Kenwood VR407 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood VR407

Scott B
02-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Hello, I have a used Kenwood VR407 system that I was assured everything worked perfect. However no matter what I try, I can only get the front 2 speakers to work in stereo, I cannot get all the speakers to go. I have an new TV, set to surround. I have regular cable that goes to my dvd player, then goes to the tv. Using s video cable form dvd to tv. I have the red/white audio cable going from audio out, to video 3 in on the receiver. Can only get front stereo speakers to work. Please help.

Kevio
02-23-2009, 07:24 AM
You need an optical or coax digital audio connection from your DVD to your receiver to get real surround sound.

listentospoon
03-23-2009, 02:41 PM
look at the front of the receiver, there are two buttons A SPEAKER B - select both A and B (they will be lit on the front of the receiver) and you'll have surround. to use all 5 speakers, you have to have it hooked up with a DVD player with all the required cables.
w

markw
03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
1) You will only get 5.1 sound from a DVD player* when you run either a digital coaxial cable or toslink cable from it to the proper input on the receiver. You will then set the DVD to output "bitstream" and to the receiver to output "Dolby Digital" or "DTS", if you have it. IIRC, you may not have the latter.

2) If your TV has a built-in tuner, running a toslink cable from it to the receiver can deliver sound as well. This will only pass audio from the tuner, not from any other sources.

3) The best you can get from ANY red/white audio connection is a "fake" 5 channel sound. You need to select "Dolby Pro Logic" on the receiver.

4) I strongly suggest you get hold of the manual for your stuff. It ain't plug and play anymore. A lot of answers you get here will only be understood if you reference the manual. We can offer general advice but we don't know the intricate details of how you can avail of them. Every unit is different.

*some digital cable boxes can too, depending on your service.