I'm new and I don't really know what I have? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and I don't really know what I have?

artiophile
02-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello all audio heads,
I am new to this audio game (and this website) and am becoming addicted. Here's my (short) story: I have a Denon AVR 1803 surround receiver,a pair of Phase Technology 9T floor standing speakers,a Phase Technology V6 center channel as my home system(so far). I got all this stuff for FREE from a client. What is the quality of this stuff? Anyone know? It all sounds pretty good.
Then.....I recently received a pair of AMR (PRM 308L) speakers with a Nakamichi surround receiver (for free) which I have in my art studio. Love the sound. What's the quality of this stuff?
I am eager to learn more.I can see myself becoming obsessed with this to build a great sound system. what better place to learn than from people who know such as you folks on this site.
I look forward to hearing and sharing knowledge from other audio enthusiasts.

02audionoob
02-21-2009, 09:04 PM
I like the Denon receivers pretty well. I see an AVR-1803 went for $78.47 on eBay, recently. The Denon receivers do a nice job with movie soundtracks and they're not too bad for music, too.

JoeE SP9
02-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the group. You must have some marvelous clients. We all should be so lucky.

Mr Peabody
02-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Although Denon makes a decent receiver the 1803 is their entry level so will be limited on features/capability and not sound as good as some of the higher end models. I'm not familiar with the speaker brands you mentioned. Nakamichi used to make some very good gear and world renound for their cassette decks. I haven't had the opportunity to hear any of their HT or more current gear. Just guessing, I'd bet the Nak would sound better than the Denon. Then again, Nakamichi has all but disappeared from the U.S. market. Anyone knw what become of them?

JoeE SP9
02-22-2009, 10:05 AM
I just happened to check their website today. The only products shown were some "lifestyle" looking things.

02audionoob
02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
From what I heard, the Nakamichi HT equipment was mass-market BestBuy level stuff...nothing to write home about. I saw a craigslist ad for a Nak HT receiver a few months ago. They wanted $75 for it.

Those cassette decks were a totally different level of quality. Niro Nakamichi has been gone for over 10 years and the company has changed hands, gone into bankruptcy, and of course come back with the 'lifestyle' equipment. Niro now... http://us.niro1.com
(http://us.niro1.com)

hermanv
02-22-2009, 08:50 PM
If you really want to know the quality of your equipment, I only know of two choices.

1. Form a friendship with an audiophile, to find one, check for local clubs in your area. Go and listen to a system or systems regarded as quality equipment. Decide if it sounds better to you (many people are perfectly happy with a mass market system and claim not to hear any difference, others are never satisfied even with systems costing as much as a decent car)

2. Find a local Hi End shop, check on the internet to see if they are any good. If they get positive reviews, go and listen to their demo equipment.

Fair warning, many audiophiles expect good sound from systems costing $5,000 to $10,000 or more. Go braced for sticker shock. If you find yourself seduced, consider used equipment. Anyone on this forum will be happy to provide some links.

My fist attempt at a quality system was an all Denon system, I wasn't happy and it wasn't long before I replaced it. Many would not agree with my choices.

JoeE SP9
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
If you really want to know the quality of your equipment, I only know of two choices.
Many would not agree with my choices.
Who is this many person and where is he? He's obviously a bloomin' idiot.

hermanv
02-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Who is this many person and where is he? He's obviously a bloomin' idiot.That would be George Many, lives down the street, thinks Radio Shack or Bose is the last word in home HiFi.