Yamaha Help Request [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Help Request

Mr Peabody
02-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I went over to help a guy set up his Yamaha receiver. He had a RX-v663 and wanted the dual zone to work. Well it was more of a challenge than I thought it would be, in fact, I didn't get it to work at all. After wrestling with the problem for a couple hours come to find out he didn't really care about listening to different content, he just wanted to play music in the other room, so I set them up on the "B" speakers and he was happy. I am not though, really if he is I guess who cares but it's my ego.

Something was missing, you could assign the "extra speaker" terminals to "presence" where they become essentially ambience to the front mains, "B" to the "A" or "Zone 2". I got sound to the speakers using "presence" and "B" but never to Zone 2. The manual uses "zone 2" and "zone b" but never did he read what the difference was. Zone 2 could either be set up using the external speaker terminals or preamp outs. He says he didn't have a second remote but I couldn't figure out how to control the volume or select source for the 2nd zone.

So if any one can enlighten me on this I'd appreciate it. I probably should download the manual but he was doing the reading and seemed to cover the majority of it without the 2nd zone really being explained.

bubslewis
02-21-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a Yamaha RX-V2500 surround receiver. The manual states that the presence terminals can be used for zone 2 speakers.

As with the manual for the RX-V663, my RX-V2500 manual doesn't clearly differentiate zone B from zone 2. The way I interpret the confusing instructions is that zone B is referred to when using speakers in another room using the internal power of the Yamaha and controlling the volume from the Yamaha with speakers set to "B'.

They seem to refer to it as zone 2 when using an external amplifier connected to the Yamaha's zone 2 output jacks, with speakers connected to the external amp. I think... I guess.... Yamaha doesn't seem to be noted for overly simple manuals, but then they do pack alot of different features into their receivers which would tend to lead to lengthly instruction manuals.

Bill

Mr Peabody
02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks, that's the impression I got as well. Did your receiver come with two remotes? If not, any idea how to control Zone B, ie. volume, input selection?

blackraven
02-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Zone 2 usually refers to the preamp of the receiver hooking up to another amp as you surmised.

bubslewis
02-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks, that's the impression I got as well. Did your receiver come with two remotes? If not, any idea how to control Zone B, ie. volume, input selection?

You control the volume, etc. in zone two (and/or zone three) with the remote unit supplied with the receiver. However you need an infared emitter in the main room and an infared receiver in the second/third room. These, of course, are not supplied with the receiver.

Bill

Mr Peabody
02-22-2009, 07:40 PM
So I guess it would work similar to these dual tuner satelite receivers where the remotes would have a different signal and the receiver would recognize whether it's a command from zone 1 or 2? I saw where the manual said a repeater was needed but the point of zone 2 was to allow for two different sources to be heard at the same time. So you'd have to have a second remote, right?

bubslewis
02-22-2009, 07:53 PM
According to my RX-V2500 manual ""The zone 2 and zone 3 features enable you to set this unit to reproduce separate input sources in the main room, second room (zone 2) and third room (zone 3). You can control this unit from the second or third room using the supplied remote control".

This sounds like you only need the one remote supplied with the unit.

Bill

Mr Peabody
02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
If you wanted to listen to a CD in one room and some one else watch a movie in the main room it would be mighty inconvenient to share the remote and I didn't see any way on the receiver for control of the separate zones, unless the repeater helps with this. Yamaha sure put a half hearted effort into this feature.

bubslewis
02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
To watch a movie in one room and listen to a CD in another using one remote you would have no alternative but to share the remote. You'd be switching zones electronically using command codes to the Yamaha receiver. Kinda of a PITA. Also, The Yamaha will only transmit analog signals to zones two and three. Will not transmit usable DTS or DSP type signals when you are watching video.

On the upside, since we're talking about zones... I have one listening room. I listen to 2 channel music from the Maggies using the "direct" feature on the Yamaha. This bypasses all sound processing.

I also use the Maggies as front speakers in my home theater set up, using totally mismatched center and surround speakers. The resulting lack of timbre has serious effects on the sound quality when I watch movies. But since my priority is music first, HT second, I live with this.

After having browsed over the multiroom section of the Yamaha manual, I believe I could use my one room for both listening and optimal movie watching. I could set the maggies up in zone 2 when I listen to music. Then I could work on getting timbre matched speakers for the HT in which I would set them for zone 1 (main room). All this could happen in the same room. Placement of the front HT speakers may be an issue, since they must not physically interfere with the space and listening requirements of the Maggies.

Something for me to think about...... Thanks Mr. P for bringing the subject up.

Bill

Mr Peabody
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
If you were going to do that in the same room it would be easier to use the Maggies on "B" main speaker terminals and the HT mains on "A" main speaker terminals. Or, and maybe you were saying this already, use the Zone 2 with preamp outs to the B&K and run the HT mains off the Yamaha. Yeah, speaker terminals wouldn't work for the Maggies as you are using an external amp.

Rich-n-Texas
02-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Mr. P, I'd like to be able to help you, but I didn't read much about zone 2 & 3 setup on my 3800 when I bought it. I can tell you that it does come with an extra, abbreviated version of my main remote but that one just sits on a shelf unused. I'm not familiar with his model number receiver either. Sorry bud.

kexodusc
02-23-2009, 05:28 AM
Yamaha manuals have become as cryptic as Denon manuals, I had a helluva time getting this to work with mine.

But the 1 remote thing is pretty common with this feature.

To watch a movie in one room and listen to a CD in another using one remote you would have no alternative but to share the remote.
Not quite, one can actually physically use the controls on the receiver too while the remote is in the other room. Or if you have universal remote you're set. Not the end of the world and for the minute number of people that actually use these features, I'm not surprised most a/v manufacturers don't include another remote that just drives up cost for the majority of people that never use this feature. Which begs the question why they include it? Except 1 company did, so they all do now.

There's a certain comfort in simplicity that HT receivers/processors are losing.

Mr Peabody
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
That's true, I'm like Rich, I have a second remote that isn't even unwrapped and probably won't be. What I can't understand Kex is how does the receiver know if the command is for zone 1 or 2? If I'm in the other room and crank it what's to keep the movie room from cranking further as well? It looks like Yamaha assumes the owner will be in either one place or the other and didn't think part of the family may be watching movie while others jamming Mastadon. I guess doing both would probably tax the poor Yamaha pretty good though. Universal remote is a good idea. But if you can't control each zone separately why bother.

bubslewis
02-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Again from the RX-V2500 manual..."The supplied remote control can be used to control zone 2/3. You can even select the input source and control components located in the main room directly from the second/third room regardles of the listening condition in the main room.".

On another page... " Select "fixed" to fix the Zone 2 OUTPUT volume to a standard line level. Select "variable' to adjust Zone 2 OUTPUT volume simultaneously using volume +/- on the remote control".

If I interpret this correctly, you are watching a movie in the main room and a CD is playing in another room (Zone 2). Using the remote in the main room, you access zone 2 and set the volume using the above mentioned "fixed" option for zone 2. Then you punch in main room controls on the remote and go back to controlling main room volume. Zone 2 volume should stay where it is regardless of what you do with the main room controls. Of course I may be wrong, but one thing for sure... Kex was right on the money... who in their right mind would want to utilize this feature???

tx,
Bill

bubslewis
02-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Replying to my own above posting...... After further reflection I don't see how this is possible. Assuming the amplifier is not an integrated one in Zone 2, that would mean you are sharing the preamp in the yamaha unit with its internal amp and the zone 2 amp.If this were true then if you turned the volume up in the main room then zone 2's volume would have to go up correspondingly.

I don't think you can split the Yamaha's preamp between the Yamaha's internal amp and the zone 2 amp (can you?). I'm not sure what effect having an integrated amp in zone 2 would be.

Bill

Mr Peabody
02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Are we having fun yet?

bubslewis
02-23-2009, 08:58 PM
Mr. P. I was hoping you'd find out the answers to all these questions and then let us all know. I sure aint gonna do it.

kexodusc
02-24-2009, 04:41 AM
I never used mine other than the day I tried to set it up, so I'm not much help here. To be honest, this is one of those features I wish wasn't even included. How about a price cut or an ipod dock or something somewhat useful instead?

I did have the idea I could rig up some deck speakers for outdoors last year but I never follow up on it. Oh well.

Mr Peabody
02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Bubs, you slacker :) I appreciate the replies you gave already. I think I'm coming to understand that this is a feature Yamaha can put on paper but really isn't a functioning feature. It's similar to those scum who put only partially functioning HDMI on a receiver.