(Most of) The new Mastadon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : (Most of) The new Mastadon

Finch Platte
02-20-2009, 01:53 PM
http://music-spheres.blogspot.com/2009/02/mastodon-crack-skye.html

kexodusc
02-20-2009, 02:01 PM
F'n awesome Finchy! I thought I was the only fan of the tusked-ones here.

Mr Peabody
02-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I like the Metal but what bit I heard of these guys go beyond what can be recognized as music. Which album stands out and how would you categorize them? Is there anything there besides the speed Metal and growling? I haven't been able to get Finch's link to work yet. Some day I should learn to use a computer.

kexodusc
02-21-2009, 07:28 AM
I like the Metal but what bit I heard of these guys go beyond what can be recognized as music. Which album stands out and how would you categorize them? Is there anything there besides the speed Metal and growling? I haven't been able to get Finch's link to work yet. Some day I should learn to use a computer.
I liked their second album (Blood Mountain) a bit more than the first. - they remind me of a proggy, pantera-ish thrashy punk band if you can call it that. There's lots of melody in the music, some of it surprisingly simple, but you're not the first person I met that didn't get past the vocals and speedy drums and riffs. Not for everyone, but I really like them.

Mr Peabody
02-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Well I like the Prog and most of Pantera so maybe I'll check out that 2nd album. I also like Helmet which is a band that don't change gears much.

Did you ever pick up Indestructible? It's a must for the Disturbed fan.

I just listened to Thirty Round Clip, have they seen light of day up North? Take a pound of Disturbed and mix in a cup of Korn and you basically have a recipe for 30RC. It's still a pretty good album though because they Rock despite the borrowed styles.

kexodusc
02-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Well I like the Prog and most of Pantera so maybe I'll check out that 2nd album. I also like Helmet which is a band that don't change gears much.

Did you ever pick up Indestructible? It's a must for the Disturbed fan.

I just listened to Thirty Round Clip, have they seen light of day up North? Take a pound of Disturbed and mix in a cup of Korn and you basically have a recipe for 30RC. It's still a pretty good album though because they Rock despite the borrowed styles.
I just haven't brought myself to getting that Disturbed title yet. I'm sure I will eventually.

If you can handle Pantera and Disturbed, you can handle Mastadon - it's a little math-rockish at times but if you listen for it you'll hear some decent music underneath the complexity and heavy.
I threw their first album (Leviathan) on today for the first time in awhile. It's a pretty darn good album too, so I guess you can't go wrong with either. It may actually be the one preferred by more people. Either way.

Duds
02-23-2009, 06:15 AM
ummm, nope! Huge fan here!

F'n awesome Finchy! I thought I was the only fan of the tusked-ones here.