Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman...

bobsticks
02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
...what a trainwreck. I'm surprised no one's jumped on this yet...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXpYk7WGN5Y&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXpYk7WGN5Y&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Sugar Beats
02-19-2009, 11:08 AM
A bunch of people think he's just doing it for show and to drum up interest in his new choice of "career" as a "rapper!"

I've heard a bunch of buzz that it's all just a hoax.

Dr. Drew thinks he's gone "bananas" on drugs/alcohol.

I guess it's either one or the other.

kexodusc
02-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I'll come to your house and chew gum.
Damn, the awesomeness of this isn't the trainwreck spectacle of Joaquin, it's Letterman's figuring out he's toast and having fun with him on the spot.

Mr MidFi
02-19-2009, 11:45 AM
The whole thing is an Andy Kaufmann-style hoax. He has his buddy, Casey Affleck, following him around and shooting everything he does as a "documentary" on his "career change" as a "rapper". This is just part of that.

It's the world's least-funny joke, and it's going nowhere fast.

3-LockBox
02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
The whole thing is an Andy Kaufmann-style hoax....
It's the world's least-funny joke, and it's going nowhere fast.

Well, that would put it up there (or down there) with Kaufmann. Andy did a lot of stuff that was supposed to be funny, but when you and you're partner are the only ones in on the joke, its tough to watch. Just like Kaufmann's Letterman appearence and Kaufmann's Fridays appearence. They were trainwrecks to watch, but years later, we find out its a hoax.

I'm sure this Joaquin thing is too.

nightflier
02-19-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm going to side with Dr. Drew. Joaquin doesn't strike me as a Kutcher-type prankster. In this clip he's a little slow on the uptake, and that's certainly not like him at all. In the past he was described as being very serious, polite, witty, and intelligent, i.e. very much unlike in this. He even seemed to loose his cool there a couple of times. If this was a joke, that wouldn't have happened. Don't be surprised if he shaves his head soon and has a Heche-like breakdown. Let's hope he doesn't pull a Pee-Wee Herman career-ending stunt. I also read somewhere that he has never dealt on a real level with his brother's death, so maybe that's coming back to haunt him, too.

Sad, really. I liked him in Return to Paradise, Signs, The Village, Gladiator, Walk the Line, We Own the Night, and several others I can't remember, now.

3-LockBox
02-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Let's hope he doesn't pull a Pee-Wee Herman career-ending stunt.

I know what you mean, but PeeWee Herman wouldn't get fired if he did something like that today. You can almost get away with that now on TV. I'm with you though, I really hope he's joking.

Sugar Beats
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm going to side with Dr. Drew. Joaquin doesn't strike me as a Kutcher-type prankster. In this clip he's a little slow on the uptake, and that's certainly not like him at all. In the past he was described as being very serious, polite, witty, and intelligent, i.e. very much unlike in this. He even seemed to loose his cool there a couple of times. If this was a joke, that wouldn't have happened. Don't be surprised if he shaves his head soon and has a Heche-like breakdown. Let's hope he doesn't pull a Pee-Wee Herman career-ending stunt. I also read somewhere that he has never dealt on a real level with his brother's death, so maybe that's coming back to haunt him, too.

Sad, really. I liked him in Return to Paradise, Signs, The Village, Gladiator, Walk the Line, We Own the Night, and several others I can't remember, now.

Hey Flier, I think I tend to lean more towards your thinking here...
The behavior seems to be something (to me) other than a prank of sorts. I hope that he can get his act straightened out! I think he's a huge talent and have loved many of the movies you already named him in. Signs, Gladiator (didn't you just hate him in that!), Walk the Line (truly amazing) & We Own the Night are all favorites of mine that he's done. I guess in time it'll all play out and we'll see (I hope) what's really going on. And if he needs it, I hope he gets the help he needs!

thekid
02-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Either a brilliant comic performance as a straight man or the next Hollywood "tragedy".....
Looks like he is auditioning for the Howard Hughes story.....

Swish
02-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm not sold on this. As a confirmed skeptic, I think this is a joke, just like global warming.

bobsticks
02-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not sold on this. As a confirmed skeptic, I think this is a joke, just like global warming.

I feel a sigbet coming on...

Hey Swishy, thanks for the "Darker My Love"...that one kinda slipped the radar betwixt the others. I gotta great listen on the way home today...solid power pop with some ethereal whisps and occasional jangle. Not bad work from a self-professed geezer...

3-LockBox
02-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I liked the clip though...harkens back to the days when Dave ****ed with people and could care less about kissing celebrities' asses. Lettermen was much more fun on the late late circuit. I know he has to tone it down on the early show time but I wished he'd let loose like the good ol days.

nightflier
02-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Just stumbled on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywPKkgs6Kc&feature=related

Not so sure Joaq-Phoen-cum-Grizzly-Adams is entirely on the right track, here.

Swish
02-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Just stumbled on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vywPKkgs6Kc&feature=related

Not so sure Joaq-Phoen-cum-Grizzly-Adams is entirely on the right track, here.

...he should not give up his day job.

nightflier
02-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Ouch, that must have hurt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pflgMxxBPuY