intermittent center channel volume [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : intermittent center channel volume

hawaiiguy
03-16-2004, 06:21 PM
please help! my older jvc av receiver's center channel volume intermittent goes down to a much lower level. if i manually raise the volume (via digital center channel volume control on the receiver or on the remote) to max, the volume pops back to the proper level. there is no effect if i lower the volume. to me, it behaves like an old nondigital dirty volume rheostat. i checked the speaker cables and they're fine.

should i open the receiver and squirt electrical contact cleaner on the probable control? or should i give up and just turn it in to the service center? thanks for any advice.

woodman
03-16-2004, 08:03 PM
please help! my older jvc av receiver's center channel volume intermittent goes down to a much lower level. if i manually raise the volume (via digital center channel volume control on the receiver or on the remote) to max, the volume pops back to the proper level. there is no effect if i lower the volume. to me, it behaves like an old nondigital dirty volume rheostat. i checked the speaker cables and they're fine.

should i open the receiver and squirt electrical contact cleaner on the probable control? or should i give up and just turn it in to the service center? thanks for any advice.

No, there's nothing that you can do to solve your problem ... it's not likely to be any "dirty contact" of any sort. Much more likely is an intermittent circuit problem in the center channel amplifier. If the unit is more than 4-5 years old, I don't recommend that you seek professional service on it. A new receiver is your best option, whether you want to face it or not. Sorry that this is probably not the advice that you were hoping for, but it IS the best advice anyone could give you. Believe me - I've spent a lifetime working on this gear and know whereof I speak.

hawaiiguy
03-17-2004, 09:55 AM
thanks, woodman. even bad news is better than wrong info, right? hawaiiguy.