Alesis [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Alesis

Darcher84
03-16-2004, 05:19 PM
How many peep here has Alesis Speakers? and what do you think about them?

www.alesis.com

Worf101
03-16-2004, 06:13 PM
I've recorded on Alesis boards and used their monitors. Good stuff, expensive stuff... definately not for the "sunday driver" type listener.. and not for a person who likes a "colored" sound. They make sound recording equipment... NOT artsy fartsy mains for audiophiles.. I prefer Tannoy's in the studio but can definately live with Alesis...

Da Worfster :o

Darcher84
03-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Is it better to have speakers like Alesis for music listening and stuff than like the JBL Studio Series?

Darcher84
03-18-2004, 08:40 PM
I have a pair of Alesis Point 7 monitors but are those better than my JBL S26? Meaning do you think the Point 7 will put out better sound?

Worf101
03-18-2004, 09:07 PM
If you're not doing either of those or using them as "nearfield" monitors for your home computer... stick with the JBL's. These monitors are tight, not loud..

Da Worfster

Darcher84
03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
If you're not doing either of those or using them as "nearfield" monitors for your home computer... stick with the JBL's. These monitors are tight, not loud..

Da WorfsterAre you saying the JBL's are tight and not loud? Isnt is usualy better if the speakers were tighter? meaning more percise sound? Anyways I dont listen to music that loud like concert.

pelly3s
03-19-2004, 05:35 PM
Alesis stuff is ok at best. Nothing to write home about if you are looking for a good set of studio monitors to use for listening at home without breaking the bank go with yorkvilles. If you wanna just say screw it and drop the cash go with Dynaudios or Genelecs. Another good way to go is an older pair of JBL monitors or the JBL LSR. I would even go with a pair of Events before the Alesis. The Hafler's are nice too. I work in studios and handle pro audio for a living so i've delt with a lot of different monitors.

Darcher84
03-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Alesis stuff is ok at best. Nothing to write home about if you are looking for a good set of studio monitors to use for listening at home without breaking the bank go with yorkvilles. If you wanna just say screw it and drop the cash go with Dynaudios or Genelecs. Another good way to go is an older pair of JBL monitors or the JBL LSR. I would even go with a pair of Events before the Alesis. The Hafler's are nice too. I work in studios and handle pro audio for a living so i've delt with a lot of different monitors.Well I can say I already have a pair of Alesis Point 7 monitors and I am using them all the time when i listen to my music since they play like live sound but does the other brands sound better like the Events?

pelly3s
03-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Every other brand I listed has a more flat response, some with a much greater frequency range. A pair of genelecs will allow you to hear things in the mix that you never knew were there same with many of the others. The Events are great too and allow you to hear really deep into the mix. The better the studio monitor the more detailed each individual peice in the song is. I feel that the Point 7's color the sound a little too much to be a good monitor, they make a much better home audio speaker, but if you want the best uncolored quality you have to spend the money

Darcher84
03-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Is this not true then????

Alesis Point Seven Studio Reference Monitors

Perfect for smaller nearfield applications when you still want a reference quality sound. Here is the official description:
Point Seven Near Field Studio Reference Monitor
The Point Seven offers all the qualities you need from a professional mix reference monitor: accurate, non-hyped frequency reproduction, excellent transient response and precise imaging in a compact, affordable, fully magnetically-shielded speaker. This means that you can use the Point Seven in close proximity with a computer or video monitor without damaging the screen phosphors, making the Point Seven ideal for multimedia and post-production audio applications. Despite its small size, the Point Seven offers great bass transients through a combination of two factors: its unique non-woven carbon fiber woofer cone and a dual front-vented SuperPort system. The carbon fiber driver cone allows it to travel quickly without flexing or distorting, and the front-positioned ports allow you to place the Point Seven flush against a wall and still take advantage of their excellent low-frequency response. The Point Seven's proprietary tweeter utilizes a silk dome for crisp, detailed highs without causing ear fatigue during lengthy mix sessions. The Point Seven also offers excellent power handling (50W continuous program, 100W peaks) for a small speaker, making it a great choice for any monitoring application where studio space is a major concern.

New retail was 299.00

Darcher84
03-20-2004, 08:15 AM
In here and other sites I have seen that have said about Point 7 are saying they are uncolored.

This Guy
03-20-2004, 08:29 AM
Darcher, that was Pelly's opinion on the monitors, and you're comparing it to an advertisement for them. None of them aren't true, just cuz it's his opinion doesn't mean the advertisement is wrong, and the same goes the other way. And WHY do you even care how these compare to other speakers. You've been asking this question for months and never take into consideration what we say. Go listen to some speakers and see for YOURSELF if these match up with the competition. It's not that hard, go into a dealer and listen to what they got, you could even bring in your Alesis and put them side by side with some competition.

Darcher84
03-20-2004, 08:31 AM
Every other brand I listed has a more flat response, some with a much greater frequency range. A pair of genelecs will allow you to hear things in the mix that you never knew were there same with many of the others. The Events are great too and allow you to hear really deep into the mix. The better the studio monitor the more detailed each individual peice in the song is. I feel that the Point 7's color the sound a little too much to be a good monitor, they make a much better home audio speaker, but if you want the best uncolored quality you have to spend the moneyLook at this site.

http://www.sweetwater.com/publications/sweetnotes/sn-spring97/page-10.html

pelly3s
03-21-2004, 03:27 AM
i'm just saying i've used them and i think they are awful. everyone has their own opinions though. i'll stick with Genelecs or Dynaudios though

Darcher84
03-21-2004, 08:32 AM
i'm just saying i've used them and i think they are awful. everyone has their own opinions though. i'll stick with Genelecs or Dynaudios thoughWhat part of the sound that it plays is bad?? Like is there too much high mids or the highs arent clear or the bass is not enough or not enough low mids so forth?

markw
03-21-2004, 08:57 AM
I have a pair of Alesis Point 7 monitors but are those better than my JBL S26? Meaning do you think the Point 7 will put out better sound?

"better sound" is a pure personal, subjective decision. You've got both of them. Why don't you decide for yourself?

If you like 'em, fine. Live long and prosper. If you need others approval to like 'em then I think you've got a little growing up to do.

You ask others opinions and when you get them you argue with them. That's not really a way to endear youeself with the genreral population here. Pretty soon the "die hards" will simply ignore you and all your responses will be from newbies, at least until they see what they are up against.

Witness your responses to your post on this subject yesterday...

Just some friewndly advice for you to do with as you please...