Anyone read/bought this book? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read/bought this book?

atomicAdam
02-17-2009, 03:06 PM
http://www.getbettersound.com/thebook.html

Seems it is about speaker set up in a variety of environments. I kind of am interested in reading it but for $44 and the general amount of fluff and subjectivity out there I could think of better things to do with $44.

what do you all think?

Kevio
02-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Probably will make a bigger difference to your system performance than $44 worth of premium speaker cable.

Deadeye
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I recommend Good Sound by Laura Dearborn. Every one new to this hobby/obsession should read if not purchase a copy of this book. I used to keep a couple of copies around to give to people who were interested in better sound.

E-Stat
02-17-2009, 07:06 PM
what do you all think?
I have not, although I've read quite a few of his posts over at AA. Jim Smith is a sharp guy. Alternately, I've spent a similar amount on Stereophile test CDs and a Radio Shack SPL meter. I find them indispensable for optimum speaker placement as well. They helped me optimize the placement of my speakers and bass traps upstairs to get a very neutral response.

rw

Deadeye
02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
I have not, although I've read quite a few of his posts over at AA. Jim Smith is a sharp guy. Alternately, I've spent a similar amount on Stereophile test CDs and a Radio Shack SPL meter. I find them indispensable for optimum speaker placement as well. They helped me optimize the placement of my speakers and bass traps upstairs to get a very neutral response.

rw

I couldn't agree more. The TRS SPL meter and Stereophile CD's are so handy and inexpensive everyone should own them. For anyone who builds their own speakers they are almost a requirement.
I've got one of the old ones with the analog meter. It came with an ADC Eq that is history.

JohnMichael
02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
I have thought about it but I would not be pleased if I bought it and there were not several ideas that would improve the sound I have. That money could be used to buy new vinyl. Or a deposit on new cables.

winston
02-22-2009, 08:42 PM
........................i might not be qualified to say this.?...............................

IMO people should learn to live with their equipment" and know how their systems work (over time,) (i will live with the SPL METER / and the TEST CD) as E-Stat stated them two components are indispensable. that said we buy speakers from a $100. upwards to thousands of dollars. if that $44 bucks could transform, say your modest price MARTIN LOGAN CLS IIz's into a great sound-stage depth and width tighter and more defined low end. without having to go out and spend a lot more $$$$$ on real traps diffusors and stuff, it would have been OK but its not... just for the RECORD i do not own a pair of those martin Logan's but i know them well. spl meter and the test CD is a must have period....

atomicAdam
02-23-2009, 06:02 PM
thanks for the response and suggestions. i think i am going to get the book. even though i don't think i've paid more than $10 on a book since college, i suppose $44 really isn't that bad.

i'll let you all know what i think. I am going to get the other book suggested by Deadeye as well. book report time i suppose.

JoeE SP9
02-23-2009, 06:36 PM
Deadeye is gone JoeE SP9 has his user name and Avatar back. I couldn't remember them. I wanted to participate so I used Deadeye. It's good to be me again.

If you don't already own a test CD and SPL meter you should get them first.