Center channel compatability [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Center channel compatability

red01baron
02-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Is it acceptable to mix and match a separate center channel speaker with an exisitng speaker set?

My current setup is:

1. Mirage nanostats
2. Outlaw LFM-1 Compact sub
3. Onkyo TX-SR706

The center channel nanstat is presenting a mounting challenge due to it's shape and approximity to the TV. Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

Thanks!

RoadRunner6
02-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm a little confused. Do you have the three identical Nanosats across the front or a Nanosat center channer speaker? Is it possible for you to use a center channel Nanosat for the center channel in the first case or a third regular Nanosat for the second case? You do not necessarily need a speaker that is designated as a center channel speaker. I have three identical small bookshelf speakers across the front. Nanosats are sold by the each.

It is best if you have speakers across the front from the same brand and series because they have the same tweeter which presents a smooth voicing/timbre match for the best homogenous soundstage. It will be hard to find a speaker that will closely match the voicing and sound character of the Nanosats.

I would do whatever you can with mounting modifications to keep all Nanosats with the same tweeter across the front.

http://www.miragespeakers.com/na-en/products/center-speaker/

RR6

Mr Peabody
02-16-2009, 06:39 AM
RR6 tells you right. I'd go even further and not limit it to just the tweeter. A lot of dialog and effect will come from the mid/woofer. In multichannel music or movies the 3 fronts work together to present your soundstage and must match for seamless panning and blending of sound. I'd go as far to say it's as important as having matching speakers for stereo. Many receivers will offer equalization of some kind to help match but you aren't going to be able to compensate for mismatched speakers.

red01baron
02-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Just to further clarify, I currently have 5 nanostats - 3 in the front (including the center) and three in the rear.

Given what you've explained, it seems apparent that anything but a closely matched Mirage center channel speaker would be a mistake. With that in mind, I see Mirage offers a Nano CC - do you think that would be a worthy alternative to using my existing regualr Nanostat as a center channel?

Thanks again!

Feanor
02-18-2009, 03:28 AM
Given what you've explained, it seems apparent that anything but a closely matched Mirage center channel speaker would be a mistake. With that in mind, I see Mirage offers a Nano CC - do you think that would be a worthy alternative to using my existing regualr Nanostat as a center channel?

Like RR6 said, there is nothing special about center speakers. And a good match to the left & right fronts is important: what could be a better match than three the same? I'd say stick with Nanos you've got.

Kevio
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Mirage offers a Nano CC - do you think that would be a worthy alternative to using my existing regualr Nanostat as a center channel?The regular nanostat will not fit in the center position but the seemingly similarly-sized Nano CC will. What am I messing? Is this a shielding issue?

I am personally skeptical that a) the center needs to be precisely matched to the sides and b) that two different models of speakers from the same manufacturer would be well-matched.

RoadRunner6
02-18-2009, 12:13 PM
With that in mind, I see Mirage offers a Nano CC - do you think that would be a worthy alternative to using my existing regualr Nanostat as a center channel?

Thanks again!

Yes, if you cannot mount the regular Nanostat to your liking then the Nanosat Center Channel model will be the next best voice/timbre match, a no-brainer since it apparently has the same exact tweeter.

The center channel speaker for the best spread across the front soundstage should, if possible, be the same exact speaker or at least have the same tweeter and also the same midrange. Kevio, are your left and right speakers the same exact speakers? Well, the same reasoning goes for the center speaker, which is not just for dialogue.

RR6

IBSTORMIN
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
Like RR6 said, there is nothing special about center speakers. And a good match to the left & right fronts is important: what could be a better match than three the same? I'd say stick with Nanos you've got.

The problem with center channel speakers from any manufacturer is there is usually one tweeter with two midrange and they do NOT match the sound of left and right with only one midrange. Five center channels would sound best. As anything goes from left to right through the center speaker, it might be only a slight pitch difference but the realism just isn't there as it should be.

I was putting together a H/T set for a friend of mine and had bought a pair of 90's Infinity RS8 towers for him at a good deal. I was then able to play with them and some other Infinity speakers I had to see what sounded best. I already had a pair of Overture 3's, a CC3 Center and an Overture 1 bookshelf. All four speakers were built in the 90's and have the same soft dome tweeter. RS was their low line and the Overture line was their mid. After wearing myself out switching them out, the Overture 3's sounded better as left and right but did not blend well with the CC3. The RS8 did not blend well with the Overtur 1. The overall H/T realism was hightened when the RS8's were used with the CC3. The Overture 3's sounded better with the Overture 1 of the SAME series. After learning this I later got a chance to purchase 4 more Overture 1 speakers for my H/T in the living room and with all five speakers it is very well balanced. It actually sounds better than using the Overture 3's on L/R front with the Overture 1 as center. The tone does not change as things go around the room (My wife would NOT agree to five Overture 3 Tower speakers in the living room or I would have had that) SIGH. See another thread that mentions wife covers for speakers, or something like that.

Now my basement H/T is a work in progress where I had three Overture 3's across the front, but I messed up again and bought Infinity's Prelude PFR speakers (The high line from the same decade, same tweeter) for L/R and threw off the front soundstage again. Sounds better with all three Overture 3's across the front for H/T but I use the L/R speakers for stereo. The Preludes are so sweet I will live with it for now as I listen to music 90% of the time.

Long winded again. Cliff Note version: I agree with Feanor. I hope it helps.