Realistic STA-52 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Realistic STA-52

thekid
02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
At the risk of receiving the wrath of other members who are debating what is "vintage" I am submitting some pics of a "vintage" Realistic STA-52 receiver I picked up at a flea market last weekend. Not much at only 12wpc but this one is in mint condition and will probably be fine for powering a pair of Minimus 7's I am rehabbing.

thekid
03-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Managed to work out a trade for the bigger version of the STA-52 the STA-82.
It is in very good condition overall except needs a couple of bulbs but that comes with the turf when working with 35 year old gear......

RoadRunner6
03-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Really enjoy reading your threads on all your finds and the great photos. Keep up the good work, Kid!

RR6 :thumbsup:

thekid
03-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Really enjoy reading your threads on all your finds and the great photos. Keep up the good work, Kid!

RR6 :thumbsup:

Thanks RR!

I know a lot of what I pick up is not on the high-end or particularly sought after by audiophiles but it is fun hunting for it with my son.

RoadRunner6
03-02-2009, 03:31 PM
I'm an old fart (over 63) and personally remember lots of your booty. Frequently your loot is in surprisingly good shape. Nice memories, thanks.

atsf359
03-04-2009, 07:30 PM
nice old reciever....Love the vintage stuff.....How do you post pics of your stuff on the boards...I would to show some pics of my systems...I have at least 14 pieces of vintage stuff in three systems at my house....Its cool to be able to share it with others....

02audionoob
03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
nice old reciever....Love the vintage stuff.....How do you post pics of your stuff on the boards...I would to show some pics of my systems...I have at least 14 pieces of vintage stuff in three systems at my house....Its cool to be able to share it with others....
When you're typing your reply you can click the Go Advanced button to show more options. There's a button called Upload/Manage Photos.

atsf359
03-04-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks for the info....I'll have to get some good shots of my systems and load them...thanks again
paul

thekid
03-04-2009, 08:11 PM
thanks for the info....I'll have to get some good shots of my systems and load them...thanks again
paul

Look forward to seeing your gear......
SQ issues aside I think there was at least a lot more variety to the look of the older gear as compared to todays gear.

atsf359
03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
My opinion is the older vintage equipment for the 70s and early 80s had a much more natural and fuller sound that todays mega power blast-em equipment...My techniques SB7000s will blow you out of a room with as little as 80 vintage wpc from my Sansui amp...and as ear deafening as the sound can be you can still pic out each and every instrument as clear as the day it was recorded....

atsf359
03-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Decided to get a couple pics of my equipment to share..Only thing missing is my Onkyo deck which is on the bench getting a cleaning and lube. You can even see my one SB7000 on the floor in the one pic....Thanks
paul

thekid
03-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Decided to get a couple pics of my equipment to share..Only thing missing is my Onkyo deck which is on the bench getting a cleaning and lube. You can even see my one SB7000 on the floor in the one pic....Thanks
paul

Nice amp!
Since picking up my AU-505 I have come to appreciate the early Sansui gear.

atsf359
03-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I love old Sansui equipment....I've had a fondness for it since my older brother came home from Nam in 71 or 72 with one of their monster receivers and a pair of Their solid wood cabinet speakers with the beautifull latice grills.....The sound was incredible....They make a solid built and durable unit...

RoadRunner6
03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I love old Sansui equipment....I've had a fondness for it since my older brother came home from Nam in 71 or 72 with one of their monster receivers and a pair of Their solid wood cabinet speakers with the beautifull latice grills.....The sound was incredible....They make a solid built and durable unit...

I was in Nam in 1969. Many friends had the Sanusi Receivers and the different sizes of Sansui bookshelf speakers with the beautiful Kumiko fretwork grills. There was lots of Pioneer, Trio (Kenwood) and Teac equipment around also. One of our colonels had a pair of big ones with 15" woofers shipped back from Singapore for our officer's club. My memory seems that it looked something like this photo.

Great memories.

RR6 :D

markw
03-06-2009, 05:28 AM
I was in the Phillipines at that time also. It was a great time for Japanese electronics. Many fine pieces of Japanese gear was on display in the guy's rooms. Pioneer, Sansui, Kenwood, and Teac mostly.

But, it seems Japanese speaker makers had a competition going as to who could fill up the most front panel surface area with drivers. IMNSHO, they were not the best I've ever heard, but they were available and sure looked grand.

atsf359
03-06-2009, 10:24 AM
those are my brothers speakers.....still has them...still sound fine

markw
03-06-2009, 11:28 AM
those are my brothers speakers.....still has them...still sound fineI was merely making an observation and maing a statement about the history of audio. Before going into the service I sold audio.I feel "qualified" to offer an opinion.

If you're going to take every differing opinion personally, this may not be the best environment for you.

atsf359
03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
No offense taken Mark.....I was just stating a fact that those are my brothers speakers in the picture or one that look very similar.....I love their sound.....Everyones ear is different..What sounds great to you might sound like garbage to me.....No problems here dude.......

rakeford
12-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I am the orginal owner of a STA-80 and Optimus-2B speakers, and I still have them. The speakers still works- the STA-80 is a little iffy. But, I think I gave my Realistic turntable to my sister a couple of decades ago.

I you want, I'll try to dig up the sales receipt and snap some pictures.

This was my first system- I bought it while in high school.

thekid
12-23-2009, 09:38 PM
rakeford

Welcome to AR. I picked up a pair of 2B's not too long ago and was very impressed with their sound. I enjoyed a pair of Optimus 5's until picking up the speaker they were based on-KLH 5's.