I've just joined [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I've just joined

howie_gb
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Hello,

I've been buying hi-fi and enjoying listening to music on it since the 1970s. I retired early from my job as an IT consultant three years ago and now I collect and restore antique radios and the occasional hi-fi separate. I've recently restored a NAD 7020 (burnt out transistor, capacitor and resistor), a Philips CD100 CD player (just loose connections) and a Marantz CD73 CD player (dry solder joints and knackered capacitors in the power supply). My present hi-fi system was all built in the 1980s and 1990s, but I have collected piles of kit built in the 1970s as well, all in good working order, and mainly rescued from the skip.

I'm going to do a review now about my favorite piece of hi-fi of all time, my 1983 Marantz CD73 CD player which I bought new many years ago and it still works well and sounds wonderful.

Howard

GMichael
02-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi Howard,

Welcome to AR. It's good to see that you are joining our little family. I look forward to reading your review.
What kinds of music do you like?

Mike

howie_gb
02-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the welcome.

I like all sorts of music, classical, especially baroque .... Bach, Vivaldi.... Mozart and Schubert etc, modern classical .... Philip Glass .... but as I grew up in the 1960s I still like Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd etc. I'm also very fond of American blues music and artists such as Muddy Waters and Jon Lee Hooker etc.

Regards ...... Howard

nightflier
02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Welcome. Good to have someone else here who isn't afraid of a soldering iron. I'm unfortunately not one of those people.