New to this great site... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New to this great site...

mijs
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM
I've been into audio since the 70's (even sold it for a while...crazy FUN days!). It's great to share the hobby with others. I'm into rock, indie, euro, some classical, some jazz.

System:

Cayin A-50T
Marantz SA-8001
AQ King Cobra ICs
PS Audio power cords
I design my own speakers

Cheers!

GMichael
02-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi mijs,

Welcome to AR. I like mostly PROG rock, but also get into the smooth jazz channel.
We have a few others here who like to build speakers. I'm sure they'll want to compare notes.

Mike

simmel
02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Welcome mijs.

I like anyone who hasn't put anything to do with TELEVISION in their list of equipment.:biggrin5:

thekid
02-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Welcome to AR Mijs!

I would love to see some pics of speakers you have designed/built.

RoadRunner6
02-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Welcome mijs.

I like anyone who hasn't put anything to do with TELEVISION in their list of equipment.:biggrin5:

Simon, are you sight impaired (blind)? :biggrin5:

mijs
02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Yep, I'm an audio guy, but I do have a TV and it's even color ; )

I've always been into music and listening to systems that take you there.
I've designed and built 2-way & 3-way bass reflex systems, but now I'm into folded tapered quarter-wavelength designs. It's amazing how nice a speaker sounds when its cross-over free.

If you're more into A than V, let's talk!

simmel
02-14-2009, 11:41 PM
mijs

What are your views on Bi wiring. What I mean to say is when a pair of speakers accept four terminals to each speaker, in your opinion do they sound better than with the terminals bridged or does it not make any difference.
Hope that made sense :confused5:

mijs
02-15-2009, 09:03 AM
It makes a difference, but how much varies from speaker to speaker. The big advantage of bi-wiring is that the x-over is split into two competely isolated filter circuits and unwanted interaction between the hi & low x-over circuits is eliminated. If your speakers are already set up for bi-wiring, give it a try. Set one up bridged and the other bi-wired, then send the same signal to both and see which one you like.
A local hi-fi shop will be able to give you a good demo as well.
I haven't messed with this in my designs, and now that my speakers are virtually x-over free, I probably won't.

Hope that helps! Others with more experience with this can add a lot more.

simmel
02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
My Sonus Fabers are Bi wired and have been from the beginning. Thanks for your input.

RoadRunner6
02-16-2009, 12:14 AM
I do have a TV and it's even color ... now I'm into folded tapered quarter-wavelength designs ...cross-over free.

Hey, we are really into colored TV's here! :biggrin5:

Welcome mijs. Sure would love to see some photos when you have time.

RR6 :thumbsup:

Tomcruse
02-16-2009, 01:41 AM
Hi mijs,

Welcome to AR. I like mostly PROG rock, but also get into the smooth jazz channel.

Deadeye
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Yep, I'm an audio guy, but I do have a TV and it's even color ; )

I've always been into music and listening to systems that take you there.
I've designed and built 2-way & 3-way bass reflex systems, but now I'm into folded tapered quarter-wavelength designs. It's amazing how nice a speaker sounds when its cross-over free.

If you're more into A than V, let's talk!

You want cross-over free; get yourself some full range ESL's.

All kidding aside, if you're into folded etc. designs have you tried Lowther drivers in a folded transmission line system? you can get super efficient cross-over free systems. They are great for SET amps.

mijs
02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
I haven't sprung for Lowther drivers yet. I've been using full-range Audio Nirvana drivers with some really nice results. Their mechanical & electrical specs are close to Lowther & Fostex full range drivers and they work well in TQW designs. Efficiency is 96 dB which is great with the 16w/ch A-50T. I'm sure the Lowthers have superior sound, but they'll have to wait for now.