Define: cheap [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Define: cheap

02audionoob
02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
A reference in the thread on burn-in prompted me to wonder what constitutes "cheap" cable. What do spend on a pair of interconnects? Speaker cables? How does that relate to what you spend on the electronic devices?

Or without regard to your own system, what do you think makes sense? Suppose you buy components that cost around $1,000 each. Now what would you spend on cables?

If an audiophile were to look behind my system, I might hear a "tsk, tsk" at the inadequacy of my cables...so please...don't tell.

mijs
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Hmmm...I'd call a sub-$50 cable cheap, but that doesn't say anything about its performance compared to the really cheap stock cables.

For me, there's no formula for the cable-to-electronics price ratio. I try to find the equipment (cables and electronics) that produce what I like to hear, then go after it. I also live in the "best bang for the buck" realm.

My amp (Cayin A-50T) and my cd player (Marantz SA-8001) both list in the $1000 range. I spent $130 on used ($250 new) AQ King Cobra ICs and I really like what they do, so I'm done shopping. Certainly, it's not an elite system, but it sounds terrific to me.

Try to avoid "climbing the cable ladder" step-by-step. You will save a lot of $ and frustration if you do your homework, are patient, and buy "better" used cables from the start.
(I first tried AQ Coral CQs, then AQ Diamondbacks but they didn't do it for me.)

Happy hunting!

RoadRunner6
02-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Suppose you buy components that cost around $1,000 each. Now what would you spend on cables?

If an audiophile were to look behind my system, I might hear a "tsk, tsk" at the inadequacy of my cables...so please...don't tell.

Don't ever, ever let an "audiophile" look at your cables!!! :wink5:

I would pay the same for cables for $1000 components as I would for $500 or $5000 components.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

That's how I was able to upgrade to my Emotiva XPA-5 power amp, Velodyne SMS-1 sub EQ, Panny 50" plasma, (Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro and Oppo BD-83 universal BD player later this year), etc. My budget is very limited and I spend on those items which make a definite audio and visual difference in the performance of my system.

RR6

nightflier
02-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Dayton Audio (www.partsexpress.com) is considered cheap by most standards, but I've been pretty happy with them. I'm currently using a pair of very inexpensive XLR cables that I compared to boutique Canare-terminated cables. No difference whatsoever.

kexodusc
02-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Kexodusc is cheap. Cables are merely inexpensive or expensive.

I've used everything from Radio Shack Gold to BlueJeans Cables/Tartan cables, some Daytons, Monsters, and even some Kimber Kable and Cardas.

I've experienced a few problems with cables - I had a set of stereo Monster cables that were shorting somewhere along bonding. It caused protection circuitry in a few of my components to trip. I had to get out my multimeter to figure out what the problem was.
I had a Kimber Kable (component vid) that had a defective termination, but it was replace and the new one worked fine. The Radio Shack cables were probably the worst of the bunch, but even they worked fine without any noticeable impact on sound quality.

Never had a problem with the Dayton or BJC stuff. But I guess I can say I've not observed a perfect relationship between price, performance, and quality. I can't hear a difference in interconnects that's for sure.

Kevio
02-14-2009, 07:28 AM
I would pay the same for cables for $1000 components as I would for $500 or $5000 components.I agree with this sentiment. You know, there are crappy cables out there and they should be avoided for any level of system. I'd say the sweet spot is $10-50. A lot of sales push goes into selling cables and service plans at most electronics stores. People compare prices on the big-ticket items but not so much on the add ons. Cable are high margin items for the stores. You're almost certainly paying too much. Just say no.

Ajani
02-14-2009, 05:05 PM
I agree with this sentiment. You know, there are crappy cables out there and they should be avoided for any level of system. I'd say the sweet spot is $10-50. A lot of sales push goes into selling cables and service plans at most electronics stores. People compare prices on the big-ticket items but not so much on the add ons. Cable are high margin items for the stores. You're almost certainly paying too much. Just say no.

That's about my price range for cables... I generally use Audioquest G-Snakes ($35 for 1M)... I pretty much buy them cuz they look nice and aren't that expensive... I can't say I've heard any improvement using them over my freebie cables...

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Don't ever, ever let an "audiophile" look at your cables!!! :wink5:

I would pay the same for cables for $1000 components as I would for $500 or $5000 components.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

That's how I was able to upgrade to my Emotiva XPA-5 power amp, Velodyne SMS-1 sub EQ, Panny 50" plasma, (Emotiva XMC-1 pre/pro and Oppo BD-83 universal BD player later this year), etc. My budget is very limited and I spend on those items which make a definite audio and visual difference in the performance of my system.

RR6
:incazzato:

I want new stuff too!!! :cryin:

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2009, 08:51 AM
BTW... O.T....

Define: cheap
Cheap = pixelthis. 'Nuf said?

mijs
02-15-2009, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't consider anything in the Audioquest line to be cheap quality. The key to all of this is to find something that works for you and your system.
I'm pretty much an audio guy and I was happy to find something (AQ King Cobras) that make such a difference at a relatively low price.

I've tried several $10 - $50 ICs. Some were pretty decent and some made my system sound muddy. If you like head-snapping detail coming out of your speaks, try the AQ Coral CQs (they were a little too bright for my system.) If you like a more rounded sound, the Diamondbacks aren't bad, but the King Cobras are terrific.

I always buy used cables and save around 50%!

IBSTORMIN
02-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Define: Cheap

Not worth the money you spent, regardless of the price. Monster Cables are cheap.

I agree with others and buy moderate priced good cables ($30) from BJC and spend the money on what really matters, the equipment.