Ascend CBM-170 question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ascend CBM-170 question

bbrigg
02-13-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm trying to decide on a pair of speakers for my apartment. I've been looking at the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 and was wondering about the low end. I'm in a small apartment with apparently paper thin walls and my neighbor has complained a few times. This is mainly due to my current speakers. They are some old 90s Sony's with 15" woofers. They're huge and not good, but that's beside the point. I am wondering if I get the 170s, will I have to get a sub? I realize that they are meant to be paired with one, but would it be possible to enjoy my music/movies/games without one? I'm on a tight budget with a complaining neighbor, so I would like to get away with not buying a sub. Reviews say the low end is the only weakness, which really isn't a weakness since they aren't meant to have a strong low end.

On a side note, I've been looking at the Axiom M3/M22 as well. A lot of people seem to think the Ascends are better. Any thoughts on that?

kexodusc
02-13-2009, 10:08 AM
First, welcome to ar.com

The CBM-170's in a small appartment will be fine for bass, and while you won't get the boomy Night Club thump you might from the 15" woofers you have now, I bet you hear more notes. You can add a sub later, but I'm guessing you'll keep it down volume wise, and those speakers will benefit from room gain.

I've heard both brands you mention. I have the M3Ti's by Axiom. They are a decent speaker for the money, I find they have a better midrange, less distortion but have a very flat response are very sensitive to placement. Very sensitive. They image really well with almost no toe-in, but they are fussy to place. The CBM 170's have better bass IMO, more bottom end too. They are probably "warmer" sounding than the Axiom, which many prefer. I wouldn't say they're any better though, but 2 different presentations. Some people find the high frequencies of the Axioms a bit too bright, and if you can't demo either, I think the CBM 170's would be a safer bet.

IMO the M3's are limited in volume output though, and the Ascends can play louder without as noticeable a deterioration in sound quality. Just my opinion.

bbrigg
02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I read somewhere else about the M3 sound at higher volumes degrading. I would prefer a warmer sound when watching movies, maybe not music though. I'll probably end up going with the Ascends and when I get out of this place, use them as surrounds in a 5.1 system possibly.

frenchmon
02-13-2009, 04:55 PM
First, welcome to ar.com

The CBM-170's in a small appartment will be fine for bass, and while you won't get the boomy Night Club thump you might from the 15" woofers you have now, I bet you hear more notes. You can add a sub later, but I'm guessing you'll keep it down volume wise, and those speakers will benefit from room gain.

I've heard both brands you mention. I have the M3Ti's by Axiom. They are a decent speaker for the money, I find they have a better midrange, less distortion but have a very flat response are very sensitive to placement. Very sensitive. They image really well with almost no toe-in, but they are fussy to place. The CBM 170's have better bass IMO, more bottom end too. They are probably "warmer" sounding than the Axiom, which many prefer. I wouldn't say they're any better though, but 2 different presentations. Some people find the high frequencies of the Axioms a bit too bright, and if you can't demo either, I think the CBM 170's would be a safer bet.

IMO the M3's are limited in volume output though, and the Ascends can play louder without as noticeable a deterioration in sound quality. Just my opinion.

Have you heard any of the Aperionaudio speakers? I see they have great reviews. I like the 6b's and the 6T's. I think they both look very good in the cherry. I believe they use real wood, and the spec's dont look to shabby at an unbelievable price with free shipping, 30 day free trial in home use, and a trade up deal. and a ten year warrenty. I just wonder how the speakers sound. I just may try them out....if I dont like them I can send them back within 30 days with them paying the shipping and a full refund.

http://www.aperionaudio.com

frenchmon