Prematurely replacing DLP Bulb? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Prematurely replacing DLP Bulb?

Hairsonfire
02-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Howdy folks! I have an LG 62 Inch DLP that has been going strong now for over three years. I have the replacement bulb on standby and was wondering if perhaps I should not wait for the old bulb to fail before installing the new bulb. I mean, I am a real movie freak and I am just picturing me on my third Heineken in the middle of some thilling Blu Ray title and having to deal with that . . . Any opinions or advice appreciated.

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Hairsonfire,

I don't know about LG TV's, but my Mits will give me an indication that the bulb needs to be replaced by flashing the power-on LED in a specific pattern. Nevertheless, the cartridge that contains the bulb is very easy to replace, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hope this helps.

Hairsonfire
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I am poor in Rhode Island! he he he . Well my manual states that the Green power on LED will switch to Yellow to indicate that it is approaching end of useful life of the bulb. However, I have read (heard?) that you need to also reset the bulb life tracking feature via some combination of buttons on the remote or even though it is a new bulb, that feature will treat it as the old bulb. Why does it have to be so complicated!

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
I am poor in Rhode Island! he he he . Well my manual states that the Green power on LED will switch to Yellow to indicate that it is approaching end of useful life of the bulb. However, I have read (heard?) that you need to also reset the bulb life tracking feature via some combination of buttons on the remote or even though it is a new bulb, that feature will treat it as the old bulb. Why does it have to be so complicated!
Don't let the name fool ya, I'm Rich in name only. And don't pay any attention to the CLOWNS around here either. :nonod:

Yes, there are codes that you punch into your remote that will give you access to settings and stats. I don't know about the need to reset the bulb life counter or even if that's a possibility on mine, but if you're thinking that if you don't reset that counter you'll end up with the yellow LED flashing even after you've installed the new one, that's not likely IMO. I'm sure it's all explained in the manual though. I haven't even purchased a new bulb yet and my TV's coming up on two years old now, if that tells ya anything.

nightflier
02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Ahem, it would be ill advised to pull anything out early.

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Ummm... I was told otherwise last night. :idea:

nightflier
02-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Ahem, a-ahem, pulling out the bulb early, one will never know how much has been missed. It could have lasted so much longer. Considering what bulbs cost these days.... Oh, I better stop.