Favorite TV shows that were cancelled... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TV shows that were cancelled...

Sugar Beats
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I just saw something w/ Claire Danes and it reminded me of this great show she starred in a while back, "My So-Called Life."
It wasn't on long and I thought it was great. I could never figure out why it didn't get picked up for another season. (I think it was only on for one).

Also the show "Freaks & Geeks." Did anyone else ever see that? I don't remember how long it was on, but it didn't seem like long enough.

I also loved watching "Arrested Development." I think you can still watch episodes online... I never tire of the humor on that show.

Any other shows that anyone else misses or wonders why the heck they got cancelled in the first place?

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I'd say "Scrubs" but luckily that show got picked up by ABC.

The one show I'll never forgive ABC for cancelling though is NYPD Blue. :nono:

nightflier
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Rome, Jericho, 4400.

I can understand that some shows fizzle out, but for crissakes, give them a decent ending or conclusion (like they did with Jericho).

Kam
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Firefly.

canuckle
02-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Helloooo... The Greatest American Hero!!

02audionoob
02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Swingtown. I liked the music and the sets...cars, art, furniture, etc.

kexodusc
02-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Rome,

Yeah, I missed that one, 'cept they ran out compelling, TV grade history to recreate with the actors they had. I guess in hindsight, better to go out on a high note.

Jericho Could have been so much more than what it was, but probably deserved a longer run. At least it got a conclusion, like you said.

I really miss...hmmm...actually other than those 2, there aren't many that were cancelled that I cared much for.

I could think of a dozen or so I'd like to see cancelled....but that's another thread and I'm just trying to avoid negativity, there's too much of that these days.

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 05:35 AM
How could I forget! "X-Files". :mad2:

And Alias too.

markw
02-12-2009, 06:20 AM
"The Tick" with Patrick Warburton.

Worf101
02-12-2009, 06:25 AM
"Rome" - Pheh how to take decades of epic history, compelling stories and squash them into 2 years.

"Carnivale" - Great show, amazing story, poor support from the network.

"Firefly" - One of the great television tradgedies of all time.

"The Wire" - I personally could use another year of Bubs, Bump, McNulty, Daniels, Omar and the rest.

Da Worfster

JSE
02-12-2009, 07:01 AM
I'd say "Scrubs" but luckily that show got picked up by ABC.

The one show I'll never forgive ABC for cancelling though is NYPD Blue. :nono:

I think this is still Scrub's last season. I "think" ABC just picked them up for one year.

Sucks because I also like the show.

As others have mentioned, it was a shame Firefly was cancelled.

GMichael
02-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Firefly.
I second Firefly. This show was too good to have died so young.
Stargate. I know that this one lasted forever, but I still miss it.
My Mother The Car. Can we bring this one back?
All the Star Trek shows should just run forever. I don't get tired of them. Can you picture Kirk running around all fat as he is now hitting on every 20 year old green hottie with 3 breasts, and then farting at everyone?
Boston Legal. See above.

nightflier
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
All the Star Trek shows should just run forever. I don't get tired of them. Can you picture Kirk running around all fat as he is now hitting on every 20 year old green hottie with 3 breasts, and then farting at everyone?

I practically choked on my soda (yeah I know, a bit early in the morning for a soda). Sort of reminded me of a bit that Eddie Murphy did about Elvis.

Speaking of x-files, did anyone see that most recent x-files movie? Is it even worth mentioning?

And speaking of movies from shows, I sure hope they continue making Star Trek movies. I saw the preview of the next one during the SuperBowl, and I know I'll pay to see that in the theater. Not so sure about the pimple-faced actors, but there's been so little worthwhile SciFi of late, and I really need my fix.

3-LockBox
02-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Sports Night - only lasted about two seasons (on ABC). It was superbly written and by far one of the better looking shows in its day. Creator Aaron Sorkin (who wrote the screenplay for A few Good Men and also created The West Wing for TV) wrote most of the episodes for this show, which was a behind the scenes look at a TV sports show, ala ESPN (admittedly, some episodes served as Sorkin's personal soapbox). It was a fast paced show (only 30 minutes), artfully shot with no wasted dialog.

This show never really developed an audience because while Sorkin wanted the dialog and interplay twix characters to be realistic, dumbasses at ABC insisted on a laughtrack, which almost sounds like a parody when you see the early episodes. Its no wonder people would never see more than one episode when that laughtrack always seemed to come from nowhere, and was rarely synced to what was being said. Luckily for me, I came into this show in the second season, after they had ditched the laughtrack halfway through the first.

But as well written as this show was, it suffered the same fate as another decent ABC show a decade before, Thirty Something, that is, even though the ensemble cast was made up of good looking adult males and females in realistic situations, smart dialog and movie quality cinematography, it just wasn't the escapist fvckfest that people wanted in a light-drama. No scandelous demeaning behavior, no divas, no super rich people, no teenagers acting badly, no sex... no wonder it stalled after only two seasons. A few of the actors went on to other shows (one of the women is on ABC's alleged-comedy soapopera, Desperate Housewives).

I used to work nights, and I was able to see the show in its entirety on Comedy Central. The cancellation of this show seemed to coincide with the lion's share of programing going to hell in a handbasket. All that's on now, are "reality" shows, and shows that mimic "reality" shows. If it weren't for the three or four channels on cable, I'd have little or no use for a TV, other than watching DVDs.

bobsticks
02-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Right on, brother Box! I loved that show and, of course, get to enjoy it from time to time with the boxed set. Yeah baby.

I'll agree with the aformentioned "Firefly"..."Profit" made me giggle for the season that it was on..."NewsRadio" of course...remember "Saturday Night Live", that show...wait a minute...

I seem to recall liking "Wiseguy" and "Spenser:For Hire" but I've always had pretty bad taste in the visual arts.

jrhymeammo
02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Titus! Nuff said.

Smokey
02-12-2009, 08:01 PM
That's My Mama :biggrin5:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5135SFW9XTL._SS500_.jpg

JSE
02-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Titus! Nuff said.

Titus was a great show. I'm actually going to see him in April at the House of Blues here in Houston. Can't wait.

Worf101
02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
That's My Mama :biggrin5:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5135SFW9XTL._SS500_.jpg
You're joking right? If ever a show needed to be consigned to the trash heap of history it's this one. A poor man's "Good Times" (which I hated almost as much), this "me too" belongs right up there with "Captain Nice" and a thousand other rip-offs. You're not serious.... are you?

Da Worfster

Sugar Beats
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey, I know I'm getting off thread here, but on the other one re: TV shows & your favorite "guilty pleasures," I noticed alot of y'all named "The Big Bang Theory." Just wanted to say that I started watching it cause of that & I find it's quite good! Very funny, so thanks fellas!

Smokey
02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
You're joking right? If ever a show needed to be consigned to the trash heap of history it's this one. A poor man's "Good Times" (which I hated almost as much), this "me too" belongs right up there with "Captain Nice" and a thousand other rip-offs. You're not serious.... are you?

Damn Worf, you’re too hard on yourself :D

I really like Thats My Mama and Good Times (although as you said, GT is much more refined), and have both on DVD.

Season one of That’s My Mama shows great potential, but producers had to mess with character changes in season two (like putting the character Errol in every scene that get annoying), and it crashed half way thru the season.

RGA
02-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Star Trek TNG, Voyager, Deep Space 9

Enterprise was caca - The 7 year mission that ended in 5 and should have ended after the first abysmal episode.

I wish Taxi ran longer - that show gave us Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, Andy Kaufman, and numerous others.

I would have said V - but the series was just so bad compared to the mini-series - it would be nice if they could remake it or something though.

Worf101
02-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Star Trek TNG, Voyager, Deep Space 9

Enterprise was caca - The 7 year mission that ended in 5 and should have ended after the first abysmal episode.....

I would have said V - but the series was just so bad compared to the mini-series - it would be nice if they could remake it or something though.
Agree with all of these cept "Taxi", eh... never did much for me, kinda like "Friends", not the New York City I grew up in. I find your choice of "V" to be excellent. The first mini-series was amazing. Bright, tight, well written and marvelous. One scene has always stayed with me. A young child is defacing a Visitor poster (vaguly reminiscent of Nazi posters from the 40's) with a "V" and as he's doing it, an old man with Concentration Camp numbers on his arm stops him. "You're not doing it right" says the old man, "here let me show you how." The old man then proceeds to deface the poster with a flourish. In one little scene, in one litle act you know that the torch has been passed and the resistence born.

Great drama....

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
02-18-2009, 06:26 AM
My So-Called Life was an excellent show that still miss. Probably one of my favourite shows ever!

PeeWee's Playhouse on Sunday mornings was always a great way to wind down after a wild Saturday night.

I love hospital shows, St. Elsewhere and Chicago Hope were favourites of mine that I would have liked to see continue.

There were some other shows that had short runs and never became well known, whose names I can't even remember now. In particular, I remember one show that was a night-time serial that took place in an American town during WWII. I don't think that it even held on for a full season, which was a shame because it was really very good and picked up on a particular mood in a particular place in history.

GMichael
02-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Agree with all of these cept "Taxi", eh... never did much for me, kinda like "Friends", not the New York City I grew up in. I find your choice of "V" to be excellent. The first mini-series was amazing. Bright, tight, well written and marvelous. One scene has always stayed with me. A young child is defacing a Visitor poster (vaguly reminiscent of Nazi posters from the 40's) with a "V" and as he's doing it, an old man with Concentration Camp numbers on his arm stops him. "You're not doing it right" says the old man, "here let me show you how." The old man then proceeds to deface the poster with a flourish. In one little scene, in one litle act you know that the torch has been passed and the resistence born.

Great drama....

Da Worfster

I liked the scene where Freddy tried to save that one guy who got his arm froze, then broke off