Sirius XM Preps Bankruptcy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sirius XM Preps Bankruptcy

Smokey
02-10-2009, 09:03 PM
"As expected, Sirius XM is preparing to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, according to a report late Wednesday (Feb. 10) in the New York Times.

Overwhelmed by fast-accruing debt, the satcaster needs to make a $400 million payment this month and is believed to be some $175 million short of its goal. The company is also looking at almost $1 billion in debt payments for 2009."

With 20 million subscribers which is about 18 percent of US households, one wonder why they are losing money. May be huge payout to celebrities (like Howard Stern's $500 million contract) have something to do with it :rolleyes:

pixelthis
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
At what, 10 bucks x 20 million?
THATS only 200 million.
SIRUS is one of those concepts thats flawed from the begining.
If their stuff was highq then fine...BUT IT AINT.
Why pay for something that is free?
A friend likes the service to listen to talk radio, but there is nothing there you on find on the net.
Dont have the net at work? DOWNLOAD PODCAST.
Sirus is a hammer looking for a nail.:1:

Groundbeef
02-11-2009, 05:05 AM
I never really bought into the sat radio thing. It sounded ok at first, but then I decided I really didn't want to pay for radio.

Secondly, I get XM/Sirrus on my DirecTV channels. It is OK, but they don't play music all the time. Everyso often they have "commercials" for XM/Sirrus services, and other things. If I'm paying for "commerical free" radio, it would be best to include commercials that are produced by your home company.

All, in all, I just wasn't impressed with it.

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2009, 06:46 AM
THATS only 200 million.
A friend likes the service to listen to talk radio, but there is nothing there you on find on the net.
STFU dumbass.

Not good news for me. I just sub'ed to the "Mostly Music" plan @ $11/mo, because I like the Classic Rock stations "Deep Tracks", "Classic Rewind" and "Classic Vinyl", but there are also some other more contemporay stations that satisfy my Rock-n-Roll needs as well. Other than the initial cost of hardware (I went the cheapest route possible) the expense for me was easily managable. I dropped HBO/Cinemax from my FiOS TV plan and I'm ending my subscription to Blockbuster since I don't really rent too many DVD's at this time, so that more than makes up for my monthly plan.

The thing is, here in North Texas the local FM Rock radio stations absolutely SUCK with the exception of one or two, and only during certain times of the day. When I come home from work I just press one button on my remote and my favorite music genre starts playing with NO commercials... another aspect of FM radio I hate. To top it off, on Deep Tracks, the DJ's I grew up with at WMMR in Philly are the DJ's that spin the CD's throughout the day. These DJ's were part of the infancy of "Album Oriented Rock" at MMR, which Led Zeppelin and I'm sure many other Super Groups of the time were strong supporters of (Led Zep refused to release singles in their heyday).

If it's true that they're really going to file Chap. 11, then that's a sad day for me and the DJ's that were such an integral part of my musical upbringing. :(

Woochifer
02-11-2009, 05:09 PM
The problem I have with Sirius XM is that they've eliminated a lot of the more adventurous music channels as part of the merger. Three of the channels that I regularly listened to as part of the XM feed on Directv are now gone. If I was an XM subscriber, I would've canceled right then and there.

Sirius had a different programming focus than XM, but it seems that their programming is now mostly bumping the XM channels. Sirius is more about celebrity DJs, sports, and a mainstreamed variety of music channels. I thought about getting Sirius so I could get the radio feeds for the L.A. sports teams that I don't pick up in the Bay Area. I still might do it -- Vin Scully's calls on the Dodger games alone might be worth the price of admission. With the former XM channels that got axed, Sirius XM is not worth it for the music alone.

nightflier
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Well they're filing for Chapter 11, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the programming is going away, right? After all, that satellite is still spinning around up there.

But if SatRadio does go away, I wonder what that will do for HDradio, remember HDradio?

pixelthis
02-11-2009, 11:16 PM
STFU dumbass.

Not good news for me. I just sub'ed to the "Mostly Music" plan @ $11/mo, because I like the Classic Rock stations "Deep Tracks", "Classic Rewind" and "Classic Vinyl", but there are also some other more contemporay stations that satisfy my Rock-n-Roll needs as well. Other than the initial cost of hardware (I went the cheapest route possible) the expense for me was easily managable. I dropped HBO/Cinemax from my FiOS TV plan and I'm ending my subscription to Blockbuster since I don't really rent too many DVD's at this time, so that more than makes up for my monthly plan.

The thing is, here in North Texas the local FM Rock radio stations absolutely SUCK with the exception of one or two, and only during certain times of the day. When I come home from work I just press one button on my remote and my favorite music genre starts playing with NO commercials... another aspect of FM radio I hate. To top it off, on Deep Tracks, the DJ's I grew up with at WMMR in Philly are the DJ's that spin the CD's throughout the day. These DJ's were part of the infancy of "Album Oriented Rock" at MMR, which Led Zeppelin and I'm sure many other Super Groups of the time were strong supporters of (Led Zep refused to release singles in their heyday).

If it's true that they're really going to file Chap. 11, then that's a sad day for me and the DJ's that were such an integral part of my musical upbringing. :(

FUNNY that you keep doing stupid crap (like paying 11 bucks for something thats free)
and then call ME a dumbass.
Musicchoice on cable is 40 channels of music that is higher quality than sat radio,
with the compression almost anything is, really.
The high end crowd that want quality dont want the service, and as long as joe sixpack can get free music of any quality THEY DONT EITHER.
Hammer with no nail.
I get thousands of radio stations on the net for FREE, again with higher sound quality,
what do I need low res crap at 11 bucks a month for?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 05:31 AM
I call you a dumbass because you've proven it time after time. Ask anybody.

Tarheel_
02-12-2009, 06:14 AM
you guys ever counted the number of horrible commercials on radio? I mean its tough to listen. I love XM on Directv. It sounds great..no car ads...it is wonderful. I hope it doesn't go away!

nothing is free..with free radio you have to tolerate all the annoying commercials and duplicate station playing the same crap.

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 07:05 AM
I agree Tarheel_. The only thing I miss about DirecTV are the XM stations I used to listen to. With FiOS, it's back to Music Choice and Urge, both of which suck.

nightflier
02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I get thousands of radio stations on the net for FREE, again with higher sound quality

...than what, a Bose clock radio? Sorry, but I have yet to get good sound quality from any Internet radio station. Technically it's possible, but there isn't a station out there doing it, unfortunately.

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree with this as well. Not only that, but I've found very few that aren't commercial free, or that give me a steady diet of the kind of music I like. One station I have bookmarked is "Pink Floyd rock-o-roma 60's" (which in actuallity plays 70's - 90's Pink Floyd anyway. IMO Internet Radio is quite chaotic and difficult to navigate. Again, XM is a one-touch option that my receiver handles quite well.

Duds
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
I gotta laugh at the people who constantly say "why pay for radio when you can get it for free"

Tell me one FM radio station where I can hear Robin Trower, Robert Cray, Traffic, songs from Metallica other than Enter Sandman, etc.

You can't honestly compare FM radio to satellite radio, FM is a joke.

bubbagump
02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Between Mel Karmazin and Charlie Ergun, Sirius/XM is here for the long haul. Karmazin is a brutal competitor and is a self made billionaire for a reason. Ergun is cut from much the same mold. Sirius will be here for a long time after they come out of bankruptcy. I'd go so far as to say they will be the dominant, mobile entertainment medium going forward. Content, real-time access and millions of bored drivers will ensure it's survival. People want to get into a car, flip a switch and listen to a live nfl or mlb game, news, entertainers, countless genre's of music, interviews and so on without having to manage an iPod's contents, spend time managing their podcasts and so on. Access completely blankets North America so when someone travels to LA from NY, they can have access to the same familiar stations without having to igure anything esle out. The only threat I see to Sirius/XM's future is wide area wifi access. If people are able to seamlessly access the internet wherever they go, hardware manufacturers will undoubtedly blanket the market with wifi enabled head units and portables. If this were widely available now, Sirius XM in trouble. Fortunately for them, this kind of service is a long way off and will probably stay that way due to terrestrial radio company lobbies.

pixelthis
02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
I run my computer through my main system and the sound, while not audiophile q,
is quite good sometimes.
AND has anybody on this site heard of file players?
You can put high q files on several types of players and listen all day...
you dont even need radio.
And theres a new form factor called an netbook, with a 8" or so screen, you can play files all day long off of it.
They thing about the sat radio, the quality sucks big time.
SO, people will pay for water but not radio, eh?:1:

pixelthis
02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
I call you a dumbass because you've proven it time after time. Ask anybody.

YEAH, I am a dumbass in spite of being proven right over and over again.
The only "dumbass" behaviour from me is trying to tell a hardhead like you anything.
HAVE to find out the hard way, which is quite entertaining , even tho sad at times.:1:

pixelthis
02-14-2009, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=bubbagump]Between Mel Karmazin and Charlie Ergun, Sirius/XM is here for the long haul. Karmazin is a brutal competitor and is a self made billionaire for a reason. Ergun is cut from much the same mold. Sirius will be here for a long time after they come out of bankruptcy. I'd go so far as to say they will be the dominant, mobile entertainment medium going forward. Content, real-time access and millions of bored drivers will ensure it's survival. People want to get into a car, flip a switch and listen to a live nfl or mlb game, news, entertainers, countless genre's of music, interviews and so on without having to manage an iPod's contents, spend time managing their podcasts and so on. Access completely blankets North America so when someone travels to LA from NY, they can have access to the same familiar stations without having to igure anything esle out. The only threat I see to Sirius/XM's future is wide area wifi access. If people are able to seamlessly access the internet wherever they go, hardware manufacturers will undoubtedly blanket the market with wifi enabled head units and portables. If this were widely available now, Sirius XM in trouble. Fortunately for them, this kind of service is a long way off and will probably stay that way due to terrestrial radio company lobbies.

People are having a hard time buying groceries and paying rent, sure they will pay for radio.:1:

bubbagump
02-15-2009, 05:43 AM
People are having a hard time buying groceries and paying rent, sure they will pay for radio.:1:[/QUOTE]

The economy will certainly impact new subscriptions for the short term but when (if??) the credit markets loosen up, Sirius will see subscriptions increase and also be able to more easily finance their way out of their short term debt. SiriusXM is a roughly 2 billion/year business. A businessman like Charlie Ergun doesn't make a move on a business like SiriusXM without a profit motive. Factor in that virtually all auto manufacturers offer Sirius XM connectivity an no cost. Many also offer paid subscriptions for a period of time to jump start new subscribers. Creative subscription financing will bring many more people in. Being able to roll a lifetime subscription (currently defined as the life of three radios in my experience) into a car loan will probably be common. They'll probably do other things such as increase advertising and add services (ie. video, video services..)to increase revenue. After what will probably be a chapter 11 re-org this week, SIrius will re-emerge stronger than ever.

Feanor
02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
THATS only 200 million.

I'm with you there, bro, (you sadly misunderstood guy).

Nobody was going to releave me of $18/mo. (as it was when I first checked), for radio. Off-the-air sucks for lack of choice where I am, but the Internet has good lots at sufficient quality.

pixelthis
02-15-2009, 09:20 PM

Nobody was going to releave me of $18/mo. (as it was when I first checked), for radio. Off-the-air sucks for lack of choice where I am, but the Internet has good lots at sufficient quality.

Like the Pioneer Kuro fiasco it all boils down to marketing.
WHO wants to buy a high end TV at "Costco"?
LIKEWISE Sat radio tries to be all things to all people.
High res music on a few genre channels, with lower q on talk , sports, and comedy
might have been a better mix than uniformly crappy low res over a wider range.
You have to give people something usefull that is not duplicated elsewhere,
especially in hard times.
Net radio sounded better, and theres a ton of it, than the sat stuff I heard.
A thousand JAZZ stations on the net, how many on sat?
Theres' a lot of cool tech out there that is just not marketable.
Alhough I would pay 10 bucks a month not to have to hear Howard Stern
ever again.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-16-2009, 05:22 AM
"A thousand Jazz stations on the net"? Really? Direct me to them dumbass. I want ALL 1,000 of them. How many are commercial free? How many of them are higher resolution than XM dumbass?

"You have to give people something usefull that is not duplicated elsewhere, especially in hard times"

And what do you give us that's useful dumbass?

Rich-n-Texas
02-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Do you swallow Feanor?

pixelthis
02-16-2009, 11:40 PM
"A thousand Jazz stations on the net"? Really? Direct me to them dumbass. I want ALL 1,000 of them. How many are commercial free? How many of them are higher resolution than XM dumbass?

A tin can on a string has higher resolution, assclown.

"You have to give people something usefull that is not duplicated elsewhere, especially in hard times"

And what do you give us that's useful dumbass?

Cant beat your company, which spent fifty million dollars on a Chip that produces
digital images (real state of the art) in greyscale

pixelthis
02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]Do you swallow Feanor?

Rich-n-Texas
02-17-2009, 04:39 AM
Where are the 1,000 stations dumbass? You didn't answer the question DUMBASS

pixelthis
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Where are the 1,000 stations dumbass? You didn't answer the question DUMBASS

You call me a "dumbass" and you can't even google jazz radio stations.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-18-2009, 05:08 AM
YOU made the argument that there were 1,000 internet stations, now you want me to Google Jazz stations? You're a ****in' DUMBASS

pixelthis
02-18-2009, 11:28 PM
YOU made the argument that there were 1,000 internet stations, now you want me to Google Jazz stations? You're a ****in' DUMBASS

LAZY-BOY---LAZY BOY...
One I JUST TUNED INTO has Diane Reeves at 128k and 44.1 khz.
You probably dont know Diane, she does actual music instead of that soul sucking crap you listen to.
THE reason I wanted you to google jazz radio stations is because thats where they
are.
36,000 LINKS in one selection, each with hundreds of Jazz stations.
one selection has 415,000 links for New york jazz alone.
1,000 WAS JUST a number I threw out there, but if you cant find at least ten thousand sources of jazz on the net, then you sonny boy are just a dumbass I guess.:1:

pixelthis
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
KAMU, texas A&M public radio, playing at 192k, 44.1.
Dont play JAZZ all the time but damn what sound quality.
MR PEE PEE you are on line, tune into this, really amazing sound.
AND TOTALLY FREE!

http://kamu.publicbroadcasting.net/radiostreaming.html

(CAN YOU BELEIVE THAT THERE ARE SOME dumbasses that actually pay
for radio, and at a much lower quality at that!:1:

pixelthis
02-18-2009, 11:47 PM
AND heres a favorite, this one is more addictive than crack.
http://www.swissgroove.ch/en/

Really amazing stuff.:1:

nightflier
02-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Pix, that gif of Bush flipping people off doesn't endear you or him to anyone here. It's actually a sad reminder of how that kiind of cowboy thinking got us to this point in the first place. Kind of like your predictions.

Duds
02-20-2009, 05:10 AM
I gotta laugh at Pixie complaining about the sound quality of sirius xm radio...afterall he does purchase Visio tvs......

Woochifer
02-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Sirius XM has about 19 million subscribers, which is more than the 17 million subscribers that Directv has. With Liberty Media (Directv's parent company) now poised to take a controlling stake in Sirius XM, they are positioning themselves to co-brand and market satellite-based radio, TV, and broadband services together.

Sirius XM's operating losses are almost entirely due to their high customer acquisition costs. Piggybacking onto Directv's marketing and on-air promotions could be a huge boost for Sirius XM, because it would reduce these acquisition costs. Analysts are already talking about Directv offering its customers Sirius XM service for a reduced cost. Directv customers already get the Sirius XM programming at home, and those who like the service (like I used to) could opt to add the satellite radio service for the car (which is where the majority of radio listening takes place) or at work.

Directv already offers free trials for premium services. Right now, I'm getting free Showtime as a "thank you" gift, and we recently added HBO, which Directv upgraded to include Cinemax for free for three months. I can easily see them offering up free trial subscriptions for Sirius XM, and if they offer up the satellite radio receivers for cheap, they can easily lock in thousands of additional subscribers.

I got issues with Sirius XM for eliminating many of my favorite music programs, but they still provide much better programming than anything on the local FM dial and they got the full play-by-play feeds for most college and pro sports. And unlike internet radio (y'know where you can find those 1,000 jazz stations :out:), you can listen to satellite radio in the car or just about anywhere else in the U.S.

Smokey
02-21-2009, 04:27 PM
I can easily see them offering up free trial subscriptions for Sirius XM, and if they offer up the satellite radio receivers for cheap, they can easily lock in thousands of additional subscribers.

I don't see why satellite radio do not offer free satellite receivers with subscription like Directtv/Dish company do. It just make a good business sense.

Groundbeef
02-22-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't see why satellite radio do not offer free satellite receivers with subscription like Directtv/Dish company do. It just make a good business sense.

Check the fine print. They are not "free". And when you cancel your contract, you need to send it all back.

And like a cell phone company, they have a penalty if you cancel early.

pixelthis
02-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I gotta laugh at Pixie complaining about the sound quality of sirius xm radio...afterall he does purchase Visio tvs......

which still sounds better than a sirius P.O.S:1:

pixelthis
02-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Pix, that gif of Bush flipping people off doesn't endear you or him to anyone here. It's actually a sad reminder of how that kiind of cowboy thinking got us to this point in the first place. Kind of like your predictions.

IF YOU THINK ITS BAD NOW, wait until Pelosi outlaws freedom of speech and they steal (excuse me, nationalize) the 401ks and teh inflation rate hits 1,000%.
DONT LIKE THE BUSH "FLIPPER"?
okay...here ya go.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Still waiting on the 1,000 Jazz stations dumbass.

nightflier
02-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Pix, is that yer mum? Figures.

E-Stat
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
As one who owns two XM radios AND two Visio TVs, I find this discussion a bit amusing. There is no doubt that 64k MP4 sound is less than ideal and does sound a bit swishy at times. Despite the fact that I'm pretty high on the tweaky scale when it comes to sonics, I nevertheless find XM to be valuable for two reasons: exposure to new music and travel independence. I have discovered many a new album with XM listening in the office and the wife and I both enjoy having its variety in our cars. She really likes the comedy channels.

As for Visio, I think they're pretty decent, but then I'm not as much of a video freak. The $900 37" unit in the bedroom is better than a $2k 35" Proscan unit it replaced and offers HD 16:9 viewing.

rw

pixelthis
02-23-2009, 11:52 PM
64k!!!
half the "bare minimum" 128k.
They would be better off describing the music to ya!
HOW DO YOU KNOW the music is any good?
And here is the whole "rub" about sat radio.
Mainly that they are following the whole common denominator into the ground.
As audio enthusiasts we are supposed to be promoting a higher standard than
circa 1969 AM RADIO.
Not one HQ channel.
And they scream about "bandwidth", well I dont wanna hear it.
You dont start something new and cheap out.
THEY didnt think quality mattered, and now are getting their lunch handed to them
by sources that are cheaper, even free, and BETTER quality.
Hope they crater and burn, and a burger hut is built over them:1:

E-Stat
02-24-2009, 06:39 AM
64k!!!
half the "bare minimum" 128k.
First of all, you must compare apples to apples. Most compressed music is found using MPEG-1 Layer 3 (aka MP3) whereas XM uses the more advanced MPEG-2 AAC (aka MP4) format. Not the same animals.

HOW DO YOU KNOW the music is any good?
The same way I knew I liked The Who using my battery powered Zenith AM radio back in 1969 - I listened to it. For what I liked, I bought the CD. As for sound quality, naturally it varies, but that is a different question.

THEY didnt think quality mattered, and now are getting their lunch handed to them by sources that are cheaper, even free, and BETTER quality.
As for me, I don't consider the quality of the medium to be the end game and never listen to it on either music system (its not even a choice). That misses the point. XM offers incredible choice for the cars. I can instantly choose any kind of music genre I want and drive 500 miles without that changing a bit. What are those mobile sources you speak of that are free and provide such variety? I'm all ears.

rw

nightflier
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
Not to deviate off the Pix-bashing track or anything, but is there any news on the re-org for XM Sirius? What's the prognosis for the future of the programming? Is, ahem... Howard Stern going to get the boot?

Duds
02-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Why in hell would Stern get the boot? you think people subscribe to sirius for the oprah channel?

Not to deviate off the Pix-bashing track or anything, but is there any news on the re-org for XM Sirius? What's the prognosis for the future of the programming? Is, ahem... Howard Stern going to get the boot?

nightflier
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
'Cause he's too expensive. And frankly, he doesn't deliver entertainment that's worth all that. XM Sirius existed before he joined and I'm sure it will survive w/o him. Times have changed and that kind of extravagance is over the top. Maybe it's time to renegotiate that contract, after all, everyone else that wants to stay on the air is renegotiating.

Duds
02-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Stern brought millions of people to Sirius, and he has an extremely dedicated fan base. They get rid of him, they will lose the millions who followed him.

maybe its time to renegotiate the contracts of Oprah and the others who offer nothing as far as entertainment value goes

'Cause he's too expensive. And frankly, he doesn't deliver entertainment that's worth all that. XM Sirius existed before he joined and I'm sure it will survive w/o him. Times have changed and that kind of extravagance is over the top. Maybe it's time to renegotiate that contract, after all, everyone else that wants to stay on the air is renegotiating.

nightflier
02-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Duds, I take it you don't like Oprah? I'm not really a fan either, but the fact is, she costs a whole lot less than Stern. Also remember that Stern does tend to tick off 51% of the population (i.e. women) and so Oprah, Martha, and Emeril are targeting that demographic. Not that this is how it should be, but that's the way it seems to be. And I wouldn't be surprised if they are also renegotiating those contracts. It's all economics.

I'm sure you like Stern, but I doubt he's worth that much, at least now. Will those millions who came over, leave if Stern leaves? Some maybe, but not all. The real question is whether the bean counters will see any value in keeping Stern. My guess is that they won't, but it's just a guess. Maybe someone else has some hard numbers showing what Stern brought to Sirius and if that will actually balance out the deficit they are facing.

Another point is that very few XM listeners switched to Sirius when Stern signed on. My guess is that many of those subscribers actually listen for the music instead of the talk shows. As such, I doubt they'll leave is Stern leaves. My interest in XM was always the music, and I've read both of Stern's books, but just didn't care much for the show. He's an American phenomenon, no doubt, but his stuff gets boring pretty quick and I've got better things to listen to.

pixelthis
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
First of all, you must compare apples to apples. Most compressed music is found using MPEG-1 Layer 3 (aka MP3) whereas XM uses the more advanced MPEG-2 AAC (aka MP4) format. Not the same animals.

Dont care how "advanced", you still need some information, and you are reaching the point of diminishing returns.
Besides, the market is speaking, this "advanced" format sounds like crap

The same way I knew I liked The Who using my battery powered Zenith AM radio back in 1969 - I listened to it. For what I liked, I bought the CD. As for sound quality, naturally it varies, but that is a different question.

I too listened to a cheap AM radio in 1969, and was amazed at how good even a mono FM sounded in comparison.
In 1969 you were a "different animal" so to speak, as was I.
And while sneaking the radio into bed after hours was fun for a 12 yr old,
the 52 yr old could hardly be impressed

As for me, I don't consider the quality of the medium to be the end game and never listen to it on either music system (its not even a choice). That misses the point. XM offers incredible choice for the cars. I can instantly choose any kind of music genre I want and drive 500 miles without that changing a bit. What are those mobile sources you speak of that are free and provide such variety? I'm all ears.
rw

ALL ears? You havent demonstrated that you have any ears.
I am currently between music players right now but have put more than enough
unheard music and podcasts and programs on one to last a lot more than 500 miles.
I hardly listen to music in the car anymore anyway, too much talk radio.
The point I am making is that a miserly 64k is rediculous, they could easily raise that.
AS someone who is constantly having to take a backseat to the crap that is flooding the world, I AM CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO PAY FOR THE PRIVILEIGE of being insulted.
Get plenty of that for free right here.
If you dont DEMAND quality you wont get it from corp America, thats basically IT.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2009, 06:00 AM
ALL ears? You havent demonstrated that you have any ears.
Another end-around by dumbass. Avoid the question. Hold your feet to the fire and the result is... insults.

So, we have dumbass telling us there are 1,000 FREE jazz stations; I ask him to prove it and I get "LAZY-BOY". E-stat asks for mobile sources that are free and provide such variety... he gets "You havent demonstrated that you have any ears."

:Yawn:

Duds
02-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Can't stand her to be honest, lol. So if Stern ticks off 51% of the population, why do they listen to him?

I just don't see how they wouldn't recognize the value of Stern.

And you state that very few XM listeners switched to Sirius when Stern signed on. If that's the case, why worry about those listeners? Worry about the millions of actual Stern fans who will jump ship if you give him the boot.

Duds, I take it you don't like Oprah? I'm not really a fan either, but the fact is, she costs a whole lot less than Stern. Also remember that Stern does tend to tick off 51% of the population (i.e. women) and so Oprah, Martha, and Emeril are targeting that demographic. Not that this is how it should be, but that's the way it seems to be. And I wouldn't be surprised if they are also renegotiating those contracts. It's all economics.

I'm sure you like Stern, but I doubt he's worth that much, at least now. Will those millions who came over, leave if Stern leaves? Some maybe, but not all. The real question is whether the bean counters will see any value in keeping Stern. My guess is that they won't, but it's just a guess. Maybe someone else has some hard numbers showing what Stern brought to Sirius and if that will actually balance out the deficit they are facing.

Another point is that very few XM listeners switched to Sirius when Stern signed on. My guess is that many of those subscribers actually listen for the music instead of the talk shows. As such, I doubt they'll leave is Stern leaves. My interest in XM was always the music, and I've read both of Stern's books, but just didn't care much for the show. He's an American phenomenon, no doubt, but his stuff gets boring pretty quick and I've got better things to listen to.

nightflier
02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Duds, what indication do you have that millions will jump ship is Stern is given the boot?

pixelthis
02-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Another end-around by dumbass. Avoid the question. Hold your feet to the fire and the result is... insults.

So, we have dumbass telling us there are 1,000 FREE jazz stations; I ask him to prove it and I get "LAZY-BOY". E-stat asks for mobile sources that are free and provide such variety... he gets "You havent demonstrated that you have any ears."

:Yawn:

You know good and well that there are thousands of jazz radio stations on the web, I
googled "jazz radio" and got 36 thousand hits, each with from several hundred to several thousand stations.
DO you actually think I care enough about your opinion to actually post a thousand links to a thousand
jazz radio stations, a total waste of time (much like yourself) when you just have to hit the search button to get thousands?
THE POINT, (other than the one on your head) is that there is a lot more content on the web than sirius, and its free.
AND I HAVE A LIFE.
So shut up about a thousand radio stations ...DUMBASS
As for estats request I replied to him.
I would much rather "roll my own" programming than listen to low res CRAP.
Understand? I know its hard for you.:1:

Duds
02-26-2009, 06:57 AM
his fans follow him wherever he goes. and if he sirius gives him the boot, his fans are going to say F YOU to Sirius and cancel their sub.

Duds, what indication do you have that millions will jump ship is Stern is given the boot?

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
DO you actually think I care enough about your opinion to actually post a thousand links to a thousand
jazz radio stations, a total waste of time (much like yourself) when you just have to hit the search button to get thousands?
No I don't, which is why I don't give your aruments here or in any other thread you participate in any credence whatsoever. There are sooo many people here who DO provide accurate and supported info...you ain't one of them.

BTW, how come you didn't crap in my thread about TI's pico projector, dumbass?

nightflier
02-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Duds, a lot of this will have to do with how he leaves. If he pulls one of those baseball-player-type the-contract-isn't-enough stunts, there will be a lot of people who won't follow him. Stern isn't exactly the kind of guy to shy away from pissing people off, especially the corporate types who run the stations he's been on. So a lot will depend on how it's played out.

Another issue is whether he'll find another home. It could very well be that no one will pay him that well. There's been quite a few other people before him who thought they could keep asking for such lofty contracts, but in the end, this is a different economy. Bill Maher (I know not the same audience, but still) also thought he was worth more, well now he knows better. Wouldn't it be a kick in Stern's "private parts" if he marketed himself out of his own job? I'm sure his lawyers and publicists will advise him properly, but you never know.

Finally, how much more does Stern have to offer? Is there anything from him that we haven't heard yet? Frankly it isn't that interesting anymore. Sex jokes, off-color commentary, and shock-jock tactics eventually just boil down to the same slap-stick humor and gets boring. It's just a sad fact of this type of industry. Seriously, what can Stern offer or promise to the next corporate executives and bean counters who would consider him? Stern has been to the edge of censorship and there's not much else he can pull that will be "new."

Granted, I have the same opinion about cooking shows, but that's another topic altogether.

Duds
02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I know where you're coming from, I guess we can agree to disagree :)

And although you may be burnt out with his content, doesnt necessarily mean his fans are. I've been a fan for a LONG time now, and i am not bored with the show at all. To me Artie brings a lot to the table, and Sal and Richard as well.

Duds, a lot of this will have to do with how he leaves. If he pulls one of those baseball-player-type the-contract-isn't-enough stunts, there will be a lot of people who won't follow him. Stern isn't exactly the kind of guy to shy away from pissing people off, especially the corporate types who run the stations he's been on. So a lot will depend on how it's played out.

Another issue is whether he'll find another home. It could very well be that no one will pay him that well. There's been quite a few other people before him who thought they could keep asking for such lofty contracts, but in the end, this is a different economy. Bill Maher (I know not the same audience, but still) also thought he was worth more, well now he knows better. Wouldn't it be a kick in Stern's "private parts" if he marketed himself out of his own job? I'm sure his lawyers and publicists will advise him properly, but you never know.

Finally, how much more does Stern have to offer? Is there anything from him that we haven't heard yet? Frankly it isn't that interesting anymore. Sex jokes, off-color commentary, and shock-jock tactics eventually just boil down to the same slap-stick humor and gets boring. It's just a sad fact of this type of industry. Seriously, what can Stern offer or promise to the next corporate executives and bean counters who would consider him? Stern has been to the edge of censorship and there's not much else he can pull that will be "new."

Granted, I have the same opinion about cooking shows, but that's another topic altogether.

nightflier
02-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Fair enough.

pixelthis
02-27-2009, 01:49 AM
No I don't, which is why I don't give your aruments here or in any other thread you participate in any credence whatsoever. There are sooo many people here who DO provide accurate and supported info...you ain't one of them.

BTW, how come you didn't crap in my thread about TI's pico projector, dumbass?

ONLY so much crap to go around.
Actually the pico projector is the wave of the future, TI finally got something right.
Too bad they did it right at the start of the greater depression.
Dont tell me its greyscale also.
AND you wouldnt know "accurate and supported" info if it hit you in the face,
you are too busy acting like a spoiled child to actually learn anything.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2009, 05:44 AM
You're acting like an ex-cop with anger/emotional/psychological issues.

TI's been getting it right longer than you've been alive old man.:dita:

pixelthis
02-27-2009, 01:14 PM
You're acting like an ex-cop with anger/emotional/psychological issues.

TI's been getting it right longer than you've been alive old man.:dita:

DO you know anything about anything?
TI has been around since the sixties, me, the fifties.
Third year of electronics class people were always bringing TI calculators
by to be "repaired".
We told em to just throw em in the box in the corner labeled TI JUNK.
We emptied it in the dumpster once a week, as they werent worth fixing.
USED to be I wouldnt buy a TI product on a bet, knowing you work there now
I damn sure wouldnt.
The pico projector is nice but TI will find a way to get a wrench into the works...
SOMEHOW.:1:

pixelthis
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
as FOR SIRRIUS , did I hear someone singing?
oh. yeah.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
No dumbass, TI has been around for 75 years. No, make that 77 years. I got my 75th anniversary shirt two years ago.

Third year of electronics you knew less than you do now. 0 x 1 = 0 The back-woods shack you went to school at probably used an abacus to teach math on.

Woochifer
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM

Read my post. Liberty Media (parent company of Directv) bought a 40% stake in Sirius XM last week. Unfortunately, it looks like Mel Karmazin will continue to run the show. So, Sirius XM's blanding down of the music lineup and reliance on celebrity DJs/vanity channels will probably continue.

Directv and John Malone's team won't take over Sirius XM's operations, but it looks like they will do a lot of promotion and cobranding (since Liberty Media also dominates the market for satellite broadband). Not altogether sure what Liberty Media has in store for Sirius XM, other than a desire to keep Sirius XM out of Echostar's hands.

Rumor is that Howard Stern wants to return to terrestrial radio. He's getting very well compensated. But, even with the large numbers of listeners he brought over to Sirius, his audience right now is less than 1/5 of what it was when he was on terrestrial radio. He might enjoy the creative freedom of satellite radio, but he no longer commands the high profile that he did before. It's a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. And I doubt that a serial self-promoter like Stern will want to be remain relegated to the sidelines.

nightflier
02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
So it sounds like the programming is converging to a more mainstream middle ground? Isn't that what satellite radio was trying not to be?

Rich-n-Texas
02-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Ya know I do have to say that now that I've been sub'ed to XM, I am a bit dissappointed with the programming that has been incorporated on Deep Tracks. It was a LOT different a couple of years ago when I had DirecTV. Nevertheless, I can still flip to another station and hear what I like.

Woochifer
02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
So it sounds like the programming is converging to a more mainstream middle ground? Isn't that what satellite radio was trying not to be?

Yep, XM had the more adventurous music programming and when the programming grids for XM and Sirius got merged, more of the XM channels got purged.

No more electric jazz, no more Latin jazz and salsa, fewer eclectic channels, three classical channels got merged into one, two dance channels got eliminated, etc. It's still a step up from FM radio, but the range of music got pared back considerably. Sirius' CEO was obsessed with celebrity vanity channels, and that's what got kept.

nightflier
02-28-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, another reason not to sign on. What's next, commercials between music sets?

pixelthis
02-28-2009, 09:18 PM
No dumbass, TI has been around for 75 years. No, make that 77 years. I got my 75th anniversary shirt two years ago.

Third year of electronics you knew less than you do now. 0 x 1 = 0 The back-woods shack you went to school at probably used an abacus to teach math on.

I am not talking about the mechcanical calculators they used to make, I AM TALKING ABOUT their foray into semiconductors, when they became a REAL company.
NOTHING they did even came close to the microchip.
Funny thing about when I WENT TO SCHOOL, the first two years I used a sliderule,
something you could never figure out.
Wasnt until the third year that calculators were cheap enough for peon students to buy.
AND they still use the abacus in China and other parts of the far east.
Accurate, portable, and you dont have to plug it in.
If we had used a abacus it would have probably been a LOT more advanced than the picture books used in your "school".:1:

Duds
03-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Why in the hell would Stern want to return to terrestial radio?

Read my post. Liberty Media (parent company of Directv) bought a 40% stake in Sirius XM last week. Unfortunately, it looks like Mel Karmazin will continue to run the show. So, Sirius XM's blanding down of the music lineup and reliance on celebrity DJs/vanity channels will probably continue.

Directv and John Malone's team won't take over Sirius XM's operations, but it looks like they will do a lot of promotion and cobranding (since Liberty Media also dominates the market for satellite broadband). Not altogether sure what Liberty Media has in store for Sirius XM, other than a desire to keep Sirius XM out of Echostar's hands.

Rumor is that Howard Stern wants to return to terrestrial radio. He's getting very well compensated. But, even with the large numbers of listeners he brought over to Sirius, his audience right now is less than 1/5 of what it was when he was on terrestrial radio. He might enjoy the creative freedom of satellite radio, but he no longer commands the high profile that he did before. It's a case of out-of-sight, out-of-mind. And I doubt that a serial self-promoter like Stern will want to be remain relegated to the sidelines.

Rich-n-Texas
03-02-2009, 06:01 AM
I am not talking about the mechcanical calculators they used to make, I AM TALKING ABOUT their foray into semiconductors, when they became a REAL company.
You're such a dumbass. Who invented the integrated circuit? TI's microcontrollers and DSP's are probably in YOUR audio equipment, dumbass. Do you own a cell phone? Guess what? :rolleyes:

NOTHING they did even came close to the microchip.
See above.

Funny thing about when I WENT TO SCHOOL, the first two years I used a sliderule,
something you could never figure out.
Really? They gave out sliderules to 1st & 2nd graders? I guess you were about 20 when you got your first sliderule right?

Wasnt until the third year that calculators were cheap enough for peon students to buy.
Not surprisingly, you're confusing calculators with adding machines. Not likely your hillbilly shack could afford anything that had to be plugged into a wall outlet. I'm betting there wasn't even any available electricity down by the river.

AND they still use the abacus in China and other parts of the far east.
Accurate, portable, and you dont have to plug it in.
And you're the one who complains about goods made in China. :lol:

If we had used a abacus it would have probably been a LOT more advanced than the picture books used in your "school".:1:
I guess then that you had to use your fingers to count, right?

Woochifer
03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Why in the hell would Stern want to return to terrestial radio?

As I mentioned in my post, his audience right now is tiny compared to his radio heyday, and you don't hear much about him anymore because of that. Stern's paycheck is bigger than ever, and he no longer has to worry about the FCC clamping down on his affiliates. But, Stern has always been about self-promotion, and getting attention through controversy. And it's hard to get attention since the change over to satellite radio eliminates any controversy over his material.

The uncensored platform he craved when the FCC was fining his affiliates is one of those unintended consequences. He was controversial when saying stuff that wasn't allowed over the airwaves, but now that he's allowed to say whatever he wants, it's no longer controversial. Lack of controversy means that no one other than his subscriber audience is paying attention.

Rich-n-Texas
03-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree whole-heartedly Wooch. From what I remember of his days on commercial FM, he'd spend a lot of the show griping about the FCC, which in turn generated all the phone calls from the audience singing his praises, which fed his big ego. I only liked his short-lived TV show where I could actually see the hot women he'd talk about (when not complaining, that is).

Duds
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
How can they pay attention when they aren't a subscriber?

I'm not buying it. He was going nuts during his last years on terrestial radio. I just do not see it happening.

If he does indeed go back, i'll label him a sell out.

As I mentioned in my post, his audience right now is tiny compared to his radio heyday, and you don't hear much about him anymore because of that. Stern's paycheck is bigger than ever, and he no longer has to worry about the FCC clamping down on his affiliates. But, Stern has always been about self-promotion, and getting attention through controversy. And it's hard to get attention since the change over to satellite radio eliminates any controversy over his material.

The uncensored platform he craved when the FCC was fining his affiliates is one of those unintended consequences. He was controversial when saying stuff that wasn't allowed over the airwaves, but now that he's allowed to say whatever he wants, it's no longer controversial. Lack of controversy means that no one other than his subscriber audience is paying attention.

nightflier
03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Ironic, since he won't be getting that big fat paycheck, then....

Stern did complain a lot, and now not so much. Maybe we have a fetish about hearing people complain about things?

pixelthis
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
You're such a dumbass. Who invented the integrated circuit? TI's microcontrollers and DSP's are probably in YOUR audio equipment, dumbass. Do you own a cell phone? Guess what? :rolleyes:

See above.

Really? They gave out sliderules to 1st & 2nd graders? I guess you were about 20 when you got your first sliderule right?

Not surprisingly, you're confusing calculators with adding machines. Not likely your hillbilly shack could afford anything that had to be plugged into a wall outlet. I'm betting there wasn't even any available electricity down by the river.

And you're the one who complains about goods made in China. :lol:

I guess then that you had to use your fingers to count, right?

I GUESS the old saying is true, the more of an idiot you are the more self rightous
you can get.
AND all of this coming from a moron who hooked a pair of B&W speakers to a
HOME THEATER IN A BOX.
My first sliderule was when I was 14. At 14 you were probably running numbers or something in Jersey because you were too much of a retard to get into high school.
GEE, you are SO proud to work at TI, heres a clue, its no big thang to scrub floors,
no matter where you scrub them.
POST all of the hate filled vitriolic crap you want , I AM TIRED OF RESPONDING
TO SUCH AN addled brained loser, I do have a life, unlike yourself.
AND back on topic , what are you gonna do with all of that SAT RADIO CRAP
your dumbass was conned into buying(not hard to con an idiot like you into anything
I guess). I guess you can make a necklace of something .
BECAUSE SAT RADIO IS DEAD
moron.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Gee. Dumbass. Do I annoy you?

nightflier
03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Pix, is there something wrong with being gay, or "f***ing gay, as you put it?

Florian
03-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Haha----- holy crap this is more intense then me and RGA. But RGA at least knew how to responde with the "thread of death"........ it was a so long ever lasting text of something. They where so long that i couldnt even read them, so i never replied.

Duds
03-03-2009, 05:08 AM
No, i'd probably still listen, but his shows on terrestial radio weren't nearly as good as what they are on satellite radio.

Doesnt mean I cant call him a sell out though :)

Ironic, since he won't be getting that big fat paycheck, then....

Stern did complain a lot, and now not so much. Maybe we have a fetish about hearing people complain about things?

nightflier
03-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Duds, here's a thought: what if Stern returned to regualr radio part-time (so he'd have something to complain about) and stayed with SiriusXM part time as well (to say the seven words without getting shafted)? This way he would cost the SiriusXM execs less, he would once again be able to grow his audience, and he could plug both sides during his show. That sounds like a win-win to me.

On another note (a disturbing one), I just read that the second most popular talk-show host is Limbaugh. Considering his history of racist comments, drugs, and woman-bashing, that's a lot more disturbing that the ongoing drivel about Stern's private parts. Could he surpass Stern?

pixelthis
03-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Pix, is there something wrong with being gay, or "f***ing gay, as you put it?

SORRY...I meant to post the JPG stating he was a moron.
MY BAD.:1:

nightflier
03-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Gotta watch what you post, especially when we're dealing with personalized pix, Pix.

Woochifer
03-04-2009, 11:12 AM
How can they pay attention when they aren't a subscriber?

That's exactly the point. Stern's a media whore, and if he's not pissing off the FCC or easily offended listeners, the rest of the media isn't showering attention to the self-proclaimed king of all media. Subscribers are not going to be offended by Stern, because they are paying to listen to his program. Therefore, subscribers are not going to raise a media outcry over something controversial.

I'm not buying it. He was going nuts during his last years on terrestial radio. I just do not see it happening.

He was going nuts, and he was getting written up all over the media. Controversy sells newspapers, and gets ratings for tabloid/entertainment programs. When Stern was battling the FCC and his affiliates, he created a cottage industry around the controversy that he created. People get offended when Stern's rantings go over the public airwaves. It got him attention, and that's exactly what he wanted.

With satellite radio, his audience is self-selected and they won't get offended because it's a subscriber service. He can be even more outrageous, and it won't get him much notice at all because of that.

It's all contingent on if he cares more about the publicity or the money. His jump to Sirius was a money grab. If he wants publicity, terrestrial radio gives him the biggest exposure.

Rich-n-Texas
03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
SORRY...I meant to post the JPG stating he was a moron.
MY BAD.:1:
Really dumbass? It's not the first time you've posted that picture.

Rich-n-Texas
03-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I GUESS the old saying is true, the more of an idiot you are the more self rightous
you can get.
AND all of this coming from a moron who hooked a pair of B&W speakers to a
HOME THEATER IN A BOX.
My first sliderule was when I was 14. At 14 you were probably running numbers or something in Jersey because you were too much of a retard to get into high school.
GEE, you are SO proud to work at TI, heres a clue, its no big thang to scrub floors,
no matter where you scrub them.
POST all of the hate filled vitriolic crap you want , I AM TIRED OF RESPONDING
TO SUCH AN addled brained loser, I do have a life, unlike yourself.
AND back on topic , what are you gonna do with all of that SAT RADIO CRAP
your dumbass was conned into buying(not hard to con an idiot like you into anything
I guess). I guess you can make a necklace of something .
moron.:1:
First of all, Sirius got a $530 million cash infusion from Liberty Media, which saved Sirius from bankruptcy. Now they've announced an app that'll work with the IPhone.

Minus 2 dumbass.

pixelthis
03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
First of all, Sirius got a $530 million cash infusion from Liberty Media, which saved Sirius from bankruptcy. Now they've announced an app that'll work with the IPhone.

Minus 2 dumbass.

YEAH, keep doing those chest compressions on the corpse, DUMBASS2

Sat radio is kaput, wireless broadband and internet beats it in choice, quality, and price.
There are a lot of neat things you can do with technology.
Doesnt mean you should do them:1:

Kevio
03-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Wireless broadband loses to satellite in terms availability (only available where there's cellphone service) and bandwidth (does not scale well with large numbers of simultaneous listeners).

At the moment, they both sound like poop. Satellite can fix that instantly by reallocating bandwidth to fewer better-sounding channels. Wireless broadband needs to wait for new spectrum to be freed up (e.g. once we're done with analog TV) and for new data communications standards (e.g. WiMax) to be widely adopted.

I'd say a window of opportunity is still open for satellite radio.

pixelthis
03-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Wireless broadband loses to satellite in terms availability (only available where there's cellphone service) and bandwidth (does not scale well with large numbers of simultaneous listeners).

At the moment, they both sound like poop. Satellite can fix that instantly by reallocating bandwidth to fewer better-sounding channels. Wireless broadband needs to wait for new spectrum to be freed up (e.g. once we're done with analog TV) and for new data communications standards (e.g. WiMax) to be widely adopted.

I'd say a window of opportunity is still open for satellite radio.

a WINDOW that is being slammed shut.
I have been fighting mediocre music sources like forever.
The marketers of sat radio were pretty stupid, they went up against other sources
on their playing ground, mainly cheap MP3 crap.
Fewer channels of higher quality would have been different.
Right now I AM listening to "radio", mainly streaming audio, it sounds great,
and its FREE. It certainly sounds better than the pap off of SAT.
And dont mention mobile , who cares?
A good media player is all thats required for that.
Analog TV (vhf) isnt suitable for sat, BTW.:1:

Kevio
03-19-2009, 06:45 AM
And dont mention mobile , who cares?I don't think you even think about this stuff before you post.

For most people their cars are the place where they do the majority of their listening. Second would probably be on their iPods while they're working out. When people do sit still at home, it is to watch a movie.

pixelthis
03-19-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think you even think about this stuff before you post.

For most people their cars are the place where they do the majority of their listening. Second would probably be on their iPods while they're working out. When people do sit still at home, it is to watch a movie.

and I DONT THINK ABOUT WHAT I AM POSTING!!!
JEEEZ
DO you realize where you are AT?
a MAJORITY of the peeps on this site are not only HT but AUDIO enthusiasists.
In other words they SIT in front of thousands of dollars worth of audio gear to
LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!
For hours sometimes.
Do you think I spent ten grand, and thousands more over the years, just so I could hear
the helicopters crash better on some mediocre movie?
I have been an audio freeak since the seventies, before they even had VCR'S.
I still have a turntable (look it up) and still spin records, what ones I have left, most of which are probably older than you
The HI-FI hobby started way before the video, but really started ramping up in the fifties.
I can tell the difference between 128 and 256 mp3, between records and CD, between
certain types of CD even. I can tell ya if a CD is one of the first by the compression on the disc.
The thing is, MY rig is modest because of economics, there are those on this site who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their gear.
A car can never be a proper enviroment for music listening, anything in a car is going to be a compromise, so I dont waste much time on car audio.
Besides, I only live three miles from work.
GET a FRIGGIN clue, okay?
Dont go to a motorcycle club and say they dont exist.:1:

Feanor
03-20-2009, 02:39 AM
I don't think you even think about this stuff before you post.

Speak for yourself, Kevio.

Gotta agree with the Pix on this one. I don't listen all in the car; my iPod is for science podcasts.

E-Stat
03-20-2009, 05:50 AM
Dont go to a motorcycle club and say they dont exist.
I'm thinking he was not limiting the term "most people" to enthusiasts here. Using your metaphor, what he said was most people aren't riders. I find that he's right on both counts. As a rider myself, I would say most "cagers" don't get the thrill of riding. Just like they don't get the thrill of focused listening.

rw

ps: I plan to take the ST out for a long ride tomorrow!

Luvin Da Blues
03-20-2009, 06:03 AM

Gotta agree with the Pix on this one. I don't listen all in the car; my iPod is for science podcasts.

I've gotta agree with Pix on this one also.

Kevio
03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
The context here is that Pix asserts (in #88) that terrestrial streaming services render satellite delivery superfluous and satellite will fail.

My point is that these ventures don't live or die by the needs and preferences audio enthusiasts. Their success or failure depends on the larger market. The larger market mostly listens to music on the go and so mobile capability is crucial.

Wireless broadband has a gap to close in terms of coverage and scalability before it can compete with satellite for mobile applications.

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't agree with dumbass at all. The key benefit of sat radio is it's MOBILITY features. Anything after that is just icing on the cake.

Secondly. his useless tirade against another member here does nothing more than reinforce the fact that he's a social misfit who sits in his house *****ing and complaining day in and day out about how bad the world treats him. Then he goes to work at night, sits there watching old ladies in their hospital gowns on his sh!tty LCD computer monitor and thinks up ways to incite people here on the forums.

BY THE WAY dumbass, right now I'm home listening to XM 46 :"Classic Vinyl". And I'll probably be listening to it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and so on and so on and so on...

Remember audience, dumbass said...

It don't sound all that DEAD to me. :1:

Rich-n-Texas
03-20-2009, 07:54 AM

So what? Doesn't make you the majority Bill.

pixelthis
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I don't agree with dumbass at all. The key benefit of sat radio is it's MOBILITY features. Anything after that is just icing on the cake.

THERE is NO benefit to sat radio, it is completely extraneous and depends on idiots like
dumbass2 for sales.
Not profits but sales , since there are NO profits, and never will be

Secondly. his useless tirade against another member here does nothing more than reinforce the fact that he's a social misfit who sits in his house *****ing and complaining day in and day out about how bad the world treats him. Then he goes to work at night, sits there watching old ladies in their hospital gowns on his sh!tty LCD computer monitor and thinks up ways to incite people here on the forums.

ITS NOT A "TRIADE" against another member, its slapping the face of an idiot who comes on a site full of audio enthusiasists , most of who spend hours listening to music ,
and then says thats not what people do.
Even dumbass2 isnt that stupid (are you?)

BY THE WAY dumbass, right now I'm home listening to XM 46 :"Classic Vinyl". And I'll probably be listening to it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day, and so on and so on and so on...

Which is more of a testament to your low standards than anything else, except maybe that you drive a firebird
You are right about one thing, you're listening pleasure (if it can be called that) will be measured in days, certainly not months, not enough willing to pay for free stuff

Remember audience, dumbass said...

It don't sound all that DEAD to me. :1:

Of course it doesnt, you tin eared SOB.
Of course with the swill you probably listen to you could use two tin cans with a string
and not be bothered.
But it is dead, and soon you will be able to put all of the sat crap next to the eight track tape player you couldnt find tapes for anymore, DUMBASS2:1:

E-Stat
03-20-2009, 03:37 PM
THERE is NO benefit to sat radio, it is completely extraneous and depends on idiots...
And those who seek more variety in their car than broadcast radio.

ITS NOT A "TRIADE" against another member, its slapping the face of an idiot who comes on a site full of audio enthusiasists...and then says thats not what people do.
You really need to work on your spelling ability since the original post was correct. As for "the idiot", he used the term "most people". Most people don't post here. In fact, there are precious few of the 300 million in the US who do. Do you disagree with that? As for audio enthusiasts, you'll be hard pressed to find many audiophiles more rabid than I. Not everyone has multiple kilobuck systems, one of which runs $50k. On the other hand, I have full awareness of what the general public believes.

Those of us with a true passion for music will find many avenues to satisfy that craving. You'll find me listening to uncompressed content on my iPhone whether on the lawn tractor or when traveling by air which I do frequently on my job.

rw

pixelthis
03-21-2009, 06:21 PM
And those who seek more variety in their car than broadcast radio.

You really need to work on your spelling ability since the original post was correct. As for "the idiot", he used the term "most people". Most people don't post here. In fact, there are precious few of the 300 million in the US who do. Do you disagree with that? As for audio enthusiasts, you'll be hard pressed to find many audiophiles more rabid than I. Not everyone has multiple kilobuck systems, one of which runs $50k. On the other hand, I have full awareness of what the general public believes.

Those of us with a true passion for music will find many avenues to satisfy that craving. You'll find me listening to uncompressed content on my iPhone whether on the lawn tractor or when traveling by air which I do frequently on my job.

rw

Give me a break.
Are you going on a site with a special interest and claim that its interest doesnt exist?
I also have a "general" interest of what the "public" beleives and that has nothing to do with it.
A LOT OF PEOPLE sit and just listen to music, just listen instead of using it for background.
If the original posters intent is to talk about car audio I am sure there are avenues for that.
A lot of discussion about classical music, I wouldnt know since its a minor interest
to me, but I wont go on a classical website and claim it doesnt exist.:1:

E-Stat
03-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Are you going on a site with a special interest and claim that its interest doesnt exist?
Relax. That's not at all what he said. What he said was most people don't care about high quality audio. Most people are quite happy with 128k MP3 downloads. Which they listen to on crappy earbuds while they're doing something else. Like it or not, that's the picture.

And I'm one of those "idiots" who seeks alternative sources for new music, even if its fidelity sux. I have discovered artists new to me - then purchased quite a few CDs as a result of friends sending me an MP3 or listening to XM. Works for me.

Get back to enjoying the music, K?

rw

BTW, today I got the wife a copy of Twilight. Sounds pretty good on the HT. Try expanding your horizons a bit. :)

Kevio
03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
How do I make the bloody typing man stop? That's disturbing.

I apologize for overstating the case for mobile audio. Yes, clearly there are people who listen attentively to music and some of them probably even get counted as a significant part of bazillion-dollar business plans putting radio stations in space.

I really don't know what's going to happen with satellite radio. Satellite TV seems to be doing fine. Other space-based services (Iridium phones, trans-continental telephone service), over the years have been beaten out by their terrestrial counterparts.

However it goes down, I do stand by my earlier statement that audio enthusiasts will have limited bearing on it. It is adoption by mobile listeners that is most crucial.

pixelthis
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Relax. That's not at all what he said. What he said was most people don't care about high quality audio. Most people are quite happy with 128k MP3 downloads. Which they listen to on crappy earbuds while they're doing something else. Like it or not, that's the picture.

And I'm one of those "idiots" who seeks alternative sources for new music, even if its fidelity sux. I have discovered artists new to me - then purchased quite a few CDs as a result of friends sending me an MP3 or listening to XM. Works for me.

Get back to enjoying the music, K?

rw

BTW, today I got the wife a copy of Twilight. Sounds pretty good on the HT. Try expanding your horizons a bit. :)

EXpand my day to a good 28 hrs.
Between BLU, great TV like conner cronicles, music, internet, working, there arent enough hours in the day.
Twilight, a teen vampire chic flick. IF you say so.
BTW is our "hobby" ever going to promote itself?
An entire generation is missing out on dedicated music listening.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
03-23-2009, 06:02 AM
EXpand my day to a good 28 hrs.
Between BLU, great TV like conner cronicles, music, internet, working, there arent enough hours in the day.
Twilight, a teen vampire chic flick. IF you say so.
BTW is our "hobby" ever going to promote itself?
An entire generation is missing out on dedicated music listening.:1:
And you call the music I listen to swill? :lol: Over the weekend on XM "Classic Vinyl", their programming was all about the top 33 most influencial Rock albums as voted by their audience. They played two or three tracks from each album which included bands like The Beatles, Stones, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, solo Eric Clapton, the mighty Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Moody Blues, Van Morrison, Yes, Janis Jopplin... too many more to list. I listened to that station for more than TWELVE hours while I was... doing some projects around the house and with all six speakers cranking +80dB into my living room.

Yeah, so I guess if it ain't Square Dance music or Polka playing down at the community center (near the river) at your trailer park it must be swill, huh dumbass?

And if you're so busy, why are you even arguing about satellite radio in the first place dumbass? Like I said... only here to incite.

pixelthis
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Rich-n-Texas]And you call the music I listen to swill? :lol: Over the weekend on XM "Classic Vinyl", their programming was all about the top 33 most influencial Rock albums as voted by their audience. They played two or three tracks from each album which included bands like The Beatles, Stones, Cream, Derek and the Dominos, solo Eric Clapton, the mighty Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who, Moody Blues, Van Morrison, Yes, Janis Jopplin... too many more to list. I listened to that station for more than TWELVE hours while I was... doing some projects around the house and with all six speakers cranking +80dB into my living room.

I had a lot of those when they first came out...ON REAL VINYL.
Sad thing is you dont have a clue to their true greatness, with your pukey 56k MP3.
Diamond dogs, ALL of the Zeppelin albums, L.A woman, you name it, I had all
of it, before you were a mistake your mom regretted.
Background music for your lesser generation...MY LIFE

Yeah, so I guess if it ain't Square Dance music or Polka playing down at the community center (near the river) at your trailer park it must be swill, huh dumbass?

THIS FROM DUMBASS2 who drives a friggin firebird, the epitome
of white trash ... which you probably aspire to, would be a step up from carpetbagger

And if you're so busy, why are you even arguing about satellite radio in the first place dumbass? Like I said... only here to incite.

Just trying to teach DUMBASS2 A LESSON, WHICH IS LIKE TRYING TO TEACH A CHIMP ALGERBRA:1:

Rich-n-Texas
03-25-2009, 04:28 AM
I had a lot of those when they first came out...ON REAL VINYL.
Sad thing is you dont have a clue to their true greatness, with your pukey 56k MP3.
Diamond dogs, ALL of the Zeppelin albums, L.A woman, you name it...
So what's the point of all this? More self-promotion? More insecurity issues? Your reputation here was cemented within your first ten posts dumbass. And guess what else dumbass, I've got every Led Zeppelin album on vinyl too. And many on CD now as well, which is what I listen to these days, while you still use your technics record player, right?

I had all of it, before you were a mistake your mom regretted.
Background music for your lesser generation...MY LIFE
Well I'm in my 50's now which means you're in your late 60's right? Sucks being as old as you and more reason to understand why you're such a miserable old pr!ck.

No dumbass, I grew up in the 60's and 70's listening to the artists I mentioned, and when I get the opportunity to replay those years on a system 10 times better than what I had back then, I take it. Let me repeat for you dumbass... doing some projects around the house means I wasn't sitting on the couch so SQ didn't matter.

THIS FROM DUMBASS2 who drives a friggin firebird, the epitome
of white trash ... which you probably aspire to, would be a step up from carpetbagger
This from an inbreed who drives a 68 pickup truck with a gun rack in the back window. Needed for when he's hunting opposum's for dinner, down by the river.

Just trying to teach DUMBASS2 A LESSON, WHICH IS LIKE TRYING TO TEACH A CHIMP ALGERBRA:1:
:lol: You're big on thinking you're teaching people lessons. Too bad your old out-of-tune ears can't hear how many people here are laughing at you.

Luvin Da Blues
03-25-2009, 04:46 AM
Ding, Ding, Ding...

Gentlemen to your corners. LOL

pixelthis
03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Well I'm in my 50's now which means you're in your late 60's right? Sucks being as old as you and more reason to understand why you're such a miserable old pr!ck.

In your "fifties"?
Is that your I.Q?
At least you do have an excuse for being a "miserable old prick", being from jersey and all
'

No dumbass, I grew up in the 60's and 70's listening to the artists I mentioned, and when I get the opportunity to replay those years on a system 10 times better than what I had back then, I take it. Let me repeat for you dumbass... doing some projects around the house means I wasn't sitting on the couch so SQ didn't matter.

"DOING SOME "PROJECTS", fancy way of saying you were downloading porn

This from an inbreed who drives a 68 pickup truck with a gun rack in the back window. Needed for when he's hunting opposum's for dinner, down by the river.

As opposed to you, who lives in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER.

:lol: You're big on thinking you're teaching people lessons. Too bad your old out-of-tune ears can't hear how many people here are laughing at you.

As opposed to the rest of the world LAUGHING AT YOU.
Driving around in your firebird, comb-over flapping in the breeze:1:

Rich-n-Texas
03-26-2009, 04:34 AM
Meanwhile, Sirius XM is still alive and kicking, and as usual, dumbass prefers hurling insults instead of admitting he's wrong... again.

pixelthis
03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Meanwhile, Sirius XM is still alive and kicking, and as usual, dumbass prefers hurling insults instead of admitting he's wrong... again.

If they are still here in six months I will be happy to do so, hate to see a company go out of business.
YOU know good and well (or maybe you dont, not knowing much of anything) that if
SIRRIUS TANKS IT WONT BE OVERNIGHT.
But it will be soon.:1:

Smokey
03-26-2009, 10:43 PM
"DOING SOME "PROJECTS", fancy way of saying you were downloading porn

Rich, you must admit. This was funny http://i.slickdeals.net/images/smilies2/lol2.gif

pixelthis
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Rich, you must admit. This was funny http://i.slickdeals.net/images/smilies2/lol2.gif

Not to mention true.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
05-06-2009, 04:32 AM
If they are still here in six months I will be happy to do so, hate to see a company go out of business.
YOU know good and well (or maybe you dont, not knowing much of anything) that if
Less than five months to go pix.

I have XM in my new car and I'm just loving the fact that there's not one commercial, and they're playing the Rock music that had such a profound influence on me while I was growing up. I have presets set to deliver music from the 60's, 70's & early 80's.

markw
05-06-2009, 05:06 AM
We just got Free XM for three months in our new Hyundai and I gotta agree with Rich. It's addicting.

So addicting in fact that we're considering continuing the subscription when the feee expires and getting a hidden under-dash converter box for my after market radio so i can get it in mine as well.

Rich-n-Texas
05-06-2009, 05:39 AM
I try to stay up-to-date with the goings-on at Sirius/XM on the AVS forum. I don't think it's proper to link to competing message boards but there's an entire sub-forum there. Different people say different things about the future, but giving it negative press like pix does helps nothing. I'm subscribed to it at home, it's free in the car until the end of June so hopefully by then things will become more clear.

Ed_in_Tx
05-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Maybe they will hang in there. If you had bought SIRI stock 3 months ago on Feb 12 at less than 6 cents a share, you'd have a nice little gain today at 50 cents!

pixelthis
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe they will hang in there. If you had bought SIRI stock 3 months ago on Feb 12 at less than 6 cents a share, you'd have a nice little gain today at 50 cents!

MAYBE they will, I will certainly hope so for the sake of better choices for the consumer,
but I doubt it.
As for Richie and his acid flashback, I too listen to the classics in my car, new invention called an MP3 player, at 320 kbs Q is a lot better.
The only way to listen to Bowie, hendrix, BST, etc.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
05-07-2009, 04:47 AM
MAYBE they will, I will certainly hope so for the sake of better choices for the consumer,
but I doubt it.
As for Richie and his acid flashback, I too listen to the classics in my car, new invention called an MP3 player, at 320 kbs Q is a lot better.
The only way to listen to Bowie, hendrix, BST, etc.:1:
"New invention"? "MP3 player"? Reeeeeelly? :rolleyes: The only way to listen to Bowie is from an MP3 player? You should stick to managing your 20 zombies dumbass.

Get in the car, start the car, and classic rock starts playing. No setup time required.

You just don't know when to STFU do you dumbass?

pixelthis
05-07-2009, 08:54 PM
"New invention"? "MP3 player"? Reeeeeelly? :rolleyes: The only way to listen to Bowie is from an MP3 player? You should stick to managing your 20 zombies dumbass.

bEATS PAYING 12 bucks a month for radio

Get in the car, start the car, and classic rock starts playing. No setup time required.

SO simple I bet EVEN YOU can figure it out

You just don't know when to STFU do you dumbass?

Look at the pot calling the kettle black.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-02-2009, 06:20 AM
:biggrin5:

Speak up dumbass! I turned my receiver on yesterday, tuned to XM channel 40, and what do ya know? Music came out of my speakers. :yesnod:

So I guess you were wrong, huh Dumbass?

:rolleyes:

Feanor
09-02-2009, 06:38 AM
RnT, where ya been?

Haven't seen you around much. Have you been touring the town hall meetings fighting the menace of socialist health care? :biggrin5:

pixelthis
09-02-2009, 01:17 PM
RnT, where ya been?

Haven't seen you around much. Have you been touring the town hall meetings fighting the menace of socialist health care? :biggrin5:

Probably in a "resort" under medical obsevation(which obviously didnt help much)
Well, the two sat services merged(one died, the other got the organs and is on life support)
so I was right, at least close.
And you never hit the target at all, t least thats what your woman told me.:1:

E-Stat
09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
...so I was right
No, what you said was sat radio is dead (in a large font to somehow bring validity to the claim). As Mark Twain would say, "The reports of its death are greatly exaggerated".

rw

Rich-n-Texas
09-03-2009, 05:46 AM
Probably in a "resort" under medical obsevation(which obviously didnt help much)
Well, the two sat services merged(one died, the other got the organs and is on life support)
so I was right, at least close.
And you never hit the target at all, t least thats what your woman told me.:1:
Uhhh... no dumbass, neither one died. You weren't close, you were wrong. Admit you were wrong like you said you were going to do, instead of trying to deflect by saying things like this: "Probably in a "resort" under medical obsevation(which obviously didnt help much)", and "And you never hit the target at all, t least thats what your woman told me."

Do you not realize by now that people have you figured out? All I did was reinforce what's already known, loser. :ciappa:

Luvin Da Blues
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Uhhh... no dumbass, neither one died. You weren't close, you were wrong. Admit you were wrong like you said you were going to do, instead of trying to deflect by saying things like this: "Probably in a "resort" under medical obsevation(which obviously didnt help much)", and "And you never hit the target at all, t least thats what your woman told me."

Do you not realize by now that people have you figured out? All I did was reinforce what's already known, loser. :ciappa:

Good to see you back, Rich. :3: Gunna hang for a bit?

Rich-n-Texas
09-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey LDB. I was told things were "nice" around here ( :Yawn: ) before I checked back in, and that I might get banned so who knows. I was soooo looking forward to coming back to this thread to prove pixie wrong, again... mission accomplished.

BTW, for those who care, Sirius XM is offering $77/yr plans, and if you go to their website you can find out what's included. They recently raised the price of my "Mostly Music" package $2/mo, but I can live with it. Still better than listening to commercials.

E-Stat
09-03-2009, 07:32 AM
BTW, for those who care, Sirius XM is offering $77/yr plans, and if you go to their website you can find out what's included. They recently raised the price of my "Mostly Music" package $2/mo, but I can live with it. Still better than listening to commercials.
And they now have an iPhone app which works great on the road. Only 98,461 people have reviewed it so far. :)

rw

pixelthis
09-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey LDB. I was told things were "nice" around here ( :Yawn: ) before I checked back in, and that I might get banned so who knows. I was soooo looking forward to coming back to this thread to prove pixie wrong, again... mission accomplished.

hOPEFULLY you will get banned, if you start sneaking around on other members computers like you used to you would deserve to.
GOT some good trojans and other fun stuff waiting if you ever stick your nose into mine again.
And SAT RADIO IS DEAD, just like a dino taking a long time to figure that out,
be gone by the ehd of the year, along with a lot of other stuff, in a year at most.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Pushing it out another another few months huh? Everything dies eventually, but you just can't admit when you're wrong. You're a sad, overly egotistical old man.

atomicAdam
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey LDB. I was told things were "nice" around here ( :Yawn: ) before I checked back in, and that I might get banned so who knows.

Getting warmer......

Luvin Da Blues
09-03-2009, 04:15 PM

I, for one, hope to see more of your Richness around here. Take care buddy.

How's the G6 treat'n ya?

nightflier
09-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I've kind of lost sight of XM-Sirius, but I was on the verge of buying a receiver at the beginning of the summer. Just wondering:

- Can either XM or Sirius hardware now pick up the other's broadcasts, or does that require new gear?

- How is the combined company doing financially? They were sluggish in the Summer months, but seem to be picking up some steam this fall. Lotsa college kids signing on?

- What are some decent quality component-sized receivers compatible with both services?

- Any decent package deals? Is a lifetime plan still available?

- Have there been any improvements in sound quality?

pixelthis
09-04-2009, 01:37 PM
Pushing it out another another few months huh? Everything dies eventually, but you just can't admit when you're wrong. You're a sad, overly egotistical old man.

Younger than you probably.
At least I am not mental, made a few jokes and it pushed you right over the edge.
And sat radio is a stupid idea which might make it in good times if they find enough
dumb enough to pay for it, but with unemployment up to 9.7% I think its just a matter of time.:1:

pixelthis
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I've kind of lost sight of XM-Sirius, but I was on the verge of buying a receiver at the beginning of the summer. Just wondering:

- Can either XM or Sirius hardware now pick up the other's broadcasts, or does that require new gear?

- How is the combined company doing financially? They were sluggish in the Summer months, but seem to be picking up some steam this fall. Lotsa college kids signing on?

- What are some decent quality component-sized receivers compatible with both services?

- Any decent package deals? Is a lifetime plan still available?

- Have there been any improvements in sound quality?

Its this kind of confusion that isnt helping much.
Basically they are swapping deck chairs back and forth on the titanic,
and all but a few know this.:1:

nightflier
09-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Titanic? They're doing a lot better this quarter & better than expected by the analysts.

pixelthis
09-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Titanic? They're doing a lot better this quarter & better than expected by the analysts.

Like some cancer patients sometimes rally before a complete crash.
Sat radio is a frill, might seem nessesary to fans but its not, really.
The thing to look for in a toy like this , is "can people afford it"?
AND WITH UNEMPLOYMENT AT 9.7% (which means its actually higher) and with
the dirivatives bubble about to pop, and the current depression about to crank into high
gear, sat radio is just one of many frills that will go by the wayside.
Like food, clothing, shelter...etc.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-08-2009, 05:26 AM
hOPEFULLY you will get banned, if you start sneaking around on other members computers like you used to you would deserve to.
GOT some good trojans and other fun stuff waiting if you ever stick your nose into mine again.
What is this illusion you're trying to create? That I somehow hacked into your computer? :crazy:

(You might want to delete all that kiddie porn though. Atlanta authorities have been notified.)

pixelthis
09-09-2009, 01:12 AM
What is this illusion you're trying to create? That I somehow hacked into your computer? :crazy:

(You might want to delete all that kiddie porn though. Atlanta authorities have been notified.)

Well, how do you know that I have certain equipment on my machine?
And Texas authorities have been alerted about your mental state, I guess getting
canned was too much for that fragil ego of yours.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Well, how do you know that I have certain equipment on my machine?
What are you talking about dumbass? Did I say anything about "equipment"? I'm sure it does have voice recognition s/w on it though. :rolleyes:

And Texas authorities have been alerted about your mental state, I guess getting
canned was too much for that fragil ego of yours.:1:
:lol: Funny joke!

:out:

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2009, 05:03 AM
I, for one, hope to see more of your Richness around here. Take care buddy.

How's the G6 treat'n ya?
That's G8,with a V8. :hand: Treating me good LDB. Right now I'm getting about 19 mpg in a mix of highway & city driving; haven't taken any long trips yet but other owners are stating anywhere from 24 to 28 mpg on the highway.

Oh, I heard Sirius launched another satellite about two weeks ago and that signal quality should improve as a result. I'm trying to find verification of this, and when I do I'll be sure to clue dumbass in on it. :yesnod:

Luvin Da Blues
09-09-2009, 05:47 AM
That's G8,with a V8. :hand:

My bad.:1:

pixelthis
09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
That's G8,with a V8. :hand: Treating me good LDB. Right now I'm getting about 19 mpg in a mix of highway & city driving; haven't taken any long trips yet but other owners are stating anywhere from 24 to 28 mpg on the highway.

Oh, I heard Sirius launched another satellite about two weeks ago and that signal quality should improve as a result. I'm trying to find verification of this, and when I do I'll be sure to clue dumbass in on it. :yesnod:

THATS GREAT, one more asset to throw in the pot during the bankruptcy sale.
Funny, yoiu call me a "dumbass" and you drive a "govt motors " P.O.S:1:

pixelthis
09-16-2009, 08:37 PM

The problem with people like Stern is they have no talent, they can't do anything, but shock people, and people get jaded, so you need a bigger "shock".
PRETTY SOON you're sacrificing virgins to keep people interested.
So Stern has a lifespan, and sooner or later his braindead audience will get tired of lesbian jokes and move on to some other purile interest.:1:

nightflier
09-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Well Rush Limbaugh has been at it for some time, and people aren't tired of him yet.

pixelthis
09-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Well Rush Limbaugh has been at it for some time, and people aren't tired of him yet.

Not a big fan of Rush, but at least he has something to say, and his show deals with various issues, not just lesbian jokes.:1:

pixelthis
09-18-2009, 02:10 PM
AND IN CASE "RICH" is reading...
sat radio is.....

DEAD

Off the cliff, hasnt hit the bottom quite yet.:1:

nightflier
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Wonder if Rush enjoys his cigars as much as Clinton did...

pixelthis
09-20-2009, 01:17 AM
Wonder if Rush enjoys his cigars as much as Clinton did...

More.They are kind of a trademark.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
AND IN CASE "RICH" is reading...
sat radio is.....

DEAD

Off the cliff, hasnt hit the bottom quite yet.:1:
Just keep making yourself look stupid, dumbass. You're doing a great job.

Have you admitted you were wrong yet?

pixelthis
09-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Just keep making yourself look stupid, dumbass. You're doing a great job.

Have you admitted you were wrong yet?

Have you admitted your shoe size is larger than your I.Q?
I will admit to wrongness when it occurs, such as when I noticed your pathetic
existenze, and if these new 80" DLP sets catch on I just might be "wrong" about
RPTV DLP(but I doubt it)
Sat radio...NAH.
Maybe sometime in the future, after great depression part deux has run its course,
but in this current incarnation its too underfunded to ride out the storm of
500 trillion in derivatives, 130 trillion in national debt, etc.
Only the strongest will surrive, so be making out your will...KAY?
Just saying....:1:

nightflier
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't mean to vindicate Pixel, but Sirius does seem to be hitting some trouble financially and the stock price has not followed the rest of the market in the last couple of weeks.

Rich-n-Texas
09-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't mean to vindicate Pixel...
You say that a lot, but that's okay. :ciappa:

pixelthis
09-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't mean to vindicate Pixel, but Sirius does seem to be hitting some trouble financially and the stock price has not followed the rest of the market in the last couple of weeks.

Yeah, wouldnt want to vindicate me now would we?
Sat radio is a frill, maybe not to its devotees, but a thrill neverthless.
And in hard times "frills" are the first to go.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
09-22-2009, 03:48 AM
STFU dumbass.

nightflier
09-22-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah, wouldnt want to vindicate me now would we?
Sat radio is a frill, maybe not to its devotees, but a thrill neverthless.
And in hard times "frills" are the first to go.:1:

...you respond like that. Your perspective is rather absolute, to the point of being enervating and crass.

I just don't agree with your point of view about Sirius-XM. The stock price is one thing, but the company has so many subscribers that they have a steady income stream. They also have a fairly consistent list of associated hardware manufacturers that make the gear, so they certainly have a foothold in the music industry. I also don't think the personalities like Stern will make or break the medium - the package as a whole is what matters and that's also what the subscribers are saying. If they can just control costs, they should be able to survive the current down economy.

I for one, would like there to be sat radio, even if I end up not becoming a subscriber. In the end, sat radio offers more alternatives for entertainment - the more sources there are for people to hear new music, the better it is for this industry as a whole. And not to bang the political drum in this thread, but isn't competition a Republican wet dream? Or was that only in the pre-Bush years? I forget sometimes what is and isn't Republican anymore...

If I remember right, you also said at one point or another that Plasma, SACD, and LPs were dead. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but they aren't. If anything, your moribund persistent death-wishing is giving these formats more reason to survive, at least here on AR. Funny thing is, all these technologies you claim to be dead, are also considered the better sounding or viewable ones by more people than not. It's almost as if you're hellbent on killing them just for the sake of being right. Perhaps some of the readers are thinking: well if Pixel wants it to die, maybe it does actually sound or look better. Wouldn't that be a kick in the privates?

pixelthis
09-22-2009, 01:49 PM
...you respond like that. Your perspective is rather absolute, to the point of being enervating and crass.

I just don't agree with your point of view about Sirius-XM. The stock price is one thing, but the company has so many subscribers that they have a steady income stream. They also have a fairly consistent list of associated hardware manufacturers that make the gear, so they certainly have a foothold in the music industry. I also don't think the personalities like Stern will make or break the medium - the package as a whole is what matters and that's also what the subscribers are saying. If they can just control costs, they should be able to survive the current down economy.

I for one, would like there to be sat radio, even if I end up not becoming a subscriber. In the end, sat radio offers more alternatives for entertainment - the more sources there are for people to hear new music, the better it is for this industry as a whole. And not to bang the political drum in this thread, but isn't competition a Republican wet dream? Or was that only in the pre-Bush years? I forget sometimes what is and isn't Republican anymore...

If I remember right, you also said at one point or another that Plasma, SACD, and LPs were dead. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but they aren't. If anything, your moribund persistent death-wishing is giving these formats more reason to survive, at least here on AR. Funny thing is, all these technologies you claim to be dead, are also considered the better sounding or viewable ones by more people than not. It's almost as if you're hellbent on killing them just for the sake of being right. Perhaps some of the readers are thinking: well if Pixel wants it to die, maybe it does actually sound or look better. Wouldn't that be a kick in the privates?

I would too, its a great service.
One problem that a lot have on boards like these (especially with a certain neurotic
ex new jerseyite) is they think that a lot of what you beleive is going to happen is
actually what you want to happen.
But a dropping stock price is the least of sat radios problems.
I have recently been out of work, for two months.
I SOLD blood plasma for three weeks for gas and food till my unemployment got started.
My meager savings and just about everything else, including upgrade plans.....
GONE.
Point is, the unemployment center is full, the blood vampires are SRO, the thrift shops packed, the malls mostly full of old geezers taking their walks.
None of these people are thinking about sat radio.
The media says that the unemployment rate is 9.7 percent, its actually double that
probably, wouldnt surprize me.
Just ask yourself, "will it get worse or better before it gets good for good"?
They are saying that if retail sales are flat with no drops it will be a good Christmas season, that used to be reffered to as a disaster.
My whole point, and I beleive it is a good one, is that sat radio has always been underfunded and hanging on by a thread.
Its survival is going to be an iffy proposistion at best, weather or not you like the service.
For an analogy, this isnt the roaring twenties anymore, but the 30's, and a lot havent glommed onto that quite yet.:1:

pixelthis
09-22-2009, 01:52 PM
STFU dumbass.

STILL TALKING TO YOURSELF I see.
Started answering back yet?:1:

nightflier
09-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Pix, I'm really sorry to hear about your financial situation, but I still don't agree with your point of view. This economy is bad, yes, but there's still a lot of upside of late, especially in hi-tech and even in hi-fi. If Sirius-XM can ride that same wave, they should be alright.

pixelthis
09-22-2009, 02:29 PM

[QUOTE]If I remember right, you also said at one point or another that Plasma, SACD, and LPs were dead. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but they aren't. If anything, your moribund persistent death-wishing is giving these formats more reason to survive, at least here on AR. Funny thing is, all these technologies you claim to be dead, are also considered the better sounding or viewable ones by more people than not. It's almost as if you're hellbent on killing them just for the sake of being right. Perhaps some of the readers are thinking: well if Pixel wants it to die, maybe it does actually sound or look better. Wouldn't that be a kick in the privates?

Not really.
I LOVE SACD, and LP has its place in my system.
BUT those two, and plasma are doomed, you can prattle on all you want, the market has spoken.
Has LP had a resurgance? Sure, and its tiny in the great scope of things.
Truth is yours and my generation are going to be the last where LP records were made like waffles and trucked by the millions to record stores across the country.
The record stores, BTW are dying also.
To todays generation records are a curiosity, soon they will live on only in memory,
and an army of Micheal Fremmers wont stop that from happening.
SACD, a great format for music, but most dont care for quality so much as downloading off of ITUNES and other web based services.
Ten years earlier(and no format war) and it might have had a chance.
My record store had about thirty different titles in SACD, went in for a NO DOUBT DVD collection
and they had none, clerk told me they didnt sell.
And plasma? Dont get me started.
Sales continue to shrink, what does it take for plasma fanboys to get it in their head,
this frankenstein of a form factor is going away.
Know why its a plasma, BTW?
Because they couldnt figure out a new way of making a flat display that a lot were screaming for, so they squished a CRT flat, use a lot of electrodes instead of one, but you need a way to get the electrodes to the phosper screen and you cant make a vaccum
vessel that thin, so some genius got the idea of using a plasma.
Plasma is a jury rigged mess, as owners will find out sooner or later.
If LCD had gotten cheaper faster it wouldnt even be around.
People like plasma because its comfort food, the shining phospers look more like the sets that our generation grew up with, so therefore they look better.
But to a new generation they are just going to look fuzzy, dark, etc.
NONE of this is my fault, its just the market.
Dont shoot the messenger because you dont like the message

BTW the reason I cheered BLU on so much was because I didnt want to happen to it
what happened to SACD, I thought that if it got established as a collectors medium
that it might avoid the fate of SACD, looks like that might happen.
But remember, the olds Cutlass was a best seller for years in the US, people have gone
broke by the millions trying to sell quality to Americans.
If I say something is going to DIE, that doesnt mean its bad, just that its in a bad spot
(except for plasma, of course):1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Another month goes by and whaddaya know? I still hear music out my XM box.

You're still wrong, and you're still a dumbass.

LOL!

nightflier
10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
FYI: my plasma's doing great too, so is my SACD player (just bough ten new disks), and I'm also enjoying my TT more of late - so many records to choose from these days...

By the way, I bought some XM-Sirius stock at 57 cents a share (just a little, for fun) and I'm already way ahead today.

pixelthis
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
FYI: my plasma's doing great too, so is my SACD player (just bough ten new disks), and I'm also enjoying my TT more of late - so many records to choose from these days...

By the way, I bought some XM-Sirius stock at 57 cents a share (just a little, for fun) and I'm already way ahead today.

While you're at it why don't you smoke some crack.
And those TT's and SACD players are fun, I really enjoy mine also.
Of course the TT is a museam peice and the DR keeps looking in the door to see if SACD has finally flatlined.
As for xm sirius , if you're going to flush perfectly good money down the toilet why don't you send it to me?
I need a good two channel amp and funds are short.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Hey dumbass, have you heard? All the good 2 channel amps are coming out of China these days. Emotiva to name just one...:1:

pixelthis
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey dumbass, have you heard? All the good 2 channel amps are coming out of China these days. Emotiva to name just one...:1:

Dont know who this "dumbass" youi keep reffering to is, but if you think that China
makes good amps you need to lay off the meth, not to mention the hookers
since your judgement is so impaired.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Dont know who this "dumbass" youi keep reffering to is,
Sure you do! So much so that apparently you finally figured out how to PM a mod to complain, which of course means I win again. I see Geoffcin edited one of my posts but that's okay, "village idiot" works too. lol.:1:

pixelthis
10-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Sure you do! So much so that apparently you finally figured out how to PM a mod to complain, which of course means I win again. I see Geoffcin edited one of my posts but that's okay, "village idiot" works too. lol.:1:

"Village idiot " is more apropo of your mentally diseased self, and of all of your attendant mental problems you can add paranoia.
I have PM'ED nobody, do you seriously think I can't handle a punk such as yourself
on my own?
Or that I even care that much about youor opinion?
You're like the crackheads in the E.R where I used to work, sitting there and babbling their pronouncments like they are the most important thing in the world, when in reality (remember reality?) nobody gives a rats patootie.
Especially me.
More likely you just offended the semsibilities of someone on this site, probably a
newbie who doesnt understand that the hostility underlying every one of your posts
is harmless, the venting of a loser who was laid off by a company he praised every
chance he got, who became unhinged when being stabbed in the back by said company.
Wasnt me, anyway, need to handle you I will just get a flyswatter.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
10-28-2009, 05:48 AM
"Village idiot " is more apropo of your mentally diseased self, and of all of your attendant mental problems you can add paranoia.
I have PM'ED nobody, do you seriously think I can't handle a punk such as yourself
on my own?
Or that I even care that much about youor opinion?
You're like the crackheads in the E.R where I used to work, sitting there and babbling their pronouncments like they are the most important thing in the world, when in reality (remember reality?) nobody gives a rats patootie.
Especially me.
More likely you just offended the semsibilities of someone on this site, probably a
newbie who doesnt understand that the hostility underlying every one of your posts
is harmless, the venting of a loser who was laid off by a company he praised every
chance he got, who became unhinged when being stabbed in the back by said company.
Wasnt me, anyway, need to handle you I will just get a flyswatter.:1:
So that's how you "handle" someone? By lying? No village idiot (dumbass), I'm still happily employed by my company (which BTW scored a 24% PFO in 3rd Q), and still proving you wrong day-in, day-out, just like everyone else here. :rolleyes:

Geoffcin
10-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I think this thread has gone on long enough. Wanna fight it out? Head over to the "Steel Cage"