VPI Scout [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : VPI Scout

kraken
02-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I just recently purchased a VPI Scout turntable, I was really excited when I made my set-up to this new gear of mine, only to find out & experience a hum and static sound.

Hum & static was really over the music passages I am playing. Can anybody help me on how to eliminate the hum & static?

JohnMichael
02-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Welcome to AudioReview. I checked your profile and you have not listed your equipment. If you could tell us your phono cartridge, phono pre-amp and amplification we may be able to help.

kraken
02-10-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm currently using Alchemist Forseti integrated amplifier class A - A/B, cartridge is Audio Technica 440MLa, speakers Sonus Faber Minuetto, phonostage MM Goldring PA1 & Project Phonobox SE.

Hope you can help.

blackraven
02-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Do you have the ground wire of the TT connected?

JohnMichael
02-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Blackraven mentioned the gorund wire and in some set-ups the hum stops when the ground is disconnected. Sometimes moving the phono pre-amp can reduce hum. Shielded interconnects can help reduce hum by minimizing RFI and other airborn noise. The AT cartridge is well shielded so I do not think it is a concern. I did have hum from a cartridge one time because the wires that attached to the cartridge pins were close enough to hum but not to short out. I would check all your connections first to see if that eliminates the problem. Then I would check the Pro-ject preamp to make sure it is set for a Moving magnet cartridge and not MC.

Let us know how you do and we wil continue to try and help.

jrhymeammo
02-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Did you buy this TT used, and had it shipped via UPS?
If so, we really hope your TT wasn't damanged.

1. Check all the wiring connections(Green Red, White, Blue) such as Cartridge <=> Cartridge Clip. Clip damanged?

2. Does hum increase/decrease when you place your hand near the tonearm?

3. Does hum increase.decrease when you swing the tonearm manually? This could be a bad connection in the tonearm wire.

4. As Blackraven questioned, do you have a ground-wire connected to your phono pre?

5. Have you tried different cable between the VPI and Phono Pre to test for shorted wire?

6. Do you have access to a different TT to hook up and test your phono preamp?

7. Have to tried a different set of RCA input on your integrated amp?

I'm sure there are more places to look, but that's all I got tonight......
Hope it helps
JRA

RGA
02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
All good suggestions so far - if they don't work then check out TV Cable. I had a huge problem with televsion cable coming into my home not grounded. It did not affect any of my tube gear but it made all the SS gear hum quite badly. This is pretty common and the cable companies can fix the problem for free by grounding their cables going into your home. Probably more common with older apartments than newer places but it could be an issue.

Luvin Da Blues
02-11-2009, 06:19 AM
All good suggestions so far - if they don't work then check out TV Cable. I had a huge problem with televsion cable coming into my home not grounded. It did not affect any of my tube gear but it made all the SS gear hum quite badly. This is pretty common and the cable companies can fix the problem for free by grounding their cables going into your home. Probably more common with older apartments than newer places but it could be an issue.

Good points RGA, I went thru this when I switched to HiDef. After talking it over with the cable co. I grounded my CATV splitter and haven't had any humming issues since.

kraken
02-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Did you buy this TT used, and had it shipped via UPS?
If so, we really hope your TT wasn't damanged.

1. Check all the wiring connections(Green Red, White, Blue) such as Cartridge <=> Cartridge Clip. Clip damanged?

2. Does hum increase/decrease when you place your hand near the tonearm?

3. Does hum increase.decrease when you swing the tonearm manually? This could be a bad connection in the tonearm wire.

4. As Blackraven questioned, do you have a ground-wire connected to your phono pre?

5. Have you tried different cable between the VPI and Phono Pre to test for shorted wire?

6. Do you have access to a different TT to hook up and test your phono preamp?

7. Have to tried a different set of RCA input on your integrated amp?

I'm sure there are more places to look, but that's all I got tonight......
Hope it helps
JRA

Yes, I have connected ground wire from VPI Scout to phonostage.

"2. Does hum increase/decrease when you place your hand near the tonearm?" - Hum increases when I place my hand near the tonearm.

"3. Does hum increase.decrease when you swing the tonearm manually? This could be a bad connection in the tonearm wire." - Yes, hum increases when I swing the tonearm, but when I touch and hold the RCA connection at the back junction box of my VPI Scout , hum and static stops.

jrhymeammo
02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes, I have connected ground wire from VPI Scout to phonostage.

"2. Does hum increase/decrease when you place your hand near the tonearm?" - Hum increases when I place my hand near the tonearm.

"3. Does hum increase.decrease when you swing the tonearm manually? This could be a bad connection in the tonearm wire." - Yes, hum increases when I swing the tonearm, but when I touch and hold the RCA connection at the back junction box of my VPI Scout , hum and static stops.

First, tell us exactly what Interconnect you are using between the junction box and phonopre.

Based on your replies on 2&3, I will say that your VPI becomes grounded thru/to you when you make a contact to your TT. But don't come to a conclusion that your TT has grounding issues. You could very well be experiencing EMI as well.

When I first moved in to my current apartment, my analog gear was picking up more than 1 radio station. Also, I was experience the same problem you are having right now with hum and noise. With hundreds of trials and errors, I have come to undestand my environment. I will list few things you can try in your environment that has helped me for a couple of years.

A - Trying lifting up/down your interconnect between your TT<=>Phono Pre.
Prop up or wedge down your IC under different object can reduce tremendous amount of noise in my setup. Again, what cable do you use?

B - Relocate your TT to a different position. Just like speaker placements, few inches can make a big difference as well. If your TT is placed on a audio rack, then you may have to relocate your rack too. As RGA mentioned, TV cable and TV can have negative effects as well. Just move it away from major electric appliances.

C - Turn your TT and or Phono Pre by 90, 180, 270 degrees. I have yet to figure out why this works. Just try it and see if that works.

D - I would like to know the interconnect you are using, but back when I had my Pro-Ject Deck, I had wrapped the TT cable with ERS sheet by Stillpoint. This includes the body of wire and RCA plugs. It will be ugly and can be costly, but it had reduced 99% of noise in my previous setup. But again, all environment is difffernt. Try searching for a thread under "ERS" in our Analog forum.

E. Cardas or other similar RCA cover plugs. It is possible that your phono pre's unused inputs are sucking in unwanted noise. When a device adds 60+ dBs, it becomes a noise magnet.

I hope you wouldnt have to result to D&E, since you had just purchased an expensive TT. At the moment, I doubt that your TT is faulty. As you know, every analog gear behaves differently. They all have a mind of its own, and you just gotta get to know each one of them. If above and previous posts do not help, I sure others can throw in more advice.

Best Regards,
JRA

JohnMichael
02-12-2009, 06:56 AM
I had a hum problem once similar to what you describe. The screws holding the rca plugs in place had loosened and I lost ground. Once tightened everything returned to normal. I would check to see if there are any external screws on the junction box and tighten if needed.

kraken
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
First, tell us exactly what Interconnect you are using between the junction box and phonopre.

Based on your replies on 2&3, I will say that your VPI becomes grounded thru/to you when you make a contact to your TT. But don't come to a conclusion that your TT has grounding issues. You could very well be experiencing EMI as well.

When I first moved in to my current apartment, my analog gear was picking up more than 1 radio station. Also, I was experience the same problem you are having right now with hum and noise. With hundreds of trials and errors, I have come to undestand my environment. I will list few things you can try in your environment that has helped me for a couple of years.

A - Trying lifting up/down your interconnect between your TT<=>Phono Pre.
Prop up or wedge down your IC under different object can reduce tremendous amount of noise in my setup. Again, what cable do you use?

B - Relocate your TT to a different position. Just like speaker placements, few inches can make a big difference as well. If your TT is placed on a audio rack, then you may have to relocate your rack too. As RGA mentioned, TV cable and TV can have negative effects as well. Just move it away from major electric appliances.

C - Turn your TT and or Phono Pre by 90, 180, 270 degrees. I have yet to figure out why this works. Just try it and see if that works.

D - I would like to know the interconnect you are using, but back when I had my Pro-Ject Deck, I had wrapped the TT cable with ERS sheet by Stillpoint. This includes the body of wire and RCA plugs. It will be ugly and can be costly, but it had reduced 99% of noise in my previous setup. But again, all environment is difffernt. Try searching for a thread under "ERS" in our Analog forum.

E. Cardas or other similar RCA cover plugs. It is possible that your phono pre's unused inputs are sucking in unwanted noise. When a device adds 60+ dBs, it becomes a noise magnet.

I hope you wouldnt have to result to D&E, since you had just purchased an expensive TT. At the moment, I doubt that your TT is faulty. As you know, every analog gear behaves differently. They all have a mind of its own, and you just gotta get to know each one of them. If above and previous posts do not help, I sure others can throw in more advice.

Best Regards,
JRA

"A - Trying lifting up/down your interconnect between your TT<=>Phono Pre.
Prop up or wedge down your IC under different object can reduce tremendous amount of noise in my setup. Again, what cable do you use?" - Iniatially, I tried using Kimber cables and after that I already use the same brand VPI Phonobox as mentioned from its manual, but still hum & static were still prevailing.

I will try to relocate the TT as you have suggested, I hope it works.

Thanks.

jrhymeammo
02-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Iniatially, I tried using Kimber cables and after that I already use the same brand VPI Phonobox as mentioned from its manual, but still hum & static were still prevailing.

I will try to relocate the TT as you have suggested, I hope it works.

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by VPI Phonobox. Do you use VPI's JMW Series 2 cables?
I was thinking about acquiring a pair due to their excellent reputation for noise rejection.
I've tried Kimber's PBJ before, and they provided the worst noise rejection in my analog setup.

I guess one of the questions no one has asked is that is this your first TT? Have you connected a different TT with the same setup? If you have, how was the noise then.

I really hope you'll get it resolved, cuz VPI produces excellent TTs. And more importantly, you outta be enjoying great music.
Best Wishes,

JRA

kraken
02-14-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by VPI Phonobox. Do you use VPI's JMW Series 2 cables?
I was thinking about acquiring a pair due to their excellent reputation for noise rejection.
I've tried Kimber's PBJ before, and they provided the worst noise rejection in my analog setup.

I guess one of the questions no one has asked is that is this your first TT? Have you connected a different TT with the same setup? If you have, how was the noise then.

I really hope you'll get it resolved, cuz VPI produces excellent TTs. And more importantly, you outta be enjoying great music.
Best Wishes,

JRA

I stand corrected, what I mean is VPI junction box. Yes, It's the JMW Series 2 Phono Cables.

No, this is not my first TT, I've had several already from Goldring, Thorens, Rega, Project and even Technics & Stanton, that is why I am kinda anxious about what I am experiencing with VPI Scout.

I hope that I can resolve this the soonest time.

Thanks