Need AMP/System Recommendation for 901's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need AMP/System Recommendation for 901's

WayneD
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I just scored a pair of Bose 901's with the BOSE EQ....for 200 bucks off of craigslist.
Heard them, loved them.

I want to use the 901's for my Home Theater Fronts AND I want a new A/V Receiver.

I want power, power, power AND Clean Movie sound and music and I want to be able to control the volume on the 901's from my Harmony remote..of course.

BOSE Documentation says...
For Home theater use: Must have "PRE AMP OUT" / "MAIN AMP IN"

I have been using a Sony A/V Receiver Sony STR-DE985...ready to replace it. It does not take it when I crank the sound up. So it will be a bedroom Amp with the 201's.

I have been using
Bose 301's mounted on the ceiling as fronts. (Going to be rears)
Bose 201's mounted on the ceiling as rears. (Going in office or Bedroom)
Bose Center Channel as a Center. duh.
JBL Sub. Works fine...Base is acceptable.
Harmony Remote - LOVE it.

I am committed to my Bose Speaker 'Kit' do not slag my speaker preference. I would not expect my woman to be to everybody elses liking and my speakers are much the same. I love em and they are mine.

How do I need to configure this?
What Amp/s under 1500 bucks will give me what I am looking for?
What Amp/s under 1000 bucks will give me what I am looking for?

I will be buying by the end of the week.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne

f0rge
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
honestly i think you're going to have trouble finding a mainstream receiver with a "MAIN AMP IN". most will have a pre-out but "main-amp ins" went the way of the dodo and the graphic equalizer.

you might end up having to go with a pre-amp/amp combo to get what you're looking for. something like a denon 2808 or yamaha 1800/1900 used as a pre-amp with a 5 channel amp to power the speakers.

someone please correct me if i'm wrong, but i cant find anything from denon/yamaha/onkyo that would work.

bfalls
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Just as well. I don't think an all Bose system is good for HT. Part of the standards are controlled directivity of the front LCR speakers. With the 901s and other Bose direct-relfecting designed speakers bouncing the sound all over, you'll have an ill-defined image. They're somewhat OK as side and rear surrounds to produce ambience, but terrible for trying to reproduce what the sound engineer intended in movies. I bet they would really su@k for multi-channel (SACD DVD-Audio).

cjpremierfour
02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I also wouldn't want to try the Bose 901's on a multichannel set-up, but if you must. I would go with a Home Theater receiver with the Pre-Out jacks for your 7.1 or 5.1 needs. I would then look for a pair of old Carver amplifiers. The TFM 22,25,35 or the M 1.0 series that would give your 700 watts per channel at 8 ohm if you go with a mono block option.

With the 2 amplifiers and receiver it should keep you under budget also.
Good Luck!:2: