Blu - Ray - Walmart [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Blu - Ray - Walmart

s dog
02-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Before xmas my local walmarts only carried the Panny 30 & the Samsung 1500. Well they sold out on everything but one panny 30, I want the 35, The thing is they never replaced there stock with any newer players, I thought for sure they would bring in the 35 by now, Same thing at sears, They told me that the panny 35 was going to be replaced by a new model and they wouldn't be getting any more in. Maybe i waited to long for a good deal on the 35 , I just thought with the bad economy the players would get dirt cheap but they never did , At lest not in my area, And im leery about buying one off the net, Not sure what to do, Best buy has the 35 for $299.00 but i hate to give that much, Are there any good website you guys trust for the panny 35. Im just surpired more place's don't carry the panny.

Mr Peabody
02-08-2009, 08:10 PM
The Panasonic dmp-35 is a good player and $299.00 is a good price for it. If you look on the web even you won't see it any cheaper. If you do, let me know. Amazon is selling the Pioneer BD-51 for $289.00, the Sony BD-s350 is $295.00. You can find cheaper but the 3 I mentioned are pretty good buys if you can go that much. My daughter has the Samsung BD-P1500 and for under $200.00 it's a pretty good player but the DVD playback will be average at best and no onboard decoding.

I've been doing a lot of looking lately at BD players, what features do you need?

s dog
02-09-2009, 07:38 AM
The Panasonic dmp-35 is a good player and $299.00 is a good price for it. If you look on the web even you won't see it any cheaper. If you do, let me know. Amazon is selling the Pioneer BD-51 for $289.00, the Sony BD-s350 is $295.00. You can find cheaper but the 3 I mentioned are pretty good buys if you can go that much. My daughter has the Samsung BD-P1500 and for under $200.00 it's a pretty good player but the DVD playback will be average at best and no onboard decoding.

I've been doing a lot of looking lately at BD players, what features do you need?

The panny 35 has all i need, I do have a older receiver but planning on buying a newer one so i dont need a player that has the 7.1 out puts, I think i will just take my time and see if i can find one for around $250.00, I seen one for that a few weeks ago at sear's, But buy the time i got around to getting to the store they was gone. Missed my chance there darn it.

Mr Peabody
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow, that was a deal. I'm thinking that Pioneer bd51 is one of the better deals going. The reviews on Amazon say it's a great player once the firmware is updated. CNET also had good things to say on the Panny.

winston
02-09-2009, 08:25 PM
SPEAKING OF PANASONIC BR PLAYERS

has anyone seen them anywhere ? most of the others are easy to be found at a nice price..... even on amazon just a few DMP-35 used $262, refurbished $246 + $19 shipping from worldwide distributors on amazon. new $400+ whats up with them
DMP-35 & 55 MR PEABODY ?

Mr Peabody
02-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I like the Pannys but they have kept the price up. I would buy the Panny before the Sony. For the savings though I'm not sure if the Panny would be better than that Pioneer bd51. I think what's bugging me is I keep looking at them all hoping something will stand out among the pack and it just isn't happening. The good reviews on the Pannys and Pioneer are nudge. The Sony s350 reviews are a bit contradictory as they say the DVD playback looks good but then show if fails a lot of the video tests. Of course, if anyone's noticed there aren't many good pro reviews on Blu-ray players for some reason. CNET has the most but I've heard people say their reviews are a bit biased.

RoadRunner6
02-10-2009, 12:18 AM
The Panny 35 and 55 do stand out from the pack as the best of the current crop. The December issue of HT Magazine reviewed them and the Pioneer BDP-51FD. They called the Panny's the best and were not too fond of the Pioneer 51.

"..........Wrapping Up
Although Pioneer definitely made some strides in its video performance, this player is a step back in basic operability and speed compared with other recent entries in the market. Combined with the BDP-51FD’s BD-Live incompatibility, this isn’t a player I can recommend given the state of the market today, in spite of its strengths in other areas of performance..........."

The Panny's sold out fast and the few remaining are at very high prices. The next generation models 60 and 80 will be out in a month or two. You'll have to be patient.

http://www.blurayfreak.com/2009/01/first-look-at-t.html

RR6

winston
02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
The Panny's sold out fast and the few remaining are at very high prices. The next generation models 60 and 80 will be out in a month or two. You'll have to be patient.
(QUOTE RR6)
thanks RR6....so that's what happen! i checked out that link man those new players are
gonna be good, got my eyes on them.... love that auto power off stand-by function nice as most BR players and recorders don't have that feature.

...WINSTON...

Mr Peabody
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I wonder how many of those VHS/Blu-ray combos will sell?

winston
02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
that's a reasonable QUESTION however you know the answer to that. NOT A WHOLE LOT... (Panasonic logo is ideas for life smart) BUT that's gonna be a hard sell (IMO) :idea: maybe they toss one in to spice up deal whenever you purchase a 60/80 BR

Luvin Da Blues
02-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Wouldn't that be like hooking up a Craig 8-track to your system Mr.P?

Mr Peabody
02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Maybe they'll upsample it and convert it to HDMI. This new series has an innovative video circuitry that's supposed to improve picture quality, it's 4 4 4. This could be worth waiting for.

I wonder why none of these higher end players are getting any pro reviews. I'm trying to find info and reviews are scarce. Most of the stuff on the web is questionable.

98CRV
02-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I picked up a refurbished Panny 35 on ebay last week for $240 shipped. The seller had twenty of them and it was a "Buy It Now" auction. They were gone in less than two days. The demand for the Panny 35 & 55 is very strong. If you can find the '35 for $299 at a local B&M then I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of it. You will be hard-pressed to snag a new one on ebay for that price these days.

I had no qualms about buying a refurb as I've bought several refurbished electronics items in the past without a single problem.

Screefer
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM
I just checked with the outfit that I purchased my BD-35 from in early December (for$259.00cdn) and they are all out of the 35's and 50's. He's waiting for the new models to arrive in April. Their prices are better than any where that I have seen or heard.

If you can wait for the new model. Try these guys.http://andresaudiotronic.com
I purchased at the Kamloops store and received a1 service from Lucas Golden.
They will ship anywhere.:thumbsup:

s dog
02-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I see parts express has the sherwood BDP-5003 blu-ray player for $199.00. Bad thing is i know nothing about this player, Im guessing its not as good as the panny 35, But i do like the price and parts express has alway treated me good, What do you guys think about the 5003 ? I see other places selling it for $399.00.

winston
02-14-2009, 09:50 PM
SONY BDP-S550

anyone interested check out (PRICEGRAGGER .COM) COMPARISON SHOPPING two stores MAC MALL $290.63, CLUB MAC $281.98 shipped....
(MR. P , S DOG) "this is a very very nice unit it plays everything " i know we all love the panny.? however this unit will do the job, i just finish watching HIT MAN BR- DISC in the DTS-HD master audio, i am now listening DIANA KRALL the look of love in stereo through the HDMI..... its all good.

N. Abstentia
02-15-2009, 08:48 AM
SONY BDP-S550

anyone interested check out (PRICEGRAGGER .COM) COMPARISON SHOPPING two stores MAC MALL $290.63, CLUB MAC $281.98 shipped....
(MR. P , S DOG) "this is a very very nice unit it plays everything " i know we all love the panny.? however this unit will do the job, i just finish watching HIT MAN BR- DISC in the DTS-HD master audio, i am now listening DIANA KRALL the look of love in stereo through the HDMI..... its all good.

I was gonna recommend the S550, but the best price I could find was a $329 sale at Crutchfield. I'm glad you found those prices. But even if you had to spend a little more for the 550 over the Panny I think it's worth it. The Pannys seem to work fine, but are very slow compared to the 550.

Mr Peabody
02-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Amazon shows the BDP-s550 for $318.00 through a 2nd seller. The best deal going is that Pioneer BD-51 going now for $288.00. With the firmware update this is said to be a killer machine. It retailed at $599.00.

winston
02-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Marantz AV-8003 & BD-7003*

so MR PEABODY as usual i always check out you guys high-end line up...so how is that new beast (BD-7003) doing have you given it a proper WO as yet ?. good luck with it,

winston
02-15-2009, 06:43 PM
QUOTE < The Pannys seem to work fine, but are very slow compared to the 550 >

yes N.ABSTENTIA.... that was my reason for given the BDP-S550 a spin, i bought the panny 50 on a 30 day return from BRANDS MART over here, i return it after 20 days as i decided to wait on the 35 & 55 that was coming out in about two weeks time... but after reading what forum members had to say about the PLAY STATION 3 L.J, KEX and others, i decided give 550 a spin" AND ITS ALL GOOD

Mr Peabody
02-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Winston, can you tell any difference in picture quality between the Panny and Sony?

I have comments on the 7003 on my thread "I'm about fed up with my bd1200". But yeah, I love the 7003. I was very hesitant because of price and lack of features. I was pretty intent on trying the bd51 until I saw it was the size of a receiver and the local shop offered to let me borrow a 7003. I'm not sure what they used for video chips but I am very impressed with both HD and SD picture quality. The bitstream HD audio into my 8003 sounds very good too. It's not perfect though, still slow and the disc drive when loading is pretty loud. With my cabinet door closed I can still hear it from about 11 feet away. The bottom line for me though is the audio/video performance and that's the 7003 strong point.

Woochifer
02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
You're gonna have to wait if you want a Panny because the DMP-BD35 has already been discontinued. I remember when they first came out in late-summer, I saw stacks of them at Costco for $250, while the DMP-30s were getting closed out at $230. (Apparently, the only difference between the two was the BD35's Profile 2.0 features) Now, I don't see them anywhere and my understanding is that they are getting harder to find.

The replacement model DMP-BD60 won't arrive in stores until April, and will apparently have more substantial revisions under the hood than the BD35 did when it replaced the BD30. It will use a brand new video processor (which may or may not be a good thing depending on its performance and freedom from early production bugs), and include built-in Viera Cast, which allows you to access Amazon VOD titles and YouTube videos.

winston
02-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Winston, can you tell any difference in picture quality between the Panny and Sony?

well Mr P. my experience/try-out of the panny. was the DMP-BD50.. the picture quality is about the same as the Sony, but IMO.. in comparison with these two units only the audio is better in all forms (ON THE SONY) that said last night i read your BD-L1200 thread boy" i know the feelings when you put that br disc in and its rejected kind of make you wanna think out LOUD!.. back to your thread everything that was said makes sense. But however (NIGHTFLIER) really open up i love that topic we really need think about what he is saying i know i am until next time....Winston.