Image retention/burn in using plasma as computer monitor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Image retention/burn in using plasma as computer monitor

Wekiva
02-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm sick and tired of my 32" Sony Trinitron (darn thing just won't die...15 years old). I am ready to jump on the flat panel bandwagon and am really torn about the LCD vs Plasma issue.

My room does have some light coming in but it's from a window that is covered by a flat roof over the back porch...and on top of that 95% of my TV watching is at night...so I'm not worried about reflected light being an issue.

I'm looking at the Samsung PN58A550. We really feel 58" is as small as we want to go which definitely lends itself to plasma to save some $$$. (Do they make many LCDs over 52"...only see two 65" at Bestbuy.com)

My real concern about all this is that I'm going to put in a Windows Media PC in the living room and the plasma will be used as the monitor. There are some obvious things I'll do like setting a screen saver at 10 minutes or so. But what if I'm using a program (any program...but take Google Earth as an example) for an hour or more...while I may be zooming around the world for most of the screen...the top bar will stay a consistent image (as it would using any program typically). That is where I'm worried about image retention/burn in.

I know this is a debatable subject but I'd love to hear from anyone using a plasma with a computer and hear how its working out for them.

Thanks

pixelthis
02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
data LOOKS better on LCD(as does anything else IMHO)
Looking at static images on any phosper based veiwing device is just asking
for trouble, don't listen to the propaganda, most plasmas have several "anti burn in"
gimmicks, and they all compromise the pic.
GET an LCD, ITS one that will last longer, use less energy, and is immune to burn in.:1:

02audionoob
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Some things you can do to reduce the risk of image retention:

1. Give the TV 100 hours of use before you do the static images.

2. Change the colors of the Windows scheme so the contrast isn't drastic. Instead of dark bars with white text, try medium gray bars.

3. Mix it up. After using Windows on it for a long time, run a movie or TV show on it.

4. Buy one of the good ones. Maybe take a pass on the Insignia.

pixelthis
02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Some things you can do to reduce the risk of image retention:

1. Give the TV 100 hours of use before you do the static images.

2. Change the colors of the Windows scheme so the contrast isn't drastic. Instead of dark bars with white text, try medium gray bars.

3. Mix it up. After using Windows on it for a long time, run a movie or TV show on it.

4. Buy one of the good ones. Maybe take a pass on the Insignia.

OR just get an LCD and not have to worry about ANY of this crap, ever.:1:

02audionoob
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Admittedly a good point.

pixelthis
02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Admittedly a good point.

I'M JUST SAYIN,,,

A state official was touring one of the nicer mental health facilities,
and was puzzled by the bathtub full of water.
The administrator said it was a "test"
"We give them a spoon, a cup, and a bucket, and ask them how they would
empty the tub".
"OH I SEE, replied the official, and a sane person would pick the bucket, right?"
"NO", replied the administrator, a sane person would pull the drainplug ,
would you like a bed by the window?"

Duds
02-10-2009, 09:49 AM
You'll be fine with a quality plasma. Dont listen to Pixie, he had drunk too much of the "LCD is better" kool aide.

He talks about plasma fans buying into the "hype" yet he has bought into the LCD hype and negative plasma talk more than anyone.

pixelthis
02-10-2009, 10:45 PM
You'll be fine with a quality plasma. Dont listen to Pixie, he had drunk too much of the "LCD is better" kool aide.

He talks about plasma fans buying into the "hype" yet he has bought into the LCD hype and negative plasma talk more than anyone.

WHY take a chance with burn in with a plasma when LCD has ZERO problem with
it?
Time for YOU to drink the "koolaid", :1:

Duds
02-11-2009, 06:40 AM
burn-in is possible on an LCD as well, did you know that num nuts?

WHY take a chance with burn in with a plasma when LCD has ZERO problem with
it?
Time for YOU to drink the "koolaid", :1:

GMichael
02-11-2009, 07:02 AM
I know you guys like to debate the whole LCD vs plasma thing, but the OP did say, "I know this is a debatable subject but I'd love to hear from anyone using a plasma with a computer and hear how its working out for them."
Do we have anyone here who is actually using a plasma as a computer monitor? I use a projector, so I can't really help him. Maybe someone else here has first hand experience.

Groundbeef
02-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I know you guys like to debate the whole LCD vs plasma thing, but the OP did say, "I know this is a debatable subject but I'd love to hear from anyone using a plasma with a computer and hear how its working out for them."
Do we have anyone here who is actually using a plasma as a computer monitor? I use a projector, so I can't really help him. Maybe someone else here has first hand experience.

About the only thing I've done on my 50" plasma that is computer related, is pull media files off my PC using my XBOX 360.

I do gaming with my XBOX 360 on the Plasma, and haven't had any "burn" issues.

As far as watching media on the 360 via the Plasma, that has been good as well.

Wekiva
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM

I agree I wouldn't have to worry about burn in with an LCD...but I'd have to worry about my wallet a lot more.

My room needs about a 60" screen...at bestbuy.com I'm limited to only 2 LCD units over 60":
Sharp Aquos 65" for $4,000
Sharp Aquos 65" 120Hz $5,600

That's why I'm shying away from LCD...really bad selection at the size I want. Price/size being the same I'd have an LCD in a heartbeat.

pixelthis
02-11-2009, 11:24 PM
burn-in is possible on an LCD as well, did you know that num nuts?

No I did NOT know that...
because its not true
Burn in is impossible on a LCD because of the way its made.
YOU get burn in on a plasma and a CRT because they both use PHOSPER,
which will fade in a pattern of use.
LCD is just a sheet of thin film transistors that turn on and off like a switch, letting light
through, you can show a painting on a LCD for a decade, and turn it off and NO
evidence of teh previous pic will remain.
TRY that with a plasma.:1:

pixelthis
02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I agree I wouldn't have to worry about burn in with an LCD...but I'd have to worry about my wallet a lot more.

My room needs about a 60" screen...at bestbuy.com I'm limited to only 2 LCD units over 60":
Sharp Aquos 65" for $4,000
Sharp Aquos 65" 120Hz $5,600

That's why I'm shying away from LCD...really bad selection at the size I want. Price/size being the same I'd have an LCD in a heartbeat.

Then go with door number three...
DLP.
Its a dying format sure, but still a great bargain.
It has a better pic than either LCD or PLASMA , and you can get a 70" for 1800$
on QVC.COM.
And you can get a LED model (preffered ) for about 2200 bucks.
You will never hang it on your wall but you probably wont hang a 60" anything
on your wall, anyway.
Worth checking out , at least.:1:

audio amateur
02-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Why don't you buy a projector? Much cheaper and you can get a 90'' screen if you like..

lucasskywalker1
02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm currently using my 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-1540HD and a DELL XPS 420 w/Q9550 Quad core Processor no burn in as of yet though, I am cautious and ever vigilante about it.