Jessica Simpson chokes like boyfriend Tony Romo. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Simpson chokes like boyfriend Tony Romo.

Swish
02-07-2009, 05:49 AM
It was a strange night Thursday in Van Andel Arena.

How strange was it?

So strange that while headliner Rascal Flatts capped the night with a fantastic, 100-minute multi-sensory overdose of pop, country and rock -- its signature hit-making formula -- another artist, opening act Jessica Simpson, inadvertently stole the spotlight.

The award-winning country trio Rascal Flatts performed Thursday night in Van Andel Arena with Jessica Simpson as the opening act. The guys were really that good, but Jessica stole the spotlight. I'm sure it wasn't planned that way.

The trio of Gary LeVox, Joe Don Rooney and Jay DeMarcus is easily one of country's most talent vocal groups, and the nearly 9,000 fans in attendance at Van Andel Arena appreciated every single song by singing, dancing and texting friends all night long.

But it was pop singer-turned-actor-turned-country starlet, Jessica Simpson, who generated the most reaction as she fought back tears, forgot her lyrics and mumbled her way through a bizarre 38-minute set.

It left fans talking more about her strange behavior than about her supposed weight gain, which by the way wasn't obvious in her short-shorts, black T-shirt and boots.

Almost from the opening song of "These Boots are Made for Walking," Simpson fought with her ear monitors, constantly trying to keep them in place, meaning she was having difficulty hearing her own voice. That's frustrating.

At one point she had her backing seven-piece band stop and start over on the uptempo song "Pray Out Loud."

After that, she forgot the lyrics to her single "Come on Over," which left her extremely frustrated, asking for forgiveness from the audience by mouthing the word "sorry" on two large video screens.

Things got so bad that while introducing her closing song, "Do You Know," the title track of her country album, and a song she recorded with her idol Dolly Parton, the singer said there are times she feels like walking off the stage -- "like tonight." At the end of the song, she thanked her band for "having her back." And it looked as if she was wiping away tears as she walked off the stage.

And no boyfriend was in the house to console her. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, who was rumored to be making the trip to Grand Rapids, was not in the audience. Or at least that's how Simpson played it, saying early in her set: "I'm so excited, I get to see my boyfriend tomorrow."

This is almost as good as seeing Romo fumble that snap in the playoff game last year. Life's simple pleasures are the best.

3-LockBox
02-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't know that I enjoy reading stuff like that. But it is very telling. While most singers in any genre gets to start at the bottom and hone their craft before they hit the big scene, prefab stars like Simpson, Spears, et el, get thrust (pun intended) into super stardom without every really earning it or being good at it for that matter. Starlet template Madonna made it look like a simple transition, but Madonna did spend a lot of time in small clubs, not to mention attending dance academy. At least shows like American Idol are some sort of proving ground, but for the most part, its the Johnny Bravo syndrome explaining the majority of these acts.

It'd be like a buncha guys saying, "we wanna be the next Rolling Stones" and some suit gives 'em guitars and clothes and sez, "here, we'll make it look good and"....wait, they do that...never mind.

Well, I hope Rascal Flatts were better. Sorry if Jessica's near breakdown spoiled your outting there Swishy.

Rich-n-Texas
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Who was on her back? What did she choke on?:idea:

Swish
02-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I don't know that I enjoy reading stuff like that. But it is very telling. While most singers in any genre gets to start at the bottom and hone their craft before they hit the big scene, prefab stars like Simpson, Spears, et el, get thrust (pun intended) into super stardom without every really earning it or being good at it for that matter. Starlet template Madonna made it look like a simple transition, but Madonna did spend a lot of time in small clubs, not to mention attending dance academy. At least shows like American Idol are some sort of proving ground, but for the most part, its the Johnny Bravo syndrome explaining the majority of these acts.

It'd be like a buncha guys saying, "we wanna be the next Rolling Stones" and some suit gives 'em guitars and clothes and sez, "here, we'll make it look good and"....wait, they do that...never mind.

Well, I hope Rascal Flatts were better. Sorry if Jessica's near breakdown spoiled your outting there Swishy.

...Jessica Simpson or Rascal Flats. Oh, you were kidding, right?

bobsticks
02-08-2009, 08:51 AM
I had a pretty good idea you weren't in Western Michigan. There'd have been a Calvinist revolt.

3-LockBox
02-08-2009, 03:59 PM
...Jessica Simpson or Rascal Flats. Oh, you were kidding, right?

:ciappa: