GNP Speakers out of Cali... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : GNP Speakers out of Cali...

Worf101
02-05-2009, 06:46 AM
Need information quick. This is a local Craiglist thingy... GNP speakers $200 for the pair. They look right. Any information would be appreciated...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Worf101/My%20Pics/GNPSpeakers.jpg

Da Worfster

Luvin Da Blues
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
...if you haven't,

"GNP audio Valkries. Early 80's two piece speakers.
They are about 88db and 16 ohm. Good sound if your amp
is up to the 16 ohm load. Laid back sound, with good
balance, and there are mid and high tone adjustments."

Worf101
02-05-2009, 06:59 AM
I can get these or a pair of Snell XA60's for about the same price local pick up. Which way would you go?

Da Worfster

Luvin Da Blues
02-05-2009, 07:03 AM
I can get these or a pair of Snell XA60's for about the same price local pick up. Which way would you go?

Da Worfster

Not familiar with either but that 16 Ohm load would raise my eyebrows a bit tho. For $200 whats ya got to lose, I'm sure you could resell without a loss.

spasticteapot
02-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Those look like Vifa drivers for the woofer and mid-woofer, and a Peerless tweeter (though it's hard to tell). The dome is unknown.

Jimmy C
02-05-2009, 08:40 AM
...that is, if I needed more speakers, had the room, etc...

Yeah, if you already don't know, they used to make speakers, now just an audio store. 1254 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena. I just looked at the store front with the street-level mapping :*) Cool thing!

I bet these have some pretty good bass... and 16 Ohms? Easy load...

Keep us informed

bobsticks
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I heard they have a better than average hi-end with a completely undocumented low-end.

squeegy200
02-05-2009, 02:47 PM
I worked for GNP way back in the 80s when Brooks Berdan designed and built the GNP lineup.Bill Gross had originally started building these speakers but it was Brooks who took them to the next level. At the time, they were highly regarded and won numerous awards at several of the shows.

I recently visited Brooks at his current shop and he was presenting the current line-up of Wilson speakers. It was at that recent visit that I noticed a stark similarity between the old Valkries and the new Wilson MAXX IIs. When I asked him about it, Brooks just smiled and said he and Wilson spent numerous late nights discussing the design concept and several years later the MAXXs emerged using the same distinct driver enclosures and time aligned angles. Brooks wouldn't take credit for influencing the idea but it is obvious to me precisely where the MAXX had evolved from.

Worf101
02-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Well I see how this works on Craigslist. GNP's were/are gone in less than a day, real bargain I suppose. Someone knew what they were getting. I've a line on some Snell XA 60's though, I offered 500 don't know if he'll bite. I'm happy with my Platinum Audio 3's but figured with the 8-drivers in the Snell's it would make for a nice upgrade.

Da "sorry I missed em" Worfster

Luvin Da Blues
02-06-2009, 05:57 AM
Maybe these might fit your decor better