New Toy! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Toy!

jrhymeammo
02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Due to our horrible Economy, there are some great deals out there.
I probably shouldn't have spent this money, but I just couldn't resist.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/medium/21.JPG

But, I won't be enjoying music to this until I get a Rega arm mounted on my spare SL-1200mk2.

Origin Live amount and VTA adjuster is on their way, but still need an arm.

I've been looking for a used RB-600 on Agon, but it doesn't come around very often.
So, I'm considering to grab a RB250 or 300 w./ CCM mods, Tecno Weight, and Incognito rewire. Guess I got some research to do, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Have Fun,
JRA

JohnMichael
02-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Gee I have an RB250 with the Incognito rewire and Michell Technoweight. Roadtrip to Kentucky tonearm in hand so JRA can try out his new cartridge. Of course I want to stop in Cincinnati to hear the Naim Nait XS. Oh the arm is not for sale just to try. Love the combination. Maybe Indiana Bob would join us. Just thinking out loud.

jrhymeammo
02-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Gee I have an RB250 with the Incognito rewire and Michell Technoweight. Roadtrip to Kentucky tonearm in hand so JRA can try out his new cartridge. Of course I want to stop in Cincinnati to hear the Naim Nait XS. Oh the arm is not for sale just to try. Love the combination. Maybe Indiana Bob would join us. Just thinking out loud.

Naim ay? Audible Elegance? That's where I bought this cartridge from.
I've heard Naim's complete setup with 3.6R there. Great sound, but still had that Maggie twaaang....

So JM, if you were to start over, would you modify a 250 or 300?
Ohio John and Indiana Bob is welcomed to come. Just gotta give me early early headsup first... you know my crazy work schedule.:5:

Jayra

bobsticks
02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm down...of course I have no idea what these strange, analog-scratchin' bits of metal are, but I'm game.

Good times, good times.

JohnMichael
02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Naim ay? Audible Elegance? That's where I bought this cartridge from.
I've heard Naim's complete setup with 3.6R there. Great sound, but still had that Maggie twaaang....

So JM, if you were to start over, would you modify a 250 or 300?
Ohio John and Indiana Bob is welcomed to come. Just gotta give me early early headsup first... you know my crazy work schedule.:5:

Jayra

RB250, RB250 and once again might I say RB250. The 300 uses a spring to set tracking force. Springs can vibrate and stretch while gravity is a little more consistent. One of the bits of advice when you replace a counterweight on a 300 is to turn the dial until the spring has no effect and then set the weight with a good stylus force guage. So I would say RB250. Cheaper and easier to rewire if you choose to do it yourself. The 300 arm needs to be taken out of it's mount to rewire. The Incognito is sweet because it is one continuous length of wire from the cartridge pins to the rca's. The original Rega harness has a solder joint at the cartridge clips as does the Incognito. The Rega has another solder joint where the thinner wires go into the tonearm. From that solder joint a slightly larger wire continues on to the base of the arm for another solder joint. The cables going to the phono input where we have another solder joint at the rca plugs. The low output will travel nicely along that unbroken stretch of wire without the breaks and differences in wire.

Oh and the Techno Weight will really cut down on surface noise and aid in tracking.

Bernd
02-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Congrats Hiro on the new addition.:thumbsup: Is it the V or the W you've got there. I've got the V and really love what it does. Good show. Wish I could join you, Ohio John and Indiana Bob for the cartridge fun. Enjoy and report back. :wink5:

dean_martin
02-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Roadtrip to Kentucky

Can we stop at a couple of the distilleries for some good Kentucky straight bourbon?

.....Please.

I've got a map. http://www.kybourbontrail.com/#map

emesbee
02-05-2009, 08:58 PM
It took me a while before I figured out what the mystery object was, from looking at the picture. 'Nice bit of varnished timber' I thought, maybe its a child's pencil case, but what could that odd looking thing in the middle be? Might it be a scale model of a piece of 19th century machinery? Some sort of pump perhaps? Maybe something steam driven?

Then the penny dropped. Of course, its a cartridge, sitting upside down in a wooden box. (I guess my original guesses weren't too far off the mark, then.)

emaidel
02-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Looking at the wooden block the cartridge is sitting in reminded me of the "glory days" of the industry (late 70's to early 80's). At the time, insofar as cartridges were concerned, packaging was key in selling and marketing them. Stanton and Pickering used jewelry cases; Shure introduced the wooden box with its V/15 Type II and III cartridges, but ultimate went over to plastic; Stanton used a large wooden box for its 681-EEE. The prize for the most remarkable packaging though went to ADC for the way it packed the Astrion cartridge.

The cartridge itself was transparent, and so it was mounted in a large, solid block of lucite, with the word "Astrion" chiseled across the top. That was then placed inside a blue vevet bag with a gold tie, and all of that in a blue, cube-shaped box. The effect was mightily impressive, and an Astrion displayed in a dealer's showcase was a sight to behold. As for the sound, the Astrion was pretty mediocre, but it sure looked great!

basite
02-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Pretty new toy you got there Hiro!!

enjoy it when you can :)

btw, consider the new Rega RB301... new version of the 300, same base as the RB700, and same wiring too (which is lots and lots better than the 300 standard wiring...)

again, congrats dude!

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
02-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Pretty new toy you got there Hiro!!

enjoy it when you can :)

btw, consider the new Rega RB301... new version of the 300, same base as the RB700, and same wiring too (which is lots and lots better than the 300 standard wiring...)

again, congrats dude!

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I am not sure if there are many arm boards for the three point mounting for the new series of Rega arms to use on other tables. I wonder if there are any VTA adjusters for the new three point mounting?

jrhymeammo
02-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Congrats Hiro on the new addition.:thumbsup: Is it the V or the W you've got there. I've got the V and really love what it does. Good show. Wish I could join you, Ohio John and Indiana Bob for the cartridge fun. Enjoy and report back. :wink5:

Thanks B! I guess you still sneak around here. We both need to sneak in here a bit more.
I ended up with the Supreme. Output is very low @ 0.2mV, but my system has enough juice.

Oh by the way, this is a used cartridge so no need to break it in:yesnod:.
If I feel like it, I will compare them to the Shelter, but for now I'm just enjoying some clean wax.

Good seeing you here man.
JRA

jrhymeammo
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Can we stop at a couple of the distilleries for some good Kentucky straight bourbon?

.....Please.

I've got a map. http://www.kybourbontrail.com/#map

Be sure to get all lit'up before showing up. I will be the designated tonearm operator.:14:

jrhymeammo
02-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Or how about pulling a trigger on the Silver mk3?
This arm has received great reviews for years. It'll be interesting to see how it will stack up against my KAB Unit.

Plus,

If I'm gonna go with a tonearm made in UK, now is the time (well 2 weeks ago would've been better..) Since GBP is losing strength over USD, it makes my purchase more ideal.
Well, back to work.

JRA

JohnMichael
02-07-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_53&products_id=1483

Nice looking tonearm. Half Rega, half Origin and it is too bad it does not have a lowered counterweight. The Michell Technoweight improves tracking and reduces surface noise over the standard centered counterweight.

Bernd
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks B! I guess you still sneak around here. We both need to sneak in here a bit more.
I ended up with the Supreme. Output is very low @ 0.2mV, but my system has enough juice.

Oh by the way, this is a used cartridge so no need to break it in:yesnod:.
If I feel like it, I will compare them to the Shelter, but for now I'm just enjoying some clean wax.

Good seeing you here man.
JRA

Hey JRA,

That's the same model as mine, Temper V supreme. A superb MC and nicer sounding than the Shelter. I pop in now and then here, but you know how it is.....Life and all that.
Hope you are hanging in there.
Enjoy that clean wax friend.

jrhymeammo
02-08-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.audiodestination.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_53&products_id=1483

Nice looking tonearm. Half Rega, half Origin and it is too bad it does not have a lowered counterweight. The Michell Technoweight improves tracking and reduces surface noise over the standard centered counterweight.

Thanks for the link, John. I will contact and find out the price outside of UK.

bobsticks
02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
I've seen one of them wooden boxes before...seems like it was in a different context though.

jrhymeammo
02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Bernd,

When you are right, you are right. This thing sounds more natural than my Shelter.
Of course I got compare it with the 501mk2, while you play with the 901. Perhaps the stylus has alot to do with it, but this thing throws completely different sound. Not sure if I can say the Temper Supreme is a warm sounding cartridge, but it certainly makes the Shelter sounds more gritty. But hey, both carts make beautiful music and no sense in analyzing further.

Have Fun,
JRA

jrhymeammo
02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I've seen one of them wooden boxes before...seems like it was in a different context though.

Is that where you keep your Puff the Magical Dragon?

jrhymeammo
02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Mounting the Rega was a breeze, but adjusting the VTA was hell. By cutting out a hole on the bottom much larger than suggested by OL, I can now take out the tonearm out in seconds. Hey, it's almost as good as removable HS!

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/SDC123881.JPG

jrhymeammo
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/SDC123941.JPG

dean_martin
02-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice pics, JRA. Congrats on the Temper. I bet it sings beautifully. Luv the Rega arm on the Technics. I don't think I'll get that bold with my 1210 mk2, but I have a new phono amp on the way (Jolida JD-9A). I moved my system into a larger room and need a little more gain. Should be able to try some lower output carts on the Technics and work my Pro-Ject table w/Ortofon MC-3 Turbo back into the system. I'm looking forward to having both DD and BD tables in action.

jrhymeammo
02-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Nice pics, JRA. Congrats on the Temper. I bet it sings beautifully. Luv the Rega arm on the Technics. I don't think I'll get that bold with my 1210 mk2, but I have a new phono amp on the way (Jolida JD-9A). I moved my system into a larger room and need a little more gain. Should be able to try some lower output carts on the Technics and work my Pro-Ject table w/Ortofon MC-3 Turbo back into the system. I'm looking forward to having both DD and BD tables in action.
n
Congrats on your purchase. I've been really curious about the Jolida to long. I've heard nothing but good stuff. Let us know how they work out in your system, and enjoy that tube magic.