Congress approves digital TV delay [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Congress approves digital TV delay

Smokey
02-04-2009, 05:39 PM
http://mymedia.myfoxgulfcoast.com/media01/00000/68/71/MTY4MTE3_large.jpg

The U.S. switch to digital television signals will be delayed four months until June under legislation that cleared Congress on Wednesday and now goes to President Barack Obama for his signature into law. President Obama has said he will sign into law.

The law will require TV stations to keep broadcasting their analog signals until June 12. The original law that set the Feb. 17 deadline also allowed stations to make the switch early. Some already have -- 143 of the nation’s approximately 1,800 stations have made the transition, and 60 more plan to do it before Feb. 17, according to the FCC.

Broadcasters had opposed the extension, grumbling that it would cost them $22 million to air both analog and digital programs for an extra four more months. So FCC will allow stations to can turn off their analog transmmision before June 12th by seeking federal approval.

Airwaves to be vacated by television broadcasters after the switch were purchased mostly by AT&T Inc and Verizon Communications Inc in an auction that raised about $19 billion for the U.S. government. Both companies agreed to a short one-time delay and their licenses will be extended under the bill.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/autoNews/idUKTRE5136YP20090204

Rich-n-Texas
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
So what's the point of extending the deadline? The public has had YEARS to prepare for the change over. I fail to see any logic in this.

nightflier
02-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I guess Pix's ranting and raving about the cataclysmic lawsuits and the unprecedented loss in profits, was wrong again.

bobsticks
02-04-2009, 06:09 PM
DAMN!!...I was so looking forward to zombies.

Smokey
02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
So what's the point of extending the deadline? The public has had YEARS to prepare for the change over. I fail to see any logic in this.

I really think this legislation stemmed from federal coupon program that went haywire. Since government ran out of money, there are millions on the waiting list to get the coupons. Not to mention 13 million people already holding expired coupons.

pixelthis
02-04-2009, 10:23 PM

Its the GOVERNMENT, of course its a decision that is logic FREE.
THE COMPANIES getting the new freaks were bought off, and the broadcasters
are stuck with the tab, which they will pas along to advertisers, who in turn will pass it along to US.
ALL SO A FEW MILLION CRACKHEADS can zone out in front if their Salvation army
thrift store tv sets another three months.
TYPICAL:1:

pixelthis
02-04-2009, 10:26 PM
I guess Pix's ranting and raving about the cataclysmic lawsuits and the unprecedented loss in profits, was wrong again.

THE NIGHT IS STILL YOUNG.
It will take time to see just how BIG a car wreck this IS.
I have been a libertarian for decades and studied govt and economics for about
that long, you'd think I would learn not to expect anything approaching logic from
Uncle Sugar.:1:

pixelthis
02-04-2009, 10:32 PM
AND why in hades are we even talking about this crap?
This is a home theater forum, WHY are we talking about monophonic SD CRT
crackhead special tv sets anyway.
Since when did watching TV become a constitutional right?
Was that in the "aid to people with no abilities act"?:1:

Invader3k
02-05-2009, 04:53 AM
They already delayed it over two years (remember when it was originally going to happen in 2006?). I don't know how delaying it another few months is really going to accomplish that much. The same people that aren't ready now aren't going to be ready in June. It's going to be a painful transition for some either way...may as well get it done now.

nightflier
02-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Sticks,

Touché.

Woochifer
02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Doesn't matter. I read that more than 25% of the analog TV signals will go dark next week as originally scheduled. The digital TV delay is not a mandate to keep analog signals on the air, but rather a delay in the mandate to cut them off. Stations are free to do the digital transition, and a lot of the independent and public television stations and even some network affiliates will apparently make the conversion. In San Diego, the CBS, NBC, and Fox affiliates will cut off the analog signal as originally scheduled. Apparently, the utility bill to keep an analog transmission on the air is somewhere around $15,000 to $20,000 per month, and those stations going with the original schedule already built the cost savings into their budgets.

nightflier
02-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Well, on my TV, I'm still not getting all the major channels using an OTA antenna. All the other ones are there, but some like Channel 7 and 13 are not. Does that mean that I'm not picking it up or does that mean that they're not switched over yet? What's confusing is that the ones that do come in, do so crystal clear. What's going on?

02audionoob
02-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, on my TV, I'm still not getting all the major channels using an OTA antenna. All the other ones are there, but some like Channel 7 and 13 are not. Does that mean that I'm not picking it up or does that mean that they're not switched over yet? What's confusing is that the ones that do come in, do so crystal clear. What's going on?
I can't get our local ABC affiliate in digital OTA. KERA, Fox, NBC and CBS look great, as do the locals above channel 13.

pixelthis
02-11-2009, 11:05 PM

What it means is that you need to get a sattelite dish.
DTV is either a great pic or nothing at all, like sat or other digital broadcast.
And ALL stations(with a few exceptions) are broadcasting in digital, have been for years per govt mandate.
The term "switchover" is kind of confusing.
What is actually happening is that the analog signal is being switched off,
leaving the DTV signal that is already being broadcast.
Dont want SAT or CABLE? Get a better antenna.:1:

nightflier
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I have one of those half-moon thingies sitting on top of an unused satellite dish. From what I've read that's the best I can hope for with OTA. So does that mean that I'll never get 7 & 13 in digital?

Speaking of the turn-off, I know it won't be a bunch of Zombies roaming the streets, but it sure will be interesting to see who & what does roam the streets after the turn-off.

Woochifer
02-14-2009, 11:22 PM

It just means you're not picking it up. The reception is contingent on where the transmitter is located on Mt. Wilson, and south Orange County is not where the strongest signal gets beamed. I recall that Channel 7 had one of the better VHF signals, but their digital signal might be a different story given that they use an entirely different transmitter on the UHF band. With a digital signal, it's all or nothing so whatever you pull in will be very clear, and what you cannot pull in will be blank.

Woochifer
02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
I have one of those half-moon thingies sitting on top of an unused satellite dish. From what I've read that's the best I can hope for with OTA. So does that mean that I'll never get 7 & 13 in digital?

It means that you'll need to reposition your OTA antenna or use a taller mast and/or better quality aerial antenna.

pixelthis
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Speaking of the turn-off, I know it won't be a bunch of Zombies roaming the streets, but it sure will be interesting to see who & what does roam the streets after the turn-off.

GET one of those arrow shaped UHF antennas and about 12 ft of mast, what you have now is a joke, to put it politely.
AND a mast rotator would be nice.:1:

nightflier
02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
what you have now is a joke, to put it politely.

Anyhow, what do you know what I have in my attic?