Audio Darwin awards of things not to do part II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Darwin awards of things not to do part II

audio amateur
02-02-2009, 05:45 AM
I think I get the crown for this month.
On saturday I recieved my recently purchased Merlin interconnects, and eager to get them going, I proceeded to unplug my DAC and Trends amp and make a little room on my desk where they both are. I then proceeded to hook everything back up, only i plugged in the DACs 24v PS into the Trends amplifer (same input). Needless to say the Trends is rated for 12v input and I managed to fry the Tripath TA2024 power chip inside! :yikes:
At first the blu LED wasn't very bright and then the light dissapeared. It made stange crackling noises too (the speakers did). I then checked the PS ratings and realised what i'd done. I wanted to look inside the amp before turning it on againwith the correct PS. It was easy to see that the chip had taken a hit. I was a little disguted..

In the meantime i've ordered a Cambridge Audio 340a off ebay and things should be rolling again by the end of the week, hopefully.. I've contacted a guy in china who claims to have access to Tripath chips, Iv'ejust ordered a few hoping to have the beloved Trends fixed one day.
That's my story for the month:yesnod:

Ajani
02-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Ohhh... looks like we have a new King....:ciappa:

Seriously though, sorry to hear about the amp... and to be honest, plugging the wrong PS into the amp, seems like the kind of mistake any of us might make...

GMichael
02-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Ouch. Sorry to read this. Glad that help is on the way though. Enjoy the new toy (Cambridge Audio 340a).