Anybody ever heard the Klipsch La Scala? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever heard the Klipsch La Scala?

IBSTORMIN
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I just saw a pair in an Antique Mall? HUGE two piece speakers with a bass module and horn mid/horn tweeter in another module. They are sitting in his booth with other merchandise sitting in the ports on the bass module. I didn't see the bass modules until I got to looking closer at the mid/tweeter horn boxes and noticed the woofer boxes were covered up under them. That's when I saw the price on a little sticker in the midrange horn - $2500 ! ! ! ? Made me want to hook em up and try them out!

Auricauricle
02-01-2009, 10:53 AM
I have heard the LaScalas, which a friend o'mine bought and innerdoosed me to. Big, cisp sound that was in-cre-di-ble! He drove 'em with a nice Denon POA amp, and played Dire Straits' Telegraph Road for the audition. Afterwards I spent a good spell drinkin' beer and stewin' in a pot o' tweeter envy (TE) that slowly resolved when I considered them much too big for my wee apartment and outta my price range. These are theatre-speakers, and produce prodigious amounts of sound with high efficiency (was it 102 db?). In a side note, another friend who couldn't shake his TE bought the Belles, which nearly blew his house up....I bought Heresies, which did fine until the Horn Sound grew somewhat irritating. Now I listen to a pair of Polk Monitor 7c's (go figure).

bfalls
02-02-2009, 10:15 AM
The LaScala is pretty much the mini-me of the Klipschorn, very efficient and dynamic. They also have a commercial version used for public sound reinforcement. The Belles are the same but in a pretier package. I prefer the Belles myself.

Auricauricle, is that a picture of "Zippy the Pinhead" you're using as your avatar? If I remember correctly he's from a 70's vintage comic book.

Auricauricle
02-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Yoooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr'eeeeeeeeee right!

(Are we having fun, yet?)

Faisonmars
02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Who doesn't remeber Zippy! Brings back memories...and how about those Fabulous Freak Brothers! Paul Klipsch was a true pioneer in the loudspeaker revolution and you can't go wrong with the investment but you better have a team of healthy friends to help transport the La Scalas. I personally have 4 Hersery's and have owned one pair since 82 and the others since 99 with no problems, I have used them as playback monitors in my recording studio for years with nothing but accolades from musicians and friends alike. Klipsch speakers are true to sound reproduction in my opinion....for what it's worth.

nightflier
02-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Before they went under, some GG stores actually carried these. I was going to purchase a pair of slightly beat-up ones they had at my local store during their going-out-of-business sale, but missed out on the deal. They were $600 each ($1200 for the pair), and I thought that was a pretty good deal. Connected to a Music Hall integrated (if I remember right), They sounded fantastic too. I didn't like GG very much when they were around (usually too expensive), but now that they're gone I do miss their willingness to carry better-quality gear like the Parasound Halo stuff and of course, Klipsch speakers.

Auric, am I the only one that considers your avatar a tad on the creepy side?

hermanv
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
While the Klipsch LaScala's were big in their day (pun intended) speaker design has moved on.

Modern drivers, crosssovers and design software have probably had more impact on speaker designs in the last 10-15 years than changes in any other audiophile discipline. (ps. I've never been a big fan of horns so my opinion is probably suspect).

Of course horns are almost a requirement if you're into 3.5 Watt single ended triode amplifiers. Otherwise, I think better sound can be had for $2,500 for a used pair of speakers.

Nightflier I guess I agree about Zippy. Still, Clint Eastwood???

nightflier
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Herman, you got an issue with Clint? There aren't many people who can pull off these lines:

Listen, punk. To me you're nothin' but dogsh!t, you understand? And a lot of things can happen to dogsh!t. It can be scraped up with a shovel off the ground. It can dry up and blow away in the wind. Or it can be stepped on and squashed. So take my advice and be careful where the dog sh!ts ya!

or

When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.

Auricauricle
02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Aww right!

Goo' night, ladies and germs!

pscottlowe
09-03-2011, 04:20 AM
i drive my lascalla with a dynaco st-70 with a dynaco pas 3 pre-amp:BIG BOXES LITTLE TUBES...