DAC in a HT set-up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DAC in a HT set-up?

thekid
01-31-2009, 05:23 AM
I am moving things around and was just wondering if there is any reason I can't hook my DAC up to the DVD used for my 5:1 system?

Mr Peabody
01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
No reason at all. You will need two digital outputs though, one to go into the receiver for movies and the other to go to the DAC. You'll want to run the analog out of the DAC into an analog input of your receiver and preferrably use "direct" mode if it don't already bypass the internal processing. I'm assuming you are wanting to just do this for music playback? It would be counter productive to use it for movies as the DAC is only 2 channel and your surround mode would be Pro Logic 2 at best. Stick with the internal DAC for movies so you can get 5.1 or better.

You could get away with just one digital output but you'd have to switch the cable from DAC to DAC depending on what you wanted to listen to, movie or music.

Kevio
01-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Ether bad things or nothing is going to happen if you put a DVD in the player and send Dolby Digital gook to the DAC. For standard CDs it will be fine. Be careful.

thekid
01-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks everyone. I am still thinking about my options. It might be easier to just use it in a separate 2-channel set-up. Lord knows I have got enough gear around here..... :)

emesbee
02-01-2009, 10:12 PM
In all likelihood, the DAC will just ignore any signal that it can't decode, such as Dolby Digital or DTS.

noddin0ff
02-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Ether bad things or nothing is going to happen if you put a DVD in the player and send Dolby Digital gook to the DAC. For standard CDs it will be fine. Be careful.

I doubt that anything bad will happen. DD gook will not be recognized. Lack of sound will happen.

thekid
02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Well I decided to bend my original plan a bit. I have hooked up the DAC/transport to my Kenwood TK-250/Optiomus 5 combo. Not vintage but there really is not any "vintage" CDP's....