Musica para Martes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Musica para Martes

Jim Clark
03-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Or music for Tuesday!

Franz Ferdinand-S/T More like a cross between the Rapture and Hot Hot Heat for me, but I like it a whole lot more than either of those other two.

Hope Sandoval-Bavarian Fruit Bread. Lovely voice and she may do ‘dreamy’ better than anyone. The songs however seem a little, diminutive if that makes any sense. I guess the pace is just a little too slow for me to really get into.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds-The Boatman’s Call. Don’t know how many spins it’s going to take to get into this but I’m fairly sure it’s going to be more than I’m willing to invest in.

Groove Armada-Vertigo. They get a little bit funky wid’it but the block rockin’ beats is what I’m groovin’ to.

Roseanne Cash-Rules Of Travel. Rule #1-don’t take this CD. A couple of decent toons but overall, not for me.

Suzanne Ciani-Neverland. Nevermind.

Also listened to some Low Technicians, which I really, really dig.

Andy Prieboy-Upon My Wicked Son. Been too long without a listen to this gem

Moonbabies-June And Novas

And a bunch of other stuff of varying quality. I see that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are on sale cheap at BB this week so I’m for sure going to grab that. Bet I just love it.

jc

jasn
03-16-2004, 07:31 AM
I've been consumed with my own 1972-3 comps, but have found the time to purchase and listen to:

Franz Ferdinand: I need more time with this - I'm hearing way too much Strokes for my taste.
John Vanderslice: Cellar Door - I like this a lot, and expect to find something in nearly every track

nobody
03-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Picked up a couple new things this week…

<b>Savath y Savalas: Apropa’t</b>
Excellent laid back blend of electronica and latin rythyms from Scott Herren (of Prefuse 73). I may actually prefer this to his Prefuse stuff. It’s sung in Spanish (Catalan at that) by a girl from Barcelona. This one is going to get listened to a lot. Spanish guitar and slow twitchy beats make a nice combination.

<b>Einsturzende Neubauten: Perpetuum Mobile</b>
I don’t know what the deal is with these foreign language releases this week, just noticed that neither record I picked up was in English. If you liked Silence is Sexy, you’ll like this one. If you miss their more chaotic bang crash days, you’ll be disappointed. I’ve grown old and mellowed with these guys, so this direction suits me fine. I actually like this one better than Silence is Sexy. Amazingly accessible for a record that includes instrumentation like Air Compressors, Metal Sheets, Electronically Amplified Springs and a whole variety of stuff. Filled with an ominous sense of tension throughout and still blending in a sliver of industrial noise, I don’t mean to say its easy listening by any means.

Been listening to a few recent favorites lately since grabbing something to burn vinyl as I make CDs for the car…
<b>Notwist: Neon Golden</b>
<b>mum: finally we are no one</b>
<b>Erykah Badu: Worldwide Underground</b> (a great record that could have been an amazing record with a bit of editing)
<b>White Stripes</b> self titled first release (one that I was lukewarm to at first but that just keeps growing on me)
<b>Handsome Family: Twilight</b>

Burned some Minutemen…
<b>Minutemen: What Makes a Man Start Fires, Buzz and Howl Under the Influence of Heat, and 3 Way Tie for Last</b>

Spun some 80s hits for the wife…
<b>Human League, Icicle Works, Nitzer Ebb, Revolting Cocks, Terrence Trent D’arby, New Order, Depeche Mode</b> and others…

Still listening to <b>Dizzee Rascal</b>, which just keeps growing on me.
Listened to a bunch of <b>Hives</b>, a band that I didn’t like after seeing them on TV and thinking the singer did a laughable Mick Jagger impersonation, but that has grown on me as long as I don’t have to watch that.

That’s enough for now…

-Jar-
03-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Or music for Tuesday!

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds-The Boatman’s Call. Don’t know how many spins it’s going to take to get into this but I’m fairly sure it’s going to be more than I’m willing to invest in.

jc

Have you heard HENRY'S DREAM? It's my favorite Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album. It's a nice cross between the manic ("I Had a Dream Joe", "Papa Won't Leave You Henry") and the more beautiful tunes he's known for ("Straight to You","Loom of the Land"). I think it's also his most immediate album. THE GOOD SON is my 2nd favorite. I thought LET LOVE IN was almost too over-the-top. The production bothered me.. very in your face. Cave's voice is very upfont and it detracted from the music. MURDER BALLADS has some great tunes, but well, the whole murder thing gets old by the end of the album. The production is better on that one. I've never spent much time with THE BOATMAN'S CALL, but I did not connect with it all that much. NO MORE SHALL WE PART has some amazing songs, but the God stuff kind of gets on my nerves. The production is beautiful on that one. going back, I'm not extremely familiar with the early Bad Seeds recordings. TENDER PREY is sort of all over the place, but has some of his best songs ("Up Jumped the Devil","The Mercy Seat"). I also have THE FIRSTBORN IS DEAD, but haven't really connected with that one over the years. HENRY'S DREAM remains my favorite.

-jar

Troy
03-16-2004, 07:51 AM
http://www.lostamerica.com/samplestuff/tuesday.jpg

I haven't bought any new music in quite a while and haven't bought anything that really grabbed me in much longer.

Looking at this stack makes me feel that I don't really need to buy anything new. Many of these titles like the Eric Matthews and Radiohead only get better with each listen.

Up to alomost 45 minutes of new music made in GarageBand. It's taking up a lot of my music time. Maximum gratification. Serious fun.

Jim Clark
03-16-2004, 08:01 AM
Have you heard HENRY'S DREAM? -jar

Nope, this was my first exposure to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I'm sure if I go back through my first book of comps I'll find out that this statement isn't true but certainly if there is a song on a comp or two they didn't impress me enough to stick in my memory. Luckily, this is one of those library finds so it didn't cost me anything to be disappointed.

I'm sure if I dug around the used stores I could find some releases with some stuff I like more but at this point I don't think it's going to be a priority for me.
jc

DarrenH
03-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Miles Davis w/Sonny Rollins - Dig
Miles Davis - Black Beauty: Live at Fillmore West
Return To Forever - Light As A Feather
Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller

Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Opeth - Deliverance
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Adagio - Sanctus Ignus
Alice In Chains - Dirt
AC/DC - High Voltage
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
Iron Maiden - Edward The Great: Best of Iron Maiden

Gov't Mule - Deep End vol 1
Clapton - Money and Cigarettes
David Gilmour - s/t
King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Thrak
Kingston Wall - II
Tull - Too Old To Rock Too Young To Die
Tull - Stormwatch

There was more but I can't remember.

That Miles w/Sonny Rollins was recorded in 1951. Pretty darn good. I'm really starting to like Jazz, in all it's styles.

The new Katatonia is heavy as sh!t. Not quite as good as Last Fair Deal imo but still worthy. Deliverance is some damn fine metal music. I just wish the vocals were all clean. I still enjoyed head banging to this however. I can see Blackwater Park in the immediate future.

And Justice For All was the last great Metallica album before Bob Rock stepped in and made them more "radio friendly". I still can't listen to the 'Black' album yet.

Those two AC/DC albums imo are their best. Just kick arse from start to finish. Not a bad song on either one.

Dirt is fantastic. This CD is what got me on the grunge kick back in the day. That and Pearl Jam's Ten.

I don't like Iron Maiden enough to purchase individual releases so this 'Best Of' disc was perfect for me.

Those two Tull discs are the unsung heroes of their catalog. Under-rated. Looking forward to the new remasters coming out on April 6th.

Darren

edit
Reading Troy's list reminded me of one I missed and that was Radiohead's OK Computer. I completely agree with Troy in that this just keeps getting better with every listen. I wasn't to hip on this at first but now I'm completely diggin' it.

Oh, and a couple of Timemasheen comps from Jack70. Vol 13 is a collection of lesser-known UK R&R artists circa 70-75 and is easily one of Jackson's best. I just loved this. I'm gonna order Fuzzy Duck's one and only CD as I found out that it's been re-released by the Italian label Arkana. Laser's Edge has it for $15. Vol 14 is a collection of under-appreciated female vocalists. Not my favorite but some worthwhile music. I liked what Christine Perfect (known as then but now she's Christine McVie) sung but the rest was uninspiring to me. Thanks Jackson for the opportunity.

-Jar-
03-16-2004, 08:14 AM
. I'm sure if I go back through my first book of comps I'll find out that this statement isn't true but certainly if there is a song on a comp or two they didn't impress me enough to stick in my memory. jc

I was filling in some empty pockets in my big master book for comps-received. I think it holds almost 200. And I still have probably 30 or so that aren't in a book, but in a drawer or on a shelf somewhere. I was just thinking, what an amazingly diverse collection of music that is contained in that one book. Blues, Jazz, Prog, Classic Rock, Metal, Nu-Metal, Goth, and just tons of Alternative Rock music. I started a project to put every comp I've gotten, by song/artist into Excel, but I haven't worked on it in months. There's enough music there to keep most people busy for the rest of their lives. Of course, we aren't "most people" :cool:

-jar

Slosh
03-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (DVD-A)
I've never gotten the hype with this band. Not that their music is bad, but rather it's kinda bland IMO. I will say that the surround mix and the production values do draw you in. Anyone who likes this album and has DTS in their home theater set up should buy this disc, whether or not you have a DVD-A player. The DTS track sounds nearly as good as the hi-rez 5.1 track. If you have a stereo-only set up forget it. I read that they only made the stereo mix 16-bit because there wasn't enough room on this disc for a hi-rez stereo track. I don't see myself buying any more PT albums (regardless of format) but I don't regret picking this one up.

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World (DTS DVD)
Wow! This sounds great. Who needs DVD-A or SACD with sonics this good? I also have Phantom Power on DTS DVD and while over all it sounds pretty good, there isn't as much mid-bass as on the CD version (there's plenty of deep bass however). They got the tonal balance right on this one though and I like the music much, much more than Porcupine Tree.

I won't bore y'all with the other stuff I listened to. Just listing the new (ehem) stuff this week.

Dave_G
03-16-2004, 08:34 AM
The cd player in my Honda is not working well these days so my listening has been limited. I did listen to those 3 discs I posted earlier about.

I also tried to listen to that Genesis with Ray Wilson singing but it doesnt play (!)

I did listen to Pendragon - The World

Galahad - Sleepers (I just love this stuff)

Collage - Moonshine - possibly now in my top 10 cd's of all time (wish I had the real thing instead of a cdr)

Citizen Cain - I have 2 of theirs, can't remember the titles, it's great old school sounding Genesisy stuff.

Dave

newtrix1
03-16-2004, 08:55 AM
The memory thing just isn't that reliable, but let's see...

Nirvana: Nevermind
Led Zep: Physical Graffiti
White Stripes: Elephant
David Bowie: Young Americans, Ziggy
Eric Clapton: From the Cradle
Neil Young: Live Rust
Buffalo Springfield: Retrospective

mad rhetorik
03-16-2004, 09:53 AM
Yesterday (metal!):

Dillinger Escape Plan: <b>Calculating Infinity</b>
I bought this last week, and all I have to say is <b>YIKES!</b> Pure aural insanity. Tempos, time signatures, song structures are all o'er the map on this one, but the band is <i>extremely</i> tight. Vocals are almost entirely pure screaming. Surprisingly, I didn't count a single solo from anybody, not that any such feats of self-indulgence are needed--this music is so dauntingly hard to play that solos are redundant. Think Ornette Coleman crossed with The Refused, and rachet up the intensity a few notches. Can't reccommend this to most people, but strangely I like it alot.

Meshuggah: <b>Nothing</b>
Brutal and scary calculus metal that crunches forth like an army of giant robots destroying everything in their path. Killer.

Opeth: <b>Morningrise</b>
After hearing a friend's copies of <b>Still Life</b>, <b>Blackwater Park</b>, and <b>Deliverence</b> last weekend, I'm sticking to my guns that <b>Morningrise</b> is still the best Opeth album (<b>Still Life</b> and <b>Deliverence</b> tie for second, though).

Lacuna Coil: <b>Comalies</b>
Also bought last week. I dig it, symphonic/goth metal from Italy with a female singer. Sort of like Evanescence, without the high suck factor.

Today (hippie rawk!):

Meat Puppets: <b>II</b>
Still my favorite 'Pups album. "Plateau"'s beautiful guitar outro gets me everytime.

Neil Young: <b>Rust Never Sleeps</b>
One of my favorite Neil releases, half-acoustic half-electric (with Crazy Horse). Right now I'm listening to "Welfare Mothers."

Creedence Clearwater Revival: <b>Chronicle Vol. 1</b>
Haven't played this in a while, so I figured that I'd dust it off and give it a good spin.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-16-2004, 10:33 AM
The Who - Quadrophenia
Costello - This Year's Model
The Cure - 17 Seconds...a sentimental favorite, because it was my first
Wire - Behind the Curtain...thanks Stone, I'm enjoying this.
Peter Tosh - Equal Rights
Strummer - Streetcore
Fountains of Wayne - s/t
Mike Garson - The Oxnard Sessions Vol. 2
Ray Brown Trio - Summer Wind...A live set that absolutely kills.
Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Been really enjoying Davey's latest comp (don't have it here and I can't recall the name), especially the first 5 or 6 songs and the final third, affectionately known as "The Brit-Pop" part. I can do without the middle couple of songs, but that's just me. Still undecided on the bonus material.

I've also been re-visiting some older Samplers from Magnet Magazine and something called New Noise Vol. 2 which is an EMI sampler, interesting stuff on these by...

Pinehurst Kids...sound a lot like Sunny Day Real Estate
Lowsunday...sounds REMARKABLY, (maybe even uncomfortably), like Galaxie 500
Alice Texas
Appliance - Nice vocal, nice Spacemen 3 groove
Pawtuckets - Good ol' roots-rock
Starsailor - Someone I should get to know. From the Coldplay, Doves school, with a very Radioheadesque feel.
Nikka Costa
Dilated Peoples - It's Rap, and I like it.
Garrison Starr - does the world really need another Alternative Country-Rock Singer/Songwriter, (that's what allmusic.com calls her)? Probably not, but I like this song.
Moth - add some trumpet and we'd have a Cake song.
Bad Astronaut
Kim Richey
Legends of Rodeo
Division of Laura Lee - Allmusic calls it "Swedish Guitar-Punk" and who am I to argue. I like the song a lot. Chorus sounds like Idlewild...a good thing. I'm going to explore these guys further.
Bill Parker & his Motherscratchers
The Feud - Cool instrumental song, big sounding a la GYBE.

I'll stop now.

Mark

Jim Clark
03-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I've also been re-visiting some older Samplers from Magnet Magazine and something called New Noise Vol. 2 which is an EMI sampler, interesting stuff on these by...

Pinehurst Kids...sound a lot like Sunny Day Real Estate
Lowsunday...sounds REMARKABLY, (maybe even uncomfortably), like Galaxie 500
Alice Texas
Appliance - Nice vocal, nice Spacemen 3 groove
Pawtuckets - Good ol' roots-rock
Starsailor - Someone I should get to know. From the Coldplay, Doves school, with a very Radioheadesque feel.
Nikka Costa
Dilated Peoples - It's Rap, and I like it.
Garrison Starr - does the world really need another Alternative Country-Rock Singer/Songwriter, (that's what allmusic.com calls her)? Probably not, but I like this song.
Moth - add some trumpet and we'd have a Cake song.
Bad Astronaut
Kim Richey
Legends of Rodeo
Division of Laura Lee - Allmusic calls it "Swedish Guitar-Punk" and who am I to argue. I like the song a lot. Chorus sounds like Idlewild...a good thing. I'm going to explore these guys further.
Bill Parker & his Motherscratchers
The Feud - Cool instrumental song, big sounding a la GYBE.

I'll stop now.

Mark

Unleash heck turned me onto Appliance via their Imperial Metric album and I find that I like it quite a bit. I notice AMG gave all of their albums 4 stars and I think I'm going to check them out a bit more.

jc

DPM
03-16-2004, 11:32 PM
Yep. I was playing it a bit loud this week. Then the neighbors came home.

1) Yoke Shire/Masque of Shadows--Oh, where is the next release from these guys. I need a new fix. The music on Masque of Shadows isn't ground breaking, but it is very good seventies based proggy hard rock. This CD--or should I say HDCD--is one of the best recorded in my collection. I'm talking top ten material here.

2) OSI/Office of Strategic Influence--This one just keeps getting better.

3) Devin Townsend/Accelerated Evolution--Very metal music accompanied by the cacophoniac wail of Mr. Townsend. Though Accelerated Evolution was released by Inside Out I don't consider it progressive. It is pretty good, but this is one of those bands where one CD goes a long way. In other words, I don't forsee myself buying another one.

4) Deep Purple/Machine Head (SACD)--Do I really need to say anything here?

5) Echolyn/Mei--I hadn't played this one in quite awhile. But once again, I was reminded why I like this band. Mei is a great release that takes some time to sink in thoroughly.

6) Porcupine Tree/In Absentia (DVD Audio)--A great recording of interesting music given a solid surround mix. How can you go wrong?

iPod tunes played at the gym were...

Stone Temple Pilots compilation
Metal of Ages 1 compilation

Dave M