speakers/room size question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speakers/room size question

agentsteel
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
hi there

I've been wondering about my speakers and weather they are too big for my room. The room size is like 300cm x 280 cm, the walls are not brick and theres lots of echo in the room. The speakers are Canton Ergo 603 8" woofer and are 220 x 400 x 305 mm. I have them on stands and they do look quite big in my room and take up space. The sound is pretty good, its just that I'm wondering if the room is too small for speakers like this and thinking of selling them and getting something smaller for better results?

thanks for any help

02audionoob
01-27-2009, 10:05 PM
How do you have them positioned in the room? What kind of equipment do you have running them?

agentsteel
01-27-2009, 11:10 PM
they are just in a stereo position 20cm away from wall and bout 80 cm apart with the hifi rack in the middle, using Yamaha CDX-397 CD player, Yamaha AX-497 Amp, Chord Cobra 3 IC & QED SilverSpiral speaker cable.

Kevio
01-28-2009, 07:20 AM
In terms of acoustics, I don't know that there is such a thing as too big for a room. Certainly at some size of speaker you won't be able to fit the listener into the room. Certainly you don't need as powerful (large) of a speaker to fill a small room but you can always turn it down a bit and be happy.

On the other end of things, speakers can be too small for a room only if they're not powerful enough to fill the room to the desired listening level at the desired listening position(s).

With proper acoustical treatment, there's really no such thing as too small of a room for nearfield listening (the extreme example here being headphones). Your speakers are actually quite small and would qualify as nearfield monitors. Your room is not exactly a closet either.

Jimmy C
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
hi there

I've been wondering about my speakers and weather they are too big for my room. The room size is like 300cm x 280 cm, the walls are not brick and theres lots of echo in the room. The speakers are Canton Ergo 603 8" woofer and are 220 x 400 x 305 mm. I have them on stands and they do look quite big in my room and take up space. The sound is pretty good, its just that I'm wondering if the room is too small for speakers like this and thinking of selling them and getting something smaller for better results?

thanks for any help

..if at all possible.

The room is pretty small and worst than that, almost square. Do you have room to set them up caddy (or is that "kitty"?) corner?

If that's not doable, I would simply try deadening the room a bit...

02audionoob
01-28-2009, 05:20 PM
..if at all possible.

The room is pretty small and worst than that, almost square. Do you have room to set them up caddy (or is that "kitty"?) corner?

If that's not doable, I would simply try deadening the room a bit...

I was thinking of proposing to set them up in the corners on one wall, angled in 45 degrees...or at least maybe twice as far apart as they are now.

E-Stat
01-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I've been wondering about my speakers and weather they are too big for my room.
Don't think so. On the other hand, if you had these (http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=131598) speakers, perhaps that would be true. :)

The room size is like 300cm x 280 cm, the walls are not brick and theres lots of echo in the room.
Relatively small squarish rooms do present challenges in the bass. The dimensions tend to reinforce the room modes and create a bumpy response. I would experiment with placement and try some toe in. Elevating them is good. As for the slap echo, I would recommend some damping. You might hang a tapestry or build some DIY acoustic panels.

rw