Good deals from AudioAdvisor [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good deals from AudioAdvisor

blackraven
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I just receiver an Audio Advisor catalogue in the mail today and they have some very good deals. Here's a few-

Musical fidelity 550w Supercharger monoblocks for $2500 a pair.

NAD C-272 amp for $499.

Audioquest Blue Racer II IC's for $80pr

Marantz SR4002 AVR for $339

If I was in the market for a new amp, I would jump on those MF Superchargers!

bobsticks
01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Kewl. While at Peabody's fave shop in St. Louis, Music For Pleasure, I picked up a Cambridge Audio DVD89 for a hundred bones. Evidently they're eliminating the Cambridge line in favor of NAD. I figure I'll throw it in the bedroom.

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm trying to pry a Music Hall DAC25.2 outta their hands as we speak. MH had sent them a couple of units for a photo session that they maybe willing to sell. If not, then I'll pick one up, to try out, at the end of Feb.

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2009, 06:29 PM
........ I figure I'll throw it in the bedroom.

Might have a better pic if ya carry it in there.

bobsticks
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Excellent point...:biggrin5:

You're right though, most items will function at a greater efficiency when not lobbed through the air. I tried this with a Kramer Stagemaster DeLuxe American and a common residential window and it certainly proved true.

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
an' the fact that ya don't wanna hit the future Mrs. Sticks in the head. :D

bobsticks
01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
an' the fact that ya don't wanna hit the future Mrs. Sticks in the head. :D

Yeah, if you could never say that again that'd be good...

...and another thread about to go drastically off the wire...

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah, if you could never say that again that'd be good...

:lol: Ya make all of us testosterone laden orangutans proud. Good on ya. :cornut:

...and another thread about to go drastically off the wire...

Yep :nonod:

Luvin Da Blues
01-28-2009, 07:00 AM

Or, you could consider these;

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/navison_knock_out/

Ajani
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
I just receiver an Audio Advisor catalogue in the mail today and they have some very good deals. Here's a few-

Musical fidelity 550w Supercharger monoblocks for $2500 a pair.

NAD C-272 amp for $499.

Audioquest Blue Racer II IC's for $80pr

Marantz SR4002 AVR for $339

Yep those are some excellent close out deals... especially the Superchargers... 50% off those monsters, makes me wish I had $2.5K under my mattress...

Ajani
01-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Or, you could consider these;

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2009/navison_knock_out/

Or you could stay off the drugs.

$30K for a pair of ugly monoblocks? Ummm... no thanx...

Mr Peabody
01-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Navison would something to hear for sure but I don't think in any of our budgets.

Auricauricle
01-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Innit the wood purty, though?

Luvin Da Blues
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
[QUOTE=Ajani]Or you could stay off the drugs.QUOTE]

Uh?? Why?

Ajani
01-28-2009, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=Ajani]Or you could stay off the drugs.QUOTE]

Uh?? Why?

ummm... good question.... ummmm... because drugs are bad... yeah, that's it... bad

Mr Peabody
01-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Mmm, guys, drugs ur bad, Mmmmm k?

Ajani
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM

:thumbsup:

I love South Park

nightflier
01-28-2009, 10:14 AM
LDB, they might be waiting for a higher bid. I've got dibs on that DAC too.

bobsticks
01-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Didn't hurt my record collection though...

Luvin Da Blues
01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
LDB, they might be waiting for a higher bid. I've got dibs on that DAC too.

Damn it NF. LOL

Actually Roy said he sent a couple of units, never know, we both may end up with one. I could wait 'till end of Feb. when they hit the market tho.

Luvin Da Blues
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Didn't hurt my record collection though...

Whad 'bout your recollection??

nightflier
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I just called them after I responded to your post. The sales rep said he would send me whatever he has since I've been in the queue for several days on this one. But if I don't get a demo or open box model, I'll have to settle for a full-priced new one. We'll see what arrives in a few days.

I had been debating between this one and the CA one, but this one had volume control so I put the order in right away. The lack of volume controls was a deal-breaker because I want to go straight to the amps with it.

bobsticks
01-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Whad 'bout your recollection??

Drugs are very bad when making decisions like whether to buy $30k monoblocks...very, very bad.

On the other hand, I'm pretty glad that Jimi, Keith, Trent, Miles, and a host of others had them at their disposal when makin' music.

....just sayin'.

nightflier
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
LDB, did you get your DAC? If so, what did you pay for it?

Luvin Da Blues
02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
LDB, did you get your DAC? If so, what did you pay for it?

Nope, last email from Tim was that they had to let all the sales staff audition it first. He hasn't even provided moi a quote yet.

I'm thinking due to the exchange rate I'll wait till end of Feb. Did you get yours yet? I was hoping that you received yours so I could get your opinion on it.

Anyone have any experience building one from a kit, some of those look interesting.

nightflier
02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Same here. I think they're keeping the display models all to themselves. Well, that can't be all bad.

Mr Peabody
02-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Doesn't anyone else carry them? I think Spearitsound sells Music Hall.

Luvin Da Blues
02-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Doesn't anyone else carry them? I think Spearitsound sells Music Hall.

They won't hit the marketplace 'till end of Feb. You can preorder from Acoustic Sound tho.

nightflier
02-06-2009, 05:29 PM
They're supposed to be featured in the next AA catalog.

Luvin Da Blues
02-06-2009, 05:32 PM
They're supposed to be featured in the next AA catalog.

As an instock item?

nightflier
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Yup. As an in-stock item. I just don't know when that catalog will appear; it may be a few issues away.

Luvin Da Blues
02-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm stoked now, just ordered the MH DAC25.2. It should be here in a week or two so this will give me time to build a couple of XLR cables.

The exchange rate isn't very favorable right now but a guy could grow old(er?) waiting for the oppurtune time, this way I can be enjoying it right away. :0:

nightflier
02-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Darn it, I was just told that my order is being held up. What's going on???

Mr Peabody
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM
They sold yours to LDB to make more money off the exchange rate. :)

Luvin Da Blues
02-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Darn it, I was just told that my order is being held up. What's going on???

I ordered thru MusicDirect and it's going to be a week or so 'till they get stock. I can wait, just thought I would get the order in.

Are you thinking of rollin' different tubes thru it? I thought trying other tubes maybe intriguing but wouldn't know what to start with.

Luvin Da Blues
02-20-2009, 05:42 PM
They sold yours to LDB to make more money off the exchange rate. :)

LOL, maybe NF should ask for a commission.

Mr Peabody
02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
You all did say Music Hall right? I didn't realize that was a tube DAC. The original 25.2 single box wasn't tube, was it? I'm going to have to take a look at this piece. I'd almost bet Shanling had a hand in it.

Luvin Da Blues
02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
It looks like a sweet unit for the price

nightflier
02-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Whoah! I just saw Paul McGowan's YouTube video clips about the new PWT & PWD. Now I'm torn. That PWD sounds like a very cool DAC.

Choices...

Luvin Da Blues
02-21-2009, 02:43 PM
You all did say Music Hall right? I didn't realize that was a tube DAC. The original 25.2 single box wasn't tube, was it? I'm going to have to take a look at this piece. I'd almost bet Shanling had a hand in it.

I don't know anything 'bout tubes but, it apparently it comes with an 6922 Electro-Harmonix tube (gold pin). From what I gather with a quick Google, is that they are a decent sounding tube. Comments?

Mr Peabody
02-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Audio Note uses 6922's in some of their DAC's so I'd say they can sound very good. It seems to be a popular tube.

Feanor
02-22-2009, 03:54 AM
Audio Note uses 6922's in some of their DAC's so I'd say they can sound very good. It seems to be a popular tube.

I use six 6299's in my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp which sounds at least decent. The input and gain tubes are Amperex USA white label 'PQ'; the gain tubes are an earlier run and sound a bit better, I think
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/SonicFrontiersLINE1wRC.jpg
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/AmperexPQ.JPG

Luvin Da Blues
02-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure I'll be happy with the 6922 for awhile but knowing myself the curiosity will get the better of me soon enough. At the very least it will be a fairly inexpensive way to change the sound of my system.

I look forward to learnin' about the mysterious world of tubes from you guys. Thanks

jrhymeammo
02-22-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm sure I'll be happy with the 6922 for awhile but knowing myself the curiosity will get the better of me soon enough. At the very least it will be a fairly inexpensive way to change the sound of my system.

I look forward to learnin' about the mysterious world of tubes from you guys. Thanks

Thanks for the CD LDB!

My experience with exotic NOS tubes is somewhat limited compared to others, but don't just think EH tubes are crap. I believe EH makes one of the finest sounding tubes. You just gotta find what you like. I'm not a big fan of NOS since they seem to roll-off on higher frequency when compared to new EH, Tung-Sol, JJ, & Shuagang. NOS doesn't mean better, just different with higher cost due to low supply. Just make sure they are low on noise.

JRA

Luvin Da Blues
02-22-2009, 11:46 AM
Yer welcome J.

I wasn't necessary thinking of improving the sound per se, just playing with the "tube signature" to find what works best with my system and preferences. Thanks for the tip on NOS glass tho.

Worf101
02-23-2009, 05:25 AM
I've purchased several things from AA over the years, mostly open box or clearence. Never been dissappointed or ripped off. I hope and pray that they and other's survive the downturn.

Da Worfster

Luvin Da Blues
02-23-2009, 06:04 AM
I've purchased several things from AA over the years, mostly open box or clearence. Never been dissappointed or ripped off. I hope and pray that they and other's survive the downturn.

Da Worfster

I'm doing what I can to help with the world economy. :thumbsup:

nightflier
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Any reviews of that Music Hall DAC, anyone?

Luvin Da Blues
02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Any reviews of that Music Hall DAC, anyone?

A little late for me but I sure would of liked to read a review or get feedback from someone B4 I ordered it. I keep searchin' for a review but notta thing.

Oh well, gotta live on the edge sometimes.

nightflier
02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Aaarrrgh... I did it, I cancelled my order and put myself on the waiting list for the PS Audio PWD, instead. It's just too sexy of a DAC. I don't even know what that sucker is going to cost....

Feanor
02-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Aaarrrgh... I did it, I cancelled my order and put myself on the waiting list for the PS Audio PWD, instead. It's just too sexy [of; sic] a DAC. I don't even know what that sucker is going to cost....

'Flier, you high roller you. Do I understand you aren't going for the transport too? As I understand you really need both to get full advantage.

nightflier
02-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I just heard that the pricing (introductory pricing, that is) will be set at $3K per unit. Oh, that's going to hurt big time. So yeah, PWD only for now. I don't even have $3K to spend on it, so either I sell some stuff or change my order back.

Paul's going to get a piece of my mind on this nonsense. It's not like we're in the middle of the the 2006 lala land economy, here.

:mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato:

topspeed
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Man, I don't even know how to set up a music server, but that friggin' video on the PWD sure makes we want to learn how! The thought of having all of my music on a hard drive, with cover art and titles, and then controlling it through my iTouch has got my head spinning!

Tell us how much the PWD is going to be, because that thing is bad a$$.

nightflier
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
So it was confirmed. Introductory pricing on the PWD is $2999.99 and the PWT is also $2999.99. And these could get higher, although I really wonder about the price-point of this new technology - for all it's innovative features, that's still $6K just to play CDs.

topspeed
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
You don't need both, right? Besides, you'll probably replace your preamp and cdp with the PWD, buy a hardrive (or use an old computer lying about) and be done with it.

Mr Peabody
02-24-2009, 05:58 PM
My T+A cost $3k and they have one with the music server features at $4 or $4.5k. To order call Duane at Music For Pleasure 314-961-4757. I can't say for the PSA but the CD Player is incredible. I'd like to see T+A gain some market they have some great sounding gear.

Look at the "Music Player". I have "CD Player" innovative names, ay :)

http://www.taelektroakustik.de/eng/index.htm

nightflier
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
T+A isn't much of a household name and that's unfortunate because they do seem to have some interesting gear. Hmmmm, maybe the name has something to do with it?

By the way, I put myself back on the Music Hall waiting list. I guess I'll have to settle for it, then, LOL.

LDB, you'll probably get yours before I do (since I'm at the bottom of the list now). 'Would love to read what your impressions are. I presume you'll go balanced all around?

Luvin Da Blues
02-25-2009, 03:45 PM
............. I guess I'll have to settle for it, then, LOL.

LDB, you'll probably get yours before I do (since I'm at the bottom of the list now). 'Would love to read what your impressions are. I presume you'll go balanced all around?

Settle? Settle? Humph!!! :lol: This is an upgrade for me and should balance my system pretty well.

The three things that sold me on this was multiple inputs, Tubed and BALANCED so ya I'll connect with XLR (Canare/Nuetriks on order from BJC). They should be shipping to the retailers next week so I'm hoping to see mine a week or so later (I guess I'm the first confirmed order). I'll let you know when it arrives but it's going to take a week or two to really do a proper evaluation .

Cheers

Mr Peabody
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM
It's T "+" A, not T "&" A.

If anyone gets impatient I still have my Audio Note 1.1x I'd sell for close to half retail. I've been enjoying it in my second system but still have my CJ I can fall back on.

nightflier
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
T&A goes together better, doesn't it?

Mr Peabody
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
On one hand the name could use some rethinking for marketing but on the other using T&A to sell T+A could be interesting.

audio amateur
02-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Aaarrrgh... I did it, I cancelled my order and put myself on the waiting list for the PS Audio PWD, instead. It's just too sexy of a DAC. I don't even know what that sucker is going to cost....
Y'all have to much money to spend. Feel free to send some my way:thumbsup:

bfalls
02-26-2009, 06:06 AM
T+A isn't much of a household name and that's unfortunate because they do seem to have some interesting gear. Hmmmm, maybe the name has something to do with it?

By the way, I put myself back on the Music Hall waiting list. I guess I'll have to settle for it, then, LOL.

I have a pair of T+A P-30 3-way speakers. They're a great looking, great sounding speaker. It was always a bit embarassing talking about them, especially to other guys. You can never start the discuusion without a snicker and explaining T+A stands for Theory and Application. They're performing rear-channel duty for my Legacy Focus/Silver Screen front-end. Every so often I'll listen to them in my 2-channel system. T+A has great hardware. They should be better known.

Ajani
02-26-2009, 11:25 AM
I just heard that the pricing (introductory pricing, that is) will be set at $3K per unit. Oh, that's going to hurt big time. So yeah, PWD only for now. I don't even have $3K to spend on it, so either I sell some stuff or change my order back.

Paul's going to get a piece of my mind on this nonsense. It's not like we're in the middle of the the 2006 lala land economy, here.

:mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato: :mad2: :incazzato:

Yep... I've been following the PWD and PWT for months now... but the final price is way too steep IMO... the PWD can be turned into a wireless streaming DAC (like the Slim Devices Transporter) for an additional $500 (wireless bridge)...

So $3.5K to do what the Slim Devices Transporter does for $2K (but with a much cooler user interface and possibly better sound)... or what my Squeezebox & Benchmark combo does for $1.3K...

nightflier
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
On one hand the name could use some rethinking for marketing but on the other using T&A to sell T+A could be interesting.

...Pamela Anderson (or whatever her name is now) is looking for work.

nightflier
02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Yep... I've been following the PWD and PWT for months now... but the final price is way too steep IMO... the PWD can be turned into a wireless streaming DAC (like the Slim Devices Transporter) for an additional $500 (wireless bridge)...

So $3.5K to do what the Slim Devices Transporter does for $2K (but with a much cooler user interface and possibly better sound)... or what my Squeezebox & Benchmark combo does for $1.3K...

Could we convince you to buy the MH DAC from AA, compare it for 30 days and then return it? I'd certainly be interested in reading what your opinions would be.

audio amateur
02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
It's unlikely Ajani doesn't live in the US if I recall correctly.

nightflier
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
yeah, but the Music Hall is small & easy to ship.

Ajani
02-26-2009, 03:51 PM
It's unlikely Ajani doesn't live in the US if I recall correctly.

Yep... that'd be the problem... I'd have to pay for shipping both ways on the MusicHall and import duties (which would be hell to get back from the government when I returned the DAC)...

Luvin Da Blues
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Yep... that'd be the problem... I'd have to pay for shipping both ways on the MusicHall and import duties (which would be hell to get back from the government when I returned the DAC)...

:idea: You should send me your DAC for comparison then. I'll return it, Trust me. :ihih:

nightflier
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
This exchange program doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I do the same with my friends, except there's no shipping involved. It's how I get to play with toys I could never afford. I'm also the poorest of the group, ironically, although this economy has changed the dynamics a bit for some of our high-rollers, LOL.

I haven't had the same luck with my proposed sports car exchange program...hmmmmm....

Luvin Da Blues
03-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Looks like musicdirect has the MH DACs in stock and is shipping soon. Hopefully will see mine later this week or early next.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/84663

Luvin Da Blues
03-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Update, Just talked to Musicdirect and my DAC is going out today.

Never heard of this till today but I had to register my shipping addy with my Credit Card B4 they would ship. Anyone else ever had to do this?

nightflier
03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
LDB, I look forward to your review. So what's with the new avatar?

Luvin Da Blues
03-02-2009, 03:21 PM
LDB, I look forward to your review. So what's with the new avatar?

I'm actually going to try to write a formal review, that should be good for a laugh.

The Avatar is the cover from John Lee Hookers' 1989 "The Healer" album.

nightflier
03-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Yeah I know, but it's still quite a departure from your last two; they were more peaceful, I guess.

Luvin Da Blues
03-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Is..................................

<====== this better NF.

nightflier
03-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Much better Avatar. I liked the SMB also, but this if fine, LOL.

Regarding the DAC, does the volume only control the headphone output or also the rear outputs?

Luvin Da Blues
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Much better Avatar. I liked the SMB also, but this if fine, LOL.

Regarding the DAC, does the volume only control the headphone output or also the rear outputs?

Just for a change of pace, I thought I would swap my Avatar from time to time with album art.

To answer your question, the literature indicates that the volume control is for the headphones only.

"Headphone output with adjustable volume control "

nightflier
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Darn it. That eliminates the possibility of using it as a volume control and eliminating the preamp.

Just got word that mine is shipping today.

Luvin Da Blues
03-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Darn it. That eliminates the possibility of using it as a volume control and eliminating the preamp.

You'll probably get yours before me since mine has to clear customs.

Ajani
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM

You could always return it and get a Benchmark :devil:

Luvin Da Blues
03-03-2009, 05:46 PM
You could always return it and get a Benchmark :devil:

I would be interested in how it stacks up to the Benchmark.

nightflier
03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Ajani, doe the volume on the Benchmark control the rear outputs, or just the headphone output?

Ajani
03-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Ajani, doe the volume on the Benchmark control the rear outputs, or just the headphone output?

It controls both... you can set the rear outputs to either fixed or variable (controlled by the volume knob)...

Luvin Da Blues
03-05-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm sitting here listening to the MH DAC as we speak. And no custom charges. :thumbsup:

Haven't received my XLRs yet so I'll reserve any comments till then.

nightflier
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Well I've spent the better part of the weekend playing around with my MH DAC, and maybe it's just my hearing or impatience, but I'm underwhelmed. My Arcam Black Box (an old standby with lots of convenient features) sounds about the same. Now maybe it's one of those burn-in stories that I need to wait for, but for now, I'm not thinking this DAC is all that impressive, even at the 192KHz setting with balanced outputs.

LDB, any thoughts?

Luvin Da Blues
03-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Well I've spent the better part of the weekend playing around with my MH DAC, and maybe it's just my hearing or impatience, but I'm underwhelmed. My Arcam Black Box (an old standby with lots of convenient features) sounds about the same. Now maybe it's one of those burn-in stories that I need to wait for, but for now, I'm not thinking this DAC is all that impressive, even at the 192KHz setting with balanced outputs.

LDB, any thoughts?

My first impression exactly. Then I ran it for approx. 30 hours straight with a combo of tunes and tones. I still wasn't impressed until I powered it down and warmed it up again.All I can say is it really has come into it's own. I have never heard horns, pianos, acoustic guitars, drums/cymbals,etc. sound better on my rig, even comparing to my TT.

This is with SE cables (my XLRs haven't shown up yet). I hope you have the same results I have. I found the 192KHz puts a little too much edge on things.

nightflier
03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
So you're confirming that burn-in is real, the ongoing controversy of that other thread. Interesting....

I hate burning things in, it seems like such a waste because I "shouldn't" listen to it until it's burned in.... Well I guess I'll let it run for a while. If that doesn't improve things, it's going back and I'll probably spring for the Benchmark.

By the way, what are your thoughts on the headphone amp?

Luvin Da Blues
03-12-2009, 03:24 PM
So you're confirming that burn-in is real, the ongoing controversy of that other thread. Interesting....

I hate burning things in, it seems like such a waste because I "shouldn't" listen to it until it's burned in.... Well I guess I'll let it run for a while. If that doesn't improve things, it's going back and I'll probably spring for the Benchmark.

By the way, what are your thoughts on the headphone amp?

Probably my crappy system but I'm thinking it's just the tube that needed a couple of warm up cycles to "seat". Are you using the USB inputs also? This DAC gives a depth to the music that wasn't there with the old SC as well a nicely reproducing the timbre of acoustical instruments. I've also notice a nice improvement to the lower range, more defined and a bit more slam on the lowest octaves.

I don't listen to cans so I haven't tried that yet.

nightflier
03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
I guess my Arcam Black Box is better than I thought. I used to have an Acurus DAC that was significantly better, but I kept the Adcom because it's got all sorts of inputs, dual outputs (although no XLR), and volume control. Anyhow, I never thought it sounded as full or deep as the better DAC. Now that I have the MH, I'm stumped that it sounds as ordinary as the Arcam. I'll leave it running all weekend, but if it doesn't improve it's going back.

Right now, $600 is a steep price for me to pay for a DAC that doesn't sound much better than something I bought used for $60. I'm also kind of bummed that the volume is only for the headphone output since I really wanted to go straight into my amp via the XLRs. Speaking of the headphone output, it's also just OK - nothing to write home about. And again w/o inputs, it can't be used as a standalone headphone amp for other inputs. I'm almost wishing I would ave gone with the CA DAC instead.

Oh well, we'll see what happens after the weekend.

Luvin Da Blues
03-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Well a few things to consider,

I was running a Phillips SC so I can only compare to that and my TT. The TT has a slight edge in overall presentation but the MH's not far behind.

Could you have a faulty tube?

There might be a synergistic thing going on with my system that your nor achieving with yours? This DAC is compensating for/or enhancing my systems shortfalls/strengths and visa versa.

Your system is more revealing than mine?

Your reference datum is higher than mine?

I'm just an old fart that doesn't have a clue, can't hear and every improvement sounds good?

blackraven
03-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Nightflier, Audio Advisor is running a sale on the PS Audio Dgilink III DAC with I believe $300 off. Its something to consider if you don't like the Music Hall.

Mr Peabody
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I haven't heard the Blackbox but Arcam makes very good digital playback. $60.00 was a steal. I would think there should be a significant difference between the Arcam and MH at least in presentation. Wasn't the Blackbox around when Arcam offered the Alpha line? There has to be some difference. What set up are you using when listening to the two?

nightflier
03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
MrP,

I am using a Tascam CD writer right now. While I also have an Audio Refinement CD player, the Tascam is more detailed and accurate, even if the AR is more pleasant to listen to. I figured that with the tubed DAC, that would be a better match. The Tascam has two digital outputs, so I send one to each DAC. The DACs are then sent to my Threshold preamp. The Threshold isn't my fav, but it is again, more detailed, and detail is what I'm after when I evaluate. From there the preamp goes to the amp via XLR and to the speakers.

I am using RCAs from the DACs to the preamp, but I also tried XLR cables and got the same results (hence the reason I am using all the more detailed equipment rather than the more pleasant equipment to try and figure out what's going on).

Mr Peabody
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Good set up but there should be a big difference in presentation between an Arcam and a tube DAC.

nightflier
03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Good set up but there should be a big difference in presentation between an Arcam and a tube DAC.

...there isn't.

Luvin Da Blues
03-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Hey NF, what exactly is not pleasing to you?

Maybe I'm just having good "luck" with mine. The lowest octave blooms, the cymbals have that little metallic sound, you can hear the sticks slappin the heads,vocals are forward and natural, guitar strings sound like there in my room and the piano has a great percussive sound to it, etc. Detail and depth are excellent. I wonder if they switched to a different production run of 6922 tubes.

Mr Peabody
03-17-2009, 07:11 PM
I wonder if the preamp is some how coloring or EQ'ing the signal some how to where they sound similar. If the Black Box is true to Arcam's character, they should be close to opposite ends from a "classic" tube sound. The Arcam should be faster, thinner bass line, maybe not as three dimensional, better defined images or less diffuse. I guess if the MH is as fast as an Arcam while using tubes it is a pretty good DAC but if being more modern don't reveal more detail, that's not good. What a mystery.

I doubt if it's different tubes, you all both bought very early models and close to the same time.

NF, did you send yours back?

Feanor
03-18-2009, 02:47 AM
...there isn't.

Tubes can make a difference, (as LDB mentions). If the MH uses a Sovtek 6922 (or two?) it sound won't be a good as it could. Electro Harmonics ought to be better according to reputation. There is, of course, burn-in with tubes: believe this even if you don't believe in burn-in for, say, cables.

But I suggest you try some older tubes, NOS or gently used. I managed a significant improvement with my Sonic Frontiers preamp going to these Amperex USA white label 'PQ' tubes. The sound was as detailed as others I tried but a bit warmer and with a remarkable sense of depth
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/AmperexPQ.JPG

But note that these are earlier production. I have some late production, (though I believe genuine), PQs that don't sound as good. They look as follows; note the 'E88CC' on the package and tubes themselves. Note too that the pins aren't gold plated ...
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Amperex-new1.JPG

nightflier
03-18-2009, 04:07 PM
I've received a PM from someone else here who also doesn't care for the DAC, and I've had it running continuously for several days now with no improvement, so I'm thinking this DAC just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've tried it with XLRs and with RCAs, my Threshold preamp, my Plinus preamp, and straight into the amp using a volume attenuator. I have not tried the USB, and the headphones only for a few minutes (nothing special there either).

Now there is a difference from the Arcam Blackbox, but it is only very slight. Actually when I compare my Audio Refinement CDP with it, the latter actually sounds better through its own RCA outs than through the DAC. I can't remember what kind of DAC my CDP has in it, but I've always felt it to be on the warm side, so it should actually sound more similar and it doesn't. I'm going to spend one more weekend tweaking things and if it doesn't improve, then it's going back.

Regarding the tubes, if I'm paying the same as LDB for the damn thing, it should have the same tubes. I'll crack it open and see what it has, but I better not find out that they screwed me on the tubes. I don't have any other tubes I can try (I'm kind of new to tubes), but I shouldn't have to do this 1 week after I own it, either. I know it was only $550, but if that's the pricepoint that the MH engineers determined could make a decent DAC, then they shouldn't be hobbling it for any reason.

I'll feel bad for AA if I decide to send it back (they've always been good to me), but I'm not going to keep something that doesn't make me want to listen to it more than what I already have.

Luvin Da Blues
03-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I have not tried the USB, and the headphones only for a few minutes (nothing special there either). .

Hmmm. Interesting in that I'm basically only using the USB input. Maybe that's where the difference is.

I have read that the headphone section is only mediocre.

Luvin Da Blues
03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Regarding the tubes, if I'm paying the same as LDB for the damn thing, it should have the same tubes.

Actually I probably paid more when you factor in exchange rates, international shipping, duties etc. :prrr:

My point about the tubes was maybe they used a different run of tubes to get the first few units out the door. This happens a lot with smaller manufacturers. Since you bought yours from AA whereas I got mine from Musicdirect maybe MD lot had the different tubes in them or visa versa. Just thinkin' out loud.:aureola:

Auricauricle
03-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Mebbe the tubes need a li'l seasonin'...a little tang on the tungsten! ;)

Mr Peabody
03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
NF, you have any gear you want to trade for an Audio Note DAC, no USB. I'd be interested in a good preamp with remote or a power amp.

I wouldn't open the DAC it may void your return if noticed.

Ajani
03-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I wouldn't open the DAC it may void your return if noticed.

Seconded.... Unless the manual specifically states that you can open the product without voiding the warranty, I'd avoid opening it...

Send it back if you don't like after the weekend... you can always pick up a PS Audio or Benchmark (if you're willing to spend a little more) or a Musical Fidelity or Cambridge Audio (if you want to keep the costs down)...

nightflier
03-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm, that's a thought. Mr.P., I know you told me before, but I can't find the thread. What audio note model was that?

Ajani, the Benchmark seems to be the next in line. It's also a lot more versatile. I was a little disseminated in what I read about the Cambridge DAC as well. Monarchy also has an intriguing DAC and I'm rather impressed with their little 70 amps. On the flip side, maybe it's time to spring for a better CD player. The Cambridge top of the line has what amounts to a built-in DAC. If only it had a volume control - I really like the option of going straight to an amp with the player; with volume and the inputs, it could almost be preamp. Does anyone know if Cambridge is going to follow it up with another player?

Mr Peabody
03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
My Audio Note is the 1.1x. It was not a kit.

nightflier
03-31-2009, 11:37 AM
The Music Hall DAC, after having been on for the better part of the last 2 weeks is sounding better, especially out of the XLR inputs. So I guess burn-in is a factor, and a now noticeable one, too. 'Pologies for borrowing audiophile-speak here, but the DAC presents deeper blacks, greater stage depth, and more air. Now let's not get carried away. Yes, it's noticeable, but only in a direct A/B comparison. In any case, this is something I didn't hear at all before and I'm wondering if it will get much better.

So there's my dilemma: I'm running into my 30-day return time limit. Do I keep the DAC in the hopes that it will improve considerably more or do I return it and get one that better meets my needs. One of the things I'm after is more detail as my gear tends to be on the dark side, and I can't really say this DAC does this, or at least not yet. So what would you do?

My Audio Note is the 1.1x. It was not a kit.

Mr.P, that's certainly a nice DAC, but I really prefer one with more features like XLR and upsampling. Also, I'm not sure you'd want any of my preamps.

Luvin Da Blues
03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
Glad to hear you're getting some improvement. I found that my "percieved" burn in levelled off after 'bout 75 hours or so. I never woulda thought it would take so long, but ya juz never know. I find my DAC to be very involving indeed to a point where I can (and have) wasted a good part of the day just listening to it.

Cheers,

LDB

nightflier
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
So yer keepin 'er?

Mr Peabody
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
NF, in your case send it back. It's probably not going to improve a whole lot more and you still don't seem happy with it.

nightflier
04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
First thing in the morning, with the rest of the UPS pickup.

Sorry, but if it doesn't offer up a real improvement, it's not worth $600. That buys a lot of music and/or movies.