Indigenous Part II [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Indigenous Part II

Hyfi
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Looks like my wish came true. After seeing Indigenous several times, my basic criticism was that his family, the rest of his band, was holding Mato back.

Mato somehow, using collective consciousness off of my brain waves, dumped the family and regrouped. They will be playing the Sellersville in April and below is the writeup:

From South Dakota's Nakota Nation, Indigenous has won a place among roots rock's elite. Featuring the spirited guitar fireworks and warm dusty voice of Mato Nanji, (often compared to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Los Lobos, Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana), the group is now in it's second incarnation. After original members - brother Pte, sister Wanbdi, cousin Horse left to pursue other musical paths, Nanji recruited guitarist Kris Lager, keyboardist Jeremiah Weir, bassist Aaron Wright, and drummer John Fairchild. "What it amounts to," Nanji announces, "is that Indigenous is a brand new band." On their new emotionally charged and musically visceral recording, Broken Lands, the band's second album on Vanguard Records, Nanji makes a transformation from sparkplug to visionary.

Samples on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/indigenousrocks

Finch Platte
01-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Looks like my wish came true. After seeing Indigenous several times, my basic criticism was that his family, the rest of his band, was holding Mato back.

Mato somehow, using collective consciousness off of my brain waves, dumped the family and regrouped. They will be playing the Sellersville in April and below is the writeup:

From South Dakota's Nakota Nation, Indigenous has won a place among roots rock's elite. Featuring the spirited guitar fireworks and warm dusty voice of Mato Nanji, (often compared to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Los Lobos, Jimi Hendrix and Carlos Santana), the group is now in it's second incarnation. After original members - brother Pte, sister Wanbdi, cousin Horse left to pursue other musical paths, Nanji recruited guitarist Kris Lager, keyboardist Jeremiah Weir, bassist Aaron Wright, and drummer John Fairchild. "What it amounts to," Nanji announces, "is that Indigenous is a brand new band." On their new emotionally charged and musically visceral recording, Broken Lands, the band's second album on Vanguard Records, Nanji makes a transformation from sparkplug to visionary.

Samples on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/indigenousrocks

This is good news. Thanks for the info.

fp

Edit: Holy sh!t, he's playing right up the road from me in Feb! Wow...

richmon
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Spot on observations, I've seen them several times and share your thoughts that the family loyalty thing was limiting Mato's boundless talent. Thanks for the info, didn't know about the new band.

They're coming to Harrisburg supporting Buddy Guy this spring. Along with the new Troegs brewpub, I have two reasons to make the drive.

N. Abstentia
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I thought Mato left the family behind 3-4 years ago? Am I in a time warp here?

Hyfi
01-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I thought Mato left the family behind 3-4 years ago? Am I in a time warp here?

I may be the warped one. Just going by the writeup for the show. I stopped paying much attention since I saw them 3 times and got sick of the same 3 bass notes and drum beat in every song.

richmon
01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I have 2006's 'Chasing the Sun' and it sounds like the same ol bass/drums, but apparently that's when the family thing dissolved. Good catch NAbsentia.

From allmusic.com:
Perhaps it was inevitable given the dominating presence of guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Mato Nanji, that Indigenous would someday be a vehicle in all but name for the frontman. That day has arrived with the fifth album under the Indigenous moniker, but first to replace Nanji's brother (percussion) and sister (drums) with studio musicians. Even though, Pte, his bassist brother, is still listed in the credits, his contributions are minimal.

Hyfi
01-29-2009, 05:48 AM
I have 2006's 'Chasing the Sun' and it sounds like the same ol bass/drums, but apparently that's when the family thing dissolved. Good catch NAbsentia.

From allmusic.com:
Perhaps it was inevitable given the dominating presence of guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Mato Nanji, that Indigenous would someday be a vehicle in all but name for the frontman. That day has arrived with the fifth album under the Indigenous moniker, but first to replace Nanji's brother (percussion) and sister (drums) with studio musicians. Even though, Pte, his bassist brother, is still listed in the credits, his contributions are minimal.

Either way, good news all around and maybe a boost for Mato. I still think he should play more than sing.

Swish
01-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Spot on observations, I've seen them several times and share your thoughts that the family loyalty thing was limiting Mato's boundless talent. Thanks for the info, didn't know about the new band.

They're coming to Harrisburg supporting Buddy Guy this spring. Along with the new Troegs brewpub, I have two reasons to make the drive.

I live close to Harrisburg and practically live on Troegs Pale Ale. I did see Buddy Guy about 5 or 6 years ago, but it would be a good show to see.

bobsticks
01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I feel an AR mini-summit coming on....

Hey richmon, if Swish asks you to "touch his trick knee" don't do it.

Swish
01-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Hey richmon, if Swish asks you to "touch his trick knee" don't do it.

No need to tip him off flap-jaws.

bobsticks
01-29-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry. I was jealous over the Neko Case dealio. It was just one of those moments and I'm over it.

Resume thread...

richmon
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
"touch his trick knee"

Wonder what this offer will sound like with a Toegs's induced speech impediment?

Swish - I'm in Bawlmore, a good hour plus from Harrisburg, been to the Wittaker couple times to see Asia and The Musical Box so the drive is a known thing. Don't think tickets are on sale yet, but I'm in for a Troegs pre-show and then concert, always enjoyed the heck outta Indigenous shows, only saw Buddy once long time ago, memories are wispy.

Let's touch base when tickets open up - Just a note -I don't do nick tree's on the first date!

If you're close to B'more ya gotta check out Orion Studio's real small venue, mostly proggy bands, you bring your own chair and quaffs. Thee Maximalists are there sometime in early febuary.

Swish
01-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Wonder what this offer will sound like with a Toegs's induced speech impediment?

Swish - I'm in Bawlmore, a good hour plus from Harrisburg, been to the Wittaker couple times to see Asia and The Musical Box so the drive is a known thing. Don't think tickets are on sale yet, but I'm in for a Troegs pre-show and then concert, always enjoyed the heck outta Indigenous shows, only saw Buddy once long time ago, memories are wispy.

Let's touch base when tickets open up - Just a note -I don't do nick tree's on the first date!

If you're close to B'more ya gotta check out Orion Studio's real small venue, mostly proggy bands, you bring your own chair and quaffs. Thee Maximalists are there sometime in early febuary.

I seriously couldn't remember where you hailed from, so thanks for jogging my memory. I've seen prolly a dozen or more shows at the Whitaker Center (that's the correct spelling) and it's a nice small venue fur shur. I like visiting Fells Point and the Harbor in the summertime, but haven't checked out that place you mention. I'm not into prog at all, so that's probably not my scene.

Lemme know when we get closer to the show (it's April 16th at the Forum, which is close by the Whitaker) and see if we can work it out. That's a Thursday night, but I'm game for that double bill.