How to get sorround sound from my Marantz receiver in TV mode? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How to get sorround sound from my Marantz receiver in TV mode?

standingbear
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I own a Marantz SR6200 Receiver. I also now own a beautiful 54 inch Samsung widescreen TV. When my system was originally set up (with help from my now out of business audio dealer) the TV setting on the receiver was set to stereo (with the analog button on, if I switch to digital I get nothing). That was fine for my old TV and stereo system. I now have full sorround capability (Tannoy speakers that I love), and would love to get full sorround thru the television mode. I can't figure out how to do it. If my receiver is in DVD mode I get sorround, stereo, or mono depending on the DVD. I'm believe this is because it's set to Auto. I've tried to reset my TV setting but I'm not sure how to do it. I was able to get the digital mode up but still get no sound through it and the anlog setting still only gives me stereo. As you can imagine this drives me nuts as I would like to use On Demand for my movie viewing and have full sound for sports. I am using Comcasts basic Motorola DCT6412 DVR/HDTV dual tuner. Could someone please help me?

Duds
01-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I assume you ran a digital cable from the Motorola to your receiver? if yes, you need to go into the menu on the receiver and change your tv setting to that digital input on your receiver.

i just had the same issue a few weeks ago when i got my new Pioneer tv. Really had ntohing to do with the tv, but i was running analog cables from my cable box to my tv. I decided to run a digital cabel instead, so i had to change the tv input to that digital input on the back of the receiver.

hope i didnt confuse you even more

emesbee
01-27-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a Marantz SR6200 receiver too. I'm assuming, too, that you have connected a cable (either coax or optical) from the Motorola tuner to the receiver. It may be that you need to go into the menus on the receiver and reassign the digital input that you have used to the appropriate input.

For example, on mine I used the CD input to connect a digital tuner (because it was spare), connected a coax cable then reassigned the digital input to CD on the receiver. Works fine. You will only get surround sound if that's what is being broadcast, of course, but at the very least you should get stereo.

I can't remember if the SR6200 allows a digital input to be assigned to the TV input though. Will have to check later.

pixelthis
01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Another thing you will have to do is go into the audio menu of the Motorola
and change the audio out to ADVANCED.
If you dont you will only get crappy TV quality sound from the box
ALSO you need to power off your motorola, hit MENU.
A screen will display that will give you options like 16:9 versus 4:3,
what output res your box needs to be (480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i)
The monkey that set up your box probably set it up in a very basic fashion.
ITS UP TO YOU to set it so you get the goodies you are paying for.
When my friend(yes I actually have one) got a new Samsung I helped him set it up,
and checked his DIRECT TV as a matter of course.
His sat box was set to the most basic audio!!!
I set it to DD, and his jaw dropped when he heard the results.
This is NOT uncommon.:1: