Sony 3.2 Billion Below Projections [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony 3.2 Billion Below Projections

pixelthis
01-26-2009, 01:51 PM
That is billion with a "B".
They had a projected profit of roughly 1.6 bill, and wound up with a loss of around that much.
Thats about 3.3 billion under projected earnings.
In other trainwreak news Phillips laid off 6,000 people.
Any way I can bail outta this rollercoaster before it gets to HELL:1:

nightflier
01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
I owned Sony stock, once, a long time ago. Glad I don't now. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't own their stock based on principle.

pixelthis
01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I owned Sony stock, once, a long time ago. Glad I don't now. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't own their stock based on principle.

aT THE RISK OF OPENING PANDORAS box...
WHAT principle?:1:

nightflier
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Corporate practices - proprietary technologies, taking over competitors and then firing most of the employees, extreme DRM measures on music, dropping SACD, frivolous lawsuits to cow smaller players in "their" markets. Obviously some of those have less of an impact on their bottom line than mine, but I'm just sick of the shenanigans. Even when they come out with something decent, they find a way to clip it's wings in mid-flight - like what they did with the new PS3s. Unlike some companies, they put too much emphasis on the bottom dollar at the expense of innovation, creativity, and the fun-factor of CE products. Compare that to Apple, for example.

Anyhow, there's your can of worms. Going fishing?

Feanor
01-28-2009, 09:54 AM
... Unlike some companies, they put too much emphasis on the bottom dollar at the expense of innovation, creativity, and the fun-factor of CE products. Compare that to Apple, for example.

Large, especially conglomerate, corporations these days all fit in the Sony category. That's because these corporations have have only ONE objective which is to maximized shareholder profit in the short or, at best, medium, term. In many cases we might add, maximized shareholder profit after executives have looted as much as they can.

nightflier
01-28-2009, 10:27 AM
All the more reason to stay away from CE products from large, publicly-traded companies. Isn't that what the whole back-to-basics, buy-local, buy-smaller mantra is all about? I'll even dare say, that I'd pay a premium, maybe even a significant premium, if it meant better quality, more personalized customer-service, and longevity on a product.

Or is this going to bring about the end of capitalism as we know it?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Corporate practices - proprietary technologies, taking over competitors and then firing most of the employees, extreme DRM measures on music, dropping SACD, frivolous lawsuits to cow smaller players in "their" markets. Obviously some of those have less of an impact on their bottom line than mine, but I'm just sick of the shenanigans. Even when they come out with something decent, they find a way to clip it's wings in mid-flight - like what they did with the new PS3s. Unlike some companies, they put too much emphasis on the bottom dollar at the expense of innovation, creativity, and the fun-factor of CE products. Compare that to Apple, for example.

Same old BS from the king of BS. Another slam at a CE company in favor of pitching a computer company. If you are sick of Sony, don't buy their stuff. But sitting here crapping in your draws about what a devil they are is not going to accomplish anything. Sony didn't drop support of SACD, the major record companies did. And just how did they clip the PS3 wings? It still plays games and bluray's doesn't it?

Apple crap is over priced, and only performs marginally better than a PC on some tasks. So what? Sony is not the only record company using DRM, so why the pin point focus on them? Oh and I suppose that there is nothing about Apple that is proprietary right?

You are one predictable individual nightliar, to the point of boredom.

pixelthis
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM

SONY DROPPED SACD?
And dont get me started on APPLE.
SO, what is an enthusiast supposed to do?
Dig out the soldering gun and "roll" your own?:1:

nightflier
01-29-2009, 11:14 AM
lil't,

So what the hell crawled up your a$$ and died there, today? Go sh1t on someone else's parade will you. I only mentioned Apple as an example of a company that creates well designed, researched and good looking products, sometimes at the expense of the bottom line. The fact that Apple is a computer company had nothing to do with and I was referring mostly to their CE product line, anyhow. Anyhow, who invited your sour-puss opinion in here? I'm pretty sure the OP didn't. Or are you stalking me again? Get a life!

Pix,

Sony's newer PS3s don't have the same capabilities as the earlier generation player. Why hobble a successful product? Who's the marketing nimrod who thought that one up? And regarding SACD, they sure as hell didn't do much to help the format; and once it was clear they weren't going to make billions off the new format, they pulled the plug and let the smaller guys do their best to keep it afloat. All the other critiques I mentioned don't need further explanation, I believe.

01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
lil't,

So what the hell crawled up your a$$ and died there, today? Go sh1t on someone else's parade will you. I only mentioned Apple as an example of a company that creates well designed, researched and good looking products, sometimes at the expense of the bottom line. The fact that Apple is a computer company had nothing to do with and I was referring mostly to their CE product line, anyhow. Anyhow, who invited your sour-puss opinion in here? I'm pretty sure the OP didn't. Or are you stalking me again? Get a life!

Nightb!tch
I remember you said once that anyone can post anywhere they want, and can reply to anyone's post they want to. So that is what I did no nutz, so stop sh!tting in your pampers and get over it. Stalking you, only if I wanted to be a dumb idiot like you. Otherwise not worth my time or energy, I know a plenty how much you know about anything. That would be nothing

Pix,

Sony's newer PS3s don't have the same capabilities as the earlier generation player. Why hobble a successful product? Who's the marketing nimrod who thought that one up? And regarding SACD, they sure as hell didn't do much to help the format; and once it was clear they weren't going to make billions off the new format, they pulled the plug and let the smaller guys do their best to keep it afloat. All the other critiques I mentioned don't need further explanation, I believe.

This is what thinking in a vacuum with no brains gets you. First, the PS3 in its early stages was not doing all that well, as it was said it was too expensive. Sony HAD to trim the cost (and therefore their losses) on the machine, and so they carefully looked at what was not really needed. By eleminating the SACD component of the machine, it did not cripple it at all. They addressed the fact that SACD was not well supported in the first place, and that the Bluray spec already allows for high resolution audio that was equal or better than SACD (support for 8 channels as opposed to 6), getting rid of SACD was a natural decision to make. The audio world is 96% PCM, and that ain't changing, so supporting SACD is a waste of resources and therefore an uneeded expense on the machine. The PS3 still plays games and blurays, so it is NOT crippled at all, its a product that was taken back to it core supporters, and since they did this, the PS3 has been selling very well, at a cheaper price. I would say this is a mission accomplished for them.

If you do not know how to analyze a situation and respond to it, you are in deep crap in the business world. But of course you have never been all that astute in the business side of things anyway Mr. Bluray player in the sea :rolleyes5: All it takes is critical thinking nightpuss, something that you fall short on time and time again Mr. download is going to over take Bluray :rolleyes5:

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 12:57 PM
And so, the battle resumes...

(not that there's anything wrong with that)

nightflier
01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
lil't, you're just making my point. The new PS3s are another example of how Sony won't stand behind it's own products, in this case SACD.

Ironic how that works out, isn't it?

Dimwit!

01-29-2009, 03:36 PM
lil't, you're just making my point. The new PS3s are another example of how Sony won't stand behind it's own products, in this case SACD.

Ironic how that works out, isn't it?

Dimwit!

Wow, you are even more stupid than stupid. Can you tell me why in the hell I would add another $60 bucks to the price of my player for a technology that NO record company wants to support? I know you don't have a brain, so can you use the air between your ears? SACD was not dropped or unsupported by Sony, get you facts straight nightidiot. It was the record companies that didn't support SACD, because quite frankly the world is PCM and not DSD. Sony developed post production tools for it, supported all the processors it sold, and continue to do so to this day. So if you don't think they stood behind their product, then you are quite a bit less smart than the stupid I think you already are.

The bluray spec makes considerations for 8 channels of 24bit audio up to a 192khz sample rate. That performance EXCEEDS what SACD can do, and it is compatible with the equipment in 96% of the studio's all over the world. SACD has been supplanted by another better technology, so why add the cost to the PS3 by supporting something that has already been supplanted by a better technology? Wait, don't answer that, it would be like watching dumb and dumber all over again, and I just cannot bare anymore of your short sighted non thinking responses.

We have Dts-HD MA lossless, Dolby TrueHD, AND PCM, all of which outperform SACD, and all supported by the PS3. So just how crippled does that make the PS3? Oh wait, don't answer that either:rolleyes5: You know nightsh!t, you were never that bright from the beginning, but it appears you are getting worse by the minute.

nightflier
01-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Nonetheless, they still dropped SACD from the PS3. You pointing that out just supports my original statement.

You're such a nimrod, you can't handle the fact that you got caught with your thumb up your a$$, again!

And as for the other formats, they are all for video (with just a couple of exceptions). It's a different market, but you just can't get that through your big, dumb, bald head. SACD is purely an audio format for people who want to enjoy high quality music and don't want to be bothered with fiddling through a menu on a TV screen.

How many times do I have to flush before you go away, lil't? You're stinking up the place!

bobsticks
01-29-2009, 04:23 PM
It might be a little disingenuous to imply that 99.999% of the target market for the PS3 really gives a damn about SACD...they prolly do, however, care about the sixty bucks as they're, y'know, seventeen years old.

Fortunately, for those of us that did and do care about SACD there was a model available for purchase. I love mine.

01-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Nonetheless, they still dropped SACD from the PS3. You pointing that out just supports my original statement.

You know what, I forgot you major in minors. You do not have the capacity to do any better than that. My bad. ....

You're such a nimrod, you can't handle the fact that you got caught with your thumb up your a$$, again!

The master of irrelevancy. You make stupid statements, and hope is scores you points....typical of the basement computer geek type.

And as for the other formats, they are all for video (with just a couple of exceptions). It's a different market, but you just can't get that through your big, dumb, bald head. SACD is purely an audio format for people who want to enjoy high quality music and don't want to be bothered with fiddling through a menu on a TV screen.

Sorry you are wrong again nightpuss. I review ALL audio discs titles, video and non video for bluray.com, and I have done several (6 now) reviews where a small euro record company alone has produced non video, high quality classical and synthisized music releases with a 24/192 khz Dts-HD MA 7.1 track, a Dolby TrueHD at 24/192khz 7.1, a DSD at 5.1, a PCM at 7.1, a DXD at 7.1, also a Dolby Digital 5.1 at 640kbps, and Dts 5.1 core at 1.5mbps, and lastly a two channel a 24/96khz and a 24/48khz stereo tracks all on one disc, with no video whatsoever. Pioneer is also coming out with non video Bluray 3.0 spec music only with no video titles in less three months. So this goes to shows how absolutely stupid, behind the times, uneducated, and plain ignorant you are of what is going on bluray format.

How many times do I have to flush before you go away, lil't? You're stinking up the place!

Did it ever occur to you that you are smelling yourself? Or maybe are you just used to it?

01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
It might be a little disingenuous to imply that 99.999% of the target market for the PS3 really gives a damn about SACD...they prolly do, however, care about the sixty bucks as they're, y'know, seventeen years old.

Fortunately, for those of us that did and do care about SACD there was a model available for purchase. I love mine.

The voice of common sense, critical thinking, and reason. As a matter of fact when you look at DVD players, there are alot of models available for that, and by the way...thanks to Sony. So much for their lack of support:out:

Think about if from Sony's perspective. Do I sell more machines (because that is what it is) that do not include SACD to the movie and gamer lovers, or do I worry about the shrinking market that calls themselves SACD fans. As a guy that looks at this in 3D, the answer is obvious. For nightfoo, he would rather loose money than turn his business back to its core fans.

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
T, ya know what's gonna happen next right? Pix is gonna come along and call you an employee and shill for Sony again. You know that right? :lol:

bobsticks
01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
T, ya know what's gonna happen next right? Pix is gonna come along and call you an employee and shill for Sony again. You know that right? :lol:

ROTFLMAO!! Greenies for you...< snort >

pixelthis
01-29-2009, 11:09 PM

The truth is the truth.
LIKE CLOCKWORK, Sonys pit cocker spaniel on this board jumps to their
defense.
But he doesnt work for em, no siree!!.
But broken clock talky is right a couple of times a day, and hes right about DSD
unfortunatly.
When I unplugged my SACD to make way for my Blu in a more permanant
install, I KNEW I was probably saying bye to the elegant and great sounding format
SACD.
Like DLP there is just no place in the world for it.
If it were more established maybe...but talky is right about BLU blowing it away.
EVERY bit of music (some 48k, some 96, etc) just blows away SACD and everything else
just about, I just wish there was an audio only format.
One problem SACD always had with the cognicenti was the way it had inherent
noise, which it pushed up into the inaudible spectrum, this bothered people.
BUT thats all moot, the chances of SACD making it are about the same as PLASMA..
slim and zero.
So as much as I hate to agree with talky on anything I pretty much have to this time,
even tho I am going to need a 24hr shower to even begin to feel clean again.
But I am sure he'll do something totally idiotic that will justify a good toss with a rotten tomato, just like rivers flowing into the sea.:1:

nightflier
01-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Sorry you are wrong again nightpuss. I review ALL audio discs titles, video and non video for bluray.com, and I have done several (6 now) reviews where a small euro record company alone has produced non video, high quality classical and synthisized music releases with a 24/192 khz Dts-HD MA 7.1 track, a Dolby TrueHD at 24/192khz 7.1, a DSD at 5.1, a PCM at 7.1, a DXD at 7.1, also a Dolby Digital 5.1 at 640kbps, and Dts 5.1 core at 1.5mbps, and lastly a two channel a 24/96khz and a 24/48khz stereo tracks all on one disc, with no video whatsoever. Pioneer is also coming out with non video Bluray 3.0 spec music only with no video titles in less three months. So this goes to shows how absolutely stupid, behind the times, uneducated, and plain ignorant you are of what is going on bluray format.

You really can't read, can you lil't? Are you just too short to see the screen? I said "with exceptions" because I knew you'd try to split hairs about this too. And you don't have to get all preachy-teacher about it either, we all know by now about the paltry few music-only disks out there, so stop wasting everybody's time. But really, what infinitesmally small percentage of the BR market does this music-only format represent? Probably so small that even your mosquito-piddle-sized piss-ant a$$ can barely see it.

Oh, and just for the record, you can whine all you want, you still made my point about PS3. Stop crying over it and move on, will you. As a matter of fact, get the hell out of here before Pix starts up on ya. Oops, too late.

01-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Looks like you nailed that one huh :3:

01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
You really can't read, can you lil't? Are you just too short to see the screen? I said "with exceptions" because I knew you'd try to split hairs about this too. And you don't have to get all preachy-teacher about it either, we all know by now about the paltry few music-only disks out there, so stop wasting everybody's time. But really, what infinitesmally small percentage of the BR market does this music-only format represent? Probably so small that even your mosquito-piddle-sized piss-ant a$$ can barely see it.

With you, splitting hairs is necessary. You tend to gloss over important detail in an feeble effort to advance you uneducated and shortsighted opinions. The statement Sony "crippled" the PS3 is at best inflammatory, and at worst completely stupid (but par for the course with you). And this is how idiotic this statement is. You are going to critisize Sony for the exclusion of SACD in the PS3 as if there was a BIG market for that, and then turn around a belittle the support of bluray music as small and insignificant. This is typical of the twisted schetzophrenic way you analyze things. The size of the market for bluray music is growing rapidly, much like the support of the format itself even in a recession, something you said was going to derail bluray support.(wrong again!!!) The demand for SACD is far less than the demand for bluray music. While SACD is selling in the thousands, Surround Music informed me that their last released title sold over 25,000 copies WW in less than three weeks time. So there is obviously more demand for bluray music than there currently is for SACD, and that is why there is no SACD support in the PS3.

Oh, and just for the record, you can whine all you want, you still made my point about PS3. Stop crying over it and move on, will you. As a matter of fact, get the hell out of here before Pix starts up on ya. Oops, too late.

The only point you made is that you are still nightLIAR, because I didn't make your point, and neither did you. The PS3 is NOT crippled, and never has been. It plays PS3 games, bluray movies, streams, and the only thing it doesn't do that it used to do, was play SACD's. SACD support was an addition after the machine was sold, and was never apart of the machine when sold, so excluding an OPTION offered to the machine is not crippling it. You don't cripple something by removing an option nightstupid!

nightflier
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Oh quit whining and beating that dead horse. You know you got the short end of the argument again. Look, you stepped it in, now go and wipe it off somewhere else - as I said you're stinking up the place.

And don't go spouting off more FUD. The music you're talking about is with video. The music-only BR market is a fraction of a percent of the SACD market. Are you really so desperate for greenies that you'll try to pass off that distortion of the facts too. You are so pathetic, it's sad.

And I was going to suggest that you probably have some vested interest in defending Sony, too, but you'll probably spend another three pages defending yourself and wasting everybody's time, so just forget I even mentioned it. lil't, don't you have anything better to do than being that one mosquito that just won't get caught in the bug zapper? We can't quite swat you, but dammit, we can still hear your incessant buzzing....

pixelthis
01-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh quit whining and beating that dead horse. You know you got the short end of the argument again. Look, you stepped it in, now go and wipe it off somewhere else - as I said you're stinking up the place.

And don't go spouting off more FUD. The music you're talking about is with video. The music-only BR market is a fraction of a percent of the SACD market. Are you really so desperate for greenies that you'll try to pass off that distortion of the facts too. You are so pathetic, it's sad.

And I was going to suggest that you probably have some vested interest in defending Sony, too, but you'll probably spend another three pages defending yourself and wasting everybody's time, so just forget I even mentioned it. lil't, don't you have anything better to do than being that one mosquito that just won't get caught in the bug zapper? We can't quite swat you, but dammit, we can still hear your incessant buzzing....

FIND his schedule at the local JR high and go slap his face.
What are they teaching kids these days?:1:

01-30-2009, 03:30 PM

The same old stupid sh!t. Trying to make it seem as if you proved your point without actually doing so. The only place you won is in your empty fat head. You still haven't proved how Sony "crippled" the PS3. Prove your point, and until you do your words are just empty as hell.

Wrong again idiot. That music contained NO VIDEO, I reviewed it and I should know. Do you know what title I am talking about, or is this just verbalrectumbile? I don't gave a rats ass about greenie stupid little boy. SACD, what market? SACD titles are not selling well anywhere. They are not even selling 10,000 disc per title releases anymore. That market has eroded almost completely away, while bluray music NON VIDEO is routinely outselling SACD(especially in the last several months) title per title released. Can you prove I am distorting the facts, or is this just more of your stupid little words. Remember, I have NDP, what do you have a pamper?

Prove that I have a vested interest in defending Sony. I am interested in the truth, something you have a problem telling. One thing I have learned in dealing with you, no need to defend myself at all. I just call out your stupidity whenever I see it.

You post continue to be the epitome of stupidity.

nightflier
01-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Fine, lil't I'll let you play in the sandbox (if you can climb that high). Pray, enlighten us, oh self-centered one, how many music-only BR disks have sold this year compared to SACD disks? Since you have your vaulted NDP, this should be pretty easy to pull up.

pixelthis
02-01-2009, 08:51 PM
The same old stupid sh!t. Trying to make it seem as if you proved your point without actually doing so. The only place you won is in your empty fat head. You still haven't proved how Sony "crippled" the PS3. Prove your point, and until you do your words are just empty as hell.

Wrong again idiot. That music contained NO VIDEO, I reviewed it and I should know. Do you know what title I am talking about, or is this just verbalrectumbile? I don't gave a rats ass about greenie stupid little boy. SACD, what market? SACD titles are not selling well anywhere. They are not even selling 10,000 disc per title releases anymore. That market has eroded almost completely away, while bluray music NON VIDEO is routinely outselling SACD(especially in the last several months) title per title released. Can you prove I am distorting the facts, or is this just more of your stupid little words. Remember, I have NDP, what do you have a pamper?

Prove that I have a vested interest in defending Sony. I am interested in the truth, something you have a problem telling. One thing I have learned in dealing with you, no need to defend myself at all. I just call out your stupidity whenever I see it.

You post continue to be the epitome of stupidity.

WHO ARE YOU KIDDING?
You have your head so far up Sonys corp ASS that you can see their tonsils.:1:

02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Fine, lil't I'll let you play in the sandbox (if you can climb that high). Pray, enlighten us, oh self-centered one, how many music-only BR disks have sold this year compared to SACD disks? Since you have your vaulted NDP, this should be pretty easy to pull up.

When title sales of SACD fell below 5,000 disc sold, the RIAA stop releasing exact figures. SACD was averaging anywhere from 15-20 new releases per month in 2007, some selling close to 10,000, and other selling less than a thousand disc. In 2008 new releases dropped to about 5-10 titles per month with not one release is coming from a major record company, its all boutique and smaller record companies. Currently there are only four european record companies releasing audio only bluray disc. I am in direct contact with each of them as I am the reviewer of their bluray audio releases. When you tally up the combined sales of all of them with the 17 new releases they have on the market, they are averaging about 10-15,000 disc sold per title and still selling well.. The RIAA stop listing exact figures of SACD sales last September which means SACD has been in a long sales decline for years now. There have been exactly 7 new titles announced, or released in 2009, while there is over forty either released or already announced bluray disc titles. Universal, Sony BMG, and Warner are schedule to release bluray only audio titles this year, they are not releasing anything in SACD. It is clear Mr. Knownothing that SACD is through as a release format, and support is definately building behind bluray audio only disc (profile 3.0). Either you move with the flow, or you stupid ass will be drowned by it.

02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
WHO ARE YOU KIDDING?
You have your head so far up Sonys corp ASS that you can see their tonsils.:1:

While you are licking Vizio's nutts

GMichael
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Spew............... chunks..........

Groundbeef
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
There have been exactly 7 new titles announced, or released in 2009, while there is over forty either released or already announced bluray disc titles. Universal, Sony BMG, and Warner are schedule to release bluray only audio titles this year, they are not releasing anything in SACD. It is clear Mr. Knownothing that SACD is through as a release format, and support is definately building behind bluray audio only disc (profile 3.0). Either you move with the flow, or you stupid ass will be drowned by it.

Sir T,

What would be the advantage of BR audio discs? Aside from the size of storage, what would a consumer gain by using BR audio?

I imagine that demand is rather limited to audio purists? Is there any mass-market appeal to such a beast?

pixelthis
02-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Sir T,

What would be the advantage of BR audio discs? Aside from the size of storage, what would a consumer gain by using BR audio?

I imagine that demand is rather limited to audio purists? Is there any mass-market appeal to such a beast?

a blu disc would have a lot of space for "extras".
Also for lossless high res audio with a high "sampling" rate, probably 192khz
(CD is 44.5)
The audio dedicated BLU discs (DAVE matthews, CELINE dion, CRIS BODI, ETC)
sound nothing short of amazing, and thats at a 96kz sampling rate.
And Blu would enable multiple channels at high sampling rates, if you are into that.
As for mass market appeal, no there would be no appeal, or not much, teh great unwashed are too busy downloading cheap MP3.
But for those of us that care there would be a market, and a built in base of buyers
who already own BLU players.
Although DVD-A being playable on DVD players (at standard res) didnt help.
What is VITAL is that any future Blu audio format be playable on a standard
Blu player.
REQUIRING a "special" player in order to sell players is what killed DVD-A:1:

nightflier
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
When title sales of SACD fell below 5,000 disc sold, the RIAA stop releasing exact figures. SACD was averaging anywhere from 15-20 new releases per month in 2007, some selling close to 10,000, and other selling less than a thousand disc. In 2008 new releases dropped to about 5-10 titles per month with not one release is coming from a major record company, its all boutique and smaller record companies. Currently there are only four european record companies releasing audio only bluray disc. I am in direct contact with each of them as I am the reviewer of their bluray audio releases. When you tally up the combined sales of all of them with the 17 new releases they have on the market, they are averaging about 10-15,000 disc sold per title and still selling well.. The RIAA stop listing exact figures of SACD sales last September which means SACD has been in a long sales decline for years now. There have been exactly 7 new titles announced, or released in 2009, while there is over forty either released or already announced bluray disc titles. Universal, Sony BMG, and Warner are schedule to release bluray only audio titles this year, they are not releasing anything in SACD.

So which is it? Are you saying that there are more BR music-only titles per month than all the SACD titles in the world combined? For what month is that the case? And why are you bringing Universal, Sony & Warner into the mix? I thought you were talking about 4 tiny Euro companies? Wayyyy too much FUD. Get to the point, will you?

It is clear Mr. Knownothing that SACD is through as a release format, and support is definately building behind bluray audio only disc (profile 3.0). Either you move with the flow, or you stupid ass will be drowned by it

You know, you're starting to sound just as bitter and lost as Pix, when he gets going on a political discussion. Are you sure you want to go out on a limb and pronounce the death of a format so soon? Or are you going to try and convince us that Plasma is dead too?

Speaking of Pix,

What is VITAL is that any future Blu audio format be playable on a standard
Blu player. REQUIRING a "special" player in order to sell players is what killed DVD-A

Ahem, I thought BR music-only disks were playable on all BR players? Or are we now going to have different BR players too?

02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
So which is it? Are you saying that there are more BR music-only titles per month than all the SACD titles in the world combined? For what month is that the case? And why are you bringing Universal, Sony & Warner into the mix? I thought you were talking about 4 tiny Euro companies? Wayyyy too much FUD. Get to the point, will you?

You are putting words in my mouth here. I said on a title per title basis, bluray music is currently outselling SACD. We are not talking about the past, we are talking now. SACD is the past; it's goose is cooked. Slowing but surely over the last two years, record companies releasing to SACD has been falling, and so has the amount of releases. I never mentioned total titles released, I am speaking of purely a title per title basis. How many disc per release sell.

Because you are not bright enough to see the point, when the major label begin to support a format, that means they see it as a legitimate release format. When they abandon a format, they don't see it as viable. At more than ten million players in the field, they see the Bluray format as having a base large enough to support. Obviously they don't look at SACD the same way. SACD is toast, and dying a long slow death.

Your idea of FUD means anything that does not agree with your narrow minded uniformed perspective. I am not going to loose any sleep over that stupid comment.

Part of the reason you appear so stupid and ignorant, is because you like to gloss over detail and hurry to get to a point. Maybe if you paid attention to the detail of the message, you'll will actually learn something.

You know, you're starting to sound just as bitter and lost as Pix, when he gets going on a political discussion. Are you sure you want to go out on a limb and pronounce the death of a format so soon? Or are you going to try and convince us that Plasma is dead too?

You are starting to sound as ignorant as Pix. Well I take that back, you have always sounded as ignorant as Pix. This format is dead. Disc sales are droping, record companies are not supporting it, and even the boutique and small independent record companies are dropping it. That is a fact that even you cannot argue against.

Speaking of Pix,

Ahem, I thought BR music-only disks were playable on all BR players? Or are we now going to have different BR players too?

Bluray music only plays on all existing Bluray players, even the first generation which supports PCM audio.

02-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Sir T,

No need for a complex hookup like with SACD(three two channel cables which can be messy). A single HDMI hookup does the job. No need for a specialized player with specialized circutry, any Bluray player can play a bluray disc. The specs support resolutions far greater than both DVD-A and SACD, so you are going to hear the master just as it was meant to be heard (no down rezzing, and no being stuck with 6 channels).

At this point Beef, it is being aimed at the audiophile crowd. But I just did an interview with Adam Sosinsky who is CEO of Sony/BMG, and he told me that Sony/BMG intends on releasing to Bluray like they release to CD. That means you will see music from just about all genre's on Bluray disc in the future.

Feanor
02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
At this point Beef, it is being aimed at the audiophile crowd. But I just did an interview with Adam Sosinsky who is CEO of Sony/BMG, and he told me that Sony/BMG intends on releasing to Bluray like they release to CD. That means you will see music from just about all genre's on Bluray disc in the future.

I'll believe it when I see it. :16:
I wish us luck, though.

nightflier
02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
You are putting words in my mouth here. I said on a title per title basis, bluray music is currently outselling SACD. We are not talking about the past, we are talking now. SACD is the past; it's goose is cooked. Slowing but surely over the last two years, record companies releasing to SACD has been falling, and so has the amount of releases. I never mentioned total titles released, I am speaking of purely a title per title basis. How many disc per release sell.

After all your insults and long-winded self-aggrandizing tirades, the fact remains that BR-only music numbers are only a fraction of SACD numbers. Couldn't you have admitted that in the first place? I can accept that BR movies are doing well, but BR music-only titles, are way more of a niche and audiophile product right now than SACD.

So why don't you just admit that you were once again wrong? It seems to me that you can't do that on account that you're in personal contact with these BR music-only manufacturers and you have a vested interest in seeing their numbers increase, if for no other reason that you need this to stroke your already bloated ego. How pathetically small is that?

And I'll also say that you are wrong about SACD being dead. You certainly have a knack for hyperbole, lil't. I'm comparing you to Pix, because he revels in it. You're making predictions about the future of SACD that you should probably be more cautious about. Even if the format is selling less than last year, why couldn't we just ascribe that to the economy? After all SACD titles do still sell at a premium, no?

So right now, your statement that SACD's goose being cooked is no different than Pix's comment that Plasma's goose is cooked. Sure sales are down, but let's be a little more cautious about calling the format dead. Let's remember how long people have been saying that LP's are dead, and well, we all know that's not the case.

So as far as I'm concerned, you're right in league with your buddy Pix.

pixelthis
02-03-2009, 11:11 PM

"Bitter and lost"???

Funny thing about you left wingers, you automatically assume that everything
in your microscopic universe is right and true, and anyone not agreeing with you is
some poor wretch.
I guess that makes the vast carnage you left wing types have caused more palatable,
you're the good guys, so if you're doing it it must be right!!!
No matter how many millions get killed or enslaved in the process.
YEAH, lets steal untold wealth from THESE GUYS so we can give it to
THESE GUYS, who are our "friends".
Doesnt matter if it rightly belongs to the first group, and the second group has never worked a day in their lives, we're the GOOD guys right?
Its not stealing because WE are doing it!
Wheather its republicrats stealing to give their banker buddies money to loan back
to the people they stole it from in the first place, or demopulicans stealing it so they can
give 75% to the washington elite, and before its over, maybe 10% to the "poor"
(as defined by us GOOD GUYS of course) most of whom wouldnt be so poor if your
benevolent government hadnt destroyed the economy and their jobs in the process,
ITS STEALING, call it what you will.
AND if we run outta money?
NO PROBLEM.
Just crank up the old printing presses!
And now, thanks to modern tech, we just have to flip a switch on a computer!
AINT PROGRESS WONDERFULL!
And just ignore the Weimar republic, Argentina, Iceland, Zimbabwi, all of those other
countries destroyed in an inflationary sprial...
WE'RE DIFFERENT!!!
Aint gonna happen this TIME!!!
We're the good guys!!!
AND everybody who disagrees with us is a "bitter wretch".
THROW EVERYTHING OUT that our country used to be during the first 150 years!
SURE it made us the most powerfull, rich , admired nation in history.
SO WHAT?
We're the good guys!!
We'll try everything every third world banana republic on the planet has tried!
cronyism! paper money not even good for toilet paper!
Getthos(strike that...housing projects) wealth for those that are parasites
and a swift kick in the ass for honest hard working people!
How dare they embarass us good guys with their hard work, disipline, and high moral
standards ?
Throw em in jail!!!
AND spend all of their wealth on what WE think is right!
AND when we run out of wealth?
Print more!
It'll be okay!
WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS!
HERES a clue for ya ace...
Doesnt matter if I am "bitter" or not(I am not actually)
Doesnt matter AT ALL when you are starving in the dark.
WHERE do you think all of the miracles of the modern world come from?
That light switch on your wall is a piece of copper and plastic if people dont get up and go to work every day.
EVERY DAY.
Think they will work for free?
Thats what every liberal has thought, deep down inside, and if they dont work,
point a gun at em!
Then they will work!
AND that is the grimy , sad, intrinsically evil that left wing ideology always
turns into.
Sooner or later.
Doesnt matter if you think you're a good guy or not.:1:

Feanor
02-04-2009, 03:54 AM
... I said on a title per title basis, bluray music is currently outselling SACD. We are not talking about the past, we are talking now. SACD is the past; it's goose is cooked. Slowing but surely over the last two years, record companies releasing to SACD has been falling, and so has the amount of releases. I never mentioned total titles released, I am speaking of purely a title per title basis. How many disc per release sell.
Bluray music only plays on all existing Bluray players, even the first generation which supports PCM audio.

If Blu-ray is replacing SACD it has a ways to go. Amazon lists 154 titles under "Blu-ray music", 5141 under "SACD". Most if not all of the 156 are videos; some make a point of mentioning hi-rez sound, more do not.

You don't replace SACD without mentioning classical music. About 40 of 156 were classical, mostly opera. The operas were all video (of course) and therefore not replacing SACD, and re-releases (of course) as far as I could see.

I'm fine with Blu-ray replacing SACD, in fact I'm enthusiasitic for it. I'm not holding my breath; most optimistically it is several years down the road. I won't quit buying SACDs either.

nightflier
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Pix, I want to read your posts, I really do, but what's with the damn carriage returns after every line?