Week 24: 25 Greatest Live Records of All Time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 24: 25 Greatest Live Records of All Time

Swish
01-26-2009, 05:05 AM
Just one week to go and the entire RR membership is yawning with excitement as we rapidly approach the end of list.

2) Live Rust--Neil Young & Crazy Horse: Plenty of bootlegs challenge this official live album, but with the amazing catalog and the perfectly sloppy backing band, Neil Young was hitting one of his peaks that would take another decade for him to re-approach. Turn it up and it all sounds like one big blur.

I think the author hit a home run here. Neil Young isn't mentioned often enough here, or so it seems, and that's too bad. He has to be considered among a handful of living legends, and this live record has some of his best material.

Any guesses as to what record he chose as # 1? Give it a shot if you dare.

Swish

Mr MidFi
01-26-2009, 06:42 AM
This album was my introduction to Neil Young, back when I was a pimply-faced teenager, and it's not a bad way to get acquainted with ol' Neil. The live rendition of "Powderfinger" is, all by itself, reason enough to own this incredible 2-disc set.

The author is right...NY was at a peak here, and it would be another 10-12 years before he would produce something this cool again.

The #1 spot? I dunno what this guy's going to say. Frankly, I never do. How about Cheap Trick at Budokan, the full 2-disc remaster?

BradH
01-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Plenty of bootlegs challenge this official live album...

Ha! Plenty of bootlegs challenge any official live album, who is this guy kidding?

But Live Rust is a great pick.

Neil Young isn't mentioned often enough here, or so it seems, and that's too bad.

Oh, that's just Uncle Davey's fault for procrasterslacking on the Tunesday Threads. I listen to a lot of 60's & 70's Neil.

Speaking of bootlegs, the soundboard of the complete 1984 Austin City Limits is an absolute, no bs about it, must have for any Neil Young fan.

Swish
01-27-2009, 06:54 AM
The #1 spot? I dunno what this guy's going to say. Frankly, I never do. How about Cheap Trick at Budokan, the full 2-disc remaster?

Think music icon, something for which Cheap Trick will never be associated. :smilewinkgrin:

Swish
01-27-2009, 06:55 AM
[I]Speaking of bootlegs, the soundboard of the complete 1984 Austin City Limits is an absolute, no bs about it, must have for any Neil Young fan.

Grassy a<a>ss senior.

BradH
01-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Grassy a<a>ss senior.

Now that I think of it, I remember getting my copy from Cornelius aka cc.

Remember him?

3-LockBox
01-27-2009, 04:02 PM
This is a good pick, and its up there where I'd expect it to be. And I add, the track list and energy transcends NY's trademark hamfisted guitar playing.

I haven't had time to back and look at the list from weeks past, so I don't remember if this one got mentioned already, but is the #1 album from Bruce Springsteen?

Davey
01-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Yea, that is a good one. Strong finish to the list. I saw #3 Elvis Costello when I was in college in a little place where they just about tore the roof off. Blast of a great show. And I think Tonio K nailed the record holding the number 1 slot in this list (and many other lists) quite a bunch of years ago within his response to the silly Steve Simels review of his excellent Life In The Foodchain in the pages of Stereo Review ... http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=156759&postcount=8

:)

Ex Lion Tamer
01-28-2009, 06:17 AM

Swish

I'm holding out hope that its Velvet Underground's 1969. Not Bloody Likely! Probably something like Hendrix - Band of Gypsy's, (unless he already picked it - too lazy to check). Or maybe dbi's on to something with The Hardest Working Man in Showbiz's Apollo disc. Or how about Live at Leeds, has it made an appearrance?

Swish
01-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Now that I think of it, I remember getting my copy from Cornelius aka cc.

Remember him?

...RR. It's been a long, long time too.

Swish
01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
And I think Tonio K nailed the record holding the number 1 slot in this list (and many other lists) quite a bunch of years ago within his response to the silly Steve Simels review of his excellent Life In The Foodchain in the pages of Stereo Review ... http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=156759&postcount=8

:)

..of all time? :) I have it and it's pretty fine, but the greatest? Nah.

Swish
01-28-2009, 11:20 AM
This is a good pick, and its up there where I'd expect it to be. And I add, the track list and energy transcends NY's trademark hamfisted guitar playing.

I haven't had time to back and look at the list from weeks past, so I don't remember if this one got mentioned already, but is the #1 album from Bruce Springsteen?

Swish

Swish
01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm holding out hope that its Velvet Underground's 1969. Not Bloody Likely! Probably something like Hendrix - Band of Gypsy's, (unless he already picked it - too lazy to check). Or maybe dbi's on to something with The Hardest Working Man in Showbiz's Apollo disc. Or how about Live at Leeds, has it made an appearrance?

That would spoil the surprise for me too. I was just hoping to see what everyone would guess and try to draw some conclusions from it. This list has been all over the place, with some obvious choices and some completely bizarre ones.

Davey
01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
So you don't think it was 'the greater rock 'n roll record'...of all time? :) I have it and it's pretty fine, but the greatest? Nah.

Hmm, now I don't know if you're talking about the Tonio K record, or what Tonio thought was the best record ever...

Has Simels gone mad? "Life in the Foodchain," while certainly a good, great, maybe even swell album, can't possibly be the greatest album ever recorded. "James Brown Live at the Apollo" is. This can be substantiated with actual documentation, so don't argue with me.

But who really cares, I'm moving on to your new question. The greatest rock 'n roll record of all time (though it's pretty obvious that "my" time may be moving down a different helix than the conventional "all" time :) ) is Mark Lanegan's Bubblegum, that's the one.

Swish
01-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Hmm, now I don't know if you're talking about the Tonio K record, or what Tonio thought was the best record ever...

But who really cares, I'm moving on to your new question. The greatest rock 'n roll record of all time (though it's pretty obvious that "my" time may be moving down a different helix than the conventional "all" time :) ) is Mark Lanegan's Bubblegum, that's the one.

And I suppose nobody really cares, but I wanted to put your mind at ease. Yeah.