Best way to hook everything together? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best way to hook everything together?

SAGENT
01-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Heres what I've got:

TV- Pioneer PDP-5020FD
DVD/ CD / Blueray: Sony Playstion 3
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2500

As the receiver is only able to switch with component video, what would be the best way to hook everything together? I understand 1080p can be sent thru component cables but the Pioneer plasma will not accept thru same, only through HDMI
Thanks

elapsed
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Hey Sagent, for optimal audio and video I would connect the system as follows:

1. PS3 HDMI Output ===> Pioneer HDMI Input
2. PS3 Optical Audio Output ===> Yamaha Optical Audio Input

Also to configure your AVR you'll want to connect her to your HDTV:

3. Yamaha Component Output ===> Pioneer Component Input

Last but not least I would recommend purchasing a Universal Remote to simplify switching between your sources

cheers,
elapsed

f0rge
01-25-2009, 03:54 PM
i'll second what elapsed said. that's what i would do too.

Kevio
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
3. Yamaha Component Output ===> Pioneer Component InputWith nothing connected to any of the component inputs on the Yamaha, why do you need to connect the TV to its output?

elapsed
01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
With nothing connected to any of the component inputs on the Yamaha, why do you need to connect the TV to its output?
There might come a time when you want to configure your receiver, assign inputs, or switch another source via your AVR

cheers,
elapsed

pixelthis
01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Heres what I've got:

TV- Pioneer PDP-5020FD
DVD/ CD / Blueray: Sony Playstion 3
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V2500

As the receiver is only able to switch with component video, what would be the best way to hook everything together? I understand 1080p can be sent thru component cables but the Pioneer plasma will not accept thru same, only through HDMI
Thanks

Try using some wires, always works with me.
And 1080i can be transmitted via component , but 1080p cant,
welcome to my world(my receiver only handles component)
So let your TV handle video switching duties, get a good unversal remote that will switch receiver inputs when you change video inputs.
And run a composite (yellow) cable to your TV sets AV in so you can use your receivers
onscreen display.
ONLY way it will work:1:

SAGENT
01-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Ok, hooked everything up as per suggestions and no audio coming from receiver via the PS3's optical out. Looking at the PS3 owners manual it appears you can only use 1 type of audio output from the PS3 at any given time.

The Pioneer plasma has an optical out. If I were to disconnect PS3 optical from receiver and run the TV's optical into my receiver, would that work? ( leaving the PS3 hooked up to the TV via HDMI )

elapsed
01-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Ok, hooked everything up as per suggestions and no audio coming from receiver via the PS3's optical out. Looking at the PS3 owners manual it appears you can only use 1 type of audio output from the PS3 at any given time.

The Pioneer plasma has an optical out. If I were to disconnect PS3 optical from receiver and run the TV's optical into my receiver, would that work? ( leaving the PS3 hooked up to the TV via HDMI )
So are you saying that you won't be able to use HDMI and optical audio simultaneously on your PS3? That doesn't seem right to me, but maybe if any PS3 owners can chime in

The optical out on your plasma is only if you were to use the internal tuner on your HDTV to decode digital cable, so no this wouldn't work in your setup

cheers,
elapsed