Acquired another PreAmp today -McIntosh MX110 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Acquired another PreAmp today -McIntosh MX110

squeegy200
01-25-2009, 10:53 AM
A dear friend gave me a preamp from his extensive collection of audio equipment today.
He informed me this unit may require some work but after a brief warm up, I have yet to find anything non-functional on this Vacuum Tubed Preamp. The unit is a McIntosh MX110.

We discussed some brief history and he suggested some of the tubes and capacitors may need replacement. However, I powered it up, allowed for a nice warm up and brief dusting and finally attached one source--an Oppo Digital DV-970HD. My initial impression is that this thing sounds glorious in its present state. I would rate its present condition an 8/10 with some discoloration of the older tubes. It appears one of the capacitors is leaking electrolyte. Ill open it up later today and do a more thorough examination at which point Ill test the phono sections.

Feanor
01-25-2009, 12:08 PM
A dear friend gave me a preamp from his extensive collection of audio equipment today.
He informed me this unit may require some work but after a brief warm up, I have yet to find anything non-functional on this Vacuum Tubed Preamp. The unit is a McIntosh MX110.

Congrats, Squeegy. McIntosh equipment holds its value well, and the tube equipment very well indeed. Consider having the power capacitors replaced.

A very nice gift indeed from a friend; a true 8/10 MX110 can be sold for >US$1000. Here are some vintage McIntosh sites to check out:

Roger Russell (http://www.roger-russell.com/tunpre.htm#mx110)
Bremer's Site (http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_McIntosh.htm)
Audio Classics (http://www.audioclassics.com/query.php3?query=MX110), (a dealer)Note that Audio Classics has a sub-spec, (B4), MX110 offered for say at $899. (Per Russell, the last retail price, 1969, was $399.)

squeegy200
01-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Thank you. You've just made my life easier as I was just scouring the web for such sites.

My friend told me he originally purchased this for $384 at a retail store. He had five of them in storage.

It looks like at least one of the power supply capacitors is leaking ever so slightly And there is one non-OEM knob that should be replaced to retain authenticity. He also gave me an MR80 tuner that I've still to examine.

He told me that if I decide to sell them to reimburse him for his original cost. Otherwise, they were mine to enjoy.

I've got to find a users manual as there are seemingly redundant knobs which I don't comprehend and the labeling near the RCA patch ports on the backside have worn so I can't easily determine what should be plugged in and where.

The chassis is still highly polished and all of the light bulbs still work.

basite
01-26-2009, 09:55 AM
um

consider that a score.

big time.

wonderful equipment, and it will provide you with excellent sound...
indeed check out the sites Feanor mentioned...

Lucky you! :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Hyfi
01-26-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a nice old preamp. I just acquired a VAC Cla-1 MkII in the equivalent of a garage sale. I'm waiting for some new tubes but the unit works just fine. A lot to be said about this older tube equipment.

What designates a unit as Vintage? How old does it need to be to be considered Vintage?

jrhymeammo
02-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Nothing is better than enjoying winter with glorious tubes.
Enjoy!

JRA

bobsticks
02-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Squeege, that's a hella nice piece of vintage equipment. I'm thinkin' ol' boy deserves a steak dinner for such largesse. hopefully you're right about it's condition and it'll offer many more years of service.

Cheers,

--sticks