My killer new stereo for under $3500 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My killer new stereo for under $3500

jaxwired
01-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Hello everyone,
Over the last 2 years I've completely updated my 20 year old 2 channel stereo. I put $3500 as the price, because that's retail, but I paid less. My new system:
NAD C355bee Int. Amp (80w/channel)
NAD C545bee CD player
B&W CM7 speakers
Audioquest cables

This 2 channel music system is amazing. I actually get chills during certain recordings. I listen to a wide range of music. For example, recent purchases of Adele, Zac Brown, Los Lonely Boys, Josh Rouse, Little Jackie, just to name a few.

I find it totally depressing that a whole generation is missing out on good audio equipment and well recorded music. Mass market stereos are so far from my system it's embarrassing and add to that MP3 quality music and it's garbage and most people have no clue. You cannot get chills from listening to a best buy system with an MP3 source.

But back to my new system. It's sublime. I cannot believe the quality I'm getting from this neat little package. I truly find it hard to believe that I will ever want to improve it further. I realize I can spend 10 times on a system, but this system delivers so much for what I would call a budget hi-end system that I'm truly satisfied.

I will say that I tried all these components separately and while they were still impressive, they are a magnitude better in combination with each other.

JohnMichael
01-25-2009, 07:11 AM
I agree your system sounds very enjoyable. You are right that until you hear a good system without compressed files you are not hearing all the music. I was glad to see you chose Audioquest cables and I was wondering which models you chose. I am thinking about the new AQ King Cobra for an IC between my cd player and int. amp.

Spiral Sea
01-25-2009, 07:29 AM
very nice system indeed. how is the NAD C545 performing compared to what you had before?
last year I have moved from a Denon integrated amp to the NAD C162/272 combination and i'm still looking for a new cd player but there aren't any reviews for the new NAD cd players C545 and C565 yet.

Mr Peabody
01-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear you have a system you are happy with. I believe as brands like Creek and Arcam trend into higher price ranges that more people are going to discover or rediscover NAD as a great value. Cambridge Audio is still making gear in the "mid-fi" area but them and NAD have very difference sounds. I personally lean toward the NAD.

I also find as you did that same brand name gear can usually net a better synergized system. I know many people will speak of no sound quality differences between brands but that just isn't so and when you add pieces together that have been built with the same goal, or sound quality, in mind you get a more coherent presentation.

Ajani
01-25-2009, 08:18 AM
Hello everyone,
Over the last 2 years I've completely updated my 20 year old 2 channel stereo. I put $3500 as the price, because that's retail, but I paid less. My new system:
NAD C355bee Int. Amp (80w/channel)
NAD C545bee CD player
B&W CM7 speakers
Audioquest cables

This 2 channel music system is amazing. I actually get chills during certain recordings. I listen to a wide range of music. For example, recent purchases of Adele, Zac Brown, Los Lonely Boys, Josh Rouse, Little Jackie, just to name a few.

I find it totally depressing that a whole generation is missing out on good audio equipment and well recorded music. Mass market stereos are so far from my system it's embarrassing and add to that MP3 quality music and it's garbage and most people have no clue. You cannot get chills from listening to a best buy system with an MP3 source.

But back to my new system. It's sublime. I cannot believe the quality I'm getting from this neat little package. I truly find it hard to believe that I will ever want to improve it further. I realize I can spend 10 times on a system, but this system delivers so much for what I would call a budget hi-end system that I'm truly satisfied.

I will say that I tried all these components separately and while they were still impressive, they are a magnitude better in combination with each other.

Congratulations....

Based on my experiences with NAD (I owned the immediate predecessors to the models you have), Audioquest (I've stuck to their cables for quite some time) and the B&W CM series (I helped my friend audition and buy a CM1), I expect your setup to sound amazing... Before Monitor Audio, B&W was my favorite brand...

I really hope to get to audition the CM7 one day (I auditioned the CM1 many times, but that was before the CM7 was released)...

thekid
01-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice set-up-it sounds like you are getting alot of enjoyment out of it.
I only have a NAD tape deck but hear lots of good comments about their gear.

02audionoob
01-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Mass market stereos are so far from my system it's embarrassing and add to that MP3 quality music and it's garbage and most people have no clue.

Most people don't consider it within their means to spend $3,500 on an audio system. It's a matter of priorities, since they could always spend a little less on their next car. But still...it's just not where the average person puts their money. They're happy with the brands at the big box stores and they have been for a long time.

jaxwired
01-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree your system sounds very enjoyable. You are right that until you hear a good system without compressed files you are not hearing all the music. I was glad to see you chose Audioquest cables and I was wondering which models you chose. I am thinking about the new AQ King Cobra for an IC between my cd player and int. amp.

Yes, I am a total lossless snob. I buy CD's and I listent to CD's for 3 reasons.
1. I like having the case and the liner.
2. I like having the original recording uncompressed.
3. I like paying for my music.

I'll admit when it comes to cables I'm not very educated. I've got audioquest GBC speaker cable because hcmaudio has it on super sale. I'm using audioquest sidewinder as for my one and only IC. To be honest, I'm a semi skeptic regarding hi-end wire, but I still invested in these audioquest products just to be on the safe side and it was a small investment.

jaxwired
01-25-2009, 12:20 PM
very nice system indeed. how is the NAD C545 performing compared to what you had before?
last year I have moved from a Denon integrated amp to the NAD C162/272 combination and i'm still looking for a new cd player but there aren't any reviews for the new NAD cd players C545 and C565 yet.

The C545 was the last piece of the puzzle. I've had the NAD 355 amp and the B&W speakers for about 1 year now and I just got the C545 2 weeks ago. Previously I was using a mid grade denon CD/DVD player which I liked. However before buying the NAD, I purchased a Marantz CD5001 about 6 months ago. The Marantz was a beautiful unit with nice features however after 1 month of listening, I found that the detail I was use to with the denon was gone with the Marantz. I would not recommend that particular Marantz, just my opinion. I returned it. Then about 1 month ago I noticed that NAD had released the NAD C545bee. So I ordered one from Spearitsound.com who I recommend. Their customer service was great. They offered to let me upgrade to the C565 at no charge when it is available next month. I will not be doing that though since I love the C545. The denon CD player had great detail, but could be the tiniest bit harsh on high end frequencies especially after extended listening. The C545 has all the detail of the denon plus 10% with zero high end harshness. It is the best I've ever owned and if matched with the NAD amp sounds incredible.

jaxwired
01-25-2009, 12:24 PM
I also find as you did that same brand name gear can usually net a better synergized system. I know many people will speak of no sound quality differences between brands but that just isn't so and when you add pieces together that have been built with the same goal, or sound quality, in mind you get a more coherent presentation.

That is my experience as well. The NAD C355 amp did sound a little fat on the low end with my old CD player. Now with NAD CD player the bass is tight and clean. It is truly a noticable difference. And I use to be skeptical about the importance of CD players in the system focusing more on amps and speakers.

jaxwired
01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Congratulations....

Based on my experiences with NAD (I owned the immediate predecessors to the models you have), Audioquest (I've stuck to their cables for quite some time) and the B&W CM series (I helped my friend audition and buy a CM1), I expect your setup to sound amazing... Before Monitor Audio, B&W was my favorite brand...

I really hope to get to audition the CM7 one day (I auditioned the CM1 many times, but that was before the CM7 was released)...

I share your enthusiasm for Monitor Audio. In fact, I almost purchased the RS6 instead of the CM7. Half the price too. The RS6 is really great and similar to the CM series, but ultimately the mids on the CM7 were the smallest bit more true to life to my ears.

jaxwired
01-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Most people don't consider it within their means to spend $3,500 on an audio system. It's a matter of priorities, since they could always spend a little less on their next car. But still...it's just not where the average person puts their money. They're happy with the brands at the big box stores and they have been for a long time.

Well, in my opinion, the big box stores audio department deteriorates more each year. Best buy doesn't even have a speaker room anymore. Pretty much everyone just buys a home theater in a box which is generally very mediocre sound. I do agree that most people are happy with the mediocre products, but it's mainly because few people use their stereos for music anymore. Now it's almost exclusively for movies. To me, listening to music is one of the great joys in life. I just think it's a shame that people don't even know there is something so much better.
I really don't think it's price that keeps people from buying better equipment. They just don't care about good sound enough to buy good equipment. That is why stereo stores keep going out of business or converting entirely to home theater.

Mr Peabody
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, the majority of people good quality music reproduction is just not a priority. Even people who listen to my system and are wow'd don't get motivated to do anything to improve their own.

Jaxwired, don't be a skeptic. Your CD player probably came with a pair of cheezy interconnects, put them in place of your Audioquest to hear what happens. You should have some old speaker wire around and, if not, zip cord is cheap, switch it out with your AQ. Only do one thing at a time though. Then maybe try replacing both. This should be an easy thing for you to do. If you do it please post your impression. Then you won't be a skeptic any more, you'll know you wasted your money, or be thoroughly convince it was well spent. If it was a waste, then, lesson learned and it won't happen again.

Worf101
01-26-2009, 05:18 AM
Yes, I am a total lossless snob. I buy CD's and I listent to CD's for 3 reasons.
1. I like having the case and the liner.
2. I like having the original recording uncompressed.
3. I like paying for my music.

I'll admit when it comes to cables I'm not very educated. I've got audioquest GBC speaker cable because hcmaudio has it on super sale. I'm using audioquest sidewinder as for my one and only IC. To be honest, I'm a semi skeptic regarding hi-end wire, but I still invested in these audioquest products just to be on the safe side and it was a small investment.
Can't say I disagree. Matter of fact I concur with every statement you made. My system is primarily a HT system and it's mid level but I currently use no MP3's in my audio stream at all. Congrats on the new system.

Da Worfster

Feanor
01-26-2009, 06:08 AM

You could spend not 10x, but a 100-300x on a stereo system -- check out mikel's stuff at AA (http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html)-- but there are dimishing returns to say the least. It seems to me the you systems is very well balance and should be highly effective -- enjoy.

There are plenty of folks around here who'd suggest you try the vinyl medium; personally I'm not one of them, but it might depend on the sort of music you listen to. Meanwhile I do agree the MP3 is unsatisfactory.

I won't be buying another CD player; if I buy a disc player it will be an SACD player. But sooner I'll be looking for a DAC upgrade and computer/software upgrades because I listen to almost everything today ripped to computer files.