Denon AVR 1505 Power prob. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon AVR 1505 Power prob.

Boatman1
01-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Not sure if the kids wrecked it or what, but here's the prob.
when you turn it on it powers on for about 2 secs. then it shuts
down and the power switch blinks fast.
no fuses are blown and I've tried reseting the processor but doesn't help.
Manual says if you run it at high volume for long periods the safety circuit
will trip, and then resets it self after it cools down, my buddy took it in twice
under warranty and they couldn't find out what was wrong so they sent back
a new one, of coarse the warranty is up and It's gone again.
any Ideas would be appreciated thanks.

P.S. using five 6 ohm speakers that were recommended for the amp.

JohnMichael
01-25-2009, 07:20 AM
My first thought was a short in how the speakers were wired to the receiver. Sometimes when bare wire is used a few loose wires can connect and create a short. I would check all your connections. I would think either a short or something internally was damaged for it to shut down so quickly.

Kevio
01-25-2009, 09:09 AM
It is protecting itself and your speakers from an internal or external fault. I like JM's suggesting of looking for problems in your speaker wiring. Also I would argue that your warranty should have been restarted when they replaced the original unit. Don't know if they'll buy that but I'd push for it.

pixelthis
01-26-2009, 02:44 PM
It might be a speaker wire short, but I doubt it.
Something you are doing is frying these receivers.
denon is a good brand, and while you might get a lemon...
THREE in a row strains credulity.
Something in your speakers, the way your equipment is hooked up, or teh way someone in your family is using your gear.
Its kinda like the guy who got divorced five times and couldnt understand what was wrong with women.
In other words its something you are doing, maybe a speaker has a short or something:1:

Boatman1
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
thanks guys but I've checked inside and out for poss shorts thought of the single strand also,
It does it even when no speakers are hooked up, could poss have been a bad speaker, so I'm
going to start pulling them apart.

Kevio
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
You don't need to pull apart speakers. You just need to put an ohm meter across the disconnected wires. If you have a short, it will measure 0 or 1 ohm. If OK it will measure 5-10 ohms.

hydroman
02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
thanks guys but I've checked inside and out for poss shorts thought of the single strand also,
It does it even when no speakers are hooked up, could poss have been a bad speaker, so I'm
going to start pulling them apart.

With all speakers disco and it still shuts down - it has an internal short. Fix or replace the reciever.