I saw John Sebastian last night [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I saw John Sebastian last night

Hyfi
01-24-2009, 10:18 AM
and once again, except for a few peoples children, we were the youngest people there.

It's time again for the annual New Hope-Lambertville Winterfest weekend. As allways, it gets kicked off with a VIP meet and greet before a concert at the best sounding High School auditorium in New Hope. This year, and for the 2nd time, it was John Sebastian.

The show started off with duo Doug Robinson and Eric Aceto with jazz/samba guitar, violin, and vocals. Different but quite good for the style and live is most times good.

John came out and was smiling as always. Talked plenty with the crowd telling stories about the origin of his songs. He played all the ones you would remember-
"Do You Believe In Magic?" "You Didn't Have To Be So Nice." "Daydream." "Younger Girl." "Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind?" "Summer In The City." "Rain On The Roof." "Nashville Cats." "Six O'Clock." "Younger Generation."

He came back out for his encore and played an old favorite of mine well done over by Slade, "Darling Be Home Soon."

His playing and charisma along with good old songs made the show bearable. His voice, never been great from the beginning, is all but gone. My wife swore he almost spit out his dentures a few times. What was really funny, or sad however you look at it, was when the words changed from a lower octave to a higher one the second half of the word was inaudible even though his lips were moving.

Great show in a great venue for a great cause. Our best friend founded this festival many years ago and we have been along for the ride since the beginning, even volunteering many times. She no longer runs the fest but still always gets warm recognition at all the events throughout the weekend.

http://www.winterfestival.net/index.html

Auricauricle
01-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a very nice evening, Hy! He's one of the good ones and I'm glad he's still around now that Denver and Chapman are upstairs and all....

Worf101
01-26-2009, 05:43 AM
His voice, never been great from the beginning, is all but gone. My wife swore he almost spit out his dentures a few times. What was really funny, or sad however you look at it, was when the words changed from a lower octave to a higher one the second half of the word was inaudible even though his lips were moving.

http://www.winterfestival.net/index.html
I saw him a few years ago and I love his song writing ability but his voice was gone then. Too much smoke and joke I'd guess. Wow... but he could write.

Da Worfster