New HT system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New HT system

surgeandoj
03-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Hey everyone, I've looked through the site a bit and found the forums quite useful. I'm shopping around for a new home theater system. I'd like something that will last me many years with crystal clear sound. I listen to all music and movie genres and from what i've demoed and heard Polk gives the best of both worlds. I've also looked at Definitive and a few other brands. I'm also interested in the Harman Kardon receivers because of the remote auto set function, style, and amperage. I've also liked Yamaha's receivers. Onkyo and marantz are also brands i've taken a look at.
Basically i'm looking for a receiver that will allow me to use future formats such as 7.1, HD etc., plenty of sound, component/optical in/out and cost under $1,000. Speakers need to be efficient, loud, be the visual focus of the room and cost under $2,500. DVD player plays SACD's DTS cd's DVD audio, Progressive scan, component.
What i'm planning: HK AVR430 receiver. A Polk CSi3 (center). Pair of Polk RTi10's (Front). Pair of Polk Rti4's (surround), Pair of Polk FXi5's (side speakers). all in a cherry finish. I haven't researched dvd players or subs yet.
So..... let me know what you think. Any suggestions? changes? i'm sure i left out something you need to figure things out so post what you need and i'll get back to you. Also is 7.1, 8.1 etc worth it or will 5.1 and 6.1 do it? Thanks guys look forward to chatting with you

AVMASTER
03-16-2004, 05:45 AM
nice package, personally i perfer the Polk Lsi series but the only thing i would change is the center channel to the Csi5, and add two psw303 subs. there several universal dvd players out there that would work however i'd like to know what kind of display device you will be using b-4 i make a suggestion

surgeandoj
03-16-2004, 06:55 AM
I liked the CSi5 except it was very deep sounding. Would i use the Subs in stereo or Rear and front?
I've got an old sharp 27" tube but eventually i'll upgrade to a hdtv of some kind. On my college budget I think i'd go with a tube or rear projection hdtv costing under $1500-2000. I'd prefer the Polk LSi series too with the built in subs and all wood cabinets but I don't make enough ... yet. I'll leave those for a future upgrade, something to look forward to.

Bryan
03-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Make no mistake, built in subs in speakers generally will not replace a dedicated subwoofer. As an example, the upcoming Rocket RS1K has a built in 'subwoofer'. However, to their credit they call it what it is. An 8" powered woofer. They also say it does not replace a dedicated subwoofer. Here is where we will need to know what the size (dimensions) of your HT room. Any openings into other rooms? If so, what size are they?

For the receiver, see what you want versus what you need. Will you use the upconversion feature from composite to S-video? Will you be directly connecting the DVD player, VCR, etc., to the tv rather than going through the receiver? If so, you do not need those you can go with a lesser receiver. If you have a medium size room you may not need the best out there. If you don't need or want a lot of DSP modes you can narrow your choices down. How many connections will you actually be using? Rather than spending $1000 on a receiver you may only need to spend $500 - $600. If you have extra amps you can use you may think about buying a preamp rather than a receiver.

Are you trying to get all the speakers, including the subwoofer, for $2,500?

5.1 or 6.1 are the standard formats. I imagine true 7.1 may be on its way sometime in the future but nothing as of yet is in that format.

Perhaps the following system would work well for you:

Rocket HT package #3 (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=12.1) - $1,649 plus shipping
Rocket RS150 (http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=1.1) - $399 plus shipping (gives you 7.1 surround)
Yamaha RX-V750 (http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=946&Product_Id=3969643) - $599.88 (JandR.com)
HSU VTF-3 (http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html) - $699 delivered

Total - $3,346.88 plus shipping for some items though I have not included a dvd player (what is the budget for that?). The speakers are rosewood though the sub is black.

surgeandoj
03-16-2004, 06:25 PM
My current room is 16x12 with a 66" opening in the 16' wall and a 60" opening in the 12' wall. these openings share a corner making the room 16x12 on two walls and ~10.5x7 on the other two. And on top of that there is a bar area on the 7 foot wall that takes up the whole wall and a 60" window on the 10 foot wall. Couch on the longest wall I can't think of a worse place for a HT system.

Luckily I plan on moving in June into a 2 bedroom closer to work. I'll use the second room for a study/ studio/ theater room. It will be about 14x12 with no openings into other rooms.
I can get the Polk speaker set for around 2,500 with a sub but the rocket speakers sure are eye candy. Is there a way i can hear them without going to CO.?

I'd like to run the components through the receiver just for convenience but i only plan on having Dvd Vhs and Tivo/Sat combo box. I don't think i'd use the up conversion feature from composite to svid. I have or plan on buying amps right now but i'd like to have preamps to do be able to add them should i need them. The HK seems to have more than enough in/outs, great sound and features for my price. Are there other brands that give you tons of features for under $1,000?
My Dvd player budget is around $200 ... maybe the Pioneer DV-563A? If i left anything out or you have more questions let me know Thanks for your help guys.

surgeandoj
03-16-2004, 08:33 PM
*don't plan on buying amps right now sorry for leaving that out

AVMASTER
03-17-2004, 05:28 AM
Pioneer dv563, best shot within your parameters
place subs along side towers
in that price range i'd look at the 46" Hitachi rptv
actually i had the Polk Lsi15 in mind

Tarheel_
03-17-2004, 06:08 AM
You cannot go wrong with the Pioneer DV-563A. Great machine without all the cash investment. On the HK receiver, consider the AVR7200, it's HKs highend receiver. It weights 60 lbs, or 20 lbs more than their next model below. Great amp section w/ plenty of outputs/inputs, no fan and is simply a beast. Best part, the 7200 is about to be replaced and is going for around $800 online from authorized dealers. Definitely bang for the buck.
Polk is excellent as well and their customer service is second to none. Contact them directly through their website and give your preferences and room dimensions and they will probably contact your directly. They helped me setup my first HT room and were just fantastic! Let us know your final decision and how it sounds. Another point to remember, Polk is a well known brand and therefore can be quickly sold on ebay when the upgrade bug strikes....and it will. Peace.

surgeandoj
03-20-2004, 08:26 AM
:confused: alright... been reading around a bit and it seems like HK's don't have the reliability that other recievers such as yamaha have. Would i be better off getting a Yamaha receiver? I hate the way they look but if it's the difference between a rock solid reciever and a shabby one i have to take to the shop over the next few years i guess i have no choice. I believe some yamaha's have the YPAO setting which is better than HK's easy set because it adjusts freq. as well as levels.

What do you guys think Yamaha VS. Harman Kardon ?

Also am i kidding myself thinking if i spend a ton of money now on mid end equipment i'll be set for most of my life? Am i better off buying standard technology and upgrading down the line? I know i've got the computer upgrade bug which causes me to sporadically upgrade my computer to the latest and greatest so i'm sure i'll catch the Home Audio bug from being on these forums. With taxes and other irregular bills i won't be completing my original system until mid -summer.

should i buy a 5.1, 6.1? and wait until formats are standard before moving up to the next level? Should i buy it all at once or in pieces?

TinHere
03-20-2004, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=surgeandoj]
I can get the Polk speaker set for around 2,500 with a sub but the rocket speakers sure are eye candy. Is there a way i can hear them without going to CO.?
QUOTE]

Check on http://www.audioenvy.com/ to see if anyone is offering auditions in your area. You can also post on the forum at AV123.com and ask for an audition. BTW I have Rocket's and love them. Extraordinary customer service is a plus.

Enjoy your choice.

TinHere
03-20-2004, 09:56 AM
I run a Rocket Package #2 [750/200/300] with a Yamaha RX-V2400 and like it very much. YPAO makes set-up a breeze. The RX-V1400 is IMHO a better value.

For life is a long time, but I am content with my system for now, and could make changes if I felt the need. YMMV.

Happy hunting.

cashlz
03-20-2004, 05:32 PM
I noticed that Denon hasn't been mentioned as an option for a receiver. IMO I wouldn't count them out especially with the other brands you are looking at. I have everything polk except for my sub (granted what I have is all "Rsi" series) and have a denon receiver and am extremely pleased with the performance thus far. Just a thought. Might be worth a look.

woodman
03-20-2004, 07:11 PM
:confused: alright... been reading around a bit and it seems like HK's don't have the reliability that other recievers such as yamaha have. Would i be better off getting a Yamaha receiver? I hate the way they look but if it's the difference between a rock solid reciever and a shabby one i have to take to the shop over the next few years i guess i have no choice. I believe some yamaha's have the YPAO setting which is better than HK's easy set because it adjusts freq. as well as levels.

What do you guys think Yamaha VS. Harman Kardon ?

I get quite a kick out of reading posts on these boards touting one brand over another because it "sounds better". This is pretty much pure folly, as most any brand in the marketplace is perfectly capable of producing excellent sound. But, alas and alack, there's more to consumer elecronics than sheer performance ... period. The questions of ease of use, features, customer support from the company - if and when the need should arise, and last but not least (in fact THE most important feature in my book) ... reliability. I've worked on this gear all of my life (more than 50 years in electronic servicing), and today I wouldn't consider for even a second buying any brand of receiver other than Yamaha.

I concur with what the Tin-man said regarding the superior value of the RX-V1400 over it's (slightly) more expensive sibling - the 2400. The 1400 has it all ... in spades.

Hope this helps you

Willow
03-21-2004, 04:17 AM
I currently own the csi3 and rti4.

CSI3 : great lil speaker, one thing if you bi-wire move on to the csi5,and also by doing so you get 6.5" mids. The great thing with both is that if you want to set up the speaker under you TV you don't need ugly door stops to angle it towards the listening area.

Rti4 : I think Polk has done a great job with the new series. I use the 4 as mains, one day ....i will change those to the rears as you are planning and get rti6 for mains. But in my opinion if to me they sound very good up front I see no prob in having them as rears.The rti4 are bi-wire-able. Over all for the price, look , feel and most importantly the sound these speakers are a very good choice

cashlz
03-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Well then, please disregard my statements concerning denon for I am a fool it seems.

surgeandoj
03-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Bought the RTi4's and the CSi3 this weekend. Hooked up the RTi's up to my old kenwood stereo receiver and they sound beautiful. Went to best buy to check out the yammy 1400 but they only had 6.1 receivers. The HK has moved down my list of receivers as i read posts and feel that the 1400 is the one for me + i found it for $570. I guess i'll try Ultimate electronics next see if i can demo it with some definitive speakers... hear they're similar to the polk's. Don't worry cashlz i'll try out the Dennons too. Thanks for all your help keep your opinions coming. I'll need help deciding on subs later too. I'll keep you all updated

Bryan
03-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Best Buy will not carry the RX-V line of receivers. They stick to the HTR line. You may have to try a higher end or specialty shop for the RX-V line.

As you will be getting amps down the road maybe you should consider going with the Outlaw 950. That way you will be entering the world of separates.

Seems as how you your future HT room will be small (14 x 12 x 8 for 1,400 cubic feet) you may consider going with either the HSU VTF-2 or Adire Audio Rava with an equalizer, such as the Behringer Feedback Destroyer.

surgeandoj
03-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Bought the Pioneer DV-563a today. Lots of features I like, 5.1 preamp, SACD, progressive scan & component out as well as easy to use on screen setup. You can configure the speaker sizes and placement and its got an easy to use remote. Great Picture and sound. Definately the most features for the money. Compared Onkyo to HK, HK was more full bodied..... however, i didn't check levels settings etc. I'm still leaning towards the yamaha and their ypao though. Thanks again for all your help. I'll post again when i buy the receiver ... after uncle sam gets a fat check for taxes.