2009 releases: So far, so good! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2009 releases: So far, so good!

Mr MidFi
01-21-2009, 11:48 AM
I wasn't wild about most of what I heard in 2008. But this year is less than 3 weeks old, and I'm already building a pretty solid shopping list of current releases. I like what I'm hearing from the new Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Ezra Furmen & the Harpoons, The Boxer Rebellion and Umphry's McGee discs.

How about you?

dean_martin
01-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I pre-ordered the new M. Ward album set for release in Feb. Check it out on the Merge Records website.

hope to pick up the new Andrew Bird soon.

There happened to be an article in today's paper on the new U2 album due in March. I don't know if I'll pick it up, but interestingly it's supposed to be available in 5 different packages.

Slosh
01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe this will be the year the new Hellsayers and Richard Davies albums will be finally released. And maybe The Wrens too.

Finch Platte
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I wasn't wild about most of what I heard in 2008. But this year is less than 3 weeks old, and I'm already building a pretty solid shopping list of current releases. I like what I'm hearing from the new Animal Collective, Andrew Bird, Ezra Furmen & the Harpoons, The Boxer Rebellion and Umphry's McGee discs.

How about you?

What's the word on the Umphrey's McGee disc?

Now you got me excited! :crazy:

I've got a 4-disc set of them on NYE '04- if you want to check it out, lemme know.

fp

Mr MidFi
01-22-2009, 06:41 AM
I'm actually not an Umphry's fan...but the bits I've heard from the new one sound interesting to me. Apparently, they worked on this one for like 3 years.

A discrete little bird shared the Andrew Bird leak with me before its release, and it's good stuff. (I definitely owe him one, and I might just send him something via old-fashioned snail mail, assuming he's still at the same address.)

And a buddy at work played me some of that Ezra Furmen & the Harpoons yesterday...I'd never heard of them before. Sorta like Willie Nile meets Violent Femmes.

And I actually downloaded that new Boxer Rebellion album, which I almost never do. But $5.99 for a DRM-free, 256kps album isn't a bad deal...and I'm liking what I'm hearing. Think Interpol meets The Killers, with an undercoat of Radiohead and splashes of Elbow here and there.

And the new Animal Collective is getting huge buzz everywhere. The consensus seems to be it's a surprisingly engaging neo-psychedelic mess.

Finch Platte
01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
Well, check this out, then!

http://www.myanimalhome.net/

3-LockBox
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Pure Reason Revolution is supposed to have a new one out this spring. I'll swoop down on it as soon as its out.

cole
01-31-2009, 09:35 AM
yeah, slosh..sorry about the long wait, but in the next few months, "all you need to sleep" by wayne robbins & the hellsayers will be released..after thousands of dollars (lots of money for us) and botched mixes and missed time, we're releasing an album that was self recorded and engineered by us and morgan kraft and mixed by mitch easter (r.e.m, pavement,etc) and the super furry animals..it's quiet different, but it's definitely waaaay better than the lonesome sea in our eyes, not that we're not proud of that one..anyhoo..will keep you posted and yes, it'll finally be here after we've all been waiting..thanks so much for sticking w/ us and the support....jonas

www.myspace.com/thehellayers

Slosh
01-31-2009, 09:42 AM
yeah, slosh..sorry about the long wait, but in the next few months, "all you need to sleep" by wayne robbins & the hellsayers will be released..after thousands of dollars (lots of money for us) and botched mixes and missed time, we're releasing an album that was self recorded and engineered by us and morgan kraft and mixed by mitch easter (r.e.m, pavement,etc) and the super furry animals..it's quiet different, but it's definitely waaaay better than the lonesome sea in our eyes, not that we're not proud of that one..anyhoo..will keep you posted and yes, it'll finally be here after we've all been waiting..thanks so much for sticking w/ us and the support....jonas

www.myspace.com/thehellsayersAwesome news! I'll pre-order asap!

edit: fixed link :)

N. Abstentia
01-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Gonna be a good year!

New Killswitch Engage, and new Mastodon. Nothing else really matters :)

Stone
02-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Mitch Easter involvement you say? You've definitely got my attention.

Slosh
02-14-2009, 08:17 AM
First spin and so far me likey. :) Anyone else plan on grabbing it?

noddin0ff
02-15-2009, 07:29 AM

Oh oh, you've gotten ahead of me on Robyn et al! The answer...of course I'm getting it. Putting this one on my Amazon list. Thanky for the heads up!

noddin0ff
02-15-2009, 07:33 AM

www.myspace.com/thehellayers

Nice sound on the link. I'll have to check it out. Hopefully you'll post when released?

bobsticks
02-15-2009, 10:04 AM

How's about you tell us, old sport? Your taste usually runs along the same lines as mine, or vice versa. Whatcha think, should I be running out post haste?

noddin0ff
02-15-2009, 11:11 AM
How's about you tell us, old sport? Your taste usually runs along the same lines as mine, or vice versa. Whatcha think, should I be running out post haste?

Amazon says release date is Feb 17. Slosh is, once again, way ahead of the curve...how does he do it?

bobsticks
02-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Cuz Slosh be da mang.

3-LockBox
02-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I got the new Umphrey's McGee and I thinks its stellar. Its the kind of notey, pop/rock that turns my prog crank. Very very well written and performed. Not overtly busy for busy's sake (ala neo-prog). It is more song oriented with some extended (though shortened) playing for good measure. These guys have chops but don't write material for the sake of showing off, they write good songs and the song craft and playing on this album is tight.

3-LockBox
02-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I've heard good things about the new one from John Frusciante. I guess its a theme based album. I've heard some of his other solo stuff and was impressed, but never pulled the trigger. I may on this one.

jonnyhambone
02-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Lovin' Andrew Bird's 'Noble Beast'...feels like a pastoral Radiohead on quite a few songs. and the vinyl sounds lovely - spread out over two albums.
The new Animal Collective is excellent...again, spread out over two lp's with excellent SQ. It's kinda psychedelic-clubby so one album is enough for me in one sitting. Really a great one, though I was already on-board the A.C. wagon. If in doubt, listen to 'My Girls' or 'Brother Sport'.
Speaking of wagons...the Welcome Wagon album is pretty fun. A hubbie/wife team from Brooklyn...who play a lot of ol' timey gospel stuff in their living room. Sufjan Stevens heard them and produced, recorded, played along with, and arranged their tunes for their debut album. Very christian but not really preachy...if you like Sufjan, which I really do, you should check 'em out.
I just saw Antony and the Johnsons last night...Amazing show! He's just incredible. I haven't picked up the new album 'cuz the vinyl's not out for a few more weeks but the ep from last year is gorgeous.
Looking forward to Neko Case and heard there's a new Akron/Family in the works...

Mr MidFi
02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm liking what I'm hearing on that Hellsayers link... thanks for posting, cole. That's you on guitar, correct?

And to shift gears a bit...I'm also liking what I'm hearing from the upcoming Steven Wilson solo effort. It's getting some decent buzz, too.

(And yeah, I'm a stinkin' U2 fanboy from way-the-fark back, so I'll prolly get that too. So sue me.)

noddin0ff
02-17-2009, 07:32 AM

Granted, I'm an unabashed Hitchcock fan, however my preview of Goodnight Oslo indicates that this is a worthy album for 2009. I'll definitely support one of my favorite artists with a purchase. Not as rocking as Ole Tarantula, it comes closer to his work with the Egyptians. But, this band of all stars (R.E.M.) is tighter and has a terrific flair for making good music with Robyn's oddness. Generalizing impression is that this album is Robyn with a touch of Blues. All good. Right now I'm picking What You Is as the winning track to look for on the radio. Who knows though, I'm like 0 for 50 on my own internal running list of predictions.

Sugar Beats
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Hey Mr. MifFi,

Just wanted to throw a "thanks" your way for starting this thread. I wasn't really familiar w/ The Boxer Rebellion or Animal Collective & checked them out. Very nice. Thanks again, Sugar

btw, you get 3 lumps for posting this thread w/ some great music on it!

Slosh
02-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Amazon says release date is Feb 17. Slosh is, once again, way ahead of the curve...how does he do it?It helps to be attractive and charming. :D

Or maybe its because I'm friends with the girl who does the ordering at my neighborhood indie record store? Hmmm . . . .

NP:

Sugar Beats
02-17-2009, 01:29 PM
I've heard good things about the new one from John Frusciante. I guess its a theme based album. I've heard some of his other solo stuff and was impressed, but never pulled the trigger. I may on this one.

I've heard some stuff, so 3LB, do me a favor and lemme know what you think about this one, if you are in favor of it & think it's a good one to acquire.
Thanks!

Mr MidFi
02-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey Mr. MifFi,

Just wanted to throw a "thanks" your way for starting this thread. I wasn't really familiar w/ The Boxer Rebellion or Animal Collective & checked them out. Very nice. Thanks again, Sugar

btw, you get 3 lumps for posting this thread w/ some great music on it!

Thanks yourself, sugar. I'm liking that Boxer Rebellion more every time I hear it.

Someone else mentioned the new Neko Case coming out in a couple weeks...and I'm thinking that's another auto-buy for me.

This is already a better year than 2008.

Pnoom!
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
The new Animal Collective got the year off to a ridiculously good start.

Three other CDs from this year that I would highly recommend:

P.O.S. - Never Better
Very forward thinking and rock-oriented hip-hop.

Antony & the Johnsons - The Crying Light
Another stunningly gorgeous album from Antony & Co. He is gifted with a voice that will break your heart regardless of the words he says.

Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
If Sonic Youth, Pavement, and Built to Spill merged in some sort of cosmic explosion. Very good debut from a band that has a tremendous upside as well.

3-LockBox
02-19-2009, 07:43 PM
If Sonic Youth, Pavement, and Built to Spill merged in some sort of cosmic explosion. Very good debut from a band that has a tremendous upside as well.

That does souond promising. I'll see if a search yeilds any links with samples.

Thanx dood.

3-LockBox
02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I did hear a tad bit of Animal Collective just before I had to leave the record store, and my first reaction was to think of Mercury Rev - is that a fair assessment?

Slosh
02-20-2009, 04:14 AM
If Sonic Youth, Pavement, and Built to Spill merged in some sort of cosmic explosion. Very good debut from a band that has a tremendous upside as well.I hear more Modest Mouse in there than anything else. Oh, and The Wrens too, of course.

Over hyped IMO. While all those influences are there it doesn't come off as a cohesive whole to these ears. It's as if they're trying too hard. Sometimes simple is good. Let the songs build and flow naturally and not try to cram so many different styles into one song just 'cause you can.

In fairness I only listened to it once so I'll need some time to see if it'll grow on me.

Sugar Beats
02-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I did hear a tad bit of Animal Collective just before I had to leave the record store, and my first reaction was to think of Mercury Rev - is that a fair assessment?

Hey 3LB, I ended up grabbing the new Animal Collective...
Thanks. I really like it.

3-LockBox
02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey 3LB, I ended up grabbing the new Animal Collective...
Thanks. I really like it.

I wound up getting it as well - very much akin to the last Grizzly Bears album from 2006 (or was it 2007?) Yellow House. The MercRev similarity is there, but these guys are nowhere near the quirkfest that the Rev was. I've read that there was a new Grizzly Bear album coming out this year. If Animal Collective floats yer boat, then you might want to look up Grizzly Bear.

Mr MidFi
03-03-2009, 11:09 AM
It sucks that I'm sitting here in my office and not lounging at home with a cold beverage and a cranked stereo. Because I just walked away with a nice little load of sonic delights.

The new U2 (yeah, yeah, I know... eat me)
The new Neko Case, Middle Hurricane
The new Steven Wilson solo disc (w/ 24-bit DTS bonus disc), Insurgentes
The new Animal Collective, Merriweather something something
Rush Retrospective 3 w/ bonus DVD

And here's the best part...all this, plus a large bag of Peanut M&Ms, was 100% FREE. I had one of those reward program gift cards from the purchase of my gigantic TV, so why the hell not.

Mr MidFi
03-04-2009, 06:43 AM
It's going to take a while for all of these new ones to sink in properly. And I know December is a long, long way away. But I can already guarantee you that the following tracks will appear on my YEC, when that time comes...

Neko Case -- I'm an Animal
Animal Collective -- Summertime Clothes
Steven Wilson -- Harmony Korine
U2 -- Fez: Being Born
The Boxer Rebellion -- Red Light Means Go
Andrew Bird -- Nomenclature

NP: Steven Wilson -- Insurgentes

3-LockBox
03-04-2009, 11:45 AM
The new Neko Case is very good. Its looking like a great year so far.