The Official Inauguration Thread..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Official Inauguration Thread.....

thekid
01-20-2009, 02:53 AM
Have the embers of November died so quickly????
Where are all those wonderful posts telling us that today is the end of civilization or the beginning of it??

:smile5: :smile5: :smile5: :smile5: :smile5:

Today is a historic day no matter what side of the fence you stand on.

We should all remember our system of government with all its warts is still a wonderful thing and that no matter the events we still have a peaceful transition of power.

I just read the current bio on Andrew Jackson (recommend it BTW) and it reminds me how fragile our democracy once was and how things could have turned out so very different.

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 06:18 AM
Shoulda posted this in "The Steel Cage". :lol:

JSE
01-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Sorry, been working my tail off in anticipation of the increased tax burden that will be forced upon me in order to pay for the ridiculous costs associated with this inauguration. Current estimates are something like 4 times the cost of the last? Fiscal responsibility seems to have slipped Obama's mind.

Ah what the heck, times are good! :mad2:

JohnMichael
01-20-2009, 06:47 AM
I am very excited. I think this is a great time for my country. I will be able to respect the Office of President and the man that holds the office. A day after Dr. Martin Luther King jr's holiday we are inaugurating a man based on the content of his character. Prejudice and hate are slowly fading. One day this will be a nation for all its citizens. Yes a bright new day.

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2009, 06:49 AM
I am stunned, proud, but still cannot get a grasp on what happened last night. America has changed, changed for the good, and I am so.....I am having such a difficult time expressing myself. I never thought in my lifetime I would see a minority, especially an African American EVER be President of this country, but it happened. And it happened with a multi-ethnic coalition, a beautiful combination of so many races, faces, and backgrounds, the true America that this is just stunning to me. I could live a lifetime, but nothing bought me more pleasure than to see my two boys cry in joy over what we witnessed last night. I like this new America, and I am going to take the day off to savor this moment in history.

I was thinking of SirTtT and this post this morning.

As a Canadian, the view that we often get of Americans (and I'm not saying that this is right) is a very moral conservative one. The USA is portrayed as a country that is rife with bigotry of all sorts and has many human rights issues where minorities and those who don't conform to the moral conservative viewpoint don't get equality. I'm not saying that this is true, it's just how the media often portray things.

So, as a Canadian who so often sees and hears about this view of our neighbours to the South, it was a wonderful thing for me to see both a black man and a woman in a race for presidential candidate. And exciting to see a young black man win the presidency over the stereotypical "old boy".

Regardless of what the future brings. Regardless of whether Obama is a good president or not. Regardless of all political views. I see this as a huge step in the right direction and am excited for the possibilities that have been opened up.

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2009, 06:50 AM
I am very excited. I think this is a great time for my country. I will be able to respect the Office of President and the man that holds the office. A day after Dr. Martin Luther King jr's holiday we are inaugurating a man based on the content of his character. Prejudice and hate are slowly fading. One day this will be a nation for all its citizens. Yes a bright new day.

Beautifully stated.

This is the sentiment that I was trying to portray in my post above.

Auricauricle
01-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Dum spiro spero!

Worf101
01-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Marched for Martin yesterday... prayed and cried...
Ducked out of work for 3 hours today... watched the festivities with a bunch of ole.. hippies... we toasted, roasted and cried... Thank God and the Republic for such a momentus day. The Rev. Lowery's closing speech was phenomenal. He said all that needed saying. Barrack looked years older already. Watched Bush's copter take off and then went back to work. As I said before, "only history will tell if today was a great day, but I know for sure, today is a NEW day."

Da Worfster

I guess Dick Cheney WAS "Dr Strangelove" after all....

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Dick pulled a muscle while emptying out his desk, according to the news yesterday. Said he'd have to attend the inauguration in a wheel chair. :nonod:

I guess no one pushed the wheelchair down the steps (ala OJ in the "Police Squad" flick), huh?

JSE
01-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Dick pulled a muscle while emptying out his desk, according to the news yesterday. Said he'd have to attend the inauguration in a wheel chair. :nonod:

I guess no one pushed the wheelchair down the steps (ala OJ in the "Police Squad" flick), huh?

Nope but Kennedy was rushed to the hospital for a seizure or something. I guess Karma is starting smack the lowlife around a bit more.

nightflier
01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Sorry, been working my tail off in anticipation of the increased tax burden that will be forced upon me in order to pay for the ridiculous costs associated with this inauguration. Current estimates are something like 4 times the cost of the last? Fiscal responsibility seems to have slipped Obama's mind.

The whole inauguration celebration was paid for by his supporters, mostly the very rich ones. The performers all volunteered their time (very much unlike the Bush inauguration, where they had to be paid). Aside from the regular ceremony expenses, not a penny more came from the taxpayers.

P.S. We'll be a lot busier paying for Bush's unprecedented spending. So much for conservatives being fiscally responsible....

JSE
01-20-2009, 03:47 PM
The whole inauguration celebration was paid for by his supporters, mostly the very rich ones. The performers all volunteered their time (very much unlike the Bush inauguration, where they had to be paid). Aside from the regular ceremony expenses, not a penny more came from the taxpayers.

Either you are drunk or you just don't what the hell you are talking about.

Only part of the inauguration was paid for by Obama's supporters. About $125 million is being spent by the Fed. Who do you think is paying for all the added security in terms of police, fire, secret service, FBI, municiple services, waste services, etc? Not Obama! We are.

Get a clue!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Inauguration/story?id=6665946&page=1

JSE
01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Funny how not many care about the cost of this inauguration. The hypocrisy is amazing. Just eight years ago, the dems were crying about the cost of the Bush inauguration. His was far less than this one.

If it were McCain up there today spending almost $200 million, the dems would be eating him alive.

Like I mentioned a few months back before the election in another thread, Obama will be just like every other Washington Politician.

Change? I guess spending was not part of "that" change he was referring to.

Nice start!

Auricauricle
01-20-2009, 04:04 PM
For Americans everywhere, today is a most unusual day. For many of us, it is a day of victory and hope. For me it a little of both, and as I sit here typing these words, my sense of grief and joy has engulfed me in an state of perplexity that can only be sorted out through writing about it. On these type-written pages, I do most of my best thinking, for on my feet, I am often tongue-tied and awkward. Here, on the page, as I ponder and consider, I can find my true voice. Here, amid the punctuation and the interplay of sentence and sentiment, I can exorcise the demons that haunt me and court the angels who keep me company. And so I sit, with the demons and angels, a grateful audience to the strange play in my head that is my little world.

As a White Man, I have taken for granted the color of my skin. It has been, and is as important say, as the ten fingers and toes that occupy my hands and feet. I grew up in the American South, a son of educated, nice people. My father is an attorney who practices law, as his father did and his grandfather and great grandfather. My mother’s father was also a lawyer, his father a sheriff. We weren’t rich, but we were comfortable and grew up without need and little want. Like many Southern families, we have an acute knowledge of our histories, a source of pride that can be and was drawn upon when we felt awkwardly “different” from classmates and associates. We learned early to count our blessings and to be mindful of those less fortunate than we, a genuine benevolence that was reinforced by Boy Scouting and enlistment in the military.

That others are differently hued than I has never been an issue that I placed much importance upon. I suppose there were schoolmates and friends who grew up with another point of view, but I grew up learning that the word n******” is an awful one, and I was forbade from using it, let alone thinking it. Occasionally, I would hear my father use the word, but he did not use it in the derogatory sense that is often referred to. In his world, the word was used generically to refer to African Americans in general. Although I cringed at his intonation of the term, I was placated by the fact that I had seen him perform many kindly acts for his brown-skinned country men. These he performed with true genuineness, not as smokescreen to conceal a disingenuous heart.

The fact that I have no conception of skin hue has worked to my disadvantage occasionally, as I suppose it paved the way for obliviousness to issues that are considered with great sensitivity. I cannot readily put my finger on such an example, but I have occasionally let slip with a comment that was thought cute or glib, thinking that the person I was with would appreciate my lampoonish witticism and my intent to barb good naturedly. This teasing has been directed at other persons of various colors, creeds and preferences, and has been, at times poignant and sharp. Because, as I said, I thought that my blindness was obvious, I proceeded thus to make an ass of myself. Funny how blindness and obliviousness are poles apart from one another!

Today I enjoy the friendship of a number of friends, who hearken from a number of lifestyles and heritages, a matter that has enriched my life in ways that cannot be measured. I have confidence that enables me to join nearly any crowd of people with ease, a privilege that I do not take for granted. My people were slave owners, but I am not one and have no conception of what it must be like to own a slave….

So why does the inauguration of Mr. Obama affect me so deeply? Why do I feel a real pang as I see him walk through the street in Washington, his head high and proud? Shouldn’t I be pleasantly content, but not so stricken with this strangeness that overwhelms me?

In the early 1900’s my great, great uncle went to Africa, on an expedition of sorts that took him to the Belgian Congo. There, he met and consorted with the pygmies, whom he wrote about fondly. A few years later, he was prevailed upon to bring a few to the Saint Louis Fair, where they would be shown, with other representatives of folk from around the globe, to admiring fair goers. When, the fair was over, the pygmies were returned to their homes, but one remained. His name was Ota Benga, and he asked to stay in America. His village had been (as I recall) burned down, and his wife was dead from a poisonous snake bite. Because there was nowhere to logically situate a pygmy, Ota was placed in the primate cage at the Bronx Zoo. After the NAACP complained his mistreatment, he was placed in an orphanage where, lonely and depressed, he committed suicide.

I don’t think that my kinsman was malicious when he asked Ota and his countrymen to come to America. I am sure that it was painful for him to see the pygmy jeered at by the goggle-eyed fair and zoo goers who did not comprehend that his teeth were filed for the sake of beauty, not because he was a savage or a cannibal.

The music group Deep Forest composed their first album in homage to the pygmies, and among the many beautifully wrought pieces that fill the discs, are yodels and intonations that, at times, make me weep. I have no reason to feel guilty for Ota’s plight, and I tell myself that I weep because the music is beautiful. But am I really, truly guilty? I do not know.

With these thoughts, with this history, I look upon Obama with reverent awe. I am grateful that I live today to see this sight, this vision that I never anticipated. As a White Man who has seen my fellow Whites scorn their brown hued brothers and sisters, I feel a great sense of satisfaction that is tempered with the sadness of memory and history. As a man who has seen the fruits of ignorance and hate spare no-one, I am in awe.

Dum spiro spero!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8bvq1cyUs&feature=related

nightflier
01-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Only part of the inauguration was paid for by Obama's supporters. About $125 million is being spent by the Fed. Who do you think is paying for all the added security in terms of police, fire, secret service, FBI, municiple services, waste services, etc? Not Obama! We are.

Get a clue!

I do believe I said that part of it was paid for by his supporters.

The cost above & beyond the regular inauguration expenses has been borne by his supporters. And as far as the extra security, I sure as hell expect my tax dollars to be spent there. Among other things, that's what taxes are for: security, police, and peace of mind. And I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind would expect us to skimp on security on this of all days. If something had happened, we would be looking at another 9/11-type embarrassment, even if it did come from within our own borders this time. It doesn't matter who's the next president, the security has to be adequate. Now quit your whining.

Or are you just pissed 'cause your guy didn't win? Well, tough. Live with it. And live with the fact that the vast majority of the people in this country don't agree with you, either.
:prrr:

And as far as liberals being big spenders, which is what you're fishing for, I seriously doubt you can make such a claim after these past 8 years of the worst spending, waste, and corruption we have ever had in a president's term.
:hand:

Feanor
01-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Congradulations to President Obama and to the citizens of the United States. There is good hope that a new page has been turned.

Obama's speech was even beyond my expectations, so comprehensive was its scope and full of candor too. There were a number of sharp shots at the outgoing administration, but none more critical than were deserved.

I was impressed by his words regarding the economy, ".Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age. ...
But our time of standing pat, of protecting narrow interests and putting off unpleasant decisions - that time has surely passed. ...
What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works - ..."

And regarding foreign policy and actions, "As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. ... the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."

Auricauricle
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
...This he said. And some thought the speech uninspired and unmemorable!

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2009, 05:07 PM
...This he said. And some thought the speech uninspired and unmemorable!

I'd like to know, then, what they wanted to hear. I watched the speech live on CNN.com and thought that it was eloquent, covered many bases and it gave me hope for a new political philosophy and a brighter future.

His comment, "...and why a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath. So let us mark this day in remembrance of who we are and how far we have traveled". Brought tears to my eyes.

He appears, to me, to be a man of logic, reason, cool-headedness and, as my husband put it, class. I hope that time proves me right.

nightflier
01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Well at least the Canadians on this board like the man.

bobsticks
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
As I said before, "only history will tell if today was a great day, but I know for sure, today is a NEW day."

To the right, honorable gentleman I say thee, "nay", and repectfully disagree. It is a great day indeed.

For unenlightened caucasians it is both call and response to a national reckoning, an understanding that within all communities there exists both good and evil, the contemptable and commendable, and the ability to achieve greatness when surrounded by open minds...that an African-American gentleman prepared by accomplishment can and should aspire to serve his country with thoughtful determination.

For African-Americans it's the establishment of an ethos and the understanding that racism is not de facto that the sins of the fathers are not of necessity the sins of the sons...that we all have both the capacity and the opportunity to be considered First-Class citizens.

Racsim, sexism, and social discord are not ended but that this could happen validates for the first time that we approach the intents of the greatest aspirations of the Founding Fathers; we do hold some thruths self-evident, that all men (not some or 3/5ths) are created with equal potential and of equal right of opportunity. As a nation we came together and found a man of ethnicity to be closest in character and belief to the heart of our national spirit.

President Obama could not make another speach, not sign any legislation and not confront any of the moral conundrums that face our country and a victory has still been won. That victory's roots lie deepest in the phrase "possibility". I strongly suspect that Dr. King would regard this as great.

Auricauricle
01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Amen!!

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Can I make a typical, for me, simpleton post now?

Auricauricle
01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
No. Only high falutin', high brow posts tonight! :biggrin5:

Aw, WTF! G'wan!

bobsticks
01-20-2009, 06:14 PM
As a Canadian, the view that we often get of Americans (and I'm not saying that this is right) is a very moral conservative one. The USA is portrayed as a country that is rife with bigotry of all sorts and has many human rights issues where minorities and those who don't conform to the moral conservative viewpoint don't get equality. I'm not saying that this is true, it's just how the media often portray things.

Yes, the media both abroad and at home too often portray the American public as a monolithic voice of oppression and bigotry. The results of the election would seem to disprove this but I guarantee that nohing of such will be concentrated on in the press.

The reasons for this are twofold, the first of which is the tendency for ad hominem attacks within our public discourse. When a person of one race criticizes/argues against a person of another race the difference in ethnicities is invariably sited as the primary motive unless the two are familiar.

The second, and we all know this but fail to see its longterm efects, is the pandering of the Fourth Estate to the most base and prurient spirits within us. Headlines are filled with powerful action words..."Outlaw Brutally Slays Brother and Sister"...when was the last time you saw a story in the American News Media based on positivity?

"Deacon's Years of Public Service Celebrated by Congregation"...yeah right.

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
I'll wait 'til our great philosopher, Mr. sticks gets everything he needs to, off his chest.

bobsticks
01-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Me done.

srry

Smokey
01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
I'll wait 'til our great philosopher, Mr. sticks gets everything he needs to, off his chest.

Hope you brought a sleeping bag :D

Auricauricle
01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
I like the Echoes quote, Tex!

JSE
01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I do believe I said that part of it was paid for by his supporters.

Nope you said the "whole" inauguration celebration.

The cost above & beyond the regular inauguration expenses has been borne by his supporters. And as far as the extra security, I sure as hell expect my tax dollars to be spent there. Among other things, that's what taxes are for: security, police, and peace of mind. And I seriously doubt anyone in their right mind would expect us to skimp on security on this of all days. If something had happened, we would be looking at another 9/11-type embarrassment, even if it did come from within our own borders this time. It doesn't matter who's the next president, the security has to be adequate. Now quit your whining.:

No whining here. Just amazed at how the extravagance of this inauguration has seemed to get a pass when this country is in a horrific financial mess. What kind of message has this sent? Granted I guess most don't seem to care. Typical.

I wonder if any of that "Wall Street" money donated buy Obama supporters trickled down from bailing their pathetic asses out?

Or are you just pissed 'cause your guy didn't win? Well, tough. Live with it. And live with the fact that the vast majority of the people in this country don't agree with you, either.
:prrr:

Do you even know who "my guy" was? I did not want either of the candidates in office. I thought they were both bad for this country in terms of their political beliefs. Try again.

The "Vast" Majority? Might want to check the numbers again their flier. Maybe a simple majority but not a vast one.

And as far as liberals being big spenders, which is what you're fishing for, I seriously doubt you can make such a claim after these past 8 years of the worst spending, waste, and corruption we have ever had in a president's term.
:hand:

So let's just give Obama a pass huh? Bush did it so now it's our turn!

I don't like government spending whether it's a product of Bush, Clinton, Obama, Oprah.

My point is this. Obama campaigned on change. So far in his pre inauguration days and today, nothing seems to have changed. DC business as usual. I hope he does well. I really do. I hope he is the best president we have ever had. He is my president and I will support him as such. Of course that does mean I have to always agree with him.

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I'm just glad nobody got shot, and one news report said no one got arrested either. THAT's progress. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Now for the "it's all about me" post...

Do all the upcoming "changes" mean I'm going to get laid this year? :idea:

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 07:20 PM
I like the Echoes quote, Tex!
Me too. A milestone in Pink Floyd's time on our good earth.

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 07:27 PM
A wittle twouble wiff de oaff of office doe. :nonod:

JSE
01-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Change not "Miracle", Rich. :thumbsup:

Just kidding, SugarBeats seems to like ya. :confused5:

Rich-n-Texas
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM
GM's got her eating out of his hand. :rolleyes:

02audionoob
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Change not "Miracle", Rich.

I typed that exact same response and decided I didn't know Rich well enough to engage.:lol:

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 05:17 AM
Hmmm... Seems as though my reputation preceeds me. :idea:

JSE
01-21-2009, 06:22 AM
I typed that exact same response and decided I didn't know Rich well enough to engage.:lol:

Yeah, Rich knows me well enough to know I'm kidding........................................... :confused5:

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 06:42 AM
Like I said in the other thread Cartman, make sure you hear the snap when you open your bottles of shiner. :ihih:

(It already tastes like monkey piss, but I'm just sayin'.)

JSE
01-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Like I said in the other thread Cartman, make sure you hear the snap when you open your bottles of shiner. :ihih:

(It already tastes like monkey piss, but I'm just sayin'.)

Watch your mouth! Monkey piss? Them's fightin' words!

JSE takes a six pack of Dundee Honey Brown off the paint shaker machine, packs it and sends it to Rich.

Sugar Beats
01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
GM's got her eating out of his hand.

Now wait just a minute Rich! That's not entirely true! Only sometimes.
You haven't even tried! Where's your effort man!

I'm just glad nobody got shot, and one news report said no one got arrested either. THAT's progress.

I agree w/ that. My dad was a Secret Service agent for a very long time. There were times when he was off doing his duty, protecting the Pres. and I can recall things were worrisome. Wasn't always sure he was going to make it home.

Also I echo what FA said earlier...
He appears, to me, to be a man of logic, reason, cool-headedness and, as my husband put it, class. I hope that time proves me right.

And I think time will tell.

Pat D
01-21-2009, 08:48 AM

Get a clue!

So, how much did the Bush inaugurations cost? How much was spent by the federal government?

The figures some of the media bandy about for the Bush inauguration in 2005 do not include the costs of security and transportation, whereas the figures for Obama's inauguration (a much bigger event, BTW) do include them. This is hardly fair. Here's a report from 2005:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22427-2005Jan19.html

Here is some comment on the way the media are handling the Obama inauguration expenses.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200901180003

So it does not seem that the expenses for Obama's inauguration are out of line with precedent.

JSE
01-21-2009, 09:51 AM
So, how much did the Bush inaugurations cost? How much was spent by the federal government?

The figures some of the media bandy about for the Bush inauguration in 2005 do not include the costs of security and transportation, whereas the figures for Obama's inauguration (a much bigger event, BTW) do include them. This is hardly fair. Here's a report from 2005:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A22427-2005Jan19.html

Here is some comment on the way the media are handling the Obama inauguration expenses.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200901180003

So it does not seem that the expenses for Obama's inauguration are out of line with precedent.

Bush was also not being inaugurated during the worst economic disaster since the great depression. Obama has made our economic woes his #1 priority. Am I the only one who thinks the money spent on "this" inauguration seems to be excessive during this time? Regardless of who had been elected, if that person has spent this kind of money with our economy in the tank, I would still be blasting him/her. Obama said in several of his recent speeches Americans are going to have to tighten up their belts and make some sacrifices to get through these bad economic times. Well, he has started out by setting a great example. :confused5:

Again, DC business as usual.

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 09:55 AM
GM's got her eating out of his hand.

Now wait just a minute Rich! That's not entirely true! Only sometimes.
You haven't even tried! Where's your effort man!
Ain't no way I'm eating outta GM's hand! No way no how! :nonod:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I was thinking of SirTtT and this post this morning.

FA, thanks for the thought. I spent the entire day with my boys watching the festivities. Looking at that crowd was so moving. Seeing people from all races together crying and celebrating was very moving for me. This is the kind of America I like to see, an America that has not looked like this for a long time. My son Jerry commented that watching the inauguration was like watching the inclusive take the baton from the exclusive. He kept commenting that he wanted to kick the helicopter Bush was in, so it would hurry up and fly away! I just wish my God parents could have been alive to see this. My God mother was in the march at Selma. She was just a very young girl at the time, and I remembered her telling me how scared she was because they didn't know what was going to happen to them. Her stories about southern life used to anger me to no end, but I am thankful that God knew exactly the right time for my birth. I would have been killed if I was around back then.

Both of my sons were happy to see an African American President, but they said they will be really joyous when they see a Latino American President. I told them no doubt we will in my lifetime.

Sugar Beats
01-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Ain't no way I'm eating outta GM's hand! No way no how!

That's funny Rich, GM already told me you had...

more than once too.

01-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Bush was also not being inaugurated during the worst economic disaster since the great depression. Obama has made our economic woes his #1 priority. Am I the only one who thinks the money spent on "this" inauguration seems to be excessive during this time? Regardless of who had been elected, if that person has spent this kind of money with our economy in the tank, I would still be blasting him/her. Obama said in several of his recent speeches Americans are going to have to tighten up their belts and make some sacrifices to get through these bad economic times. Well, he has started out by setting a great example. :confused5:

JSE, I do not know if you heard about the drubbing Carter got for trying to be thrifty during an inauguration. His wife got body slammed for wearing a previously worn dress to the ball. When it comes to these kinds of historical moments, I am less worried about the cost of a one time event, than I am about the greed and selfishness of the American CEO.

Feanor
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Maybe I'm more perverse than people give me credit for. Watching the Inauguration, (I has home sick with a cold -- really), I was brought to mind of the Nuremburg Rally of 1934.

The country in question was still in the mist of the Great Depression, yet a great deal as spend on the Rally; I dare say a great deal more in real-dollar terms than was spent on the 2009 Inauguration. Yet nobody made a fuss about the cost.

By the way, they made a movie of it: check it out some time.

... Triumph of the Will (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_of_the_Will); available from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Triumph-Will-Adolf-Hitler/dp/B000E41MRC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1232564089&sr=1-1) ...

nightflier
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Well Obama did more in his first few hours in office than Bush did the whole of last week, and it's not like he wasn't in a mad rush to get some last minute stuff crammed in. In any case, I think Obama's off to a pretty good start. Even the stock market seems to have rebounded. I'm going to guess that all the Obama-supporting investors were a little too busy partying yesterday to keep the market from sliding, but today they're back in.

Jse,

I also said in the same post "Aside from the regular ceremony expenses, not a penny more came from the taxpayers." My point was that his supporters paid for the lion's share of it. And let's not even try to pin this slander on the Obamas. Barak whore a suit he owns, his kids wore new clothes from, of all places Target, and his wife wore a dress that cost less than $1K. Granted, that's not small change, but compared to the extravagant dresses worn by previous first ladies on inauguration day - Nancy wore a $25K dress that she then never wore again - I think it's fair to say that the Obamas themselves certainly aren't extravagant.

I listened to a few minutes of the conservative talk show hosts this morning (until I almost puked), and they've been harping on how Obama didn't say the oath properly and how he plays Basketball with his body guards or how he can't dance. Let's put aside a minute the question of whether that's a racially-loaded attack. But I don't give a flyin' hoot if he can dunk or dances like a muppet, I care about whether the man can balance a checkbook, can obey the law, can end our wars, and can move people with his speeches, things Bush & McCain were seriously deficient in. Check, check, check, and... check for Obama. But somehow the American media, even the big newspapers seemed to focus on little things.

It's interesting to see how, in contrast to that, the international media is printing long articles about what Obama is going to say about Israel's alleged war crimes, who will replace the American troops in Iraq, and what the details of his economic stimulus package will be. Yesterday I was deeply proud to be an American but today I am reminded of the chasm that Bush's legacy has created between us and the rest of the world. Yesterday I was humbled by the significance of a black man becoming president, but today I am cowed by the enormity of the civil rights mandate he has before him. Yesterday I danced in my living room to the music of Stevie Wonder, but today I still hear the misguided message of 3 Doors Down, and so many others who just don't get that war is not the answer. Yesterday I hugged, joked and bantered with fellow Republican friends, but today I remember why I have disagreed with them on so much.

Anyhow, there's a lot of work still to be done, and not just by the new guy in charge. I like his message of service and I expect that this will help get our country moving again.

nightflier
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the money spent on "this" inauguration seems to be excessive during this time?

Yup.

Not by a long shot. I certainly don't remember the mall looking like that when Bush stole the presidency... even the first time.

JSE
01-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Yup.

That's truly sad. I take my right as an American to question our goverment's actions very seriously.

Not by a long shot. I certainly don't remember the mall looking like that when Bush stole the presidency... even the first time.

Blah, Blah, Blah. Reminds me of your recent words. With one smal edit. :D

Or are you just pissed 'cause your guy didn't win? Well, tough. Live with it. "

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Don't worry JSE, OUR senator denied/delayed Hillary's appointment because of her and Slick Willy's secret dealings with his (What was that charity he and GB senior started?) organization. Something to do with campaign funding? Hilliary's a liar, simple as that.

Woochifer
01-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Ducked out of work for 3 hours today... watched the festivities with a bunch of ole.. hippies... we toasted, roasted and cried... Thank God and the Republic for such a momentus day. The Rev. Lowery's closing speech was phenomenal. He said all that needed saying. Barrack looked years older already. Watched Bush's copter take off and then went back to work. As I said before, "only history will tell if today was a great day, but I know for sure, today is a NEW day."

Great take as usual Worf. This seemed more of a resolute call to action than just a bunch of soaring rhetoric. Definitely felt like the beginning of a new era, and one that I hope can leave the country a better place for my biracial daughter than the one that I was born into.

I guess Dick Cheney WAS "Dr Strangelove" after all....

I actually thought Cheney reminded me more of Davros (the evil megalomaniac scientist from Doctor Who that created the Daleks)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davros

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ac/BleachDavros.jpg/371px-BleachDavros.jpg

nightflier
01-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah. Reminds me of your recent words. With one smal edit. :D

I'm pissed at Bush for what he did these past 8 years. When he started out, no one (including me) knew how badly he was going to screw things up. This joker hadn't even done anything worthy as a governor, so we knew nothing about him. He was Bush senior's son and so we hoped that some of his father's smarts would have rubbed off on him. How we got taken for a ride, huh?

It's one thing to criticize a man when he first walks through your door, because it's all based on appearances, but it's another thing entirely to ask him never to come back, when he finally decides to leave after he rudely crashed the party. In the case of Bush, he didn't just rudely crash the party, he grabbed the a$$ of every woman there, jacked off on your bed, spiked the punch with his puke, and pissed on your shoes when he "relieved" himself in your dog's food bowl.

Bush, don't let that helicopter door hit you in the rear on the way out of here!

thekid
01-21-2009, 04:03 PM
I believe the dying embers have officially re-started and spawned a wild fire...... :D

JSE
01-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Wrong again, JSE

Am I?

So over the last 8 years you came to the conclusion Bush "stole" the election? Took you a while huh?

What I am wrong about? I have the opinion the extravagance of this inauguration was over the top given our horrible economic problems. I don't care who the person getting sworn in was. The only reason I have an issue with Obama on this is because he ran on the promise of change and made the economy his #1 priority. To me and many others it seems like he kindof forgot about that #1 priority. At least until today. And before you go quoting numbers from Bush (x2), Clinton, Carter, and other presidents, I'm talking about this inauguration at this moment in these economic times.

I'll give Obama some credit for a few things he did today. He started the proceedings to close Gitmo and agreed to halt all trials for now. I think this is a wise move. I just hope we don't let some of these terrorists go just to save face. If there is evidence of guilt, send them to trial. He's also issuing an order to freeze pay raises for staff and cabinet members. Another good move. Now let's see if he can freeze Senate and Congress salaries while he's at it. That would be a great achievement and would win points from a "VAST" majority of americans. However, not sure any of those bastards will let that happen though even with a Democratic majority.

I hope he starts working on the economy now. I and many others might not agree with his methods in doing so but he needs to keep his word and get after it.

See, Cartman praised Obama. Again, I hope the guy does a great job. When he does, I will give him credit and applaud him. If he starts to break promises and do things that are not in the best interest of the country, I will call him on it.

And for the record, I am proud our country elected an African American to office. In that regard, I am just as proud as many others. It was truly historic and I think it shows our country has maybe turned the corner a bit in terms of some deep rooted racism. That being said, he is still an elected "politician" and should be viewed as such. In time, I hope he goes against stereotype and does a great job.

Auricauricle
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Ya think they coulda elevated the cannons a bit during the salute. A few inches over, right between the floppy ears and right above the smirk?

bobsticks
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Ya think they coulda elevated the cannons a bit during the salute. A few inches over, right between the floppy ears and right above the smirk?

Speaking of angles, some of the subtle changes made in security were genius. The platform being elevated and further pulled back into the cover of the building behind eliminated 50% of the alley into a potential killzone. It also allowed for the now-traditional bulletproof glass to be at a greater angle of protection potential gallery fire (as well as hiding the teleprompter).

The Sectret Service did some thoughtful work and should be commended.

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Yer talkin' 'bout Cheney. I just know it. :yesnod:

bobsticks
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
...It's one thing to criticize a man when he first walks through your door, because it's all based on appearances...

It really was only a matter of time before something like that saw the light.

Feanor
01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
It's one thing to criticize a man when he first walks through your door, because it's all based on appearances ...

They say in a democarcy the people get the government the deserve. Well looks like it turned out that way.

Bush's NeoCon credentials were well established in 1999. How come an ignorant foreigner like me saw perfectly well that he has going to bngger you guys and the rest of us? Appearances were all you Americans need, but you stupidly chose to ignore every sign.

And as for 2003, shame, shame, shame on you. The world says:dita: except no smirk.

thekid
01-22-2009, 02:17 AM
F

I would agree with you that we get the government we deserve because we elect the people in the first place. As much as I disliked the former administration they were elected (please don't give me the Florida recount lecture again... if Gore carries either his home state or Clinton's he wins...) twice. Historians can debate/decide why that happened such as 9/11 making foreign policy a center piece but it happened. These last 4 for years I found it amusing/frustrating the number of people who hated Bush but when asked who they voted for they either replied -"Not him" or "I did not vote".

It was amazing to see the voter turnout in this past election. It will be interesting to see if people stay involved and we start seeing voter turnout at higher levels in elections w/o two polarizing candidates.

Worf101
01-22-2009, 06:48 AM

Not an effin' chance in hell son...

Da Worfster

Worf101
01-22-2009, 06:55 AM
JSE, you may be a Boosh lover... BUT I still love your pudgy knees anywho... LOL...

That we can be sitting here, having this conversation, in this manner, via this medium... is still a wunnerfull thing to moi.

Da Worfster

JSE
01-22-2009, 07:35 AM
JSE, you may be a Boosh lover... BUT I still love your pudgy knees anywho... LOL...

That we can be sitting here, having this conversation, in this manner, via this medium... is still a wunnerfull thing to moi.

Da Worfster

I knew you would still love me Worf! ;)

BTW, I am no Boosh lover (GW that is). I do think he did some good things during his term but he also did some things that have really knocked our great country down a few pegs. I think Bush is a decent guy that let himself be overly influenced by those around him. In hindsight, I don't think he had to backbone to be a good president. I don't think he was able to break away from the likes of Cheney and Rove. That was a major disappointment to me and many others. I think he could have been a great president if the Iraq war had never come about. I think the interest of others corrupted him. Tha fact that happened, is his biggest flaw IMO.

In regard to Obama, I don't like many of his political beliefs but I am willing to give him a chance to mend some of our problems. I'm not sure the solutions to many of our current problems are as black and white as liberal vs. conservative. I think the entire political system and both parties need a good scrubbing in terms of ethics, greed and general evilness. Liberalism and Conservatism really have nothing to do with that. I think if Obama can "clean" up Washington a bit, that will let us mutually move toward recovering as a country.

I think we should oust the entire congress and senate and start over. The only qualification to run for the vacant seats should be that you have never held a political office, your a US citizen and your are not a felon. That would be some fun!

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 07:37 AM
You send me any shookup Honey Brown's Cartman and you can scratch me offa yer Buddy list!:mad5:

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Not an effin' chance in hell son...

Da Worfster
Another freakin' country heard from. :incazzato:

JSE
01-22-2009, 08:07 AM
You send me any shookup Honey Brown's Cartman and you can scratch me offa yer Buddy list!:mad5:

Another freakin' country heard from. :incazzato:

Grumpy today aren't we? Well we know who "did not" get laid last night! :ciappa:

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 08:45 AM
A cold front will be coming through tonite. That means the wind will be blowing south. :ihih:

GMichael
01-22-2009, 09:30 AM
I don't think I want to know what you are talking about Rich.

kexodusc
01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
A cold front will be coming through tonite. That means the wind will be blowing south. How is that even possible for one person?

JSE
01-22-2009, 09:47 AM
How is that even possible for one person?

Meh, I send "bombs" at Rich all the time durring the summer with the southern winds. I've even shot to the southwest and caught the southern winds to hit our two friends in Cali a few times. A slice if you will. :p

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't think I want to know what you are talking about Rich.
Hint: Taco's GM.

bobsticks
01-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Grumpy today aren't we? Well we know who "did not" get laid last night! :ciappa:
...and the odds-makers take a beating.

kexodusc
01-22-2009, 10:33 AM
They say in a democarcy the people get the government the deserve. Well looks like it turned out that way.

Bush's NeoCon credentials were well established in 1999. How come an ignorant foreigner like me saw perfectly well that he has going to bngger you guys and the rest of us? Appearances were all you Americans need, but you stupidly chose to ignore every sign.

And as for 2003, shame, shame, shame on you. The world says:dita: except no smirk.
I'm disappointed. This is offensive and this level of condescending sand kicking is neither productive nor needed here. Please tone down the rhetoric.

JSE
01-22-2009, 10:55 AM
...and the odds-makers take a beating.

Must......resist........jokes about beating and Rich.....Must resist! :idea:

GMichael
01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm disappointed. This is offensive and this level of condescending sand kicking is neither productive nor needed here. Please tone down the rhetoric.

So, how many Kexticles is he loosing?:yikes:

nightflier
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
JSE,

Let's agree to disagree about the inauguration celebrations. I appreciate you giving Obama a fair shake. Frankly, I rallied behind him, not because he was my ideal candidate, but he was the better candidate left standing after the convention shake-outs, IMO.

One piece of advice: I would not go around using words like "laid" and Rich in sentences that end with :ciappa:.

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Must......resist........jokes about beating and Rich.....Must resist! :idea:
I almost had a wet dream the other night. :yikes:

GMichael
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I almost had a wet dream the other night. :yikes:

Couldn't even get laid in your dreams huh? That's rough.:confused5:

JSE
01-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Couldn't even get laid in your dreams huh? That's rough.:confused5:

.........................:lol:

Poor Rich. I sending him some Shiner to ease his pain.

JSE
01-22-2009, 01:06 PM
JSE,

Let's agree to disagree about the inauguration celebrations. I appreciate you giving Obama a fair shake. Frankly, I rallied behind him, not because he was my ideal candidate, but he was the better candidate left standing after the convention shake-outs, IMO.

One piece of advice: I would not go around using words like "laid" and Rich in sentences that end with :ciappa:.

Ageed. And good advise! :yikes:

GMichael
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Rich. Have you tried any DIY projects?

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
GM, you know I hit that at the last party, but thanks for bringing back sweet memories. :cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 01:30 PM
.........................:lol:

Poor Rich. I sending him some Shiner to ease his pain.
It's because I had to pee Cartman, so shut up!

And keep your Monkey... :biggrin5:

JSE
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
deleted - opened a new thread

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
So this is what you call premature withdrawal: waking up early?

That's the pits, Tex!

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
You tell me psych_nurse. :confused:

GMichael
01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Rich, you put up with way too much abuse. Your day will come sir.

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Ooooh. She cute. Me married. She cute. Me so....married!

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah, no thanks GM. Last time you set me up with Asian cutties they turned out to be underage! :yikes:

Now, on top of everything else, I've been accused of being a child molester! :mad2:

:cryin:

ForeverAutumn
01-22-2009, 05:16 PM
It's because I had to pee Cartman, so shut up!

This is way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information. :shocked:

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Cutties?

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
This is way, way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much information. :shocked:
Yeah? Well, I finally got what you meant by the Stilleto heels remark funny girly. I've shrunk a little since I last measured my height I'll have you know. :nono:

Wait a minute... That doesn't sound too good either does it?

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Cutties?
(sp?)

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah, no thanks GM. Last time you set me up with Asian cutties they turned out to be underage! :yikes:

Yer word, dude-a-reeno!

(Couldja pass the soap?)

thekid
01-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Okay.... based on where this thread has turned the flames are now burning in a different area...... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

:biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm gracefully pulling out of this thread...

Feanor
01-23-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm going to keep my blab shut on political and economic topics for awhile. (Yes, I know, about time. And I won't talk religion either. :D )

I'm lucky and a bit atypical in being able to debate any topic without confusing criticism of my ideas with attacks on me as a person. What I too often forget is that many people just can't distinguish the two. Since I don't want to seem to offend people, I'll just shut up for while.

By the way, please don't construe this as an apology. I'm not apologizing because when I do, people accuse me of being insincere.

ForeverAutumn
01-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Geez, this place is going to get boring.

Luvin Da Blues
01-23-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm going to keep my blab shut on political and economic topics for awhile. (Yes, I know, about time. And I won't talk religion either. :D )

I'm lucky and a bit atypical in being able to debate any topic without confusing criticism of my ideas with attacks on me as a person. What I too often forget is that many people just can't distinguish the two. Since I don't want to seem to offend people, I'll just shut up for while.

By the way, please don't construe this as an apology. I'm not apologizing because when I do, people accuse me of being insincere.

Wise words, Debates on politics, economics or religion are ones that that no one side will ever win.

GMichael
01-23-2009, 06:15 AM

Doesn't seem like an apology to me. Does that mean we're good?:D

Feanor
01-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Doesn't seem like an apology to me. Does that mean we're good?:D

We're good !!! :thumbsup:

kexodusc
01-23-2009, 10:35 AM

Hey Feanor, I hope you'll still provide comments...The discussions are generally interesting and thought provoking and your opinions and sense of history are often fair and accurate. I think people agree with you here as much as they disagree.

I would just ask you try balancing your comments with tolerance and a bit more respect.
I.E., lose words like stupidity, calls for shame, and pair of one fingered salutes. That stuff goes beyond the realm of debate, and approaches slander. You can say that the US shouldn't have picked Bush without calling them stupid, ya know? I know we all get emotional or excited at times, but your message gets lost in the scorn, diluted by bias, and such rhetoric can't help but be offensive, intended or not.

FWIW I'd suspect no less than 50% of Americans share many of your opinions, and certainly the US wouldn't be the only country in North America to have a bad leader who got in with less than half the popular vote. :D ($64 billion deficit? what happened to that $100 million dollar surplus, we were promised in October anyway?)

No hard feelings...

Feanor
01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
and certainly the US wouldn't be the only country in North America to have a bad leader who got in with less than half the popular vote. :D ($64 billion deficit? what happened to that $100 million dollar surplus, we were promised in October anyway?)

You're right about that! :yesnod:

nightflier
01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
All that being said, I think it bears reminding that we Americans are not that knowledgeable about the world outside our borders. Whether this is a cumulative failure of several decades of chipping away at education, or that the news outlets are just not reporting real news anymore, or simply that we are no longer interested, it is still a fact that we are slipping. The test scores of high school graduates in this country are now some of the lowest in the Westernized world. Adults are probably not far behind. Even College graduates are severely deficient in anything outside their majors. The point being that it would be a fallacy to presume that this does not affect our voting habits.

These factors also pose severe restrictions on our ability to lead, innovate, and maybe even survive as a world superpower. Military might can only go so far in maintaining that supremacy. At some point, our generals need the smarts to make the right decisions too. So it is with some anticipation that most of us should interpret a new direction for education in this country. Simply put, what we've had hasn't worked, folks.

The Bush Jr. administration deserves criticism for failing to address this effectively, and we as a nation deserve some rebuke for letting him get away with doing this for two terms straight. You can say what you want about Clinton and Carter years, but test scores rose by the end of their administrations while they fell by the end of the Reagan and Bush administrations. This doesn't give anyone the right to call us all stupid and raise middle fingers, especially since many good people tried to combat these trends during the down years. But it also does not acquit us all of blame. As voters, we all had a hand in it, myself included.

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey Feanor, I hope you'll still provide comments...The discussions are generally interesting and thought provoking and your opinions and sense of history are often fair and accurate. I think people agree with you here as much as they disagree.

I would just ask you try balancing your comments with tolerance and a bit more respect.
I.E., lose words like stupidity, calls for shame, and pair of one fingered salutes. That stuff goes beyond the realm of debate, and approaches slander. You can say that the US shouldn't have picked Bush without calling them stupid, ya know? I know we all get emotional or excited at times, but your message gets lost in the scorn, diluted by bias, and such rhetoric can't help but be offensive, intended or not.

FWIW I'd suspect no less than 50% of Americans share many of your opinions, and certainly the US wouldn't be the only country in North America to have a bad leader who got in with less than half the popular vote. :D ($64 billion deficit? what happened to that $100 million dollar surplus, we were promised in October anyway?)

No hard feelings...
I think kex, as always, hit the nail square on the head with every statement here.

kexodusc
01-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not one to be too critical here, in person I've been guilty of foot-in-mouth far too often. I know how easy it is to get carried away without intent to harm.
Nobody's perfect.

Auricauricle
01-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I continue to put my foot in my mouth, but I still love a good thick, juicy steak now 'n then...

02audionoob
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Wise words, Debates on politics, economics or religion are ones that that no one side will ever win.

No one ever wins a debate on solid state vs. tubes, either.

bobsticks
01-23-2009, 05:29 PM

Yeah, Kex hit it on the head, it's the ad hominems that cross the line. Feanor, you seem to me like a cat I could sit down with, throw some Bach on the Maggies, have a cup o' joe, and argue all day long--and probably have a fine time doing it. While often nettlesome on a personal level you never engage in an uninformed argument. I respect that.

At the same time folks have different perspectives and have seen different things that are formative of their opinions and practices. Even Americans. Perhaps one of the consequences of being relatively prosperous, free and alive all at the same time is that you have take a certain amount of crap from the rest of the world. It ust gets a little difficult when often times (though not in your case) it's the same people that have their hands out. The cumulative effect can be upsetting.

You and I rarely agree on the role of government or taxation. Fine. I suspect your view might be different if you were in America paying over sixty percent of what you make into a system from which you derive no greater utility that the vast majority who pay nothing. I italicized "in America' because it's an important qualifier. If you want to see shameful waste spend some time perusing this old chestnut: http://www.cfda.gov/

Americans are often one issue voters. The problem arises in that there are only two parties with fairly different agendas. I suspect if you polled us you'd find that an overwhelming majority would be in favor of either scrapping the system or bolstering the ability of third parties to make some headway. Perhaps the most recent voter turnout is indicative of a trend toward progressive political involvement. In any case, too often the choice boils down to the lesser of two evils or the least ugly sister. That diversity can make for strange bedfellows.

The point is, Bill Bailey, you seem like a good character and I'd hate to see your involvement lessen. I enjoy our occassional jousts and always learn from the different perspoective. We might disagree but you remind me, from time to time, that I need to be grateful for who I am, where I'm from, and my place in this world...and, yeah, maybe I need to enhance my calm and be more mindful of my fellow man...just don't call me names while I'm doing it.

Peace,
Sticks

Auricauricle
01-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Beautifully said, 'Sticky Man!

Luvin Da Blues
01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Beautifully said, 'Sticky Man!

He haz a wae wid da werds, don't he.

JM & Mr.P, does he talk this eloquently in person??? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Pat D
01-23-2009, 07:00 PM

There were quite a few people in the capitol for Obama's inauguration, so with that in mind, the expenses don't seem so out of line.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics/AP/story/865947.html

01-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, Kex hit it on the head, it's the ad hominems that cross the line. Feanor, you seem to me like a cat I could sit down with, throw some Bach on the Maggies, have a cup o' joe, and argue all day long--and probably have a fine time doing it. While often nettlesome on a personal level you never engage in an uninformed argument. I respect that.

At the same time folks have different perspectives and have seen different things that are formative of their opinions and practices. Even Americans. Perhaps one of the consequences of being relatively prosperous, free and alive all at the same time is that you have take a certain amount of crap from the rest of the world. It ust gets a little difficult when often times (though not in your case) it's the same people that have their hands out. The cumulative effect can be upsetting.

You and I rarely agree on the role of government or taxation. Fine. I suspect your view might be different if you were in America paying over sixty percent of what you make into a system from which you derive no greater utility that the vast majority who pay nothing. I italicized "in America' because it's an important qualifier. If you want to see shameful waste spend some time perusing this old chestnut: http://www.cfda.gov/

Americans are often one issue voters. The problem arises in that there are only two parties with fairly different agendas. I suspect if you polled us you'd find that an overwhelming majority would be in favor of either scrapping the system or bolstering the ability of third parties to make some headway. Perhaps the most recent voter turnout is indicative of a trend toward progressive political involvement. In any case, too often the choice boils down to the lesser of two evils or the least ugly sister. That diversity can make for strange bedfellows.

The point is, Bill Bailey, you seem like a good character and I'd hate to see your involvement lessen. I enjoy our occassional jousts and always learn from the different perspoective. We might disagree but you remind me, from time to time, that I need to be grateful for who I am, where I'm from, and my place in this world...and, yeah, maybe I need to enhance my calm and be more mindful of my fellow man...just don't call me names while I'm doing it.

Peace,
Sticks

I hope you run for President. Can I be your Chief of Staff? Very well said!

bobsticks
01-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I hope you run for President. Can I be your Chief of Staff? Very well said!

Bro-o'-mine, I coudn't even make it through the first round of questioning unless it was some kind of atavistic, third party Freak Power endeavor...

...but should it come to pass, you're the man with the plan.

Feanor
01-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Yeah....
Even Americans. Perhaps one of the consequences of being relatively prosperous, free and alive all at the same time is that you have take a certain amount of crap from the rest of the world
Peace,
Sticks

I think there is a certain analogy between attaching a person's ideas and attaching him/her personally, and attacking the policies of the U.S. government and attacking American as a nation.

I've tried with limited success to point out that I greatly respect the American nation while despising the Federal administration, the most recent one in particular. A lot of people outside the U.S. feel that way. And bear in mind the the U.S. is the elephant in the room: almost every area of government policy affects the rest of the world to some degree.

Given the diversity of opinion within the U.S. itself, its seems irrational that quite a few Americans so resent any & all external criticism of its government's policies.

02audionoob
01-25-2009, 08:40 AM
We're all fond of analogies in this forum, so how about this one...An outsider criticizes your brother. Says he's arrogant, narrow-minded and nosy. How do you feel about that? More than one person in this forum chooses his words very carefully and posts replies that require me to use the "define:" command in the Google search box. But I'll just say what's on my mind...thesaurus or not.

People outside the US and even some inside the US criticize our government in a way that certainly sounds like a criticism of all of us. ForeverAutumn wrote in this forum that the Canadian media presents a certain image of Americans that doesn't sound like something that would make me proud. Our reputation precedes us in probably every country in the world. When I walk into any place outside the US I sometimes wonder...have they spotted me?

I saw earlier in this thread what read like an apology by an American for the level of education in the US. Fine...so a kid in Texas can't find Norway on a map. OK...he can't find Kansas on a map. We are who we are. We don't have a responsibility to the entire world to educate our children. We owe it to ourselves to educate our children. Although I live in a red state, I'm a college-educated urban-dweller. As demographics would predict, my political leanings are leftward. So you'd probably think I'm appalled at the state of education, especially in my home state. Well, maybe. Maybe not. Does the grapefruit farmer in the Rio Grande Valley need an education for the US to prosper? I doubt it. Will he be unhappy because of his lack of education? I doubt it. I've got fairly close experience with the education thing, being the first man on my mother's side of the family to go to college. I'm proud of my family and we're all proud to be Americans. And no...we can't find Norway on a map.

Grendel2000
01-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I suppose this is a good time to introduce myself.

I have known "Mr. Sticks" <cough, chortle, snicker> since we were young lads. In fact, I've known the man since around the fifth grade and we were best friends for a goodly portion of that time. We recently reconnected after about a 14 year absence - it was me he was visiting when we went to Mr. P's place to check out his system (Hello Mr. P! Thanks for the hospitality!).

All I'll say is that "Bob" is an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded by a mystery. Sometimes I've thought he may be the Devil himself but lately I think he may be working for the other side after all (one can hope, right?). He's one of the smartest, most interesting people I've ever met and I'm sure you already realize that you're lucky to have him here.

That being said - HE WILL NEVER BE PRESIDENT! Just trust me on this one folks. NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

With that said, and a hearty hello to all, I will open the floor to questions regarding the semi-mythical "Mr. Sticks". I shall answer them to the best of my ability, keeping in mind of course that I am not known for my objectivity or truthfulness.

:devil:

WHOOPS!

Bob left himself logged in on my machine when he was here - The previous post should have been from MY account!

Many apologies!

bobsticks
01-25-2009, 02:49 PM
WHOOPS!

Bob left himself logged in on my machine when he was here - The previous post should have been from MY account!

Many apologies!

Hey Slapnuts,

Give me a call....and stop stealin' my schwagg...

nightflier
01-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Slapnuts? Been listening to AC/DC again, huh?

BTW, Sticks, that was a mighty long post (not your usual fare).

GMichael
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Styx has been a victim of the latest new crime wave called, accidental identity theft. It's all the rave these days.

Auricauricle
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
From the looks of it, he's become...me!

Oh, God....That means....(Gasp!)

Grendel2000
01-26-2009, 03:56 PM
What have I gotten myself into?

Heh...

Auricauricle
01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Better look before ya leap, G!

Grendel2000
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm not known for that - hence the lumpy head and many scars...

Auricauricle
01-26-2009, 04:59 PM
You get used to it.....And you keep divin' fer more!

bobsticks
01-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Slapnuts? Been listening to AC/DC again, huh?

BTW, Sticks, that was a mighty long post (not your usual fare).

Where were you during the "Let's Talk About Gas..." debates? Hell, I was writin' books on them there pages.

Sadly, I rarely have time to post at any length any more so it's usually gotta be some whiplash screed thrown together quickly at the last minute. Half my posting recently has been from my phone, which isn't easy but it keeps me connected around here.

bobsticks
01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm not known for that - hence the lumpy head and many scars...

To this I can attest.

Rich-n-Texas
01-27-2009, 05:21 AM
I am REALLY confused. I don't know who's who anymore. :crazy:

GMichael
01-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I am me.
You are you.
They are them.
And we are us.

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
"I am REALLY confused. I don't know who's who anymore. "

Will the real Robert Twig please stand up.

Rich-n-Texas
01-27-2009, 07:17 AM
I know who I am, but that's where it ends. There's a sticks here, but there's also a Styx, Grendel2000 is friend of sticks (Sticky Bobby) but Aa says he is Grendel. And now who the frick is Robert Twig?! :mad2:

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2009, 08:01 AM
.......And now who the frick is Robert Twig?! :mad2:

bob sticks = Robert Twig, Get it?

Rich-n-Texas
01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Got it! Thanks, that eliminates some of the confusion. :yesnod:

bobsticks
01-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm bobsticks and you're not.

GMichael
01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
You are Styx, not Sticks. And Bob is a guy in the ocean.

bobsticks
01-27-2009, 01:39 PM
No... Styx is styx... I'm sicks...

...who's on first?

GMichael
01-27-2009, 01:44 PM
No... Styx is styx... I'm sicks...

...who's on first?

Yeah, your sick(s) alright. Just throw the ball to Naturally.

Auricauricle
01-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I know you am. So who are I?

Rich-n-Texas
01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm uncomfortable with the directions this thread has taken. :out:

Auricauricle
01-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Feelin' a bit drawn out and unravelled, old boy?

bobsticks
01-28-2009, 07:38 AM
That wealthy guy needs SVI to come up in here and enhance his calm.

Rich-n-Texas
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
I have regained confidence with the direction this thread is now taking.

Auricauricle
01-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Ababagudabaga....

01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
How's this direction for ya Mr. Rich?

She's been askin' how you been doin' sinse the last party. Maybe you should return some of her calls.

Consiga sus patas sucias del hombre de bebé. She not ask for the Rich Texas type individual, she need to come to papi:devil:

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 05:18 AM
Everybody GET OUT OF MY THREAD!!! :incazzato:

GMichael
01-29-2009, 06:01 AM
OK, I'm gone.

02audionoob
01-29-2009, 06:05 AM
May we stay if we keep it on topic?

GMichael
01-29-2009, 06:19 AM
May we stay if we keep it on topic?

What do you say Rich?

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
What do you say Rich?
I have to go to the bathroom now. :o

GMichael
01-29-2009, 07:36 AM
T.m.i.....!!!

nightflier
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
OK, I know LOL, LMFAO, and others, but t.m.i?

Or is this another one of those Rob Twig moments that's going to make me look stupid?

GMichael
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Too
Much
Information

(from Rich)

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh. I thought TMI stood for Three Mile island. I was concerned there was going to be another meltdown. :eek6:

GMichael
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Oh. I thought TMI stood for Three Mile island. I was concerned there was going to be another meltdown. :eek6:

Just go back and wash your hands.

Auricauricle
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Durn it, dudes, you done got mah keys all sticky!

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Keys? Wot keys?

GMichael
01-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Are you staring at my flower again?

Auricauricle
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
nightflier, have you heard of the Urban dictionary? It's on the Web and a great way to decipher these crazy anagrams and current slang....

Rich: What keys? How 'bout mah Shift Key for a start?

GMichael: How could I not....Are ya bipetal?

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
What you do with your shift key is your business. :yesnod:

GMichael
01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
I thought that you weren't going to post in these types of threads anymore.

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah, what's your deal Aa? :rolleyes:

Auricauricle
01-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Wha....Whaddido?

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I dunno. Ask GM. He started it!

GMichael
01-30-2009, 01:23 PM
And now it's off and running.

Auricauricle
01-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Huh? Wha...? I ain't slept in 32 hours, man. Whaddyou expeck?

nightflier
01-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Auric, I sure know about the Urban Dictionary, and I have to say there's a whole lot there that's of a more prurient nature than I thought I ever knew about. Definitely a website to filter out of the kid's computer....

Tex, GM, I'm sure that raised an eyebrow or two, so I'll spare you the Google search:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

GMichael
01-30-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure if I should feel bad or not.

Auricauricle
01-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh, Gawd....Somebody get the man a beer!

GMichael
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
I feel better now.

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2009, 03:01 PM
BEER?!?!?!

Gimmie one!