Zu Cable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Zu Cable

Bill L
03-15-2004, 03:45 PM
http://www.zucable.com/cable/index.html

Here's a company with some excellent product. I've never really believed a power cord could make a difference for obvious reasons. Just doesn't make sense. But with a 60 day money back guarantee, who am I to judge w/o giving it a try? So I did. Nevermind the suggested retail - this company thrives on ebay and there are some excellent deals to be had. So the cord arrived (BoK model) and down I sat with the newly corded amp, ready to roll my eyes and send it back with a polite no thank you. Was I ever wrong. The results were something else. The images must have been smeared prior, because now everything was crisp and in place like never before. Tighter bass, more detail and air. And all this with negative expectations, no less. In fact, I was so impressed that I bid on and won a biwire pair of WAX model speaker cables to replace my old AQ Indigo biwire.
Holy cow Batman! These cables literally transformed my system. The character of this cable is a solid bass foundation with highlighted upper mids and a sparkling top end. It was like having stuck tubes in the output stage without the fuzzy bass (after they broke in about 40 hours, that is - it was real fuzzy at first). Which brings me to another unfathomable truth - cable break-in. Yes these did, end of story. No way are these cables going back, they are awesome!

Alesis Masterlink hi res burner
VPI HW-19mk4 w SAMA, Digital drive, JMW 10' arm, Ortofon mc-25fl
Meridian 506 cd
Legend Audio Design 'Le Maas' IC's to
ARC sp-9 mk3 w Telefunken 6922 line, Siemens 6922 phono
AQ Ruby IC's to
Classe ca-201 main
Vandersteen 3a speakers
Sonex room treatment, nearfield listening.

okiemax
03-16-2004, 12:50 AM

Here's a company with some excellent product. I've never really believed a power cord could make a difference for obvious reasons. Just doesn't make sense. But with a 60 day money back guarantee, who am I to judge w/o giving it a try? So I did. Nevermind the suggested retail - this company thrives on ebay and there are some excellent deals to be had. So the cord arrived (BoK model) and down I sat with the newly corded amp, ready to roll my eyes and send it back with a polite no thank you. Was I ever wrong. The results were something else. The images must have been smeared prior, because now everything was crisp and in place like never before. Tighter bass, more detail and air. And all this with negative expectations, no less. In fact, I was so impressed that I bid on and won a biwire pair of WAX model speaker cables to replace my old AQ Indigo biwire.
Holy cow Batman! These cables literally transformed my system. The character of this cable is a solid bass foundation with highlighted upper mids and a sparkling top end. It was like having stuck tubes in the output stage without the fuzzy bass (after they broke in about 40 hours, that is - it was real fuzzy at first). Which brings me to another unfathomable truth - cable break-in. Yes these did, end of story. No way are these cables going back, they are awesome!

Meridian 506 cd
AQ Ruby IC's to
Classe ca-201 main
Vandersteen 3a speakers

You may take some heat from the naysayers on this one. You likely will get the same tired old question about whether you can verify your hearing claims with the results of a double-blind test. If you are like me and probably 99% of others who have related their experiences with cables here on the Cable Forum, you do not have the means to do controlled testing in your home. Since the naysayers know you don't have the means, what is the point of their asking ? I will leave that for them to explain.

Some also may say that since you have made a claim about what you hear, the burden of proof is on you to verify it through testing. I think they forget this is THE CABLE FORUM, where members are free to talk about their experiences with cables without obligation. Members should also feel free to relate these experiences without being told in effect "you think you heard it, but we know better " and "you must be stupid or gullible."

But the fact is listeners who make claims about cables here frequently are harassed, which I am sure discourages posts. I am pleased that you didn't let the thought of being harassed stop you from telling about your Zu cables. Your post is refreshing.

pctower
03-16-2004, 04:34 AM
You may take some heat from the naysayers on this one. You likely will get the same tired old question about whether you can verify your hearing claims with the results of a double-blind test. If you are like me and probably 99% of others who have related their experiences with cables here on the Cable Forum, you do not have the means to do controlled testing in your home. Since the naysayers know you don't have the means, what is the point of their asking ? I will leave that for them to explain.

Some also may say that since you have made a claim about what you hear, the burden of proof is on you to verify it through testing. I think they forget this is THE CABLE FORUM, where members are free to talk about their experiences with cables without obligation. Members should also feel free to relate these experiences without being told in effect "you think you heard it, but we know better " and "you must be stupid or gullible."

But the fact is listeners who make claims about cables here frequently are harassed, which I am sure discourages posts. I am pleased that you didn't let the thought of being harassed stop you from telling about your Zu cables. Your post is refreshing.

Very well said.

I've tried to think of something I could add to reinforce your points, but you said it so well there's nothing I can think of to add.

E-Stat
03-16-2004, 06:01 AM
Very well said.

I've tried to think of something I could add to reinforce your points, but you said it so well there's nothing I can think of to add.
I'm just waiting for the ever illuminating comments from our resident ditch digger.

rw

FLZapped
03-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Meridian 506 cd
AQ Ruby IC's to
Classe ca-201 main
Vandersteen 3a speakers

Well, I agree with them on one point:

Zu is committed to reinvent the way you see sound

-Bruce

pctower
03-16-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm just waiting for the ever illuminating comments from our resident ditch digger.

rw

These guys are the most crooked, you know, lying group I've ever seen....

OPPS! HEY YOU OVER THERE - TURN OFF THAT MICROPHONE.

mtrycraft
03-16-2004, 04:18 PM
You may take some heat from the naysayers on this one. You likely will get the same tired old question about whether you can verify your hearing claims with the results of a double-blind test.

Why would the questions change from day to day?

If you are like me and probably 99% of others who have related their experiences with cables here on the Cable Forum, you do not have the means to do controlled testing in your home.

Why don't you? It doesn't take any expenditure of funds. It takes a bit of effort and a person to change cables when you leave the room, and keep score.

Since the naysayers know you don't have the means, what is the point of their asking ? I will leave that for them to explain.

So you just accept any claim then?

Some also may say that since you have made a claim about what you hear, the burden of proof is on you to verify it through testing. I think they forget this is THE CABLE FORUM, where members are free to talk about their experiences with cables without obligation.

No one is stifled. Just asked some difficult questions to ponder.

Members should also feel free to relate these experiences without being told in effect "you think you heard it, but we know better " and "you must be stupid or gullible."

You really think we called anyone stupid for making claims? Please don't exagerate like that.

But the fact is listeners who make claims about cables here frequently are harassed,

Asking difficult questions is harassing?

mtrycraft
03-16-2004, 04:26 PM

Meridian 506 cd
AQ Ruby IC's to
Classe ca-201 main
Vandersteen 3a speakers

very low audiogenic distortion

What is this? A new form of distortion? Their marketeers should get the prize for imagination.

No different from any cable claims. All the same old tired claims of magic, voodoo, wonder of wonders. Expensive jewelry.

Tony_Montana
03-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Was I ever wrong. The results were something else. The images must have been smeared prior, because now everything was crisp and in place like never before. Tighter bass, more detail and air.

Obviously somebody didn't do their homework since all of the mentioned benefits can be had with slight speaker placements adjustments. And it is free :)

okiemax
03-17-2004, 12:55 AM
You may take some heat from the naysayers on this one. You likely will get the same tired old question about whether you can verify your hearing claims with the results of a double-blind test.

Why would the questions change from day to day?

If you are like me and probably 99% of others who have related their experiences with cables here on the Cable Forum, you do not have the means to do controlled testing in your home.

Why don't you? It doesn't take any expenditure of funds. It takes a bit of effort and a person to change cables when you leave the room, and keep score.

Since the naysayers know you don't have the means, what is the point of their asking ? I will leave that for them to explain.

So you just accept any claim then?

Some also may say that since you have made a claim about what you hear, the burden of proof is on you to verify it through testing. I think they forget this is THE CABLE FORUM, where members are free to talk about their experiences with cables without obligation.

No one is stifled. Just asked some difficult questions to ponder.

Members should also feel free to relate these experiences without being told in effect "you think you heard it, but we know better " and "you must be stupid or gullible."

You really think we called anyone stupid for making claims? Please don't exagerate like that.

But the fact is listeners who make claims about cables here frequently are harassed,

Asking difficult questions is harassing?

No, blinded testing is not easy to do. Double-blind tests require special equipment. Single-blind tests require skilled assistance from another person, and are subject to accusations of bias. I can't recall ever reading a post from a member who complied with your request to verify his claim with a blinded test. If it were so easy to do, we should see a lot of them. Or perhaps the lack of such replies, indicates posters are offended by being challenged to prove they aren't just fooling themselfs.

I am not saying you should keep your beliefs to your self. Some posts on this forum invite you to argue your position. I have started threads on controversial subjects, and I have participated in many others. These debates can be stimulating, and seem to satisfy some need to argue. And, I occasionally learn something new. However, I don't know what purpose is served by heckling a person who is just telling about his experiences with a cable.

maxg
03-17-2004, 03:51 AM
A 60 day money back guarantee is most impressive. There are not too many audio products of any kind that offer that kind of coverage. Ultimately then, it is up to the individual buyer to decide what if any difference the said cables make to their system, their ears etc. etc.

Pretty much as it should be. If you feel you need to perform a DBT there is plenty of time to do it. If you feel you are happy with sighted testing, or no actual testing then so be it.

Nice to see a cable company that, certainly on the face of it, genuinely believes in their own product and leaves you to decide if you agree with them.

A win win situation - congratulations on your purchase.

markw
03-17-2004, 05:00 AM
No, blinded testing is not easy to do. Double-blind tests require special equipment. Single-blind tests require skilled assistance from another person, and are subject to accusations of bias. I can't recall ever reading a post from a member who complied with your request to verify his claim with a blinded test. If it were so easy to do, we should see a lot of them. Or perhaps the lack of such replies, indicates posters are offended by being challenged to prove they aren't just fooling themselfs.

I am not saying you should keep your beliefs to your self. Some posts on this forum invite you to argue your position. I have started threads on controversial subjects, and I have participated in many others. These debates can be stimulating, and seem to satisfy some need to argue. And, I occasionally learn something new. However, I don't know what purpose is served by heckling a person who is just telling about his experiences with a cable.

Yes, it does require the assistance of another person and a willingness to be honest with oneself. I did one with a friend a few years ago and was quite surprised that after several weeks of testing (not a rigid test, mind you) my hit average between the speaker cables was right about 50%, or totally inconclusive.

Thoes "glaring diffferences" I heard when initially putting them in the system quickly disappeared when not aware of what I was listening to. A lot of those "tremendous improvements" the new speaker cables made were in the old cables all along! I just never had the initiative to listen for the.

Oh well. I guess I'm either deaf or my equipment isn't up to it.

It seems that even single blind testing is shunned here, even for one's personal edification. I wonder why? I guess people aren't curious enough to take the Pepsi challange for themselves.

markw
03-17-2004, 05:55 AM
These guys are the most crooked, you know, lying group I've ever seen....

OPPS! HEY YOU OVER THERE - TURN OFF THAT MICROPHONE.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEE.... Hey, is this mic on? tap.. tap...

Bill L
03-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Obviously all of the mentioned benefits can be acheived in many ways. No, the 100 lb. spiked speakers were not moved, even accidentally. On a side note , I did de-ox and treat all the system connections - including the old speaker cables - before the new cable arrived just to be sure that wasn't a factor. And, yes, since you've never seen or heard my system I would have to agree that someone has done no homework at all and is very prone to jumping to conclusions.

mtrycraft
03-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Double-blind tests require special equipment.

Only to expidite the switching process, keeping tally. You can have someone switch, record what it in play, leave the room making sure no telltale sign is visible to give away which is playing and the listener returns. No exchange of info between subjects, so the subject doesn't know. You can have an administrator to facilitate who doesn't know either, making it DBT.

I can't recall ever reading a post from a member who complied with your request to verify his claim with a blinded test. If it were so easy to do, we should see a lot of them. Or perhaps the lack of such replies, indicates posters are offended by being challenged to prove they aren't just fooling themselfs.

Just because you didn't read one is not a cause and effect deal. Maybe no one was willing to chance it, or was interested in the truth, or any other excuse. Certainly no indication of difficulty.

However, I don't know what purpose is served by heckling a person who is just telling about his experiences with a cable.

A reminder that what seems to be one thing may be totally another. Not hackling, just a reality check, a reminder?

mtrycraft
03-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Nice to see a cable company that, certainly on the face of it, genuinely believes in their own product and leaves you to decide if you agree with them.

A win win situation - congratulations on your purchase.

A guarantee is not an indication of a belief in their own product anymore than a lack of such guarantee is an indication of a disbeliefe in their own products.

Is there a restocking fee? Some charge a fee. They also rely on well known human nature that such a guarantee will sell more cables no matter what else.

mtrycraft
03-17-2004, 07:55 PM
It seems that even single blind testing is shunned here, even for one's personal edification. I wonder why? I guess people aren't curious enough to take the Pepsi challange for themselves.

I have an audiophile friend who used to write for a small outfit. He told me once - what would he tell readers if he couldn't hear differences under such a test which I was willing to do with him. Fear of the unknown.

mtrycraft
03-17-2004, 07:59 PM
And, yes, since you've never seen or heard my system I would have to agree that someone has done no homework at all and is very prone to jumping to conclusions.

Conclusions? There is no evidence for audible diffeerences in comparable cables. No conclusion needs to be jumped on. Why would you be an exception after all these years?

okiemax
03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Yes, it does require the assistance of another person and a willingness to be honest with oneself. I did one with a friend a few years ago and was quite surprised that after several weeks of testing (not a rigid test, mind you) my hit average between the speaker cables was right about 50%, or totally inconclusive.

Thoes "glaring diffferences" I heard when initially putting them in the system quickly disappeared when not aware of what I was listening to. A lot of those "tremendous improvements" the new speaker cables made were in the old cables all along! I just never had the initiative to listen for the.

Oh well. I guess I'm either deaf or my equipment isn't up to it.

I suspect you have been influenced by a bad placebo. Placebos are supernatural invisible little critters that sit on your shoulder and try to influence your thinking. If you could actually see them,the angelic looking placebo perched on your right shoulder might remind you of Jon Risch. He whispers in your ear words of encouragement about your new cables, such as "the added detail is delightful" and "just listen to the weight of that bass."

In contrast, the placebo clinging to your left shoulder looks like a miniature mtrycraft, except for the horns and tail, and tries to rob you of your pleasure by making negative comments, such as " Ah, don't kid yourself buddy, all that crap sounds the same" and "how would a loser like you know what sounds good anyway." You probably have listened too much to that bad placebo, and consequently have lost confidence in yourself. Remember, the power of suggestion does not choose sides.

So what should you do now? I don't know, it may be too late. Exorcism is unlikely to cure your condition. I guess if I was unfortunate enough to be in your shoes, I would sell my hifi gear and go live in a monastery, and hope I would eventually feel confident in my judgement again. One thing is for sure. I would NEVER NEVER second guess myself with blinded testing again. That would be like rolling out the red carpet for that bad placebo.

Please don't be offended by my lame attempt at humor. My excuse is I was influenced by skeptic's recent analogy involving audiophile cables and Sherman tanks powered by lawn-mower engines.

Seriously, it's OK with me if your opinion about an audiophile cable differed before and after blinded testing. It's good that you satisfied yourself regarding what you really were hearing. I don't think anyone could ask more of you than what you reported.

maxg
03-18-2004, 01:58 AM
A guarantee is not an indication of a belief in their own product anymore than a lack of such guarantee is an indication of a disbeliefe in their own products.

Is there a restocking fee? Some charge a fee. They also rely on well known human nature that such a guarantee will sell more cables no matter what else.

"A guarantee is not an indication of a belief in their own product ?????"

You are kidding, right? Obviously a guarantee helps to sell products but there is a reason for it. It provides the customer with confidence that if anything goes wrong, if the product doesnt work as advertized, you can send it back for a refund of your money.

I dont know of any company that sells items under a guarantee or warranty that wants to get their products back and refund the monies. They offer the guarantee precisely because they are confident enough in their product not to expect to get it back - with the costs that that involves.

Of course if interest rates were higher you could argue an interest for the seller in temporarily gaining a customer's funds but I imagine as they are now merely the bank charges on the issuing of a cheque or a transfer of monies to the original customer's account would swallow those up and more.

I have no idea about their re-stocking fee policy - as you say some have one and some dont - maybe the purchaser can let us know if one applies.

You have to admit that having a 60 day money back guarantee is better than not having one.

okiemax
03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Double-blind tests require special equipment.

Only to expidite the switching process, keeping tally. You can have someone switch, record what it in play, leave the room making sure no telltale sign is visible to give away which is playing and the listener returns. No exchange of info between subjects, so the subject doesn't know. You can have an administrator to facilitate who doesn't know either, making it DBT.

I can't recall ever reading a post from a member who complied with your request to verify his claim with a blinded test. If it were so easy to do, we should see a lot of them. Or perhaps the lack of such replies, indicates posters are offended by being challenged to prove they aren't just fooling themselfs.

Just because you didn't read one is not a cause and effect deal. Maybe no one was willing to chance it, or was interested in the truth, or any other excuse. Certainly no indication of difficulty.

However, I don't know what purpose is served by heckling a person who is just telling about his experiences with a cable.

A reminder that what seems to be one thing may be totally another. Not hackling, just a reality check, a reminder?

I didn't say you "hackled" anyone. You may have, but I don't know what hackling means .However, I do believe "heckler" describes you. The definition which follows is from Webster's online dictionary. HECKLE: to harass and try to disconcert with questions, challenges, or gibes.

So if those blinded experiments are so easy to do, why not do some yourself ? No one else seem to be doing them. Like my moma used to say, "if you want it done, do it your self."

mtrycraft
03-18-2004, 10:24 PM
So if those blinded experiments are so easy to do, why not do some yourself ?

What would it accomplish other than what already has been?
Actually, I may have but is irrelevant to others claims to hear.

Bill L
03-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Their only stipulation is that you pay the shipping from Utah. $6.00 each way for me (San Diego). Not a bad insurance policy for a $300 purchase. After 60 days and up to 6 months they will give you 50% of the purchase price towards an upgrade, but as popular as these cables are on ebay I'm sure you'd do better selling them outright.