Sony STR-DA3400ES worth the extra cash over a 2400ES? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony STR-DA3400ES worth the extra cash over a 2400ES?

aph72
01-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I currently have a 5 or 6 year old STR-DE995 that doesn't have any HDMI inputs. I have a Sony Blu-Ray player and a Sony tv, so I would like to get a newer Sony receiver to take advantage of Bravia Sync, the xross media bar, and of course, HDMI switching. My question is: I am mostly considering the 3400 over the 2400 for the xross media bar. I really like it on my tv and blu-ray player, but I can't help wondering if I'll use it enough to justify the extra cost. After all, the 2400 has an on-screen menu, but maybe it isn't as user friendly as the xross menu on the 3400.
Anyone have any time with both of these receivers?

f0rge
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
how often are you going to be using the XMB on the receiver? how often do you change settings on a receiver?

other than changing the input and adjusting the volume there isnt much you'd likely be doing.

i looked them up quickly and dont see much of a difference to justify spending the extra $300

mgillgannon
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
I tried out the 3400 ES for a while. It didn't handle video very well so it went back. The 2400ES has a second zone, which might be important to you. If it isn't, the GUI upgrade alone wouldn't justify the price differential IMO. Otherwise they seem to be exactly the same.