2nd hand music stores [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand music stores

adesw
01-17-2009, 01:34 AM
I found the second hand section in the little music store I visit on a weekly basis. And though Id never have thought about buying 2nd hand before, it was all in great condition (well, most of it) but the cds were in the cases to check. So I walked away with 9 cds, for £34. Which considering I was expecting to pay £40 for 6 cds, I was quite happy.

Among that were the 2 cds the darkness did, and I got them for £1 each, aswell as "the wall" for £5.

Anyone big for second hand cds? Who else prefers to actually spend the little extra to go to an actual store so you can browse rather then using the internet?

emesbee
01-17-2009, 02:55 AM
I found the second hand section in the little music store I visit on a weekly basis. And though Id never have thought about buying 2nd hand before, it was all in great condition (well, most of it) but the cds were in the cases to check. So I walked away with 9 cds, for £34. Which considering I was expecting to pay £40 for 6 cds, I was quite happy.

Among that were the 2 cds the darkness did, and I got them for £1 each, aswell as "the wall" for £5.

Anyone big for second hand cds? Who else prefers to actually spend the little extra to go to an actual store so you can browse rather then using the internet?

I spend a lot of time looking through 2nd hand racks in music stores. Sometimes I've come across CDs that are not otherwise readily available in this country, and often at a fraction of the price they would be new. I've bought many CDs this way, and I've had very few duds (in terms of scratches, faults etc.).

Kevio
01-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I used to do that a lot. A couple weeks ago I picked up used copies of Elton John's Capitan Fantastic for myself and a Tori Amos CD for my daughter.

But generally, I find working through bins and even messing with CDs (after I've ripped them) to be a bit tedious. With bit rate coming up and DRM going down, I'm downloading more than ever.

Am I contributing to the downfall of the good old ways? Yes, probably.

Troy
01-17-2009, 10:19 AM
It's pretty much the only way I've ever bought music. I bought used vinyl in the '70s.

Amoeba and Rasputins are the best in CA.

Auricauricle
01-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Second hand bins have introduced bands to me that I otherwise would have known nothing about. Through them I have been turned on to Strawbs, Rennaissance, PFM, and Shawn Phillips, all musicians I think have made the listening world a lot more interesting....

adesw
01-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Im not a member of the download party. I love the physical idea of owning cds, from browsing the shelves in shops, to using the cds, and even just the thought that I actually own it and can display it on my shelves.
The mess isnt there for me though. The guy behind the counter knows his stock pretty well, and even then its all in alphabetical order and catergorised so finding anything is a sinch, Though I still browse. And then my own cds are ordered alpahbetically so Its easy to find them when I want to listen :D

Obsessive?

Finch Platte
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Im not a member of the download party. I love the physical idea of owning cds, from browsing the shelves in shops, to using the cds, and even just the thought that I actually own it and can display it on my shelves.
The mess isnt there for me though. The guy behind the counter knows his stock pretty well, and even then its all in alphabetical order and catergorised so finding anything is a sinch, Though I still browse. And then my own cds are ordered alpahbetically so Its easy to find them when I want to listen :D

Obsessive?

Same here. I hate fricking downloads- so soulless. :nono:

And for the original poster: http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29360

fp

Mr MidFi
01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
I went through a period where I was flipping through the used section at my local store every week, scrounging for deals. I gave up the practice eventually, as my time-investment returns diminished.

I almost hate to say this, but I can't stay away from the CD section at my local library. They have 1000s of titles, and I can check them out for free. Their selection is weak for newer releases, but it's a great way to plug old holes in the collection.

bobsticks
01-20-2009, 06:56 PM

Obsessive?

I'm with you. I rarely, if ever, download. I'm fortunate enough to have five or six quality used stores in my town, each in its own corner of the city and with a different clientele. I can usually spend a ridiculously low amount of money for a substantial amount of music of any genre I should choose.

Welcome to the forum.

02audionoob
01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
I've been able to find almost everything I want at half.com. The think I like about that site is the sellers have to price the stuff based on what people will pay. Suppose you just want something like Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill, for instance...just thinking of something ubiquitous...it ought to be cheap. The best price on half.com right now? 75 cents.

emesbee
01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
One of the frustrations about living in Australia is that there are a lot of recordings that don't get released in this country, presumably because the record company bosses don't reckon they'd sell enough of them here (boo, hiss).

One of the good things about 2nd hand racks, is that from time to time you come across some of those hard to get items. (Presumably a CD that someone has ordered from overseas, or brought back from holiday, then found they didn't like it.)

Kevio
01-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Second hand bins have introduced bands to me that I otherwise would have known nothing about.emusic.com does this for me 21st century style.

Worf101
01-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Nation to Nation, border to border. If you're looking for good, used music and vinyl... see my boy "Gentleman Jim" Furlong at:

www.lastvestige.com

Dave

bobsticks
01-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Google "luna music"