TV Shows...What's your guilty pleasure? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows...What's your guilty pleasure?

Sugar Beats
01-16-2009, 02:51 PM
And let me preface this by saying now, GM, let's stick to what I'm asking & keep it clean! Haha... :devil: (I'm only kidding GM!)

We all know we watch certain things we wouldn't want others to know, beyond that we get "hooked."

Recently I started watching this show, that now I just find pretty darn hilarious and I can't stop. I'll have to see it through to the bitter end.

"Mama's Boys."

What about you?

nightflier
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Just started watching Californication - it's crass but a laugh-riot.

dean_martin
01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
a couple of my favorites have been discussed on the board like True Blood and Fringe. one I haven't publicly owned up to yet is Big Bang Theory. those nerdy guys crack me up.

JohnMichael
01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
I love the Big Bang Theory. I also enjoy Ghost Whiperer. True Blood is another favorite. I guess anything about ghosts or vampires catches my interest. I can also closely relate to nerds.

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
a couple of my favorites have been discussed on the board like True Blood and Fringe. one I haven't publicly owned up to yet is Big Bang Theory. those nerdy guys crack me up.
I'm with ya Deano. Unfortunately, due to cost constraints (Read... big-ass layoff coming up :eek6: ) I decided to cancel HBO/Cinemax, so that's the end of TB for me. Still like Fringe which to me is a good replacement for X-Files, like House, but, like you and JM said, Big Bang Theory is the one. But not for the stated reasons. :ihih:

I'm just sayin'. Take it FWIW. :biggrin5:

ForeverAutumn
01-16-2009, 05:12 PM
Big Bang Theory is hilarious! I also like the New Adventures of Old Christine. I have faithfully watched ER since the very first episode. We watch a Law and Order SVU rerun every day. I've only seen a few Fringe episodes, but have totally enjoyed them. Of course Lost, but that's a gimme. Survivor, Amazing Race and Big Brother are fun to watch.

But my really guilty pleasure is The Young and the Restless, which I have been watching for about 25 yeas and I tape every day.

ForeverAutumn
01-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately, due to cost constraints (Read... big-ass layoff coming up :eek6: ) I decided to cancel HBO/Cinemax, so that's the end of TB for me.

Sorry to hear that Rich. I hope you survive the cuts.

dean_martin
01-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm with ya Deano. Unfortunately, due to cost constraints (Read... big-ass layoff coming up :eek6: ) I decided to cancel HBO/Cinemax, so that's the end of TB for me. Still like Fringe which to me is a good replacement for X-Files, like House, but, like you and JM said, Big Bang Theory is the one. But not for the stated reasons. :ihih:

I'm just sayin'. Take it FWIW. :biggrin5:

hey dude, TB is on hiatus til summer. things may turn around by then.

dean_martin
01-16-2009, 06:24 PM
But my really guilty pleasure is The Young and the Restless, which I have been watching for about 25 yeas and I tape every day.

when I was a student I somehow got hooked on Days of Our Lives. I scheduled all my classes around Days.

Sugar Beats
01-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Alright FA! That's what I'm talkin' about!

I used to watch "Days" for awhile a long time ago but just got to busy (during the baby years) to keep up w/ it and that was before the days of TIVO or DVR. Thanks for sharing!

I also like Fringe, but wouldn't consider it a "guilty pleasure." I loved X-Files when it was on.

I totally watch re-runs of Gilmore Girls, which I absolutely adore. I think I may break down and buy all the seasons (boxed set) to own! It's that bad. I guess I can relate a little to much to Loreli.

Also I was a huge "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" fan, the show, not the movie. But didn't watch it the last few seasons, but loved it the first 4 or so!

02audionoob
01-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Although Big Bang Theory is my favorite current show, I figure it's no guilty pleasure. Now being a grown man, I figure Samantha, Who? qualifies as my guilty pleasure.

Jack in Wilmington
01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Although Big Bang Theory is my favorite current show, I figure it's no guilty pleasure. Now being a grown man, I figure Samantha, Who? qualifies as my guilty pleasure.

I'm with you there. Out of the whole cast on "Married With Children" who would have thought that Christina Applegate would be the big star. Big Bang is great also. Got my wife hooked on it during the summer reruns and now it is the only primetime show she watches live (everything else on DVR). My guiltiest pleasure is a show on Travel Channel called "Bikini Destination". 5 hot chicks riding around on a sailboat looking for remote beaches to sun and swim. AHHHHHH

Auricauricle
01-17-2009, 06:19 PM
"Dead Like Me". F******g hilarious!

3-LockBox
01-18-2009, 11:43 AM
American Idol - I actually loathe the type of music and image this program showcases every week, but it is compelling to a certain point. The competition is the best its ever been, but as of last season, they've been letting in quasi-ameture singers through - at least three of them had contracts at one time before they appeared on AI. Of course, my favorite portion of the season is the beginning, when they weed out the posers and pretenders. The idea that some of these people would walk in front of those judges, thinking they could sing...:lol: Looks like they'll have lots of divas this year as well (I think a few of these so-called divas are coached and prodded to act that way at times). I don't think I could remember three names of the people who've won in the past, and I couldn't care less. OK, I do remember Kelly Clarkson's name, only because she's inelibly linked to body hair removal.;)

02audionoob
01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
It's a little interesting that the top American Idol contenders and even the winners can turn out to be so forgettable. They can seem very good, but I suppose they're good mostly only within the context of the amateurs.

bobsticks
01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Profit.

Some people find it bizarre that I like cooking shows but whatever. Frankly, I'd rather watch reruns of News Radio, Law & Order, and Sports Night over anything that's come along in the last five or ten years.

s dog
01-18-2009, 02:19 PM
All CSI stuff ,Mentalist, Lost, Criminal minds, Without a trace, MY guilty pleasure is all the shows about your money on CNN, It's kinda fuuny because i dont have any money!

RoyY51
01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
...for "House". He says the things that I sometimes wish I could...if I was semi-omnipotent...if I wasn't afraid of losing my job...if I was constantly in a drug-induced haze...if I didn't mind my wife leaving me...if I didn't mind being friendless...

It's a vicarious little pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless.

Rich-n-Texas
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
"House" is one of my 'all-star' shows. His sarcasm is absolutely hilarious.

Looks like they'll have lots of divas this year as well...
That babe in the bikini... :yikes:

GMichael
01-19-2009, 06:14 AM
My guilty pleasure is that I watch A LOT of TV. Here is a list off the top of my head, but I know that I'm leaving a bunch out.

Big Bang Theory - This show busts me up. And the girl from Charmed keeps my inner geek smiling.
Ghost Whisperer - I started watching this one for the hot babe, but ended up emotionally involved. This show makes me cry every Friday night.
Fringe - What a freak of a show. I can't tell you why I like it, but I can't turn it off.
AI - Yup, My name is Mike and I watch AI. Do I have to turn in my AR card?
Knight Rider - Sorry Rich. The babes are to hot not to watch.
How I met your mother - Way cool to See Doogie Howser play a cold hearted jerk (even if he is growing now)
The Sarah Conner Chronicles - Can't pass up a chance to see River Tam kick some butt.
FOOTBALL - I LOVE LOVE LOVE the NFL. Let's play some football!
Chuck - Funniest show on TV. Makes my inner geek smile, and lot's of babes. This could be my favorite.
Tried CSI for a bit. The video and audio are top notch. Too bad I couldn't stay awake for a whole show. Had to delete it from the DVR line-up.
NCIS - Much like CSI except for the good plot, fine acting, and otherwise entertaining parts.

Luvin Da Blues
01-19-2009, 06:19 AM
........Some people find it bizarre that I like cooking shows but whatever..............

Not really a cooking show but one of the few shows I make a point of catching is Chef Ramsey's "Kitchen Nightmares".

GMichael
01-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Add:

Bones
Atlantis
Sanctuary
Any Star Trek that gets air time.
Numbers
Dancing with the stars
So you think you can dance
The Mentalist
Heroes
Lost
BSG

Sugar Beats
01-19-2009, 07:06 AM
I also like "So you think you can dance" and GM I also like Fringe & think the dude from Dawson's Creek is really cute. I don't know his name. I think it's funny how you like to list shows "with hot babes!"

GMichael
01-19-2009, 07:10 AM
What can I say? I like hot babes.

Sugar Beats
01-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Good, nothing wrong w/ that! Does that mean I qualify?! Ha Ha!

GMichael
01-19-2009, 07:16 AM
All women qualify. H.ll, even a few guys qualify. (that means you JM)

kexodusc
01-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I watch a lot of football, hockey, and college sports.

Other than:
Half the HBO shows already mentioned (love True Blood) etc
I really enjoy Fringe. Californication is great, and I had to PVR Big Love last night, but that show is delightfully creepy.

Lost is my favorite, Dexter is close runner up, but honorable mentions to some stupid shows that I just can't get away from:
Prison Break
BSG
Terminator

Hmm, that's probably it. I VOD a ton of HBO/Showtime stuff early in the mornings on weekends when my wife's sleeping.

Used to like Heroes but I find it's lost its way and is now boring to me.

I still watch Star Trek anything and a few sitcoms when I have time or I'm travelling for work. Oh and South Park. Love that show.

Rich-n-Texas
01-19-2009, 07:48 AM
All women qualify. H.ll, even a few guys qualify. (that means you JM)
WHY DON'T YOU TWO JUST GET A ROOM ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad5: :incazzato: :mad2:

GMichael
01-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Jealous?
.Again?

ForeverAutumn
01-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Jealous?
.Again?

Hmmm. I wonder who he's jealous of. Sugar Beats or JohnMichael?

;)

dean_martin
01-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Oh and South Park. Love that show.

yeah, me too. 40 year-old conveniently forgets to mention his favorite cartoons in guilty-pleasure thread:

Family Guy
South Park
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - when are the new ones coming?
American Dad - honorable mention

GMichael
01-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Hmmm. I wonder who he's jealous of. Sugar Beats or JohnMichael?

;)

I assumed JM.

Don't worry Rich. I've still got a place for you.:eek6:

ForeverAutumn
01-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I assumed JM.

Don't worry Rich. I've still got a place for you.:eek6:

Next time, remember not to light the cigar!

GMichael
01-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Was that where the burning sensation came from?

Sugar Beats
01-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I assumed JM.

Don't worry Rich. I've still got a place for you.

Okay GM! Nice. I see how you are.
Oh well, I guess I understand. Fine.

GMichael
01-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Don't worry, Rich won't mind if you join it.

Hey, how did we get back to this again?

Makes a nice samich'

Rich-n-Texas
01-19-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm here for you Sugar. :ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
01-19-2009, 10:31 AM
So, what was the question?

GMichael
01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
How many men does it take to......
Oops, wrong site.

Auricauricle
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Like 'Sticks: News Radio was great! Phil Hartmann....God, the world might as well have just stopped....

Anybody watch Cracker with Rob Coltrane? I kin watchit ferever....

Hey boys, how d'you want yer cigars cut? Guillotine or notched?

ForeverAutumn
01-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah, News Radio was a great show. Hartman was a comedic genius. A great loss when his wife went wacko. I've always been a fan of Dave Foley too, from his Kids in the Hall days. Hartman's cool confidence playing off Foley's quirky neuroticism was comedy at it's best IMO.

GMichael
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Cut?! :eek6:

Auricauricle
01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO7EFfdX8Rs&feature=related

Smokey
01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Sometimes I watch Golden Girls if there is nothing else on. When the show is good, it is really funny. And when it is not, it's a drag. :)

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Golden-Girls-tv-show-11.jpg

Rich-n-Texas
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Nurse Ratchett's favorite show too huh? :biggrin5:

Auricauricle
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Heh...Funny man!

Smokey
01-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Heh...Funny man!

Don't encourage him :incazzato:

Worf101
01-20-2009, 11:58 AM
My definition of a "guilty pleasure" is a show that, under normal circumstances, you'd be ashamed to let "people you love or respect" ever, ever know you watched 1 second of much less religiously.

My Mom's family was from the rural south, I mean dirt road, didn't get running water until the '78, rural south. We "city kids" used to go down there once a summer for 2 weeks in the cotton, watermelons and "fresh air". Unfortunately we, being "guests" had to watch was grandma watched, soooooo

I fell in love with "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Hee Haw".

She gads,.....

"Where oh where are you tonight...
"Why did you leave me here all alone....
"Ah searched the world over and I thought I'd found true love....
"You met another and Pbbbst you wuz gone....

"BR549"

"I'm gonna be a double naught spy. Double naught spies get all the girls."

"Jethro, do your guzinta's..."
"2 guzinta 4 twice...."

Neither show could be made today, to Politically incorrect and corny...

There you have it... so sue me.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
My definition of a "guilty pleasure" is a show that, under normal circumstances, you'd be ashamed to let "people you love or respect" ever, ever know you watched 1 second of much less religiously.

Oh...in that case I have a confession...

My name is Kex and I'm a wrestling fan. :3:

GMichael
01-20-2009, 12:19 PM
HI KEX!

Groundbeef
01-20-2009, 02:06 PM
I would have to say, that American Idol is my guilty pleasure.

What started out as an obligation to my kids (need something family friendly to watch), has slowly grown on me.

I'm still waiting for the homliest, most not-ready for prime time dufous to break out and sing like an angel. Hasn't happened yet. Why can't ugly people sing good?

GMichael
01-20-2009, 02:11 PM
I would have to say, that American Idol is my guilty pleasure.

What started out as an obligation to my kids (need something family friendly to watch), has slowly grown on me.

I'm still waiting for the homliest, most not-ready for prime time dufous to break out and sing like an angel. Hasn't happened yet. Why can't ugly people sing good?

They don't make it through the screening process. Doesn't make for good ratings. Ugly people are for making fun of (for ratings sake).

nightflier
01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I'll add BSG to my list as well - pathetic acting, but somehow I can't stop buying the DVDs. Last year, I watched a whole season in one night. Dexter sounds intriguing, but I haven't see it yet. Used to get a real kick out of Criminal Minds, too, but that got old.

With that in mind, anyone know when the next installment of BSG on DVD will be out?

P.S. When do you guys have time to listen to music?

bobsticks
01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
I fell in love with "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Hee Haw".

No lawsuits necessary, but I've bookmarked this and the next time you go gettin' all bougie on the Klingon Warrior tip I've got an autobiographical war cudgel to go upside yo noggin'...

bobsticks
01-20-2009, 06:46 PM
When I was young I had fantasies about Kimberly MacArthur...last week Smokey had fantasies about Bea Arthur. We are very different people.

emesbee
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
yeah, me too. 40 year-old conveniently forgets to mention his favorite cartoons in guilty-pleasure thread:

Family Guy
South Park
Aqua Teen Hunger Force - when are the new ones coming?
American Dad - honorable mention

Sorry, but I stopped watching cartoons after The Bugs Bunny Show. Nothing made since then has even come close.

02audionoob
01-20-2009, 09:24 PM

Indeed...thus no G.P. status for The Big Bang Theory. That's a cool show.

HI KEX!

Ahhh...my first actual laugh out loud at a post for today.

JSE
01-21-2009, 06:31 AM
My wife and I really like Burn Notice on USA network. Cool cheesy spy stuff with some good laughs. Great show.

We also watch Two and a Half Men. Rude, crude and hilarious. And hot babes.

Survivorman is also very cool. This guy is way better than that Bear guy and Man vs. Wild.

bfalls
01-21-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm an armchair Lawyer. I watch several "Judge" shows a day. I find them entertaining and educational. You see both the good and bad sides of the law and how, in some cases, it's distorted because of interpretation and the judge's discretion. Out of four I currently I find only one who follows the letter of the law. After watching afternoon law, it's easy to see how innoscent people go to jail.

One show I was really impressed with, but wouldn't normally watch was "So You Think You Can Dance". Pretty much the same format as American Idol, but the performers are much more skilled and professional than the average idol contestant. There's an incedible amout of talent on the show. The style of dance each couple performs each week is drawn randomly, so a trained comtemporary dancer may get asked to perform not only their style, but many different styles from ballroom to hip-hop. Choreography from many celebrated professionals in the field of all types of dance from hip-hop to ballroom. BTW I don't dance, but appreciate those who can.

Sugar Beats
01-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Hey I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Girls Next Door!" c'om Richie & GM! You know you've watched it! So why not just fess up! Heehee

Groundbeef
01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Hey I'm surprised nobody mentioned "Girls Next Door!" c'om Richie & GM! You know you've watched it! So why not just fess up! Heehee

Even the pretty girls can't save that trainwreck. In this economy, who want's to watch a bunch of overpaid whiners complain about anything? It's terrible. I can only stand the quick clips showcased on Talk Soup.

Now that is a good show, and not a guilty pleasure.

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Have to be honest Sugar, that one slipped under the radar.

Sugar Beats
01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Well Rich, I surely appreciate your honesty! I guess I've underestimated you. So sorry!!! Oh yea, it was GM who told me he's into watching "hot babes." I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that based on what I know of GM so far, he's not really particular about what the "hot babes" IQ's are.
Sorry Richie, I guess I made a mistake. Do you forgive me?

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I love it when you call me Richie, sweetheart. ;)

Sugar Beats
01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Richie, Richie, Richie!!!

Worf101
01-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh...in that case I have a confession...

My name is Kex and I'm a wrestling fan. :3:
Hi Kex!!!!!!

Baron Miquel Secluna
Baron Ratscke
The Real Shiek
Bo Bo Brazil
Bruno Samartino
Ivan "Da Polish Hammer" Putske
Haystacks Calhoun
Mr. Fugi....

Ah.. Memories

Da Worfster

GMichael
01-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Even the pretty girls can't save that trainwreck. In this economy, who want's to watch a bunch of overpaid whiners complain about anything? It's terrible. I can only stand the quick clips showcased on Talk Soup.

Now that is a good show, and not a guilty pleasure.

I have to agree with you here GB. I've tried watching this show (just to see the babes) but I couldn't stay awake. And not for nothin', but none of those girls are really that hot. Too much plastic for me.

GMichael
01-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Well Rich, I surely appreciate your honesty! I guess I've underestimated you. So sorry!!! Oh yea, it was GM who told me he's into watching "hot babes." I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that based on what I know of GM so far, he's not really particular about what the "hot babes" IQ's are.

You are partly right Sugar. I do like hot babes. But girls with IQ's in the low 40's are not hot babes. Something about stupid people that is a total turn off for me.

That must be why we get along so well.

Worf101
01-22-2009, 07:31 AM
No lawsuits necessary, but I've bookmarked this and the next time you go gettin' all bougie on the Klingon Warrior tip I've got an autobiographical war cudgel to go upside yo noggin'...
Philistine....

Da Worfster

Sugar Beats
01-22-2009, 02:36 PM
You are partly right Sugar. I do like hot babes. But girls with IQ's in the low 40's are not hot babes. Something about stupid people that is a total turn off for me.

My sentiments exactly! So glad to see that we are on the same page GM!

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 03:09 PM
So, GM, you like the girl in the library?

bobsticks
01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Oh yea, it was GM who told me he's into watching "hot babes." I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that based on what I know of GM so far, he's not really particular about what the "hot babes" IQ's are.

No, that was me...

Sugar Beats
01-22-2009, 04:40 PM
So, GM, you like the girl in the library

Hey GM, by the way, I wear glasses. I've totally done the whole sexy librarian thing, back in college. But I'm sure I could find my old little pleated skirt somewhere! I think it's just in the back of my closet or in a dresser drawer somehwhere. And my glasses are oh~so cute! (no really, I get compliments on them all the time!) LOL!

Told ya, I'm a tease!

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Gonna shower now....

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi Kex!!!!!!

Baron Miquel Secluna
Baron Ratscke
The Real Shiek
Bo Bo Brazil
Bruno Samartino
Haystacks Calhoun
Mr. Fugi....

Ah.. Memories

Da Worfster
WORF!!! I LOVE YOU MAN!

George "The Animal" Steel
Andre the Giant
Sargent Slaughter
Rowdy Roddy Piper

In the Philly area, we called it Channel 48 (UHF) wrestling. Who was that little asswipe that managed the bad guys?

Baron Miquel Secluna = "The Cobra Clutch" right? :lol:

Auricauricle
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
What happen to Ricky Steamboat and the Karamazov Brothers?

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
There were two brothers in the WWF in more recent years, and didn't one of them die after a match? He landed on his head or something like that, and Vince McMahon turned it into a sideshow. I absolutely despised him when he turned a perfectly legit sport (:idea:)into a circus. :yesnod:

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 07:08 PM
That girl's too short for me.

ForeverAutumn
01-22-2009, 07:23 PM
There were two brothers in the WWF in more recent years, and didn't one of them die after a match? He landed on his head or something like that, and Vince McMahon turned it into a sideshow. I absolutely despised him when he turned a perfectly legit sport (:idea:)into a circus. :yesnod:

I think that you're referring to Owen Hart and Bret "the hitman" Hart. Owen died in 1999.

02audionoob
01-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Fritz Von Erich! The Iron Claw!

3-LockBox
01-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I watched wrestling as a kid, growing up in the mid-south...and yes, I watched HeeHaw and a host of other Nashville variety shows, but not of my own choosing. My family didn't get cable until 1976, and there were only 6 or 7 stations we could get on antenna. But funny thing is, we still got three different stations that had their own wrestling program. Wrasslin was big down south, if you hadn't already guessed.

I'm sure many of you know Jerry Lawler, from his gig on WWE, but but before he was hicking it up on that show, I considered him a role model. No, not just because he was a wrestling genius (I won't bore you with why), but because he wasn't some stupid rube, like he is on WWE. He is an accomplished artist and decent musician, and in person he's very intellectual. Our highschool hosted wrestline events and Lawler appeared there several times through the '70s and '80s, along with others like Macho-Man Randy Savage (son of Angelo Poffo, brother of Leaping Lanny Poffo), Bearcat Brown, Jesse Ventura, Terry Funk, Paul Orndorf (before he was Mr Wonderful), Bill Dundee, KoKo Ware (who was CoCo B. Ware in the old WWF), Paul Ellering (before he was a manager to these next guys), both Road Warriors (before they were Road Warriors), Rocky Johnson (The Rock's dad) as well as a host of others that I can't remember right now... I have actually talked to several of these guys, and had pretty good conversations with Lawler, who is very approachable (or at least was back then). My brother actually has a good repoire with Bill Dundee, who lives in west TN, and owns a strip club somewhere there....One saturday, when wrasslin came to town, me and two friends snuck out back of the highschool, where some of the wrestlers were known to smoke, hang out or whatever, and we were going to harass Jimmy "mouth of the south" Hart and maybe pelt him and whoever else with rocks, but before we could do anything, he spotted us, and yelled, "Hey!" We stood up to flee but he yelled at us, "Are you guys going watch us tonight" and we said 'no', and he then asked us if we could do him a favor - he gave $40 and told us if we'd go down to B-Rite (local convenience store) and buy him an assortment of chicken and jojos, and bring it back by the end of wrestling, he'd give us another $40 (of course, this was real money back then). We did, he did, and him and the few heels that were there thanked us and seemed like regular joes. We were happy to do it too, although, after a while we figured out that we coulda stiffed 'em and still had the $40, but hey, it was a brush with fame...sorta.

JSE
01-22-2009, 09:03 PM

My sentiments exactly! So glad to see that we are on the same page GM!

Which part do you agree with?

Please be the part about liking hot Babes!!! :ihih:

02audionoob
01-22-2009, 09:10 PM
My guilty pleasure is watching Sugar Beats flirt with the guys.:ihih:

GMichael
01-23-2009, 06:36 AM

Who wouldn't?:thumbsup:

I'll take two to go please. Can I get extra honey with that?

GMichael
01-23-2009, 06:40 AM
So, GM, you like the girl in the library

Hey GM, by the way, I wear glasses. I've totally done the whole sexy librarian thing, back in college. But I'm sure I could find my old little pleated skirt somewhere! I think it's just in the back of my closet or in a dresser drawer somehwhere. And my glasses are oh~so cute! (no really, I get compliments on them all the time!) LOL!

Told ya, I'm a tease!

When do we get these pictures?

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Who was that little asswipe that managed the bad guys?

...Jimmy "mouth of the south" Hart...
That's it! He annoyed me to NO end! :mad5:

Good story BTW 3LB.

FA, yes, that's who I was thinking of. Thanks.

Worf101
01-23-2009, 07:25 AM
WORF!!! I LOVE YOU MAN!

Andre the Giant
Sargent Slaughter
Rowdy Roddy Piper

In the Philly area, we called it Channel 48 (UHF) wrestling. Who was that little asswipe that managed the bad guys?

Baron Miquel Secluna = "The Cobra Clutch" right? :lol:
Guilty as charged... NOT to be confused with the Iron Sheik's "Camel Clutch". God, how gullible were we? I remember when I learned that "rasslin" wuzn't "real". My Dad demonstrated in stark terms that men hit in the head with chairs, do NOT get back up.

Glad to have the company there Tex.

Da Worfster

Worf101
01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
I watched wrestling as a kid, growing up in the mid-south...and yes, I watched HeeHaw and a host of other Nashville variety shows, but not of my own choosing. My family didn't get cable until 1976, and there were only 6 or 7 stations we could get on antenna. But funny thing is, we still got three different stations that had their own wrestling program. Wrasslin was big down south, if you hadn't already guessed.

I'm sure many of you know Jerry Lawler, from his gig on WWE, but but before he was hicking it up on that show, I considered him a role model. No, not just because he was a wrestling genius (I won't bore you with why), but because he wasn't some stupid rube, like he is on WWE. He is an accomplished artist and decent musician, and in person he's very intellectual. Our highschool hosted wrestline events and Lawler appeared there several times through the '70s and '80s, along with others like Macho-Man Randy Savage (son of Angelo Poffo, brother of Leaping Lanny Poffo), Bearcat Brown, Jesse Ventura, Terry Funk, Paul Orndorf (before he was Mr Wonderful), Bill Dundee, KoKo Ware (who was CoCo B. Ware in the old WWF), Paul Ellering (before he was a manager to these next guys), both Road Warriors (before they were Road Warriors), Rocky Johnson (The Rock's dad) as well as a host of others that I can't remember right now... I have actually talked to several of these guys, and had pretty good conversations with Lawler, who is very approachable (or at least was back then). My brother actually has a good repoire with Bill Dundee, who lives in west TN, and owns a strip club somewhere there....One saturday, when wrasslin came to town, me and two friends snuck out back of the highschool, where some of the wrestlers were known to smoke, hang out or whatever, and we were going to harass Jimmy "mouth of the south" Hart and maybe pelt him and whoever else with rocks, but before we could do anything, he spotted us, and yelled, "Hey!" We stood up to flee but he yelled at us, "Are you guys going watch us tonight" and we said 'no', and he then asked us if we could do him a favor - he gave $40 and told us if we'd go down to B-Rite (local convenience store) and buy him an assortment of chicken and jojos, and bring it back by the end of wrestling, he'd give us another $40 (of course, this was real money back then). We did, he did, and him and the few heels that were there thanked us and seemed like regular joes. We were happy to do it too, although, after a while we figured out that we coulda stiffed 'em and still had the $40, but hey, it was a brush with fame...sorta.

This is one GREAT post. Tried to give you some green fer it but the twerps that run this place wouldn't let me. The biggest rasslin' show I ever saw LIVE was a rare event when Turners Boys came north to rassle at the RPI field house in Troy. This was in retaliation for McMahon and company going south into their neck of the woods. It was broadcase live on TBS and it was the first time I ever saw that folks followed rasslin' in RV's like they follow NASCAR!!! Who knew. Well it was a great card, the finale being a "retirement match" between Corey Funk and Ric "Whooooo" Flair. I took my then girlfriends son with me and even though me and his mum are long split, every time he sees me he reminds me of that show and how great it was. Silly I know but funny the things that stay with you.

Randy Macho Man Savage in Spiderman 1 was priceless!!!!

"Bonesaw", you can't make this chit up.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow guys. Those are great stories.
My all time favorite story has to be having a bite to eat with The Cuban Assassin and the dynamite kid when they did a stop in Minot, ND way back in the 80's. They signed my program. About 15 years or so I took that program to another show the Assasin was in and showed him the program and he really seemed touched in a nostalgic way. He probably didn't make millions but for a dude like me to keep that signature that long, think it touched him.
When I was a kid wrestling was bigger than real life, it was great. The 80's characters were just over the top.

In the 90's I liked the technical side of it...amazing these guys could sell wrestling moves and make it look real, tell a story in the ring, and get you cheering, jeering, believing it was real for a few minutes.

Today it's not as good - they've toned back the hard core, and smutty stuff quite a bit, but there's something missing. I dunno. But I still check out indy shows every now and then or go to the WWE when it's in town.

Oh, we also cheered on a jobber here back in 2001 or 2002 that was losing to some other wrestling hack. We had the whole arena chanting Randy! Randy! cheering for the skinny kid in the first match of the night. I don't remember the other guy's name for sure (think it was Sean Stasiak)but the jobber's last name was Orton..he's doing alright now...

Anyone else notice the Royal Rumble ads on this page now? That's some ad-ware this site has :)

Rich-n-Texas
01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Guilty as charged... NOT to be confused with the Iron Sheik's "Camel Clutch". God, how gullible were we? I remember when I learned that "rasslin" wuzn't "real". My Dad demonstrated in stark terms that men hit in the head with chairs, do NOT get back up.

Glad to have the company there Tex.

Da Worfster
Who was the wrestler who'd put the "sleeper" hold on the opponent, parade around the ring, and then with the help of the audience cheering or jeering (forget which) would put a towel over the unconcious combatant's head, make some kind of move and then the near-dead-guy would miraculously wake up. Yep... gullible I was.

How 'bout...

Roller games? Judy Arnold and Buddy Atkinson were the favorites with the "Philadelphia Warriors". I went to a few of them back in the day. :yesnod:

dean_martin
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
did someone say rasslin'?

Sugar Beats
01-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Which part do you agree with?

Please be the part about liking hot Babes!!!

I think I already heavily hinted to the fact (on another thread) that I have a thing for one babe in particular...

Hmmm... wonder who? Maybe you'll end up lookin' around and find out who! :devil:

My guilty pleasure is watching Sugar Beats flirt with the guys

Happy to oblige fellas! :lol:

Auricauricle
01-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Oh, yes, The Sleeper Hold!

In the seventies, when I was a young pup and the short and curlies were still waiting to arrive, my classmates and I watched rasslin'. Pretty soon the school was divided into two equally deadly camps of prepubescent terror: The kids who knew Kung-Fu and those who knew Rasslin'. In my ever so obliging way, I presented myself to be "practiced upon". I take pride in knowing that I helped these wayward heathens along in their perfection of "the ots"....

3-LockBox
01-23-2009, 06:22 PM

In the seventies, when I was a young pup and the short and curlies were still waiting to arrive, my classmates and I watched rasslin'. Pretty soon the school was divided into two equally deadly camps of prepubescent terror: The kids who knew Kung-Fu and those who knew Rasslin'. In my ever so obliging way, I presented myself to be "practiced upon". I take pride in knowing that I helped these wayward heathens along in their perfection of "the ots"....

I was told that the sleeper hold could work if applied correctly, but more than likely would cause dane bramage to those who had it peformed on them too often. I do know the figure-four leg lock works (thank you Jack Brisco).

Ah yes, then there was Kung Fu. I loved that show...I saw it in syndication four or five years ago and its still a rather good show...made martial arts wannabes out of a lot of people.

I grew up in Tennessee, but had family in southern Michigan, and we watched a wrestling show out of Detroit (I think). Dick The Bruiser, The Sheik, Nick Bockwinkle, Greg Gagne, as well as a few wrestlers from other region who wrestled under different monikers from city to city. I remember Ken Patera would appear on Memphis wrestling as the heel to Jerry Lawler's baby, then the two would appear on Michigan wrestling with the roles reversed. Same with Lawler and Jimmy Superfly Snuka and on and on. Boy did these guys ham it up when they appeared out of their normal regions. These guys pretended to be mortal enemies, then went out to have drinks together afterward.

Jimmy Hart got his start in Memphis, as Lawler's manager, but before that he was a off-and-on musician, who had been featured in a bi-line in a few episodes of wrestling, whereby Lawler pretended to be leaving wrestling for a music career. Hart's claim to fame before that was with the '60s group The Gentrys, which had a major hit with Keep On Dancin, which has made nearly every '60s comp imaginable, and a few moderate hits. It was Lawler who gave Terry Hogan his 'Hulk' moniker, and it was Lawler who invited Andy Kaufman to Memphis to play a heel, which Kaufman did, and while this was chronicaled to an extent in the film Man On The Moon, you had to be there to appreciate how Kaufman played his heel role so visciously, constantly using a mockingly stupid southern accent and calling southerners hicks and yahoos and the like. I knew it was put-on by then, but so many of my friends hated him. I was major Andy Kaufman fan BTW.

bobsticks
01-23-2009, 06:35 PM
I was told that the sleeper hold could work if applied correctly, but more than likely would cause dane bramage to those who had it peformed on them too often.

It works. Makes characters look like they're spittin' up tapioca pudding.

markw
01-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Big Bang Theory
Two and a Half Men
How I met Your Mother
Smallville
Dr Who*
Torchwood*
Primevil*
The Grahm Norton Show
Jimmy Neutron

*Hopefully, there wil lbe new ones out.

Auricauricle
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
I grew up in a small, rural town here in South Carolina. In grade school, I had a pal named Raymond who seemed always to seek me out to practice the sleeper hold on me....Gank Thod it wever norked....!

"Superfly", "Steamboat"....They just do it any better!

Anybody remember Shock Theater?

Jack in Wilmington
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi Kex!!!!!!

Baron Miquel Secluna
Baron Ratscke
The Real Shiek
Bo Bo Brazil
Bruno Samartino
Haystacks Calhoun
Mr. Fugi....

Ah.. Memories

Da Worfster

All right Worfster, finally somebody that remembers the good old days. Not like the pansies that wrestle these days. When can you remember a 150 lb guy being the WWF Champion. Give me a break

Gorilla Monsoon
Chief Jay Strongbow

Rich-n-Texas
01-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I already said George "The Animal" Steel, but thanks Jack for bringing back Chief J and Gorilla Monsoon. I don't know how in the world I forgot about those two. :crazy:

Rich-n-Texas
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Anybody remember Shock Theater?
Yup. Dr. Shock. I remember him well. :thumbsup:

Jack in Wilmington
01-25-2009, 08:07 AM
I already said George "The Animal" Steel, but thanks Jack for bringing back Chief J and Gorilla Monsoon. I don't know how in the world I forgot about those two. :crazy:

Yea Rich, I used to go to the "Arena" down on 46th and Market in Philly everytime there was a wrestling card in town. Long before the Spectrum was built.

Worf101
01-26-2009, 06:50 AM

Practiced upon.... Gawd, I'm just dyin' here. Great story... I'm dying I tell you.... But I know so well just what you mean... God, what Grade school memories are flooding my head right now.

Da Worfster

Worf101
01-26-2009, 07:01 AM
All right Worfster, finally somebody that remembers the good old days. Not like the pansies that wrestle these days. When can you remember a 150 lb guy being the WWF Champion. Give me a break

Gorilla Monsoon
Chief Jay Strongbow
I was always pissed off that The Chief never got a real title shot, nobody ever did. I do remember the Buzz though when "Superstar" Billy Graham came "east" to battle Bruno Sammartino in Shea Stadium... Wow. Nope, no 90 pound weaklings need apply.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
01-26-2009, 07:14 AM
So, I don't think anyone's answered the question... Who practiced the "Sleeper" hold? :idea:

Another question, there was a wrestler in the early 70's who's first name was Jeff, but I can't remember his nickname and last name. He lived in South Jersey; maybe Cherry Hill or Haddonfield, and one day my sister was driving me in her car somewhere... lo and behold, there he was strutting down Haddon Ave. with his chest out just the same way he did when entering the ring. My sister and I were laughing histerically.

bobsticks
01-27-2009, 04:44 PM
So, I don't think anyone's answered the question... Who practiced the "Sleeper" hold? :idea:

That was me.