Circuit City Liquidation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Circuit City Liquidation

BadAssJazz
01-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Hate to see them go, but if you're looking for some potentially great deals, CC is officially closing it's doors on all 567 retail stores...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/16/circuit-city-liquidation_n_158474.html

canuckle
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow... that will change the home electronics landscape significantly.

f0rge
01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
It was unclear what would happen to the company's 765 retail stores and dealer outlets in Canada. Galardi told a judge there are still bids for the Canadian business.

they have circuit cities in canada? must be out west cause i've never seen one...

Sir L E
01-19-2009, 05:37 AM
No Circuit Cities in Canada (that I've seen). I believe they're referring to The Source by Circuit City (old Radio Shack), you can find those in almost every mall in Canada.

f0rge
01-19-2009, 06:43 AM
No Circuit Cities in Canada (that I've seen). I believe they're referring to The Source by Circuit City (old Radio Shack), you can find those in almost every mall in Canada.

very true, didn't even think about that.

i cant imagine they'd be closing those, they're much more specialized compared to the big box stores in the states.

pixelthis
01-19-2009, 03:57 PM
THERES' this company (cant remember the name) that handles liquidations.
They mark stuff UP first, then mark 30% off of that
Dont fall for that.
Wait until just the right time, before they start throwing stuff into the dumpster.
AND THIS WILL HURT THE CE MARKET, as a lot of cheap stuff will be hitting the market:1:

Eric A Zinzer
01-25-2009, 01:13 PM
They were always over priced. They were great at the old-bait then switch in there ads.Once they had you in the store pushing things you dint need or wanted.Never having the sale items you went there for in the first place.Circitcity glad there done.How ever I will miss Tweeter audio sales. The once called United audio.They were the best and always had hi end gear.And for us older folks there once was a place called Shack Electronics .not radioshack .They sold project one stereos and a speaker call Domas. This was the fun place for the old timers ears. As its been many years past . LoL

thekid
01-26-2009, 02:58 AM
Saw my first "liquidation sale" ad on TV since the announcement. They are advertising as much as 30% off selected items. I am sure for some people on some items that will be enough of a discount to bring them. I am sure a lot of TV's will move this week prior to the big game but I don't see anything there that lights my fire.

noddin0ff
01-26-2009, 04:23 AM
been cruising my local CC. Banners everywhere 10-30% off, but darned if I can find anything over 10% mark down. I was looking for a computer monitor. At 10% off they're just barely beating generic web prices. Not worth it yet.

pixelthis
01-26-2009, 02:08 PM
been cruising my local CC. Banners everywhere 10-30% off, but darned if I can find anything over 10% mark down. I was looking for a computer monitor. At 10% off they're just barely beating generic web prices. Not worth it yet.

SEEN any decent receivers? I might be in the market for a bargain:1:

nightflier
01-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Wake me when they really will have a liquidation sale. Liquidation sales are supposed to have better prices. I remember Mervyn's tried that nonsense and nobody came. It wasn't until the very end when things started getting empty. When the GG went bust, they kept prices high for about three weeks and nothing moved, then when they finally did drop their prices, the inventory dropped significantly. I remember a pair of Klipsch LaScalas that I'd been eyeing. There one evening, gone the next morning. I missed out on those. Of course CC doesn't have that kind of gear....

With CE, especially the level of stuff that CC carries, they need to realize that they expect people to buy this stuff without a store to go back to once they're gone. Aside from manufacturer warranties, the customers are pretty much left holding the bag. The prices should be 50% off, and they aren't.

I went there to look for CDs and DVDs and their prices, even with the "30% off" were still more than Target's prices. It amazes me that they're even calling it a liquidation sale. I wonder how all their pre-Christmas customers who paid full price are feeling right about now. I feel bad for the employees, but for the CEOs and the liquidating parent company, they can go find another sucker to spend money there.

No thanks.

Woochifer
01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Wake me when they really will have a liquidation sale. Liquidation sales are supposed to have better prices. I remember Mervyn's tried that nonsense and nobody came. It wasn't until the very end when things started getting empty. When the GG went bust, they kept prices high for about three weeks and nothing moved, then when they finally did drop their prices, the inventory dropped significantly. I remember a pair of Klipsch LaScalas that I'd been eyeing. There one evening, gone the next morning. I missed out on those. Of course CC doesn't have that kind of gear....

With CE, especially the level of stuff that CC carries, they need to realize that they expect people to buy this stuff without a store to go back to once they're gone. Aside from manufacturer warranties, the customers are pretty much left holding the bag. The prices should be 50% off, and they aren't.

I went there to look for CDs and DVDs and their prices, even with the "30% off" were still more than Target's prices. It amazes me that they're even calling it a liquidation sale. I wonder how all their pre-Christmas customers who paid full price are feeling right about now. I feel bad for the employees, but for the CEOs and the liquidating parent company, they can go find another sucker to spend money there.

No thanks.

Yeah, but judging by the long lines that accompanied the start of the liquidation sale, word hasn't gotten out to consumers just yet. It's sad to see consumers fall for the herd mentality yet again. Slap a GOING OUT OF BUSINESS sign on the window, and people automatically assume that they're getting a bargain.

This is pretty much a textbook liquidation sale, and one of the companies running the sale is the same outfit that liquidated Tower Records and Good Guys. You would think that anyone who shopped at those liquidation sales would know by now that the bargain pricing doesn't kick in until much later. Of course, with the number of uneducated consumers out there, the shelves are usually picked pretty clean by the time the really steep discounting begins. When I bought my SACD player, I remember Good Guys stores beginning to empty out rapidly once the discounts went above 20%. I still held out when the markoffs went to 30%, and almost missed out altogether because I waited until the markoffs reached 40% and got the second-to-last Sony ES SACD player remaining.

The San Jose Mercury News' tech blog ran an article comparing prices at the CC liquidation sale with items in Best Buy's latest circular ad, and none of the CC prices could match the BB price. And unlike at the CC liquidation where all sales are final, you can still return defective and unwanted items at BB for 30 days.

Worf101
01-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Far be it from moi to fore go pickin' the bones of rampant consumerism... err I went down there yesterday at lunch. Didn't see anything worth buying at THEIR prices but I've my eye on a couple of things that I might pick up in a week or two. I did get a new copy of Crysis for 29 bucks, but other than that. I'll might pick up an Onkyo 806 when the price drops below ludicrous, this would give me an HDMI capable receiver for the upstairs. Not necessary but if I can get it at the "right" price, why not... So, like a fat, old, black buzzard I sits in my tree, picking my teefes, waitin' for the missionary to drop dead in the sand.

Da Worfster

dax
01-27-2009, 06:10 AM
A segment on "Morning Express with Robin Meade" today compared the prices of a Circuit City to those at a Best Buy and Target located close by. On a large screen TV, the CC price was about $100 cheaper. But on digital cameras and some other stuff, the CC liquidation prices were actually higher.

They interviewd some woman who said she bought some cables for 30% off and was thrilled. Those are the shoppers that CC are trying to get to shop there right now. They just see 30% off and buy it. Little do they know that they are getting 30% off an inflated price and could pay less elsewhere or online.

Rich-n-Texas
01-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Far be it from moi to fore go pickin' the bones of rampant consumerism... err I went down there yesterday at lunch. Didn't see anything worth buying at THEIR prices but I've my eye on a couple of things that I might pick up in a week or two. I did get a new copy of Crysis for 29 bucks, but other than that. I'll might pick up an Onkyo 806 when the price drops below ludicrous, this would give me an HDMI capable receiver for the upstairs. Not necessary but if I can get it at the "right" price, why not... So, like a fat, old, black buzzard I sits in my tree, picking my teefes, waitin' for the missionary to drop dead in the sand.

Da Worfster
Crysis? Wot Crysis?

L.J.
01-27-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm gonna start hitting up CC in my area as well. I grabbed my outdoor speakers at 50% off when Good Guys closed. Picked up a Denon cd changer, Senn headphones and a stack of DVD audio as well. I did like Wooch and waited around til prices hit a pretty decent mark. Once you miss that small window, you end up picking through the remaining garbage left behind.