Oppo Digital update [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Oppo Digital update

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Don't know if anyone's been to their website recently, but both the 980 and 981 now include HDMI. I'm certain the 981 previously only went as high as component out, and I assume this is being offered now because the 983 is about to be replaced with the BDP 83 Blu-ray player. Both are still being sold direct from Oppo at the same previous price point. I went to Amazon to see if free shipping was being offered for either, and to my surprise they both include free shipping.

The price for the 980 @ Oppo = $169.00, the price @ Amazon = $169.99.

So I bought one. :ihih:

GMichael
01-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Spending again huh? Did you get that BFD already?

BadAssJazz
01-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure if there was a previous version to my Oppo, but I bought mine last year and it came with HDMI connectivity.

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
You have the 980, and I think the 981 didn't have HDMI. Could be wrong.

GM, well, no, not yet. I'm looking for instant gratification. I get rattled when I start hearing about RIF's at work, and this is like eating chocolate bars as a means to calm me down. :yesnod:

Luvin Da Blues
01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a 981 and it has HDMI but no component connections.

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Oh well. I guess that blows this thread up right in my face doesn't it? :cryin:

nightflier
01-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Any news on the BR player. I read that SACD/BR players are starting to trickle in at Denon & others. Of course, those guys are MSRPing it at $2K and up, and I'd pay that for a Primare or maybe even NAD, but not a Denon, sorry. These formats change too fast for me to spend $2K on a format that will be passed up with something else in a couple of years.

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
The page on the Oppo site for the 983 had a link to info on the new BD player (I suspect) instead of the "Buy" button, but I didn't click on it.

www.oppodigital.com (http://www.oppodigital.com). Check it out.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Any news on the BR player. I read that SACD/BR players are starting to trickle in at Denon & others. Of course, those guys are MSRPing it at $2K and up, and I'd pay that for a Primare or maybe even NAD, but not a Denon, sorry. These formats change too fast for me to spend $2K on a format that will be passed up with something else in a couple of years.

Funny, I know of nothing else set up to replace the Bluray format. There is nothing even in the pipeline that could TRY and replace it. Digital downloads are certainly not going to do it, not any time soon. The market is too fractured with different interfaces and rules, and everyone wants their system to be "the" system. I am not saying spend the 2K, but your statement as to why you wouldn't has to be at least factual.

Woochifer
01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Digital downloads are certainly not going to do it, not any time soon. The market is too fractured with different interfaces and rules, and everyone wants their system to be "the" system

All of these tech pundits that push their inane doomsday predictions for Blu-ray while shamelessly pimping downloads never mention the ridiculously bakanized market for digital downloads. I wonder why ... :rolleyes:

Among the downloading schemes out there, there's a whole myriad of file formats and DRM rules, which are all different from one provider to another. This puts severe limitations on device interoperability and transfers, in addition to limited viewing windows. And each of the companies selling/renting digital downloads has to negotiate separate agreements with the studios, which means different content being offered by each provider.

Tech writers just don't get it. Consumers aren't enamored with technology for its own sake. They won't put up with arbitrary hoops to jump through, technical minutiae, and restricted viewing choices just to fulfill some utopian pipe dream of convergence. Distributed media over a home network sounds great in theory, but the practice is a lot messier.

Woochifer
01-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Good price for a good player. :thumbsup: At the very least, you got a solid performer for multichannel music, and one of the better performing upconverting DVD players. As others have mentioned, the 981 is HDMI-only. Without looking it up, I believe that the 980 actually uses DVI as the digital video output (HDMI compatible with an adaptor plug), which works out great for people who own older HDTVs that lack HDCP compatibility.

Worf101
01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I have a 981 and it has HDMI but no component connections.
+1 here. HDMI only. Which is fine with me.

Da Worfster

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Good price for a good player. :thumbsup: At the very least, you got a solid performer for multichannel music, and one of the better performing upconverting DVD players. As others have mentioned, the 981 is HDMI-only. Without looking it up, I believe that the 980 actually uses DVI as the digital video output (HDMI compatible with an adaptor plug), which works out great for people who own older HDTVs that lack HDCP compatibility.
My plan is to replace my old Panny DVD-F87 changer. I have to believe I'm moving to a better transport as well as a better DAC. Plain ol' CD's played on the F-87 are, IMO too "warm", and on the PS3, too "bright"... "crisp", almost to the point of HF distortion (room treatments and BFD notwithstanding). Another great bang for the buck the 980 is. I really wanted to work a Pioneer CDP into my lineup just for nostalgia's sake, but it wouldn't have been a practical move.

Luvin Da Blues
01-16-2009, 08:34 PM
My plan is to replace my old Panny DVD-F87 changer.......

If your thinking OPPO and you didn't see this on their website...

"Display Device Compatibility:
* The DV-983H can be used with any display technology - Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS, or CRT; flat panel, front projection, rear projection, or direct-view tube. Its "stretch" aspect ratio control mode is especially useful for high-end projectors with an anamorphic lens.
* The DV-981HD shows its advantage with large screen displays. On a smaller screen, the performance advantage is offset by the screen size and becomes less important. If your projector or flat panel TV has a native resolution of 1920x1080 and can accept the 1080p/60 signal, and you are looking for excellent film-like picture quality, the DV-981HD is highly recommended. When used with some rear projection TVs, especially those with DLP technology, the DV-981H may make encoding defects in video very noticeable. This problem is often called "Macroblocking". It can be avoided by carefully calibrating the display, but calibration is often time-consuming. To avoid the problem, the DV-983H or DV-980H should be used with such rear projection TVs.
* The DV-980H supports all display technologies. It is recommended for display device with smaller screen size for the best performance/cost ratio. It is also highly recommended for users with rear projection TVs, especially those with DLP technology because the DV-980H does not exhibit the "Macroblocking" issue.

HDMI Output Resolution:
* All three models support the following output resolutions: NTSC: 1080p/1080i/720p/480p, PAL: 1080p/1080i/720p/576p.
* The DV-980H in addition supports 480i/576i native SD resolution over HDMI. If you use an external video signal processor with HDMI input the DV-980H is highly recommended.

Component Output:
* The DV-983H offers component output. However the component output does not feature "VRS by Anchor Bay" video processing. Video performance over component is similar to that of the DV-980H.
* The DV-981HD does not have component output.
* The DV-980H offers component output and is recommended you plan to use component video as the primary video connection.

pixelthis
01-16-2009, 08:52 PM
You have the 980, and I think the 981 didn't have HDMI. Could be wrong.

GM, well, no, not yet. I'm looking for instant gratification. I get rattled when I start hearing about RIF's at work, and this is like eating chocolate bars as a means to calm me down. :yesnod:

CHOCLATE BARS are cheaper.
Why buy such an antique?
A blu player can be had for near that much.
Although the new BLU oppo will solve the problem of playing SACD while your blu player is hooked to your 5.1, I cant see any reason to buy a plain DVD player right now.
Blu is such an advance.
Kinda like all of the people who got such a "deal" on laser when DVD came out,
or "really made out" with a low priced discontinued HD player.
Anyway you now will be outta work AND outta money, how does that improve things.
Heck, with the candy bars you at least will put a little weight on to getcha through the hard times.
I havent even looked at a DVD since I got my Blu player.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Your asking a lot of me at midnight on a Friday LDB. Suffice it to say, my PS3 does everything I need it to do from a video reproduction standpoint, but I want a better solution for CD playback. $169 is reasonable, $229, not so much. The 983 isn't being offer anymore as far as I can tell...

Pix, shut the fvck up. It's late. :incazzato:

blackraven
01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I talked to an oppo tech last year and he said the 980 is better for audio and the 981 is better for video.

Feanor
01-17-2009, 05:18 AM

I have a 980, and it does have HDMI output, 1.2a, and will pass a pure a DSD signal if your downstream component can handle it. (I don't use the HDMI because I still only have a 27" CRT to watch; also my old Panny X25 doesn't have HDMI either.)

kexodusc
01-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Wake me up when the BluRay player gets here...
For once Pixie and I agree....ain't no way I'm buying a DVD player when there's chocolate bars to be et.

Rich-n-Texas
01-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Who here has a 5+ year old DVD changer?

Rich-n-Texas
01-17-2009, 05:57 AM
I talked to an oppo tech last year and he said the 980 is better for audio and the 981 is better for video.
That's why I'm buying a 980. Surely everyone can agree that it's a good upgrade over my current CDP, can't we?

blackraven
01-17-2009, 04:20 PM
It should be a very good upgrade from that panasonic dvd changer (my daughter has the same one) and it will play SACD to boot!

It should also make a good transport for a DAC if you choose to upgrade in the future.

nightflier
01-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Wooch et al,

I'm not pimping digital downloads or knocking the BR format. I'm only saying that it doesn't take long for a player to become outdated. When DVI arrived, it looked more promissing then the newer but less known HDMI. When HDMI finally got some traction, everybody said that was the future, then they said it had to be a certain version number, and the dance goes on. That's all fine for a $400 player, but for a $2K+ player, that's a bit of a gamble.

I came very close to purchasing the Denon 3910 DVD/SACD because it had DVI and I was bying into the reasoning that Outlaw Audio was professing about that format's supposed superiority over HDMI. I'm sure glad I didn't fall for that - it would have set me back $2K back then. Now I see these Denon BR/SACD players in the same ridiculous price range and I'm hearing the same song & dance. But what amazes me is that the video processing on these Chinese made players doesn't impress the reviewers more than those in the $400-600 players, so I'm guessing Denon is just over-pricing the player again.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I need to watch my spending this year. So if I can get even 90% of the performance out of a player that costs 1/4 as much, then that's what I'll do. Someone else can buy that ridiculously-priced Denon - I think I'll be just fine with a Panasonic or Oppo BR player. Anyhow, it's not like I have a Pioneer Kuro TV either.

f0rge
01-19-2009, 06:56 AM
i use "digital downloads" pretty often and they a nowhere near ready for primetime yet. the quality is on par with DVD for good quality movies and nowhere even close to bluray. for that reason alone i will continue to buy bluray movies.

i think it's possible for this to go mainstream, but not for a few more years anyway, and not until you're actually allowed to "own" the movies and you can store them on a set-top box. adding a computer to the requirements makes things too complicated.

then there's the bandwidth issue. currently canada's major cable internet provider has a 60gb cap for the main service, 95 if you want to pay a lot more. that's just not going to cut it if you're looking for even DVD quality movies. if i wanted to download something bluray quality i'd be limited to 1 movie a month lol...

nightflier - if you're looking for an SACD/BR player look for a 60gb launch PS3, they play SACDs and you'd be looking at closer to $500

BadAssJazz
01-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Who here has a 5+ year old DVD changer?

I have a Sony 400 Disc SACD jukebox. Does that count? :-)

pixelthis
01-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I have a Sony 400 Disc SACD jukebox. Does that count? :-)

I have one of those.
Its the rodney Dangerfield of CD players.
But it actually sounds quite good and is great for storing CD's.
RICH, if its CD you want you need something like a Cambridge CD or other dedicated
CD player, no DVD player will EVER sound as good as a dedicated CD player,
for a LOT of reasons.
Any CD changer will sound better.:1:

pixelthis
01-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Your asking a lot of me at midnight on a Friday LDB. Suffice it to say, my PS3 does everything I need it to do from a video reproduction standpoint, but I want a better solution for CD playback. $169 is reasonable, $229, not so much. The 983 isn't being offer anymore as far as I can tell...

Pix, shut the fvck up. It's late. :incazzato:

Later than you think...
YAMAHA makes a nice CD changer (for a changer) sounds really nice, 150$.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Why am I even readig posts from you at 6 o'clock at night?

nightflier
01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I had a Pioneer disk changer some time back. Sounded like crap, but once I put an Aragon DAC between it & the preamp, it improved a whole lot. The other problem with many less expensive chnagers is that they didn't have internal memory, so finding that one disk was a pain in the you know what. I'm pretty sure the new multi-disk changers don't have this issue anymore, but back then there were just too many compromises.

pixelthis
01-20-2009, 11:14 PM
Why am I even readig posts from you at 6 o'clock at night?

I'm JUST SAYING...old buddy... old pal, is, have you even considered a
DISC player that doesnt do video?
HAVE you ever had a dedicated CD player?
VIDEODISC players are BAD CD players for a host of reasons, kinda like takin a
skateboard on a fifty mile commute every day.
I speak from experience, after using a Sony laserdisc for a cd player for awhile,
after hooking up a cheap teac five disc CD player it beat the PANTs offa my 600 dollar laser player at least as far as CD playback goes.
About to buy one myself, if I CAN FIND ONE cheap enough to play CD and sacd.:1:

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/cdplayers.html

pixelthis
01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
There is something nice about a dedicated CD player, with the format dying a slow death,
there is still no other media that has everything on it.
AND SITTING AROUND with a drink, listening to jazz, rock, whatever, its an experience like no other.
And you can buy one for about what you paid for the OPPO.
If you have a BLU you dont need the oppos video section.
Why use a multitool when you can use a precision instrument?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Precision instruments are VERY expensive. I shouldn't even be spending money right now, but I've read soooo many good reviews, opinions...etc that I just couldn't hold back any longer.

Still, I do have options with the Oppo that I didn't have with my DVD changer, and I'm sure the transport is of much higher quality than what's in the Panny. As was already suggested, I can add a DAC down the road.

(Besides, I have all those holes in the back of my receiver that I need to plug up. :biggrin5:)

Luvin Da Blues
01-21-2009, 05:19 AM
(Besides, I have all those holes in the back of my receiver that I need to plug up. :biggrin5:)

This is very important and is often overlooked. You don't want any sound to leak out of those holes. :crazy:

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement LDB. :yesnod:

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Anyway, it arrived last night. Well packaged and the player itself was in a neat black pouch with "OPPO" printed on it. This player MUST be made with pride in the US, so that's one less rant from pixie...old buddy... old pal. :rolleyes:

It came packaged with a remote, RCA audio and video cables, and a very high quality looking (with noise filters at each end) HDMI cable. Fits nicely in my audio cabinet and because the IR remote sensor is more centered on the faceplate, I won't have to stretch my arm like I had to do with the Panny changer when using my 880 remote. It's lightweight with a nice slim design and not as deep as the changer. This is good because now I won't have to worry about cables becoming disconnected due to the sharp angle at the exit of the cabinet.

This weekend is dedicated to a cleanup and dusting of the A/V cabinets and some mods to the audio cabinet, which includes replacing the flimsy backer board that screams Hey, I live in a trailer park!, with masonite (or whatever that brown 1/8" stuff is) board I got at Home Depot sometime back.

I'm going to connect it to my receiver with the HDMI cable for now, but, and if I've got my facts straight, I may just use the 5.1 analog out connections from player to receiver for better sound from the player's DAC. I don't have a set of cables to do a comparison right now though.

So, if the result of this is a happy medium between too bright, from the PS3, and too warm, from the changer when I'm playing CD's, I'll feel like it was worth the effort. My SACD collection = 4 but could grow if I see more of the type of music I like.

We shall see.

kexodusc
01-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Rich, you're probably tech savvy enough to go 100% digital by now aren't you? Get a good sound card or use the PS3 and stream music with TVersity.

FWIW, I have a few decent CD players, an old Yamaha that's ok and a nicer sounding, newer Arcam that I paid decent bucks for. You'll be hard pressed to hear the differences vs using lossless audio from your computer or streamed. If seeking the biggest system-wide sound quality improvement for your hard-earned dollars, I can think of a few better formulated decisions you could make to maximize return on your investment than a higher end CD player at this time.

And remember, there's always something better, but if you reach the point where it satisfaction is 100%, good enough is good enough.

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Truthfully kex, I'm not real happy with Tversity right now. And I'm still in a fog with FLAC and the other lossless formats for a PC. I looked into some of the lossless audio players that Mr. P talked about, but none of them are free anymore, as far as I could tell. As far as a sound card, I'm willing to bet a card that's higher quality than my current Soundblaster will cost more than the Oppo, don't you think?

Now, lets talk about "better formulated decisions" (wise guy). Remember, I'm neurotic and paranoid. I tend to do stupid things when talk of massive lay-offs are tossed around at work. Fact is, the BFD is pretty cheap and really won't be much of a setback. I'm dedicating this weekend to my A/V stuff and I'm going try to get more panels together. In the meantime my A/V mentor, if you have pictures of your panels (you descibed how you put them together, but pictures would help even more), can you post them up? L.J said he was going to update his library but that hasn't happened. I'm not liking the way my panels look so I want to try a new construction method.

blackraven
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Rich, you will really appreciate the SACD sound from this player. From what I have read, SACD playback is where this player shines. STD CD playback is supposed to be average, but SACD is very good and compares well with more expensive players. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the 980 or wait for the Oppo BR to use as an SACD and BRP. My Sony BR takes forever to power up and load.

The 980 is a great deal at its price point. If your not happy with CD sound, you can always use it as a transport and get a nice DAC.

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I wholeheartedly agree blackraven. The other thing is, when I want the convenience of just hitting a key on my remot, pop in a disk (Gawd thi keyboard sucks!) and walk away, I have that.

kexodusc
01-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Truthfully kex, I'm not real happy with Tversity right now. And I'm still in a fog with FLAC and the other lossless formats for a PC. I looked into some of the lossless audio players that Mr. P talked about, but none of them are free anymore, as far as I could tell. As far as a sound card, I'm willing to bet a card that's higher quality than my current Soundblaster will cost more than the Oppo, don't you think?
Windows Media Player can do lossless for free? Not sure what you mean? The soundcard probably does cost more than the Oppo, and I can't guarantee you'd hear enough sound improvement to think it was money well spent.

Now, lets talk about "better formulated decisions" (wise guy). Remember, I'm neurotic and paranoid. I tend to do stupid things when talk of massive lay-offs are tossed around at work.
First, I really hope you escape any of that mess unscathed. Those things are more important than audio. Good luck to you.

Fact is, the BFD is pretty cheap and really won't be much of a setback. I'm dedicating this weekend to my A/V stuff and I'm going try to get more panels together. In the meantime my A/V mentor, if you have pictures of your panels (you descibed how you put them together, but pictures would help even more), can you post them up? L.J said he was going to update his library but that hasn't happened. I'm not liking the way my panels look so I want to try a new construction method.

I don't have any pictures right now. Remember, the only digital camera I own is attached to my cell phone and sucks PQ wise, but I'll see what I can do - I did take some with my cousins camera when we made some so maybe he has them, lemme check.

In the meantime...here's the website I followed most closely"
http://www.bobgolds.com/TrapMartin/home.htm
Any questions, fire away and I'll be as thorough as I can to help you out.

I used my staple gun instead of the fabric-glue. And I used the natural colour burlap in my old room (that pale beige) instead of his white fabric. I also wrapped my panels with polyfill batting just for precaution to make sure the yellow insulation didn't escape through the front of the fabric. But I think that might be overkill now. Also, the backs of mine are left exposed to save fabric.

Somewhere down the line I'd like to buy new fabric to better jive with espresso brown walls I picked for my HT room...the color match isn't terrible, but not great.

As for the BFD - that's a cheap, easy way to vastly improve the bass performance for music and HT listening. When things settle down, there'll be one out there waiting for you.

Rich-n-Texas
01-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Windows Media Player can do lossless for free? Not sure what you mean? The soundcard probably does cost more than the Oppo, and I can't guarantee you'd hear enough sound improvement to think it was money well spent.
I had a lot of problems setting up WMP network sharing, but when I finally did get it to work, I'd experience dropouts while songs were streaming. And it was a crapshoot as to whether or not my receiver would even play a WMA, even though it was supposed to.

First, I really hope you escape any of that mess unscathed. Those things are more important than audio. Good luck to you.
Thanks, I appreciate the thoughts.

I don't have any pictures right now. Remember, the only digital camera I own is attached to my cell phone and sucks PQ wise, but I'll see what I can do - I did take some with my cousins camera when we made some so maybe he has them, lemme check.
Yes, I remember when your digital camera went uhh... overboard. :lol:

In the meantime...here's the website I followed most closely"
http://www.bobgolds.com/TrapMartin/home.htm
Any questions, fire away and I'll be as thorough as I can to help you out.
Thanks and stay tuned.

I used my staple gun instead of the fabric-glue. And I used the natural colour burlap in my old room (that pale beige) instead of his white fabric. I also wrapped my panels with polyfill batting just for precaution to make sure the yellow insulation didn't escape through the front of the fabric. But I think that might be overkill now. Also, the backs of mine are left exposed to save fabric.
Which means you had to stretch the fabric over the panel before you stapled it right? That's a problem for me. I only have two hands, and with these 2 x 4 panels I can't keep the burlap taught while fastening it to the MDF panel. :confused5:

Somewhere down the line I'd like to buy new fabric to better jive with espresso brown walls I picked for my HT room...the color match isn't terrible, but not great.
Espresso brown eh? I painted the walls Parchment; very light color, and I also used "natural" colored burlap. I went back to Jo-Ann Fabics, bought more of that as well as a slightly darker colored burlap. Both colors should coordinate well with my room, but I'm no interior decorator so what do I know? :idea:

As for the BFD - that's a cheap, easy way to vastly improve the bass performance for music and HT listening. When things settle down, there'll be one out there waiting for you.
I know. The plug-it-in-and-go aspect of the Oppo provides me instant gratification, just like when some people get stressed, they eat chocolate. The BFD's going to take a lot of work to setup then a lot of tweaking; I'm looking forward to doing that, but I've got this one hurdle to get over first.

Thanks for sticking with me dude.

kexodusc
01-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Which means you had to stretch the fabric over the panel before you stapled it right? That's a problem for me. I only have two hands, and with these 2 x 4 panels I can't keep the burlap taught while fastening it to the MDF panel. :confused5:
Yeah, I just stapled the fabric on the back side (narrow side of the 1x3's all the way up, then pulled it tight working from top down (or from middle to the edges, either way). Then did the same for the other 2 parallel sides. When you get near the corners, leave'em...Folding is tricky and I don't do it cleanly. If you can wrap presents you'll be fine but I can't. I got them looking good from the visible side but the back is a mess..close enough for me.

Espresso brown eh? I painted the walls Parchment; very light color, and I also used "natural" colored burlap. I went back to Jo-Ann Fabics, bought more of that as well as a slightly darker colored burlap. Both colors should coordinate well with my room, but I'm no interior decorator so what do I know?
I found a few pics...how do I link to my gallery?
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=4754&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=230587

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=4755&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=230587

I know. The plug-it-in-and-go aspect of the Oppo provides me instant gratification, just like when some people get stressed, they eat chocolate. The BFD's going to take a lot of work to setup then a lot of tweaking; I'm looking forward to doing that, but I've got this one hurdle to get over first.

The BFD isn't hard to setup really..the online manuals are idiot proof. It's very easy to setup, get a few big improvements and have quick gratification. Getting optimal results takes a lot of trial and error and can be tricky. Of course you can download the auto room EQ wizard program if you have a mic, but make sure it reads LFE well (many don't).

Seriously though, it's not as bad as it seems. Cutting a few peaks at first is easy enough and that alone will be a big improvement. You'll be surprised.

f0rge
01-21-2009, 05:24 PM
where can i even get an SACD these days?

blackraven
01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Online stores like CDuniverse, elusivedisks, eastwind imports all carry SACD and XRCD's.

pixelthis
01-21-2009, 11:14 PM
where can i even get an SACD these days?

I live in a College town and was quite surprized that my local music store had quite a collection of SACD.
I am out of SACD now, my Blu player takes up my 5.1, but I miss it.
Meanwhile BLU concert discs will blow its doors off, really.:1:

pixelthis
01-21-2009, 11:23 PM

Now, lets talk about "better formulated decisions" (wise guy). Remember, I'm neurotic and paranoid. I tend to do stupid things when talk of massive lay-offs are tossed around at work. Fact is, the BFD is pretty cheap and really won't be much of a setback. I'm dedicating this weekend to my A/V stuff and I'm going try to get more panels together. In the meantime my A/V mentor, if you have pictures of your panels (you descibed how you put them together, but pictures would help even more), can you post them up? L.J said he was going to update his library but that hasn't happened. I'm not liking the way my panels look so I want to try a new construction method.

Dont worry about layoffs, TI does a lot of military work and their audio procs are popular.
Anyway enjoy the oppo, sure it sounds great.
AND when you're ready ...check out THIS.:1:

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/dac707usb.htm

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Online stores like CDuniverse, elusivedisks, eastwind imports all carry SACD and XRCD's.
I purchased a couple of my SACD's from CD Universe. Amazon carries them as well. They're not that hard to come by, but if you're like me and not so much into Classical and the like, selection is thin.

f0rge
01-22-2009, 07:11 AM
I live in a College town and was quite surprized that my local music store had quite a collection of SACD.
I am out of SACD now, my Blu player takes up my 5.1, but I miss it.
Meanwhile BLU concert discs will blow its doors off, really.:1:

oh yeah bluray concert discs...that might be a better idea anyway.

I purchased a couple of my SACD's from CD Universe. Amazon carries them as well. They're not that hard to come by, but if you're like me and not so much into Classical and the like, selection is thin.

i took a quick look and for the most part you're right, there's some decent stuff like dire straights, toto, journey, boston, michael jackson and CCR

but $54 for a journey greatest hits SACD???

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Nooooo. I didn't pay anywhere near that for Queensryche: Empire, and Elton John: "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road". I'll look at my receipts when I get home.

f0rge
01-22-2009, 07:40 AM
some were much more reasonable yes, just not the ones i want lol

Rich-n-Texas
01-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Well then you've been hangin' around me too long. :smilewinkgrin:

nightflier
01-22-2009, 12:31 PM
SACDs are also starting to show up at used CD outlets and there's a bunch on eBay. Prices are $4-12 for regular titles.

pixelthis
01-22-2009, 11:10 PM
some were much more reasonable yes, just not the ones i want lol

its kinda like other high res formats, dont waste time on low res crappola.
Like a friend who bought last days of planet earth on Blu for ten bucks.
Might I reccomend Herbie Hancock...watermellon man
Ivan LINS ... A LOVE AFFAIR
And the Mariah carey collection, and diana krall.:1:

nightflier
01-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Still fantasizing over Mariah, huh?

pixelthis
01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Still fantasizing over Mariah, huh?

I still have a pulse dont I?
She was the soundtrack during the nineties, got me thru some bad times .
Her and SADE.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I have her first CD which I still spin sometimes on Sunday mornings. From that point on though, IMO, she became too sluty.

02audionoob
01-24-2009, 10:25 AM
When I first heard Mariah on the Arsenio Hall show I was astounded. There's no predicting how they'll turn out as their career moves along, but with some eventual polish there was quite a voice in that girl.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKAab8ots98&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKAab8ots98&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

f0rge
01-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Might I reccomend Herbie Hancock...watermellon man
Ivan LINS ... A LOVE AFFAIR
And the Mariah carey collection, and diana krall.:1:

unfortunately not really my scene

Rich-n-Texas
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I finished fastening the new backer board to my audio cabinet yesterday after cutting out an access hole for the receiver, and after I make cuts for the other components, I'll have everything buttoned up and back in place. I connected the amp and all that along with the 980, set it up, and started a mini evaluation. I am impressed with the amount of technology Oppo has put into this little box that probably doesn't weigh more than three pounds, and could fit into a guinnea pig cage. :biggrin5:

Not going to go into a lot of detail right now and I'll tell you why. I only had enough time at the end of the day to play my copy of David Gilmore's "On an Island" concert DVD; the picture quality was right there with the PS3, but to my ears the SQ was slightly better. The brightness that was very clear with the PS3 wasn't there and once again, the bass response at my listening position has improved. I have it connected to my receiver via HDMI using a Monster cable (I know ==> :rolleyes: hey I bought it so I gotta live with it) and I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the 980, which has noise filters at both ends, out from the receiver to the HDTV.

I'll talk more about it later after I've spun a couple of SACD's (yes I have DSD enabled) but at this time I feel good about the purchase. :thumbsup:

pixelthis
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I have her first CD which I still spin sometimes on Sunday mornings. From that point on though, IMO, she became too sluty.

There is no such thing as
"too" slutty.
ON THE OTHER HAND...:1:

pixelthis
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I finished fastening the new backer board to my audio cabinet yesterday after cutting out an access hole for the receiver, and after I make cuts for the other components, I'll have everything buttoned up and back in place. I connected the amp and all that along with the 980, set it up, and started a mini evaluation. I am impressed with the amount of technology Oppo has put into this little box that probably doesn't weigh more than three pounds, and could fit into a guinnea pig cage. :biggrin5:

Not going to go into a lot of detail right now and I'll tell you why. I only had enough time at the end of the day to play my copy of David Gilmore's "On an Island" concert DVD; the picture quality was right there with the PS3, but to my ears the SQ was slightly better. The brightness that was very clear with the PS3 wasn't there and once again, the bass response at my listening position has improved. I have it connected to my receiver via HDMI using a Monster cable (I know ==> :rolleyes: hey I bought it so I gotta live with it) and I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the 980, which has noise filters at both ends, out from the receiver to the HDTV.

I'll talk more about it later after I've spun a couple of SACD's (yes I have DSD enabled) but at this time I feel good about the purchase. :thumbsup:

and I THOUGHT it took a long time to build the sistine chapel.
There is a TV show where they bail people out of DIY projects that they have become mired in, might wanna call em.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Dont worry about layoffs, TI does a lot of military work and their audio procs are popular.
No we don't. That's all part of Raytheon now, and has been for a few years. Might want to update your database.

Anyway enjoy the oppo, sure it sounds great.
AND when you're ready ...check out THIS.:1:

I may be checking out the unemployment line next. :sosp:

Luvin Da Blues
01-26-2009, 05:27 PM

Personally I would steer clear of anything that used Super Pro as a name.

pixelthis
01-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Personally I would steer clear of anything that used Super Pro as a name.

Aint that the truth.
But this is a reputable company thats well reviewed, and their DA converters
for computers (via usb) are supposed to be the ****zle.
Oddly I intended to buy one, but my creative USB outboard card is working fine,
especially since I got rid of the Roxio software that was knocking it off, so I really havent had much need for one, really.:1:

pixelthis
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM
No we don't. That's all part of Raytheon now, and has been for a few years. Might want to update your database.

I may be checking out the unemployment line next. :sosp:

Its always darkest before the dawn.
Surely it wont get TOO bad.
HEY, give you a few C-notes for those beemer speakers.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-28-2009, 08:05 AM
3400 were released pix. The words: "Internal support" refered to Facilities and HR, but no engineering organization was spared. I work in a group of about 50 engineers called Common Platform & IP, and we lost 4. One engineer volunteered to be layed off, one took early retirement and two were involuntarily released. Yup, dark days, but I think TI is now properly aligned for the upcoming "recession".

pixelthis
01-28-2009, 11:40 PM
3400 were released pix. The words: "Internal support" refered to Facilities and HR, but no engineering organization was spared. I work in a group of about 50 engineers called Common Platform & IP, and we lost 4. One engineer volunteered to be layed off, one took early retirement and two were involuntarily released. Yup, dark days, but I think TI is now properly aligned for the upcoming "recession".

Yeah, some "recession".
Its actually almost as bad as the depression already, and that lasted a decade

But please remember that even during the darkest days of the depression
seven outta ten still worked.
And people with skills are always sought after.
AND even if you are cashiered that will just give you time to play with your OPPO
and finish that eternal "HT project of yours.:1:

nightflier
01-29-2009, 11:16 AM
My history's a little fuzzy. The Great Depression lasted a decade?

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Don't know. Well before my time. Probably not pixies though. :shrug:

pixelthis
01-30-2009, 12:01 AM
My history's a little fuzzy. The Great Depression lasted a decade?

actually longer than that.
It took WWII to get us outta that one, even liberal economists admit that
Roosevelts policies only made things worse
Obamanation is following in his footsteps, so look for hard times for, like , forever:1:

kexodusc
01-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Yeah, some "recession".
Its actually almost as bad as the depression already, and that lasted a decade

Before the you jump off a bridge or climb a tower and start shooting innocents, you might want to read a little about the Depression and why what's happening now is not even a 10th as bad as what happened back then....

In the Depression, unemployment hit 25%...we're hovering around 7.2% today with no chance of hitting 1 in 4.
In the Depression, GDP fell 30%...we're looking at cuts of 1.4-2%.
In the Depression, more than 5000 global banks failed, and wiped out the savings of millions of people the world over...so far we're at 23 and counting, and deposit insurance in any nation with a clue protects the bulk of personal savings.
In the Depression, the markets fell by 80%, we lost 34%...even liquidating the value of tangible assets of companies at clearance prices wouldn't see this approach 80%.

I don't see 1 in 9 families having their children taken away from them because they can't feed them, or a mass exodus of children below age 14 leaving schools to work the railroads as Box Car kids.

Looking at quality of life:
In the Depression, fewer than 1 in 3 Americans owned cars, today the average household owns between 2 and 3 vehicles.
In the Depression, life expectancy was 58-61 years of age, today its 75-80.
People own TV's, have access to internet, better medicine, education etc, etc, etc....

You do your ancestry a gross injustice comparing the struggles of the Depression to the "crisis" today. Your grand daddy would whoop your ass for being such baby about this...

nightflier
01-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks Kex, I knew there was at least one historian among us.

BadAssJazz
01-30-2009, 10:12 AM
You do your ancestry a gross injustice comparing the struggles of the Depression to the "crisis" today. Your grand daddy would whoop your ass for being such baby about this...

So true.

And anyone already shooting down the Bush/Obama stimulus packages to bolster the troubled industries and get the economy going again probably should reserve judgment. The current economic crisis is not as analogous to the Great Depression in terms of causation as we'd like to think. As any doctor will tell you, just because two people show up at the ER with severe chest pains and difficulty in breathing, it doesn't mean that the medics are going to diagnose them as heart attacks and treat them precisely the same way. Bush's stimulus called for adrenalin (the immediate influx of cash) while Obama's package is offering adrenalin and preventative care. Neither are exactly the same as FDR's "alphabet soup" protocols. Yet.

pixelthis
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Before the you jump off a bridge or climb a tower and start shooting innocents, you might want to read a little about the Depression and why what's happening now is not even a 10th as bad as what happened back then....

[QUOTE]In the Depression, unemployment hit 25%...we're hovering around 7.2% today with no chance of hitting 1 in 4.

thats the OFFICIAL number, its actually closer to 16%...AND CLIMBING

in the Depression, GDP fell 30%...we're looking at cuts of 1.4-2%.

Its JUST GETTING STARTED

In the Depression, more than 5000 global banks failed, and wiped out the savings of millions of people the world over...so far we're at 23 and counting, and deposit insurance in any nation with a clue protects the bulk of personal savings.

WE ARE AT 23 IN THIS country.
And there is a lot more credit than there was back then.
International trade has all but shut down, and the effects are just starting to be felt.
AND "deposit" insurance, are you really that naive?
It only covers about 7% of the depositors.
What happens when the fund runs out.
Same as with social insecurity...THEY CRANK UP THE PRINTING PRESSES.
You might get your "deposit" but good luck buying anything with it.
Ask the good(and rioting ) citizens of Iceland , whose govt has just collapsed,
how goodtheir "govt guareentees turned out.
Deposit insurance!
GOOD ONE!

In the Depression, the markets fell by 80%, we lost 34%...even liquidating the value of tangible assets of companies at clearance prices wouldn't see this approach 80%.

The dow hit A peak of 14,000, Its now at 8,000 in the worst JANUARY ever.
Its down over 40%
But it isnt just the US, the NIKKI 225 is in the seven thousand range, down about
50% andd they say it will only get worse

I don't see 1 in 9 families having their children taken away from them because they can't feed them, or a mass exodus of children below age 14 leaving schools to work the railroads as Box Car kids.

Not yet.
During the first depression it took awhile for the full effect to hit, and it took several years for the dow to reach its lows.
More people grew food back then, I dont have any food growing in my back yard, do you?
We have a three day supply of food, and a nation of people who dont even cook
half the time anymore

Looking at quality of life:

In the Depression, fewer than 1 in 3 Americans owned cars, today the average household owns between 2 and 3 vehicles.

No, the average household has the NOTE on two to three vehicles, the bank owns
them

In the Depression, life expectancy was 58-61 years of age, today its 75-80.People own TV's, have access to internet, better medicine, education etc, etc, etc....

All of which goes away soon after you lose your job.
HAVE YOU EVER been on the receiving end of a layoff?

MY GRANDDADDY went through the great depression.
He was within walking distance to work, he grew most of his own food,
and still all his family had most of the time was flour and lard.
The point is that during this round we wont even have that much.
Most of the industry has been shipped overseas, few people farm, or have access to
food if they lose their income, and the govt is BROKE.
Dirivatives are at around 1,4 TRILLION, that will never be paid.
Thousands of houses that you brag about have been foreclosed on, the housing market has crashed in most places.
Which is really scary when you consider that taking out mortgages is what has fueled
the bubble of the last ten years.
You need to take the blinders off and look around a bit.
And the economic picture is the least of it.
It took WWII to get us outta the last depression.
We live on a planet with 40,000 nukes, and south Korea has seized their stock
market.
Some think this is because North Korea has declared all treaties void, a lot of people
think he is getting ready to march.
IRAN will have a nuke this year and is led by an apocalyptic religious fanatic.
Whats the good news?
There isnt any.
You are a guy who thinks he just got on the magic teacup ride, when you are actually in
THE SPACE SHUTTLE.
You are the one who is gonna get the "whupping" when you wake up broke one day with
no food and realise that you have been lied to.
DEPOSIT INSURANCE !!!!
funny.:1:

GMichael
01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

kexodusc
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
You are the one who is gonna get the "whupping" when you wake up broke one day with
no food and realise that you have been lied to.
DEPOSIT INSURANCE !!!!
funny.:1:
Nah, I will be around, enjoying my lifestyle, looking back on this "crisis" long after you are dead, gone, and forgotten, realizing it weren't so bad...
But if you're still around, feel free to climb out of your bomb shelter, throw away the "how to speak Chinese or Korean" text books you are reading, and look me up, I'll buy the first brew. :thumbsup:

pixelthis
01-30-2009, 02:52 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Thats about the only thing that aint falling.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey twit, see those pills in your av?

See what I'm sayin?

nightflier
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Pix, loonies have been chanting on street corners that the end is upon us since the dawn of civilization. Are you sure you want to compared to that lot?

pixelthis
01-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Pix, loonies have been chanting on street corners that the end is upon us since the dawn of civilization. Are you sure you want to compared to that lot?

ATTACK the messenger, doesnt matter.
Your serious lack of connection with reality will put you in a crack sooner or later.
If you are drinking battery acid and someone warns you about it, is he a looney?
Or are YOU?.
All of the info I get I GET FROM "fringe " media like the LA TIMES, the TIMES UK,
ASIA TIMES, BLOOMBERG,
yeah, real far out stuff.
Doesnt matter if you do shoot the messenger, the BALTIC dry index is still going to be off by 90%, half the planet is going to be covered with unsold new cars,
and when the grocery shelves are empty, and you dont have the scratch anyway,
will you're empty stomach feel better because you attacked me?.
Yeah, let me know how that works out for ya ace.:1:

pixelthis
01-30-2009, 03:59 PM
I can post crap and links all day long but its dinnertime, and I need to get
"cooking".
I LEARNED a long time ago not to waste my time with someone curled into a ball
with his "dont worry be happy" record playing.
Doesnt matter about ME, REALITY has a bad habit of smashing fantasies
DAMN quick, as you will find out ...SOONER rather than LATER.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
C'mon pix, quote me...

nightflier
01-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Pix, you'll let us know when the grocery store shelves are empty?

Luvin Da Blues
01-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey twit, see those pills in your av?

See what I'm sayin?

Uhmmmmm, Rich???

I think those are suppositories!!!

pixelthis
02-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Nah, I will be around, enjoying my lifestyle, looking back on this "crisis" long after you are dead, gone, and forgotten, realizing it weren't so bad...
But if you're still around, feel free to climb out of your bomb shelter, throw away the "how to speak Chinese or Korean" text books you are reading, and look me up, I'll buy the first brew. :thumbsup:

NO, thats what you THINK you're going to be doing.
Where do you think you are.
DEC 6, 1942?
One last chance to throw some water in your face.
70% of our economy is based on consumer spending.
Most of which is with borrowed money.
So close your eyes, fool, dream your dreams.
The asteroid has hit, and you dont know it yet.
BUT YOU WILL.
Just remember, a failure to plan on your part doesnt constitute an emergency on MY part.:1:

pixelthis
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
C'mon pix, quote me...

When you say anything of any significance I will.
You and kex prove the old saying
When you get laid off, its a recession ,
when I get laid off its a DEPRESSION

i GUESS YOUR DEPRESSION IS GOING TO BE kEX'S "RECESSION".:1:

pixelthis
02-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Uhmmmmm, Rich???

I think those are suppositories!!!

gO AHEAD, take a few, you will still be fulla ****.:1:

Luvin Da Blues
02-02-2009, 06:30 AM
gO AHEAD, take a few, you will still be fulla ****.:1:

Not no more.:thumbsup: Thanks for the advise.:rolleyes:

GMichael
02-02-2009, 07:19 AM
He's still at it?

Rich-n-Texas
02-02-2009, 07:53 AM
No one is pix-proof.

nightflier
02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
70% of our economy is based on consumer spending. Most of which is with borrowed money.

The portion of our economy that is dependent on the buying and selling of durable goods, is but a fraction of the amount of money spent on buying & selling of virtual goods and services, mostly by institutions, many of which are multinational. The individual American consumer is just a small factor in the larger economy.

pixelthis
02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
The portion of our economy that is dependent on the buying and selling of durable goods, is but a fraction of the amount of money spent on buying & selling of virtual goods and services, mostly by institutions, many of which are multinational. The individual American consumer is just a small factor in the larger economy.

CONSUMER spending is 70% of this so-called "economy".
Get a clue.
And you are not exactly a genius, a requirement for being a liberal is being a bit
dim, but I think even you can figure out what happens when 70% of the economy
disapears

And heres another tidbit you one worlders have forgotten while you were sending
all of our manufacturing capacity overseas.
DURING WWII we made our planes and tanks and jeeps in automobile factories.
When the last American auto maker shuts down where is our war supplies going to come from?
Guess we can call Shanghai.:1:

f0rge
02-04-2009, 06:28 AM
And heres another tidbit you one worlders have forgotten while you were sending all of our manufacturing capacity overseas. DURING WWII we made our planes and tanks and jeeps in automobile factories. When the last American auto maker shuts down where is our war supplies going to come from? Guess we can call Shanghai.:1:

many car companies that are not originally american build cars in the states, so there will still be factories.

but the bottom line is that no matter how you slice it, a plant that builds Malibus or Camrys is not going to be equipped to install 2500lbs gas turbine engines into Abrams tanks. tanks were a lot simpler "back in the day", as well as the plants being much less specialized.

but what was the point of that comment? are you planning on starting WW5?

Rich-n-Texas
02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
He's an extremist, isolationist and war monger all in one f0rge.

And a lot of psychobable spews forth from his psychosis too.

nightflier
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
CONSUMER spending is 70% of this so-called "economy".
Get a clue

You should probably take a class in economics. "Consumer spending," which I infer to mean by individuals, is only a small fraction of the economy. The vast majority of the dollars that change hands everyday buy no tangible goods. And if you want to talk about the CE market, well that's much smaller still.

pixelthis
02-04-2009, 10:42 PM
You should probably take a class in economics. "Consumer spending," which I infer to mean by individuals, is only a small fraction of the economy. The vast majority of the dollars that change hands everyday buy no tangible goods. And if you want to talk about the CE market, well that's much smaller still.

"Consumer spending" is 70% of the US gdp.
We are basically a country that sells hamburgers to each other.

I have heard this on every major and minor network on the friggin planet.
WHAT YOU ARE SAYING is a dream, really, that we would sell our "dreams"
(mass produced in silicon valley and hollywood and NEW YORK) to the world in exchange
for their "goods".
But that "dream" has turned into a nightmare , really.
The chinese just pirate our intellectual property, no way to enforce that, really.
And when our bonds and debt come due, seems that they would really rather have
cash than "dreams"
GO FIGURE.:1:

kexodusc
02-05-2009, 05:26 AM
As a point of information, you both are correct, sort of.

Nighty is suggesting that most of our economic activity is generated by services and not goods. That is correct. Over 55% of the US economy is generated by services. And over 70% of the economic activity is generated by non-good producing industries.

Pix said all the TV he watches said
"Consumer spending" is 70% of the US gdp. I have heard this on every major and minor network on the friggin planet

I have no doubt he heard "consumer spending" and 70% on the Monster Truck Rally Network he watches, that is correct. Consumer spending is the largest driver of economic growth and is 70% of GDP.

That 70% figure includes both goods AND services produced.

One is a measure of sectors of the economy (ie, primary - agriculture, mining, secondary - manufacturing, tertiary - services). The other is components of GDP (ie: the sum of investment, personal consumption, government spending, and net exports).

While Pix seems good at repeating what he hears smarter people say, he doesn't seem to be capable of applying it well:

And you are not exactly a genius, a requirement for being a liberal is being a bit
dim, but I think even you can figure out what happens when 70% of the economy
disapears

This is quite a stupid statement to make. That would mean absolutely nobody would be buying any goods or services at all. I guess all of America has stopped buying food, toilet paper, doesn't have power, phone, etc, etc....It's impossible for it to go to zero. Pix if you spend even 1 red cent in 2009 GDP isn't zero.
Even in the poorest countries on earth, people will consume REAL amounts of food and necessities, leading to real trade (forget nominal dolllar figures) under any economic activity.

What Pix doesn't seem to get is that economic drivers can shift back and forth instead of reducing outright. While Consumption might reduce in the short term, government spending is certainly going up, an GDP isn't going to crash as much as reduce a bit.

He seems so in love with GDP. Maybe he should look at the fact GDP in 2008 was still an all time high (real dollars) and that GDP even grew in the first half of the year...and with contraction expected, we might end up at 2007 levels. Oh noooo....the horror, I remember how bad 2007 was. Famine, pestilence, poverty.....aaahhhhhh....

kexodusc
02-05-2009, 05:35 AM
And when our bonds and debt come due, seems that they would really rather have
cash than "dreams"
GO FIGURE.:1:

Geez. Do you even understand why China holds so much US debt? They peg their currency to the US dollar and buying and selling debt is the only way they can do that. Cool part about that is, when the US economy sucks, it drags China down with it, so it's in their best interest to sustain an equilibrium of sorts.

The last thing China wants is to be repaid $800 billion worth of US dollars that are relatively worthless compared to when they purchased US dollar bonds...they would much rather be paid back $800 billion worth of US dollars that are the strongest currency on the planet.

:out:

Feanor
02-05-2009, 06:47 AM

Pix is RIGHT :eek: about the 70% figure based on what I've heard from various sources recently, (including Kex, I see). Of course, it includes both goods & services.

This is very high figure compared to most countries. As I see it, is symptom of a couple of complementary phenomenon:

A negative savings rate on the part of typical working/middle class people -- simply put, people have had to sustain their standards of living by borrowing. Standards of living are threatened by higher commodity prices, (oil, etc.), and global competition from lower wages and lax enviromental and other regulations. However capacity & willingness of financial institution to fund excessive personal debt came to a screeching halt quite recently -- as you might have noticed.
A relative failure to make domestic investments, either private production capacity or public infrastructure. Again, the big factor is the eroding global compedetiveness of the US, but also, pertaining to the first point, limited sources of domestic capital. Such investments as are made by US business are being made off-shore.Neither American (and I also include Canadian) consumers nor investors are coping very well with the need to limit expectations and adjust to global conditions.

Rich-n-Texas
02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Oppo makes a great universal DVD/SACD player! :thumbsup:

Luvin Da Blues
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Oppo makes a great universal DVD/SACD player! :thumbsup:

So..I see you're liking da OPPO.:thumbsup:

nightflier
02-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Kex, Feanor, I think you are forgetting about the buying and selling of stocks, bonds, gold, dollars, and other financials. That represents the vast majority of daily spending in the US.

kexodusc
02-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Kex, Feanor, I think you are forgetting about the buying and selling of stocks, bonds, gold, dollars, and other financials. That represents the vast majority of daily spending in the US.
Nightflier, the value of the service transactions are included in GDP (ie, the brokerage service), the change in ownership during a stock transaction doesn't factor in as no new economic growth is necessarily generated by a change in ownership. The actual value of the shares moving when buying selling stocks, are not factored into the GDP formula. THink about it. Otherwise a country could setup 2 trading computers to sell stock back and forth between each other infinitiely every year and drive GDP to infinity. No new value is created, not 1 job, no new investment into business, no savings. Just paper swapping back and forth.

The 70% figure is quite correct, I can point you to references upon request.

nightflier
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
But I never mentioned GDP.

kexodusc
02-05-2009, 07:22 PM
But I never mentioned GDP.
Fair enough, but Pix's original statement about 70% of economic activity is a GDP reference, in which my comments were based...if you're not responding to that, I'm not sure where you're going with your reference to selling/buying securities?

nightflier
02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
OK, I guess in all this excitement I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum - the most powerful hand gun... oh wait, that was another thread.

Rich-n-Texas
02-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I just stapled the fabric on the back side (narrow side of the 1x3's all the way up, then pulled it tight working from top down (or from middle to the edges, either way). Then did the same for the other 2 parallel sides. When you get near the corners, leave'em...Folding is tricky and I don't do it cleanly. If you can wrap presents you'll be fine but I can't. I got them looking good from the visible side but the back is a mess..close enough for me.
I'm going to attempt two more basically the same way as I did with the first two, only this time I'm going to make a jig that has a frame, lay the burlap over it, and then, with the fiberglass already glued to the backer board, snug it inside the frame and hope it's a good tight fit all the way around. I think I'll lay some heavy weights on it while the glue's drying, and hopefully this time I won't see any air pockets after they've been hanging on the wall for a while.

I found a few pics...how do I link to my gallery?
http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=4754&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=230587

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=4755&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=230587
I was able to look them over. You say you made your frames out of 1 x 3's?

The BFD isn't hard to setup really..the online manuals are idiot proof. It's very easy to setup, get a few big improvements and have quick gratification. Getting optimal results takes a lot of trial and error and can be tricky. Of course you can download the auto room EQ wizard program if you have a mic, but make sure it reads LFE well (many don't).

Seriously though, it's not as bad as it seems. Cutting a few peaks at first is easy enough and that alone will be a big improvement. You'll be surprised.
It's on its way. :thumbsup: Stay tuned... seriously. :yesnod:

Rich-n-Texas
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
So..I see you're liking da OPPO.:thumbsup:
Yes I am!

While I realize I'm not using good reference material to get the most out of my listening tests, I'm still hearing differences between the Oppo and the PS3. I watched my Pink Floyd Pulse DVD's last night, and from an audio SQ standpoint, the Oppo gave me a tighter I guess I'd say, playback. Another thing I noticed was that emphasis was more on vocals and other mid-range instruments, but the highs were still there and the LFE, while not as pronounced as is the case with the PS3, were there and again, tighter. I listened to the concert at about 80dB, and I think with some more tweaking I'll be closer to feeling the "punch".

I guess the best way to test the player is with some classical music in SACD format, which IIRC is better suited to my B&W's anyway. Maybe I can rent one.

kexodusc
02-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm going to attempt two more basically the same way as I did with the first two, only this time I'm going to make a jig that has a frame, lay the burlap over it, and then, with the fiberglass already glued to the backer board, snug it inside the frame and hope it's a good tight fit all the way around. I think I'll lay some heavy weights on it while the glue's drying, and hopefully this time I won't see any air pockets after they've been hanging on the wall for a while.

I was able to look them over. You say you made your frames out of 1 x 3's?

It's on its way. :thumbsup: Stay tuned... seriously. :yesnod:
I think I bought 1 x 4"s that are factory cut and not really 1 x 4, more like 1x3, then I remember ripping each one to make it 2" depth to match the fiberglass depth. Took a few minutes and I had a lot of kindling left that got used for shims or whatever, but not hard.

I didn't glue anything. Do you have the rigid fiberglass or mineral wool? Cut the rigid stuff 1/8 or inch too wide and stuff it in the frame. It'll hold perfect. Mine have for a few years now.

Rich-n-Texas
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
It's Owens 703 fiberglass. Mineral wool is a different animal, at least at ATS Acoustics.

I'm extremely power tool challenged; the only thing I have is a jigsaw, but I'm usually able to get rough cuts done at Home Depot. I'll see how these next two turn out. If they're aren't up-to-snuff, I'll box the last two (bought the box of six for $80) in a 1 x 3" frame.

kexodusc
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
It's Owens 703 fiberglass. Mineral wool is a different animal, at least at ATS Acoustics.

I'm extremely power tool challenged; the only thing I have is a jigsaw, but I'm usually able to get rough cuts done at Home Depot. I'll see how these next two turn out. If they're aren't up-to-snuff, I'll box the last two (bought the box of six for $80) in a 1 x 3" frame.
I think if you're christmas present wrapping skills are up to snuff you can probably do it your way. I'm a terrible present-wrapper so I rely on power tools. At the time it gave me an excuse to use my new air-stapler. :biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
02-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I had a lot of trouble folding the corners of the burlap over myself, and I think it's because I didn't leave enough overlap. I bought a much larger qty of it so there'll be more material left to make better folds, I hope.

nightflier
02-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I got lost, here. Tex, did you buy the new Oppo universal BR/SACD player? I thought that wasn't out yet.

Rich-n-Texas
02-06-2009, 06:12 PM
No, I bought the 980 to replace my old Panny DVD changer. Last time I was at their website, the BR player hadn't been available for purchase yet.

nightflier
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm seriously leaning to getting it, the price-point is just too good to wait. I'm probably the last guy here who doesn't yet have a BR player.

RoyY51
02-07-2009, 04:57 PM
...second to last...

nightflier
02-07-2009, 05:53 PM
And why is it taking Oppo so damn long? It's not like the technology isn't out there.

Rich-n-Texas
02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Ahhhhh... stick another stogey in yer pie hole and relax will ya? Perfection doesn't happen overnight knucklehead!!!

blackraven
02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I hope its taking Oppo so damn long because they want it to be a very good universal player. I want to buy one as well to replace my pos sony BDP-300 and to use as a DVD and SACD player.

Rich, how do you lie the Oppo as a CDP?

Rich-n-Texas
02-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I hope its taking Oppo so damn long because they want it to be a very good universal player. I want to buy one as well to replace my pos sony BDP-300 and to use as a DVD and SACD player.

CDP? As in CD player?

CD is dead. DEAD!

DEAD DEAD DEAD!

Rich-n-Texas
02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Seriously though, do you want the 2 channel version or the heavily processed 5.1 version?

Right now my receiver is in "Pure direct" mode and I'm listening to Pink Floyd "Echos" with peak volume @ ~ 90dB. I don't want to use this word because I agree with the person who says "warm" is just another way of lacking detail, but that's about how I would describe what's getting to my ears. What stands out the most is the rich bass from the Matrix 804's. Quite rich. Not overpowering but not real tight either. Cymbals are good; no distortion as far as I can tell, but I have some HF hearing loss in my left ear so...

Nevertheless, given the less-than-ideal room conditions, I'd say overall, in any processing mode SQ tops the PS3 by a thin margin.

blackraven
02-08-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm interested in the 2ch version.

Rich-n-Texas
02-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry, I should've indicated that when the receiver is in "Pure Direct" mode it's sending what the player's giving it... 2 channel only. The receiver is completely transparent.

blackraven
02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Concerning your statement about warm music. I do miss the detail and resolution of my Cambridge Audio 840c some times. I should have kept it along with my Van Alstine DAC which does quite have the same resolution as the 840c but it is smoother, warmer with no harshness. I may buy another 740c or 840c used to use with certain music, or I may go with a Benchmark DAC which some people say sounds about the same as the 840c.

Back to the Oppo, I'm glad you like the sound. I really want it for SACD playback to replace my Denon 1910 DVD player along with my sony Bluray

pixelthis
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
As a point of information, you both are correct, sort of.

[QUOTE]I have no doubt he heard "consumer spending" and 70% on the Monster Truck Rally Network he watches, that is correct. Consumer spending is the largest driver of economic growth and is 70% of GDP.

CNBC, BLOOMBERG, FOX BUSINESS, and the WALL STREET JOURNAL
have monster trucks?
GEE! WHERE?

That 70% figure includes both goods AND services produced.

While Pix seems good at repeating what he hears smarter people say, he doesn't seem to be capable of applying it well:

This is quite a stupid statement to make. That would mean absolutely nobody would be buying any goods or services at all. I guess all of America has stopped buying food, toilet paper, doesn't have power, phone, etc, etc....It's impossible for it to go to zero. Pix if you spend even 1 red cent in 2009 GDP isn't zero.

I forgot that nobody on this site is smart enough to analyze a simple statement.
Of COURSE that 70% wont disapear...JUST MOST OF IT

I was just making the point that this country is living on credit cards and lines of credit,
most of which disapeared when the housing market crashed

Even in the poorest countries on earth, people will consume REAL amounts of food and necessities, leading to real trade (forget nominal dolllar figures) under any economic activity.

YES, like in Zimbabwi.
Or the Weimar Republic

What Pix doesn't seem to get is that economic drivers can shift back and forth instead of reducing outright. While Consumption might reduce in the short term, government spending is certainly going up, an GDP isn't going to crash as much as reduce a bit.

AH yes, the old mind trap of Keynsean economics, the lie that the govt can actually
PRODUCE anything except war, inflation, buearcracy, and propaganda.
You guys never look at unintended consequences.
when the govt builds a housing project that increases housing, right?
WRONG, because the resources that created that housing project ALREADY EXISTED.
And since teh govt is less efficent than teh private sector LESS housing is produced with
the SAME money.
All the "govt" is going to do is punish the producers with draconian taxes and regulations,
in effect making things worse.
And if that isnt bad enough they will print worthless paper money, and every worthless dollar they print will make the dollars in YOU'RE wallet worth less.
There is nothing special about the US, we start printing worthless scrip and it will rapidly become just that, just like it has EVERYWHERE ELSE it has been tried.

He seems so in love with GDP. Maybe he should look at the fact GDP in 2008 was still an all time high (real dollars) and that GDP even grew in the first half of the year...and with contraction expected, we might end up at 2007 levels. Oh noooo....the horror, I remember how bad 2007 was. Famine, pestilence, poverty.....aaahhhhhh....

The "GDP " is near worthless, like most govt propaganda.
You probably have to shave 40% off of it to be near accurrate.
But you need a number to argue with, even if its probably imaginary:1:

pixelthis
02-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Geez. Do you even understand why China holds so much US debt? They peg their currency to the US dollar and buying and selling debt is the only way they can do that. Cool part about that is, when the US economy sucks, it drags China down with it, so it's in their best interest to sustain an equilibrium of sorts.

The last thing China wants is to be repaid $800 billion worth of US dollars that are relatively worthless compared to when they purchased US dollar bonds...they would much rather be paid back $800 billion worth of US dollars that are the strongest currency on the planet.

:out:

The reason CHINA holds so much debt is that is all we can pay them with, since we produce next to nothing anymore.
AND of course China would prefer to be paid with "valuable" US dollars instead of the worthless paper we put out that is backed by NOTHING.
Of course they dont really have a choice in the matter do they?
Going to be interesting when China tries to start reposessing US property to collect
on the debt they are owed by us.
Which is not going to happen of course.
The US is going into repudiation sometime this year, which will end us as an economic power.
Several states have already written and passed articles of succession(like New Hampshire,
Utah, ARIZONA, ETC).
When the US economy collapses a total military dictatorship is all that will be possible.
Think the US "cant" collapse? ASK THE RUSSIANS.
Just because something has been a certain way doesnt mean it will ALWAYS be that way.
I remember when candy bars were a nickle, and a drink in a machine was 7 cents,
and I am not that old.
This is not the same country that surrived the great depression, we are not made of the same stuff as our grandfathers.
And this wont be the "great depression", it will be the greater depression
Of course you dont beleive me, and thats fine.
Because you WILL.:1:

pixelthis
02-08-2009, 09:31 PM
CDP? As in CD player?

CD is dead. DEAD!

DEAD DEAD DEAD!

CALM down and take a blue pill.
Of course CD is dead, kinda like a serious DVD player that doesnt do Blu ray,
basically the buggy whip of modern electronics.
I do hope you enjoy your player, but I guarentee ya, when looking at the BLU
version there is gonna be a sinking feeling in that considerable gut of yours.
In other words, your hippo(excuuuuse me, oppo) is going to start looking like this
pretty soon:1:

kexodusc
02-09-2009, 04:37 AM
The reason CHINA holds so much debt is that is all we can pay them with, since we produce next to nothing anymore.
AND of course China would prefer to be paid with "valuable" US dollars instead of the worthless paper we put out that is backed by NOTHING.
Of course they dont really have a choice in the matter do they?
They hold US debt in order to buy/sell it fast enough to control their currencies value, pegged to the US dollar. If they sold a ton of it, it would make their yuan worthless, if they horde too much they lose their competitive advantage. It's an actively managed position.

Going to be interesting when China tries to start reposessing US property to collect
on the debt they are owed by us.

Good luck with that, there's no property backing the debt, just a good ol' fashioned IOU, backed by the good people of the USA.

The US is going into repudiation sometime this year, which will end us as an economic power.
Several states have already written and passed articles of succession(like New Hampshire,
Utah, ARIZONA, ETC).
When the US economy collapses a total military dictatorship is all that will be possible.
Think the US "cant" collapse? ASK THE RUSSIANS.
Just because something has been a certain way doesnt mean it will ALWAYS be that way.
I remember when candy bars were a nickle, and a drink in a machine was 7 cents,
and I am not that old.
This is not the same country that surrived the great depression, we are not made of the same stuff as our grandfathers.
And this wont be the "great depression", it will be the greater depression
Of course you dont beleive me, and thats fine.
Because you WILL.:1:

Well then, allow me to be the first to welcome our Chinese overlords with a great big 你好

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 05:14 AM
I think kex just said a curse word. :sosp:

Luvin Da Blues
02-09-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm curious how much better the 980 sounds compared to the 981?

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 07:22 AM
LDB, how do you manage your player's volume control? Do you leave it all the way up? I didn't even realize you could control the volume until I started playing a CD and the music was barely audible. I pressed the volume control on my universal remote, the volume got louder but the receiver's indicator didn't move. I said WTF? :idea:

Luvin Da Blues
02-09-2009, 07:58 AM
LDB, how do you manage your player's volume control? Do you leave it all the way up? I didn't even realize you could control the volume until I started playing a CD and the music was barely audible. I pressed the volume control on my universal remote, the volume got louder but the receiver's indicator didn't move. I said WTF? :idea:

I just use the players volume control to level match it to my other sources.

nightflier
02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
P.S. China's ownership of the US is a fraction of England's, to be specific, it's smaller than most Western European countries. Actually the Netherland's "ownership" (16M cheeseheads, less that Greater LA), is the second largest.

Pix, if I were you, I'd be a lot more afraid of having to eat stinky French cheese than having to wear a Mao cap.

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Pix is going to become the next Uni-bomber so don't worry about him, worry about that strange package in your mailbox. :yikes:

pixelthis
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
P.S. China's ownership of the US is a fraction of England's, to be specific, it's smaller than most Western European countries. Actually the Netherland's "ownership" (16M cheeseheads, less that Greater LA), is the second largest.

Pix, if I were you, I'd be a lot more afraid of having to eat stinky French cheese than having to wear a Mao cap.

They own trillions of dollars of our debt, trust me, they OWN us.
Of course , being the experts at being deadbeats we failed to explain that Roosevelt
signed over ALL US property (INCLUDING ALL BIRTH CERTIFICATES) to the
federal reserve in the thirties(its in the congressional record).
So the chinese would be in line behind the Europeans , in other words the Chinese
own the second mortage.
Serves em right, I coulda told them that bond sellers tend to be a bunch of skunks:1:

pixelthis
02-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Pix is going to become the next Uni-bomber so don't worry about him, worry about that strange package in your mailbox. :yikes:

I GOT A "PACKAGE" FOR YOU...:1:

pixelthis
02-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I just use the players volume control to level match it to my other sources.

Its got a VOLLUME control on a line level out?????

JEEZE

:1:

pixelthis
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
OKAY, I am getting a lot of "heat", doesnt help that the tame media isnt reporting
whats really going on.
THIS is my last off topic post...as a form of defense.
This is NOT a wild eyed looney, but a high ranking congressman talking about the first
bailout and the reason for it.
SEEMS that there was an electronic "run" on the banks, with some 550 billion being pulled out in a matter of hours.
If not stopped this would have led to a FIVE TRILLION "run" that would have ended the economy as we know it.
This congressman says we ARE NO BETTER OFF than that day, and that nobody is quite sure if it will happen tommorrow or if it will never happen again.
A lot of scary stuff, even more so coming from a congressman.
ALSO REMEMBER that since the "crash" late last year 40 TRILLION in wealth has disapeared from the economy, gone!
LISTEN TO THIS CLIP BEFORE YOU DECIDE JUST HOW "LOONEY"
I AM.:1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMu1mFao3w

Rich-n-Texas
02-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Its got a VOLLUME control on a line level out?????

JEEZE

:1:
What's your point dumbass?

pixelthis
02-10-2009, 10:53 PM
What's your point dumbass?

ITS JUST not nessesary is all, I have never seen a vollume control on a line out.
YOU KNOW, you seem a bit pissed Rich.
So heres a "peace" offering(see pic below)
I figure someone buying a DVD player for the price of a BLU player will LOVE IT.:1:

pixelthis
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
AND iffen you dont like that heres a hot off the presses copy of the latest
release of Sir Talky's autobiography, fresh out on BLU
(oh wait, you dont have BLU...):1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Well this one has a volume control okay dumbass?
And yes I do have "BLU" dumbass.

pixelthis
02-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Well this one has a volume control okay dumbass?
And yes I do have "BLU" dumbass.

WELL THEN, send your oppo back and get one of these, "dumbass"
You can thank me later.:1:

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/cambridge-audio-azur-540c-version-2.html

nightflier
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
I got a good chuckle out of the DVD rewinder. If that's a real product, I'd like to know who the F*** was the venture capital firm behind that piece of genius.

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Ask dumbass where he got it. Employee discount from Wal-mart I'm sure. :rolleyes:

pixelthis
02-14-2009, 09:01 PM
I got a good chuckle out of the DVD rewinder. If that's a real product, I'd like to know who the F*** was the venture capital firm behind that piece of genius.

A place that says they get theirs from Texas Instruments
DESPERATE TO GET INTO SOMETHING AFTER the way DLP is crashing and/or burning:1: