Wall plate connections w/ speaker wire [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wall plate connections w/ speaker wire

zepman1
01-15-2009, 06:40 AM
I am planning on running some in-wall speaker wiring to wall plates. Wall plates will have gold-plated terminals, and will be using gold plated banana plugs on the room side.

I'll probably just make a bare wire or spade connection to the back of the wall plates. I am a little concerned about oxidation on the wall side connection. Is there an effective way of "sealing" the backside connection to avoid oxidation? I will be using standard 12 ga. Belden wire.

Rich-n-Texas
01-15-2009, 06:50 AM
I think it was E-stat who suggested a solution some time back, but I don't recall the name of it. I have that problem with the 12 gauge OFC wire I'm using for my surrounds that I'll eventually need to address again, so thanks for bringing it back up. :thumbsup:

Luvin Da Blues
01-15-2009, 07:04 AM
If you can, I would solder them. If not, get some dielectric grease. Should find it at autoparts retailers or electric supply houses.

Rich-n-Texas
01-15-2009, 07:08 AM
The oxidation I'm seeing on the ends of my wire is under the clear insulation. Would soldering the ends stop it from happening under the insulator?

Luvin Da Blues
01-15-2009, 07:12 AM
I thought we were talking about the actual connection. Rich, I your case I would get the dielectric grease and apply it to seal the insulation from the air where you stripped it off. Hope dis helps.

Rich-n-Texas
01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm just saying that oxidation can/will occur behind the connection to the binding post, under the insulator, so you'll want to address that situation too. If dielectric grease will prevent that, then yes, problem solved. Do you have a brand name off the top of your head LDB?

zepman1
01-15-2009, 10:38 AM
So... for a bare wire connection at the back of the wall plate:

connect wire to wall plate
apply dialectric grease to the connection itself and to the end of the wire insulation
maybe use some heat shrink tubing as well over the top of the grease?

Sounds OK, but maybe a bit messy. The grease does not seem like a long term solution to me. If I have to go back there to apply more grease periodically, I might as well just trim the ends of the wire and reconnect. That is what I am trying to avoid here.

Any other options?

Luvin Da Blues
01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm just saying that oxidation can/will occur behind the connection to the binding post, under the insulator, so you'll want to address that situation too. If dielectric grease will prevent that, then yes, problem solved. Do you have a brand name off the top of your head LDB?

Sorry for the delay Rich (notice NO dissing your monatary situ). I'm lookin' at my tube (of dielectric grease). The stuff I have is called "Permatex" Dielectric Tune-up grease. I use this (and you should also) on all your auto connections to keep out any water too. I've had this Tube-O-Grease for 'bout 10 years now, so it goes a long way.

The idea of using heat-shrink tubing has it's merits but is not necessary cause this stuff doesn't harden, flow or evaporate.

Rich-n-Texas
01-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Permatex! No kiddin! An auto mechanics best friend. :thumbsup:

(notice NO dissing your monatary situ).
I don't know what that means. :idea: